Prologue: Cycle of Life

Prologue: Cycle of Life

A Chapter by Daniel

 

Cycle of Life:
Prologue
 
Armoured knights trampled the village green to mud. To those caught in their path, they appeared to be bizarre monsters, their humanity hidden beneath hard, chitinous shells; razor-sharp swords gilded red in the most precious of substances - life’s blood.
All around, the air was thick with despair as the wounded reached out to one another with open hearts. The dead pretended to ignore their fate. Some lay with their ears pressed to the ground, as if listening to the slow heartbeat of the earth. Others directed their eyes upwards, watching cinders trace a lazy arc through temperate skies.
A shrill cry cut through the clamour of battle as an Arch-Mage, dressed in bright ceremonial robes, gave a renewed call to arms. The animalistic scream took to the air: a symbiotic blood-cry fashioned from a living soul, savagely pried loose from its corporeal holdings.
The invaders moved in a grim dance as they engaged the unarmed villagers in combat. Each wore a filthy white surcoat emblazoned with the twin signets of faith. The ancient symbol, which comprised of two interlocking rings enclosing a stylistic pattern, represented the link between heart and mind. Some of the village elders recognized it for what it truly was: a powerful sigil designed to unify the men in single-minded combat. Such tactics rendered them unstoppable, as it was easier to control men through magic than the archaic bonds of brotherhood and loyalty.
The invaders marched towards their defenceless foes; gazes filled with righteous indignation; cold hearts ablaze with lust for battle.
Death it seemed possessed its own voice. Its horror rent the still morning air. Everywhere, horror overlaid beauty - a grotesque juxtaposition of life and death. Then, the wheels of time unfurled a new day - a day as bright as the blood spilled freely beneath it.
As one, the army came to a complete halt. The soulless invaders coldly perused the battlefield. Bloodied and battered helms concealed deadpan faces and unseeing eyes. As a new and monstrous future was ready to be born,




© 2009 Daniel


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I wasn’t sure if I felt like reading something this long, but the first two words caught my attention. Woah…awesome imagery, so vivid, everything was so clear to read.
There was something so…biblical about the second paragraph. It felt rich in the history sense to it, I almost felt like there should be old tapestries to go along with the writing, depicting this gruesome scene of judgment and death.
You certainly know what you’re talking about.
Great prologue, with the ending, it was a great beginning into whatever is coming next.
Interesting with the title, and then the ‘life’s blood’ on the swords, curious to see where that one leads.
I’d love to read more to this!


Posted 13 Years Ago


I don't usually read this sort of thing, but I was very impressed with your use of words and imagery. Well done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


I really like your prologue--your descriptive sentences brought it to life--looking forward to next installment!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
3 Reviews
Added on December 8, 2009