The Interweaving Chapters: III :Birds

The Interweaving Chapters: III :Birds

A Chapter by Leap

   "I miss the birds."

   You miss the what?

   "The birds, darling."

   Ahh. Yes. When I needed to sleep, I'd sleep. I remember us sleeping til noon or one sometimes. That constant chirping, especially in spring, was nothing to miss. But now that you bring it up, I would love if we could find a song bird or two. I know we won't, but it would be nice, eh?
   What? What's that look for lady?

   "You know damn well we didn't sleep until noon or one. We were up and at 'em, we were just naked for most of those after morning hours. When we had the chance, at least."

   I miss your taste.

   "Visit your mind, and you will find it still lingers there."

   I'm struggling with all this, you know?

   "Yes."
  
   Stop being the strong one. I'm suppose to be strong.

   "You are, my sweet. You've always been strong. We're in this for eons, but we're in it together."
   "We've shared shoulders for crying our whole lives. We've always adapted. You've always adapted. You will. Just think of our freedom after. We'll be free for infinity. We'll be only light."

   I will adjust. I will. I...think our first life was our best though.

   "Do you remember when we first were married, and we thought I was pregnant? We were scared. Scared for so many reasons. The test came back negative, and even in the midst of struggle, we were so f*****g heartbroken that we were without a child. We were, by no means, trying yet because we wanted to be on our feet before we brought life into our lives. We were still so disappointed it didn't happen. If it would've, we would've adapted and made it work.
   A few years down the road, a few more dollars in our pockets, a better home. I think I'm pregnant again. And again, we were scared s**t-less. Still didn't feel like we were ready. Test was positive, and I remember your face. Your face was beautifully eager. Your smile, your tears...the uncertainty faded away to happiness. I know we were already happy, but our gift of each other killed any and all fear of struggle. Do you know why?"
 
   Because love conquers all.

   "Indeed. But also, we were meant for struggle. We were meant for sacrifice. We are the angels, so to speak, of humanity. We are the ones who got by."
   "We are far from the only ones. Everyone struggled. Everyone was angelic to a point."

   A fine point.

   "Yep, but nonetheless, a point."
   "Humanity's greatest struggle was with itself."

   Truer words were never spoken, baby.

   "Life maintained itself through difficulty. Without it, life was less than a point."
   "Now without life, should we still struggle?"

   Yes. We're still alive. We don't exist, but we're still alive.

   "We saw it through to the end. We see everything through. You know that's why they wanted us to finish this."
   "We raised a beautiful daughter, then a beautiful son. We will see them again, I promise."

   What if we don't?

   "We will."
   "Have faith, my husband. I'll leave you to take care of chance, you leave me to put everything in its right place. While everything is on pause, we are the ones to watch life begin again. Right where we left off."
   "We are the ones who give them a choice for the next transition."

   Which do think they will choose? Fate or chance?

   "Doesn't matter yet."
   "We have little responsibility beyond being here."

   Either way we're here until they make their decision.

   "We're here until they understand what it is we have that's so different from what they know. They need to find a new way to start life. They need less circumstance; less predestination. A new approach is what they need. Some thing with more endurance than matter. Something harder to hold on to, but easy enough to bare."
   "Baby, we are the keepers of true love. Without it, they have nothing left to build upon."

   I'd like to feel the weather again too.


  

 


© 2010 Leap


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This piece is amazing. The back-and-forth are completely brilliant and the whole feeling that you get when the person your with might be pregnant -- the fear and yet the thought that it's for the best and then the longing for it to be true. The last line is f*****g brilliant, my friend.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
1 Review
Added on July 15, 2010
Last Updated on July 15, 2010


Author

Leap
Leap

Portland, OR



About
cellardoor more..

Writing
Anaphylactic Backrub Anaphylactic Backrub

A Chapter by Leap