Looking for that Silver Lining

Looking for that Silver Lining

A Poem by J. Ghalden

Why is it that people always say,

"Look for the Silver Lining"?

Is it an excuse? A way to divert attention from what is happening?

If you think about it,

It's kind of like looking for a way out.

A way out of the bad things.

 

We give ourselves that mindset when we are young,

That "be good and good things will happen to you"

But we grow up to learn that it's more than often not true.

 

We grow to believe that no matter what bad things happen

Something good is soon to follow.

I keep wondering to myself if that's kind of like lying.

Do you not agree?

 

Is that why we say to "Look for the Silver Lining"?

This wonderful thing that will make things better?

Something bad happens and you think,

"Look for the Silver Lining"

Like you know it's going to come.

 

This "Silver Lining" is something made by humans as a scapegoat,

A mindset to make dealing with the bad things easier.

That is why we believe in a "Silver Lining".

 

Not because this "Silver Lining" exists,

But because we wish it did.

© 2011 J. Ghalden


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I never thought about it like that. hmm. . . very good poem.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Huh, i never thought of it in that way. Actually, i thought you were talking about something else. ha ha.. lol. But this fascinated me because im going through a rough patch right now and this made me agree with you. It's true.. i think sometimes it's like lying to ourselves. I always want good things to happen after the bad.. but often times, it's not there.. and that breaks me in ways that i can't deal with properly.. i love your poem. Wonderfully protrayed and written. =)

Posted 11 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
It's easy to say " "Look for the Silver Lining" when the shoe is on the other foot.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Just like religion. It may just have all been invented so people can believe in their "Life after death". Maybe we're alone.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Alas this is how I typically think as well...I think that makes us cynics... Your last two lines are perfect, the very heart of what hope means! But I am thankful for the optimists out there that balance the negativity we espouse! Can you imagine a world of realists if not pessimists? I think its hope and yes that "silver lining" that gives us the will to go on, to live to face another day. In fact I think its an important part of human survival, to bear the harsh strife of today in hopes that there will be a reprieve if not a reward tomorrow...

Posted 12 Years Ago


Ghalden, this is amazing! It is such a true story, and it reminds me so perfectly of what happened to me early December. Everyone told me to look for the Silver Lining! There is no silver lining. You're right; we make it up! I truly love the way you think! This is just such a powerful poem. True, Honest, Emotional. I cannot tear my eyes from it.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think it depends on the situation. In some cases a 'silver lining' can be found, in others it may not.
Great poem - thought provoking and an interesting look at a common phrase. I like the use of questions throughout this to engage the reader a little more.
I think you've said it wonderfully in the last two lines:

"Not because this "Silver Lining" exists,
But because we wish it did."

- and I have to agree with you there for the most part.
Nice work here.

Posted 12 Years Ago


this is interesting i would never of thought of it like that :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 8, 2011
Last Updated on December 8, 2011

Author

J. Ghalden
J. Ghalden

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada



About
Aah yes, back to updating my profile. I feel like this is all of a sudden some kind of writing community fake-up of Facebook. Oh well. Male, 19, attending Carleton University as a major in English H.. more..

Writing
Identity Identity

A Poem by J. Ghalden



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..