Chapter Two: The Ruling

Chapter Two: The Ruling

A Chapter by Desirée Tolliver
"

Order in the court! Samson and Maqsedeth must go to court to receive their ruling: Guilty or Not Guilty

"
Samson awoke the next morning in a cell lying on something hard. His head was pounding, he had a ringing in his ears, and every single muscle in his body ached. He began to wonder where he was and then he remembered he had been arrested and that his grandmother had died and he began to sob.

Maqsedeth sat up, groggily, and moaned, "Ow," he moaned, "What happened?"

When Samson heard Maqsedeth speak, he wiped away his tears and took a deep breath, "Are you okay, Father?" he asked, softly.
Maqsedeth looked at him and sighed, exasperated, "I'm fine," he said, sarcastically.

Samson sighed, "I'm sorry, Father," he repented, "I know you're mad at me and you have every right to be. My actions were careless and it cost Grandma her life. If it wasn't for me, she'd still be alive." He brushed a tear from his cheek and sighed again. Maqsedeth studied him for a while and noticed that his eyes were red and puffy and his face was downcast.

He got up and sat on Samson's cot, "Samson, don't start talking like that," he sighed, trying his best to cheer him up. "I don't blame you for her death. You didn't know any better and you thought that Dan was maybe pulling your leg. I understand that, since he used to cry wolf all the time, but I'm not mad at you, Samson. I was angry about our oppressors and how they man-handled us, that's all. It wasn't you."

Samson stared at the floor and sighed but said nothing. Maqsedeth hugged him, "It'll be alright, son," he said as Samson sobbed on his shoulder, "You'll get through this."

Samson sniffled, "My birthday wasn't so happy after all," he lamented.

Maqsedeth sighed, "Don’t say that! Your birthday wasn't that bad, was it?" he asked, wondering if his efforts were in vain.

Samson shook his head, "You're right," he sighed, his heart heavy, "But we lost everything, including Grandma, when our house went up in flames."

It was Maqsedeth’s turn to shake his head, "You can keep the memory of her alive in your heart, in your mind, and in everything that you do," he encouraged, "You don't always need material things to be happy."

Samson nodded and lied back down on his cot. He sighed, "What are they going to do with us, Father?" he inquired, troubled. "We still don't know why we were arrested."

Maqsedeth shrugged and sighed, "I have no idea, son," he said as he stood. He walked back to his cot and sat down.

"What are we going to do if we get out of here?” Samson inquired. “We have no place to stay anymore."

Maqsedeth sighed, "Samson, stop worrying about that," he said, disturbed. "We'll be fine."

Samson sighed, "I have nothing else to do," he said, dolefully. "I've had a lot of time to think."

"Well, stop thinking, Samson," Maqsedeth said, sullen. "It's depressing."

Samson sighed and stared at the ceiling for a while. The cell filled with a piercing silence that seemed to go on forever. He studied the peeling gray paint on the walls as he lied on his cot. He wondered why this had to happen so suddenly: why their house got bombed, why his grandma died, and why all this had to happen on his birthday. He thought back and wondered if he could’ve done something differently. Even though his father didn’t blame him for his grandmother’s death, deep down inside, Samson felt that it was his fault. If only I had listened to Dan, none of this would’ve happened, he thought. Why didn’t I listen to him?

The silence hung in the air for a while before a noise at the cell door broke the silence. He sat up and spotted the same man who had dragged them to the carriage standing at the cell door, "Sheldon Hindridge at your service, sirs," he said with a bow, "A Mr. Rob, a Miss Molly, and a Mr. Butch are here to see you." He backed up as the Parish family stepped into view.

Samson and Maqsedeth went to the cell door. "Rob, Molly, Butch," Maqsedeth said, taken aback, "what are you guys doing here?"

Rob sighed exasperated, appalled at his question, "Mr. Maqsedeth, we're here to get you guys out of here," he said, matter-of-factly.

Samson sighed, exasperated. "We don't even know why we're here," he said, irked.

Sheldon cleared his throat, "You want to know why you're here?" he asked with a cold smile, "Oh, have you forgotten that earlier this month you stole the two items of power considered to be the Ancient Power of Old from our palace's vaults?"

Samson shook his head and glared at him, "Actually, they weren't stolen from your vaults by me," he said, his voice taut. "They were stolen from your vaults by someone else and used to seal Devious the Deceitful Dragon deep within the Ghost Town. The king sent me there to fetch them for him."

Sheldon nodded, "Yes, and you refused to return them," he said, unfazed by his harsh gaze and tone, "Therefore, you have stolen them."

Samson sighed, exasperated, "Those two items belonged to us long before the king had them," he said, flatly, "He stole them from us, so technically, he's the thief. Not me."

Sheldon gritted his teeth, appalled at Samson’s remark of the king, "You dare insult the king?" he challenged as he rushed forward, sword drawn at the ready. He hardened his gaze as he pointed his sword at Samson, "How have you know I can have you put to death for treason!" he threatened. Samson just stared at him, indifferent to his reaction. Sheldon cleared his throat and sheathed his sword, "Besides, even if those items of power were stolen from you by the king, you can't do anything about it because he's the king," he said coldly, chuckling under his breath.

Samson raised an eyebrow, "Oh yeah?" he dared, "Well, I'm very good friends with who is over the king of Manorá."

Sheldon cackled, "Oh really, Samson?" he mocked, "And who is that, the Patriarch? What's he gonna do? He wasn't even prepared for the cataclysm of the City of Aristotle. What makes you think he's going to be able to handle the king?"

Samson locked eyes with Sheldon, "Don't underestimate the Patriarch," he said, firmly.

Sheldon glared at Samson for a while before dropping his gaze, "You have ten minutes to talk and then you have to leave," he said to the Parishes, "Ten minutes." He opened Maqsedeth's and Samson's cell and departed from them.

Rob whistled, "It looks like you've got yourself in quite a situation there, Samson," he said, admiring how Samson handled Sheldon. "You have guts. Not even Mr. Maqsedeth would have been able to do what you just did there."

Maqsedeth cleared his throat, "I could have," he said, defensively, "but I just choose not to."

Samson sighed and his features relaxed a little, "So, what are you gonna do?" he asked Rob, "We only have ten minutes to talk."

Rob beckoned to one of the guards standing at the far end of the corner. The guard wore a navy blue tunic, black trousers, white gloves, and black boots. He had dark brown wavy hair and a mustache, and he carried a large spear in his right hand. "Could you take us to the clerk?" Rob asked him.

The guard nodded, "Right this way," he said as he led them down the corridor. The corridor seemed to go on forever before the guard took a sharp turn to the left. The guard made no sound while he led them to their destination, which left Samson plenty of time to think more about his loss. He hung his head and sighed, his heart heavy with grief and guilt. Maqsedeth put his hand on his shoulder to comfort him as they walked. Samson managed a smile and they finally made it to a window. The guard cleared his throat, "Well, here you are," he said.

"Thanks," Rob said as he turned to the window. "Excuse me," he said to the clerk. The woman behind the window looked up. She was bronze with jet black hair and almond shaped amber eyes, "Yes sir," she said, "May I help you?"

Rob nodded, "Yes ma'am," he replied, "I'm here to pay the bail for Mr. Maqsedeth and Mr. Samson."

The woman nodded and stood up, "Sure," she said as she opened her file cabinet. She handed him some legal documents, "You'll have to fill these out, sir," she said, "And we only accept cash or checks right now."

Rob nodded and filled out the paper work with Maqsedeth’s and Samson’s help. Then, he reached into his wallet and pulled out a blank check, "How much is their bail?" he asked.

"63,790 pesos," she replied.

Rob filled out the check and handed it to her. She processed it using a machine that marks the checks 'void' and handed it back to him. "Alright, Mr. Rob Parish," she said, "that'll be all for you. Mr. Maqsedeth and Mr. Samson, your trial date is a week from today, okay?" Samson and Maqsedeth nodded and the guard led them to the entrance.

Maqsedeth sighed, "I'm sorry you had to pay that huge bill for us, Rob," he said, mortified. "I'll pay you back."

Rob put his hand on Maqsedeth's shoulder and smiled, "Mr. Maqsedeth, don't worry about it," he said. "That's what friends are for, right?"

Maqsedeth smiled, "Yeah, thanks Rob," he said with gratitude.

Rob smiled, "And, I was also wondering if you and Samson wouldn't mind staying with us until you guys get back on your feet," he offered.

Maqsedeth grinned, "Thanks, Rob," he said, heartily, "You've done more than enough, I really appreciate it, I do, but I already have a place."

Rob’s eyes grew wide and his jaw dropped, "You do?" he and Samson asked simultaneously.

"You forgot?" Maqsedeth asked Rob, raising an eyebrow.

Rob thought about it for a while. Then, he recalled the house Maqsedeth told him about when they first moved to Chopin. It was right next to Rob’s house and he had totally forgotten about it. "Oh, yeah," he said, finally, "You do. Okay, well, we'll see you back at the village."

"See ya, Samson," Molly and Butch said. Rob, Molly, and Butch departed from Samson and Maqsedeth.

Maqsedeth looked at Samson, who was still staring at him like he had two heads, "You already had a place," he said, appalled, "and you didn't even tell me?"

Maqsedeth sighed, "It was another surprise," he replied, "That's why I told you to stop worrying about where we would stay because I already had it covered. One thing my mother taught me that I'll never forget is to always have a backup plan."

Samson grinned with delight, "Grandma was always wise like that," he sighed, dreamily.

Maqsedeth nodded, "Yeah, she was," he agreed. "Let's get going before we're caught out here after nightfall."

They walked on pass the Sunflower Palace until they made it back to the Chopin district at a dead end. To their right was a bunch of rocks, called the Jagged Cliffs and to their left was a cluster of trees. Maqsedeth turned down a stretch of land through the trees that Samson never noticed before. After a few minutes, they crossed a building that Samson never saw before.

It was a two-story mansion with elegant pillars and a gallery front porch, much like their old home in the Ghost Town, and it was right next to the Parishes' residence, which was a three-story mansion with a gallery front porch made entirely out of gold. It was raised a stretch so that there were two golden steps that led up the golden front door. There was a large moat, a large backyard, and a huge garage that contained two 1926 Duesenbergs and one 1935 Mercedes-Benz.

Samson gasped, "Wow! It's beautiful!" he said, gaping at the two-story mansion before him. "I've never seen anything like it."

Maqsedeth beamed, "You like it, Samson?" he asked. "I just thought it was an upgrade to our old residence that we used to live in, ya know."

Samson grinned, "So, you bought a new a house?" he asked him, "And, we're the Parishes' new neighbors, now?"

Maqsedeth grinned broadly, "No, I designed it and I built it,” he boasted. “And, yes, we are the Parishes' new neighbors, now."

Samson's mouth fell open, "You built this house?" he asked, flabbergasted, "Unbelievable! I didn't know that. How long has it been here?"

Maqsedeth shrugged, "Ever since a few days after we moved here," he replied. “So, it’s been here fourteen years.”

What? This house has been here fourteen years and he didn’t even tell me? Samson thought as he crossed his arms over his chest, "How come I never knew about it?" he demanded.

Maqsedeth smirked, "It wasn't important at the time," he said, waving his hand dismissively, "Besides, it was so long ago, that you would've forgotten about this house anyway."

Samson considered that for a while then he shrugged, “I guess you’re right,” he conceded. “So, how did you do it? Is there something you’re not telling me?"

Maqsedeth grinned, "I think maybe it is time that I tell you my secret," he said, lowering his gaze, "I think you're old enough to handle it, but keep in mind that no matter how good of friends we are, Rob still doesn't know this. No one knows this, so if I tell you, you have to promise me that you wouldn't tell this to anyone else."

Samson's eyes widened, "Not even to Rob?" he whispered.

Maqsedeth nodded, "Yes," he whispered back, "Not even to Rob. Okay, you promise?"

Samson nodded, "Yes, sir," he said.

Maqsedeth turned around and opened the door to their house. The first room they came to was the Foyer. It was much like the Sunflower Palace's Foyer, except about half its size, with neutral colored walls. Candle-like light fixtures hung on the walls and there were paintings on the walls of the landmarks from the Magical Forest: a painting of the Healing Waters, a waterfall spring that can cure any illness if drunk directly from it or any disease if bathed in it, a painting of the Serenity Forest, a forest on the East Wing of the Magical Forest, and a painting of the Lake of Dreams Residency, an independent residential section of the Magical Forest that is the home of the Magical Palace and the Lake of Dreams.

There were two staircases on either side of a crevice that led directly into the kitchen and the door to the second floor was at the top of the stairs. The ceilings were high in the Foyer and in the middle of the ceiling and the Foyer for that matter was a beautiful chandelier made largely of diamond and glass.

Their footsteps echoed loudly on the green marble floor as Samson drunk in the splendor of the mansion. He gaped at his surroundings for a while before being able to speak again, "Wow, Father," he said as he tried to catch his breath, "This place is amazing! It is beautiful and it kind of reminds me of the king's palace a little." Which is weird, he thought.

Maqsedeth sighed, heavily, "I know, son," he said, distraught. "Come. Let me take you to our living room."

They climbed the stairs and Samson noticed a door to his left as he came up, "Father," he said, "Where does this door lead?"

Maqsedeth looked to his left and grinned, "That door leads to the bedrooms and my in-home office and studio," he said, ecstatic. "I've always wanted an in-home office so I could work on my blueprints with ease, but the other house didn't come with one."

He opened the door to the living room. The living room had two cream colored sofas, one on either end of a mahogany coffee table. To the far end of the room was a bookshelf filled with books and pictures. On the other end was another door, "Father, where does that door lead?"

Maqsedeth looked to the far end of the living room, "That door leads to the Entertainment Room,” he replied. “Now have a seat, Samson, there's something I need to tell you."

Samson and Maqsedeth sat on one of the sofas. "Here's my secret," Maqsedeth said, "Years ago, there was a very poor man in the village Chamomile on planet Eros, by the name of Gerald. He worked for a farmer, but he was practically working for free since he got paid very little. Because, he didn't have much money and he owed a lot in taxes, the government repossessed the family's home to pay off their debt and they ended up homeless. Since Gerald had so little, the fairy, Camille gave him one wish. He wished for a son who would have all the knowledge and abilities of the best inventors, blacksmiths, architects, and mages of The Living Circle combined. He hoped that by having those abilities, he would possess the power to deliver his family from poverty. Nine months later, Gerald's wife gave birth to a baby boy with "hair like the bark of an Oak" as Camille said he would, which was to say he had thick brown locks. Fifteen years later, the young boy designed his first building, which would be the very thing to deliver his family from poverty. The Patriarch of Eros loved it so much, he paid the family a fortune, which was enough for them to finally leave that village and get a decent place in a nearby city, where they had stayed ever since. At least until the day that planet Eros became known as the Forbidden Planet, of course."

Nothing but silence followed that explanation. Samson stared at Maqsedeth blankly, "What does this have to do with the question?" he asked, puzzled.

Maqsedeth sighed, "That man, Gerald, was your grandfather," he replied.

Samson's eyes widened, "So, that means the young boy was you," he said, finally realizing the reason Maqsedeth told him that story. "Wow! So you know all about building houses and palaces from just one wish my grandfather made?"

Maqsedeth nodded in agreement, "I became widely known as the best inventor, the best blacksmith, and the best architect in The Living Circle," he sighed, heavily. "It was a great honor and a privilege." He sounded like the weight of the world was on his shoulders.

Samson raised an eyebrow, "Well, if it was such a 'great honor and a privilege' then why do you look so sad?" he asked, curious about why his father wasn’t showing any enthusiasm.

Maqsedeth fixed his eyes on him, "With great power comes a great price," he said, dolefully. "That's what Camille told my father. She said that while I'll possess these great abilities, there'll be a price I'll have to pay. One day, one of my comrades is bound to turn against me because of jealousy and that I'll die by his hand. Because of my great abilities, I am mortal. While the others will reincarnate into a new life, I'm the only Erosian who will die with no reincarnation. That is why I'm so sad. And what's worse is that there's nothing that can be done to prevent it because no matter what anyone else does, it will only delay my death."

Samson glared at the floor and sighed, exasperated. He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth, "But, why?" he asked, his voice taut, "Why do you have to die because you possess all of the abilities of the best inventors, blacksmiths, architects, and mages that have ever lived?"

Maqsedeth sighed and put his arm on Samson’s shoulder, "You can't get angry because of my fate," he said, "Just remember what I said to you earlier about your grandmother. Just cherish the moments you have with me and everything will be fine. Besides, I don't even know who this comrade is."

They sat in silence as Samson let that sink in. The news of Maqsedeth’s impending doom hung over Samson like a dark cloud. First, I lost my grandma now I’m told my father will die too? How long do we have together? Samson thought, troubled. "You mentioned something earlier about this house reminding you about the king's palace," Maqsedeth added, disrupting his thoughts.

Samson nodded, "Yes, Father," he said, trying to sound upbeat, "I did. Why is that, anyways?"

Maqsedeth beamed, "That's because I built his palace," he replied, "It was a long time ago, probably around the time we had moved to the City of Aristotle."

Samson gasped and his jaw dropped as he recalled all the times his father would disappear during the day to go to some secret job he had, when Samson was just a little boy. He never asked him about it because his mother always advised him against it. She told Samson that if Maqsedeth told him, he could possibly lose his job. "I remember, now," he said after a while, "So, that was your secret job. You were building things for the king."

Maqsedeth nodded, "But, that was a long time ago, Samson," he said, "I don't build things for the king anymore. I'm an independent contractor, now. I build things occasionally and if people like them, they buy them from me. But, remember, Samson, you can't breathe a word of this to anyone. Not even to Rob, unless he asks, of course."

The doorbell rang. Maqsedeth went to answer it and found Rob at his door, "Hey, Mr. Maqsedeth," he said, "I just came over to check and see if you and Samson have already gotten settled in your new house."

Maqsedeth smiled, "Yeah, Rob, we have,” he said. “We were just talking about you. You want to come in?"

Rob shrugged, "Well, I guess I could spare a few moments," he said as Maqsedeth led him inside.

Rob gasped and his eyes grew wide as he beheld the interior of the mansion and all its splendor, "Wow," he breathed, "I've never really seen the inside of it before. It's beautiful! I've never seen anything like it."

Maqsedeth carried him upstairs to the living room where Samson was last seen while Rob continued to drink in the beauty of Maqsedeth's mansion, "I know you finished this project a long time ago, but there's this one question I've never been able to ask you," Rob said, astonished.

Maqsedeth nodded, "And what's that, Rob?" he asked.

"Did you do all of this yourself or did you have help?" Rob asked him.

Maqsedeth shook his head, "No, Rob," he replied, "I built this house myself. For some of my projects, I have help, but for this particular one, I built it myself. It was the only way to ensure it was just right."

Rob gasped, "How did you manage to do all of this by yourself?" he asked as he spread his arms out wide for emphasis.

Maqsedeth winked at him and smiled, "Let's go into the living room," he said.

They entered the living room and Maqsedeth discovered that Samson was missing, "Samson?" he called, "Where are you?" He turned to Rob, "Don’t move," he said, "he's probably somewhere close by."

He went through the door to the Entertainment Room, which was a large room separated down the middle by a very thick wall of glass with a glass sliding door. On one side of the room were two white plush chairs in front of a large 32" flat screen HD TV, an Xbox 360 console, and a cable box; in between the chairs and the TV were two large tables designed like Xbox 360 game controllers, each one directly in front of a chair; on the other side of the room there was a large stereo system where people can listen to music and dance. He scanned every inch of the room and shook his head, "Nope," he said to himself, "He's not here."

He went through another door, which led to a small parlor with a juice bar and a snack bar. He didn't see Samson there, either, so he kept going until he made it through to the balcony, where he finally found him. He cleared his throat.

Samson turned to face him, "Father," he said, startled, "I'm sorry if I worried you. I was checking out the rest of the house and enjoying the view. I probably should've told you before moving."

Maqsedeth nodded in agreement. His brows furrowed, "Yes, you should have," he said, firmly, "Come, Samson. Let's get back to the living room. Don't you ever do that again, you hear me?"

Once they made it back to the living room, Maqsedeth told Rob the same thing he told Samson and charged him to not tell anyone else his secret.

Rob was silent for a while before speaking again, "And, you actually believe that you possess all of the abilities of the best inventors, blacksmiths, architects, and mages combined?" he asked, perplexed, "What if your father was lying to you?"

Maqsedeth sighed, exasperated. I give up, he thought. "Well, I guess we’ll see you later, then," he said as he stood, "We really enjoyed your company, but Samson and I need some alone time, right Samson?" Samson nodded, confused.

Rob’s jaw dropped, "You're putting me out?" he asked, completely taken aback. "Why?"

Maqsedeth sighed, "We’ll talk later, Rob," he replied, "Samson, please show Mr. Rob Parish to the door." Samson led Rob out of the living room and out the front door.

When Samson entered the living room again, Maqsedeth sighed, "Well, I guess I don't have to worry about him spreading my secret to everyone else in the village," he remarked. "He didn't believe me, anyway. Part of me suspected telling him was a bad idea because he wouldn't believe me anyway. He'll think I'm crazy and probably want to put me away, but because he was my friend, when he asked me I just thought he deserved to know."

Samson put his hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry, Father," he stated. "It'll be okay. Maybe he didn't deserve to know, if he was going to think you were lying?"

Maqsedeth sighed, "Thanks, son,” he said, managing a smile. He was silent for a while before speaking again, "I'll get dinner started and we can discuss this thing about having the Patriarch defend our case against the king."

He led Samson down the stairs and into the kitchen. It was a very large space with a dining area in the middle of the room. The sink, the microwave, and the oven were to their left as they came in, with the sink right next to the entrance and the oven to the adjacent wall with the microwave right above it. They also had a lot of cabinets: there were cabinets above the microwave oven, next to it and all around the kitchen.

Samson observed the kitchen and looked at Maqsedeth after a while, "Um, Father," he said, puzzled, "why do we need so many cabinets?"

Maqsedeth looked at Samson as he brought out a skillet and a medium pot from one of the bottom cabinets and placed them on the stove, "For storage space, of course," he stated, matter-of-factly.

Samson raised an eyebrow and Maqsedeth grinned, "It's not what you think," he told him, "You see, some of these cabinets are secret passageways into the rest of the house." He led Samson to a cluster of cabinets at the back of the kitchen and lifted them up, revealing another room.

Samson’s eyes widened and he gasped, "Wow, Father," he said, startled. "I didn’t see that one coming."

Maqsedeth chuckled, amused at Samson’s amazement, "I know you didn't, son," he replied, "That's why it's a secret passageway." The wall slid back into place and he opened one of the bottom cabinets to their left, "This one here is a little difficult because you have to duck in order to enter it," he said. Samson crawled through and found a large comfy room with a 32" flat screen HD LCD TV, just like the one in the Entertainment Room, mounted on the wall. There was a seating area in front of the TV and a large dance pad was in the center of the room. To the left of the room there was a chess table. To the right, there was a long table surrounded by chairs and a shelf full of movies and games, and to the far end of the room there was another door. "Wow, Father," he marveled, "I'm at a loss for words. This is incredible! Um, where does that door lead?"

Maqsedeth ducked his head in the crevice and looked to where Samson was pointing, "That door leads to the swimming pool,” he replied. “I believe we're done looking for now," he added when Samson's eyes widened. "There's more from where that came from, but for now, please come back into the kitchen, Samson."

Samson crawled back into the kitchen and helped Maqsedeth with dinner. They were cooking roast chicken, yellow rice, and fresh broccoli. After a while, dinner was ready to be served. Samson set the table as Maqsedeth took the roasted chicken out of the oven and placed it on a hot plate on the table. Samson served the rice and broccoli and Maqsedeth served the chicken. They took their seats at the table and Maqsedeth blessed the food.

"So, Samson, how exactly do you know the Patriarch?” Maqsedeth inquired. “I know you said you are good friends with him, but how is he your friend?"

Samson sighed, "He makes routine visits to the village Fruits and Berries, when he can," he replied, taking a bite out of his chicken, "Right now, he's probably just getting back from an expedition he took this April. I met him last year, and that's how we got associated with each other. He told me that if I ever needed anything that I should give him a call and he'll do what he can for me."

Maqsedeth nodded and narrowed his eyes, "What makes you think he'll help me, too?" he asked, dubiously.

Samson grinned, "That's easy," he stated, positive that Maqsedeth had nothing to worry about, "He always tells me about how he would like to meet you one day, so I thought this would be the best way to do that. He benefits by meeting you and we benefit by him defending our case. Everybody wins."

Maqsedeth considered for a while and his features relaxed, "Well, I guess we can give him a call," he relented. "You do the talking over the phone, tomorrow. When we meet face-to-face, I will speak to him with you."

They finished their dinner and Samson helped Maqsedeth clean up the kitchen. Once they finished, Samson followed Maqsedeth upstairs to the bedrooms. "Father, I have a question," he said.

Maqsedeth glanced at him, "Okay, ask on,” he said.

"If this house has been here ever since a few days after we first moved to this village, how is it that it is already furnished and the refrigerator and the cabinets are already stocked with food and utensils?" Samson asked.

Maqsedeth chuckled under his breath, "That's because before our old residence went up in flames, I moved everything that we had in that house to this house, magically, through my mind," he replied. "Everything from the food and utensils to the furniture and our belongings. And yes, I even moved the birthday gifts you received from me and the other villagers, including Rainbow and her stable. The only thing I couldn't move was the Ancient Power of old. That's because once it was created, the power was so strong that not even I had control over it. But, since it is so powerful, there's the chance that it hasn't been destroyed. We'll go and get it tomorrow after you call your friend, the Patriarch."

Samson nodded, "Okay," he said, "but how did you move our things through your mind?"

“I used Mind Transfer, a magic most Erosians have that allows them to move any number of items to wherever they want them to be,” Maqsedeth replied. “When you get your full powers, I’ll show you how it’s done.”

“Wow! That’ll be awesome!” Samson exclaimed. “Goodnight, Father.”

Maqsedeth smiled, "Goodnight, son," he said.

"Which one's my room?" Samson asked.

"The one right across from mine," Maqsedeth replied as he went to his room.

Samson went into his room and closed the door. It was just like the room he had at their previous house: his bed was to the left of him as he came in, his wardrobe was to the right of him, he had a window to his right, his nightstand and dresser were right next to each other with some space separating them and they were next to his bed, and the door to his closet was at the foot of his bed on the wall to his left. He entered the closet to find that it was a large walk-in closet with a dressing room.

He found all of his gifts in a corner of his closet and checked them out to see if they were still in mint condition. Once he was sure that they were, he brushed his teeth and got dressed for bed. He went outside to see how Rainbow was coping and kept her company for a while. He gave her some water and fed her before returning to his bedroom to go to sleep.

He was so glad to get to sleep in a real bed after the hard cot he laid on in the cell and he was very exhausted from all of the events that took place after his birthday that he fell asleep the moment his head hit the pillow.

The next morning, he awoke to the smell of bacon and eggs, Mmmm, he thought, what is that amazing smell? He sat up and rubbed his eyes. He showered, got dressed, and went into the kitchen to find Maqsedeth cooking grits, eggs, and bacon. When he saw Samson was awake, he smiled and fixed his plate, "Good morning, Samson," he said, "How'd you sleep last night?"

Samson grinned from ear to ear, "I slept great," he replied, heartily, "I was out like a light." He took his plate to the table and sat down. Maqsedeth did the same and Samson blessed the food. "I'll call the Patriarch once I finish breakfast, Father," Samson stated.

Maqsedeth nodded with approval, "Okay, Samson," he said, "Don't forget to do that."

After breakfast, Samson and Maqsedeth cleaned up the kitchen. "Samson, the phone is in the living room," Maqsedeth said.

Samson nodded, "Thanks, Father," he replied. He went upstairs to the living room, dialed the Patriarch's number, and waited for him to pick up, which really didn't take that long, "Hello?" Samson said into the speaker of the phone.

"Hey, Samson," Juan stated, bubbly, "belated Happy Birthday! It's about time you called me! How have you been since our last meeting?"

"Thanks. I've been great," Samson replied, thickly, "Taking it easy over the years."

"You don't sound great, Samson," Juan said, noticing the heaviness in his voice. "If there's something wrong, you can tell me."
Samson sighed, "Alright, Juan, you got me," he conceded, "The truth is it's been really tough for my father and I lately." He explained to Juan what happened to him and his father recently. "…and now we need an attorney," he concluded, "and I was wondering if you can help us."

"Sure, Samson," he replied, elated, "anytime is fine with me. Just tell me the word and I'll be on it."

Samson beamed and his spirits lifted a little, "Great," he responded, relieved, "how about we meet today at noon?"

"Noon sounds great," Juan replied.

Samson grinned, "Okay, I'll see you then," he said.

"Okay," Juan said, "see you then."

Samson hung up the phone and sighed, relieved that the Patriarch agreed to take care of their case. He turned around to find Maqsedeth sitting on the sofa, and nearly jumped out of his skin. "So, we'll meet the Patriarch today at noon?" he asked Samson.

Samson nodded and caught his breath, "Yes, Father," he replied, "I was hoping that wasn't too early for you."

Maqsedeth shook his head, "No, Samson," he responded, "noon's not too early for me."

Samson shrugged, "So, what, now?" he asked Maqsedeth.

Maqsedeth stood, "We go to find the Sword and Pendant that I created, of course," he said. "It should be in the ruins of our old residence, if we're lucky. If not, then it could be at the forest Fine Divine in the Paradise Hills, which is where the Xeroxians kept it when they stole it from us. Let's hope the first location is correct."

Samson sighed, heavily, "Alright," he agreed, "let's go."

They left their mansion and walked a good while before finally making it to the ruins of their old residence. It was once a beautiful yellow house with a gallery front porch, a large backyard and a great view of the Rainbow Falls in the distance. But, looking at it, now after it has been reduced to nothing but rubble, it made them want to cry. The front yard was littered with charred planks of wood and broken glass. The skeleton of their house was still standing, but the roof was missing because it had caved in into the inside of the house. And their walls were missing because they were reduced to squares of plaster on the inside of the house.

Samson and Maqsedeth climbed through the wooden planks on the front yard for a few minutes before finally speaking, "Samson, where did you have the sword and pendant?" Maqsedeth asked.

"It was in my bedroom," Samson replied as he made his way towards the house.

Maqsedeth rushed after him, "Hey, Samson," he called, "wait for me."

When he finally caught up to Samson, he found him kneeling in the middle of the ruins of the house looking at a corpse. Apparently, he dug it up from underneath the ruins of the roof. Samson brushed his hand on the skull and sighed, "It's my grandma," he said.

Maqsedeth knelt and placed his hand on Samson's shoulder and sighed, "Don't worry, son," he said, "You'll see her again. She's Erosian. She can reincarnate on planet Eros in another life. But, she'll no longer be your grandmother, and that's the only sad part. But, ya'll can still be great friends, if ya'll ever see each other again."

Samson managed a smile, "But, she won't remember me?" he asked, mournfully.

Maqsedeth shook his head, "No, she won't," he replied, "but she'll have a case of Déjà vu. You'll look familiar to her, but she won't know why."

Samson took one last look at her before her corpse was reduced to ashes, and then he stood, "If we're lucky, the Sword and Pendant are still in my room," he said as he went down the corridor that used to be their hallway.

They finally made it to a large hole in the only wall standing that they later realized was Samson's old bedroom. Samson got down on his knees and started digging through the debris. He dug for an hour before he finally uncovered the scabbard and the chain to the Sword and Pendant his father created. "Hey, Father," he said, "I think I found it."

Maqsedeth kneeled where Samson was and checked out the scabbard under Samson's hand, "It looks like it," he replied, "But, there's only one way we find out. Pick up the scabbard, Samson."

Samson observed the scabbard and found that there was no sword inside, "Father," he said, his eyes wide with fear, "there's no sword in here! And the chain is empty!"

Maqsedeth sighed, heavily, "That means you'll have to go to the forest Fine Divine in the Paradise Hills to recover them," he stated.

Samson looked at him, curiously, "Me?" he asked, "Why me? You created them."
"Yes, but you used them," Maqsedeth replied, "Only the bearer of the Strongest Power can call it back to its scabbard and chain. You are its master, now. I may have created the sword and pendant, but I never used it, so I'm not its master. I'm just its creator, but you are its master. Before, the sword and its corresponding pendant had no master and for many years, it has been that way, but now because you have used it for the first time in centuries, you are its master. You have to call it back to its scabbard and chain."

Samson stood, slowly, "What have I done?" he asked, appalled at himself. "I have taken the possession of the two strongest items in The Living Circle without your permission."

Maqsedeth sighed, "You have my permission, now," he replied, grinning. "Besides, it's good that you kept it within the family. Now, your children will have an inheritance."

Samson sighed and narrowed his eyes. He wondered if Maqsedeth was joking, "That's if I have children," he remarked as he made it to the hole in the wall that used to be his bedroom door. "We won't have time to go to this forest right now, Father. It'll take entirely too long and we have to get going if we're going to make this meeting with the Patriarch."

Maqsedeth nodded and stood, "We can go after the meeting with the Patriarch," he responded, "We'll need his permission first, anyway."

They left the ruins of their old residence and headed towards the Shakespeare district of the village Fruits and Berries, which is through the cluster of trees right by their new residence.

"Father, where are we going?" Samson asked as they passed by the Sunflower Palace, "The way to the Paradise Hills is that way." He pointed behind them.

Maqsedeth grinned, "We're taking the shortcut," he replied as he led him past the Sunflower Palace security, through the gates of Manorá, and into the Magical Forest.

Samson gasped and gawked at his surroundings, "How did we get here so fast?" he asked as they passed by the Healing Waters, tall Redwood trees, some luscious green bushes that produced the Golden Herb, which is an herb that can cure any illness, but can only be used by Xeroxians and a garden of the Ruetailion Sulfur, and a crevice that leads to the Imaginary Path.

Maqsedeth led him to the left on a path that led through some Redwood trees until they came to an area that shined gold wherever the sun's rays touched. There was an arch in front of them that read, "Welcome to the Golden Plains" and there was a massive black door to their right. "Father, where does that door lead?" Samson asked, glancing apprehensively at the black door. Something about that door didn’t feel right to him and every nerve in him tingled the closer he got to it.

Maqsedeth looked to his right and when he spotted the door that Samson was looking at, he gasped, "You do not want to know, Samson," he replied, pulling Samson away from the door, "Let's press on. We don't want to keep the Patriarch waiting."

They crossed a bridge over-looking a creek and passed through a ton of small towns and cities before reaching a large metropolitan area that was separated into a ton of kingdoms such as the Golden Twinkle Kingdom, the Dazzling Starlight Kingdom, the Supernova Kingdom, the Volcanic Plasma Kingdom, and others. They passed through the City of Aristotle and walked on for hours before finally reaching the top of Warm Welcome where they stood below a large bridge that led up to the Paradise Hills, a large floating island that is located above what is known as the Force. The Force separates Warm Welcome from the rest of Aneidia, which is known as the End of the World.

The gatekeeper at the bottom of the bridge nodded, when they approached, and waved them along, "Go right in. The Patriarch is waiting," he stated. Maqsedeth led Samson up the bridge and through the clouds towards the Paradise Hills and as they climbed the bridge, Samson looked over the edge to find that there was an invisible force-field beneath them, "Father, what's that below this bridge?" he asked.

"That's The Force, son," Maqsedeth replied, glancing uneasily behind him, "Just stay close to me and don't fall over the edge."

"Why? What could happen?" Samson inquired.

"You could become a prisoner to The Force forever," Maqsedeth replied, "The Force was designed to imprison anyone who could be a threat to planet Xerox. Any villains, creatures, and outsiders to this planet will be The Force's prisoners forever if they ever get anywhere near that gap below this bridge. That's why I need you to stay close to me and to not fall over the edge. The Force's waves will draw you in and trap you forever."

They finally made it into the Paradise Hills. The Forest Fine Divine was to their left as they entered. It had a single large apple tree, with a black trunk that rose to the sky and got lost in the clouds, in between tons of normal-size maple trees clustered around it. To their right was the Rainbow Road, a rainbow colored road that leads straight into the End of the World. Also to their right, next to the Rainbow Road, was the living quarters for those pure enough to stay in the Paradise Hills and the living quarters for the Xeroxian gods. In front of them stood two large luscious green hills and between those hills was the city Paradise, but they couldn't see the city because standing at the foot of the green hills was the Patriarch's palace. It was made entirely out of gold with a large dome roof and large pillars.

Maqsedeth led Samson to the door and rang the doorbell. "He probably won't answer because we're late," Maqsedeth sighed, "But we did try to be on time."

To his surprise, the door opened and before them stood Juan. He was a 5'10", athletic teenager who became the Patriarch of planet Xerox at a young age, but he didn't start the job until he was fifteen, which is the age he is now. He had thick dark brown wavy locks, warm brown eyes, and a Korean complexion. He wore a cream colored button down shirt, khakis, and brown loafers. He smiled at them, "Hey, come on in," he said, "We'll talk in my parlor."

He let them in and closed the door behind them. Before them stretched the Foyer and it too was made completely out of gold. Everything except for the paintings on the walls, which were of the landmarks of the Paradise Hills: The forest Fine Divine, the forest with the only large black tree that was once known by the Ancient Xeroxians to house planet Xerox's Fruit of Life, the city Paradise, which is where the dead on planet Xerox spend their afterlife, and the Rainbow Road, which really isn't a landmark, but a road that leads into the rest of the country Aneidia, known as the End of the World; the chandelier, which was made of ivory and diamond; and the windows, which were made of glass. Juan led them upstairs to a room they later realized was the parlor. He opened the door for them, and once they entered he closed the door and offered them seats. Samson and Maqsedeth sat on a white sofa in front of a large ivory-diamond coffee table and Juan sat on a white sofa behind the table.

"I just had enough time to go down to the kingdom Summer Breeze and get the file for your case," Juan said. His brows furrowed as he flipped through the file, "It looks like you guys were charged for theft. You stole the two items known as the Ancient Power of old from the Sunflower Palace's vaults. Do you mind telling me more about that?"

Samson cleared his throat and began telling him what happened earlier that month, while Juan was away on his expedition, and to whom the Ancient Power of old originally belonged to, "…but, the king's loyal servant, Sheldon Hindridge told me that even though those two items of power belonged to us long before the king took them, that we couldn't do anything about it because he's the king," Samson concluded, "We didn't take those items of power from the Sunflower Palace's vaults. Someone else did, but we were framed for the crime because I refused to return them." Total humiliation, Samson thought, mortified. This is exactly what the king wanted. He knew that I would ask the Patriarch for help on my case and that we were very good friends and that he didn't know that side of me. Now he knows what I really am.

Juan studied Samson for a minute. He saw his head was lowered and his shoulders were hunched, and he knew immediately that this was very hard for him. He smiled, "I believe you, Samson," he said, finally. "It makes sense that the king would do such a thing. He's a cruel man and he probably didn't care that the Ancient Power of old was your inheritance.”

He sighed heavily and leaned forward, lacing his fingers together, “You do know that he wasn't supposed to be the kingdom Summer Breeze's next king, right?" he added, his voice deathly serious.

Samson’s and Maqsedeth’s jaws dropped, "How did he become the king, then?" Maqsedeth asked.

Juan’s face darkened as he recalled his father’s death, when he was just a kid. He remembered it like it happened yesterday. It was the day before Coronation Day in the kingdom Summer Breeze, after the ceremonial dinner. Prince Silus and Prince Michael were talking on the balcony while Juan, who was just six years old then, was supposedly sleeping. Juan couldn’t sleep that night and while he was creeping around the palace, he overheard his father and uncle arguing over the kingdom’s choice to Juan’s father, Prince Michael as its next king.

“You know good and well that I’m a better fit for king than you are!” Prince Silus snarled.

“And why do you think so?” Prince Michael calmly demanded.
“I know more about running a kingdom than you do!”

“Oh yeah? Then why don’t you enlighten me? What are the Manorá Enactments? What do you do when there is an invasion? How will you incorporate an appropriate health care law and make the necessary technological advancements to ensure that traditional means for curing diseases and providing surgeries are up to date? How will you make sure all your subjects will have job security? Will you make routine visits to each village to see how you can improve their living situations or will you just ignore them?”

Prince Silus’s nostrils flared as he glared at him, but he did not answer his questions.

“You don’t know do you? How can you be king when you don’t know the law of the land and how to care for its citizens?”

“I’m the eldest! I belong on that throne, not you, Michael!” Prince Silus hissed in disdain. “It isn’t fair!”

“Life isn’t always fair, Silus. If you don’t like it, take that up with the kingdom not with me. Goodnight.”

Prince Michael turned to leave Prince Silus’s presence, when he stopped him and held him in a choke hold. They wrestled for a while before Prince Michael finally got free from Prince Silus’s grasp. Prince Silus pushed Prince Michael, causing him to fall onto the marble balcony floor and slide towards the edge. He quickly grabbed hold of the balcony’s railing and held on tightly, trying to pull himself back up. He struggled for a while as Prince Silus approached the railing.

“Silus, please,” Prince Michael pleaded, “don’t do this. My children need me.”

Prince Silus lowered himself until he was eyelevel with Prince Michael and sneered, You should’ve thought about that before you insulted me, he thought. He grabbed his wrists, acting like he was going to help him up and then when Prince Michael had let his guard down, he released his hold on him.

“Long live the king,” Prince Silus said as Prince Michael fell.

The next morning, Prince Michael was discovered and pronounced dead, and the Coronation became a funeral but no one knew how he had died. The following morning Prince Silus was crowned the king of Summer Breeze and he put Juan and his brother away so that they wouldn’t expose his secret to the kingdom. He didn’t want to lose his crown.

He sighed, exasperated at how easily King Silus got away with murder. "He stole the throne from my father by killing him out of jealousy just before he was crowned king," Juan replied, "And because he was my father's brother, he was automatically moved into office as his successor."

Samson gasped, "The king is your uncle?" he asked.

Juan nodded, somberly, "Yeah," he sighed, "he's my uncle.” He silently counted to ten to calm his nerves. Once he was centered, he returned his attention back to Samson and Maqsedeth.

“Anyway, back to the case,” he added with a smile, “I could help you guys fight for the ownership of the Ancient Power of old, okay? It will take a lot of work, but it's worth it. The king is very tough because he's a brat. He believes that everything he says goes. Now, your trial date is next Tuesday. That's five days from now, if you don't count today and the day of the trial. I will see what I can do for you guys, okay? I'll see you guys next Tuesday."

They stood and Juan led them to the front door where they shook hands and departed. "Good day to you both," Juan said, "And Mr. Maqsedeth, it was a pleasure meeting you."

Maqsedeth smiled, "It was a pleasure meeting you, too, Mr. Patriarch," he said.

"Please, call me 'Juan'," Juan said, "See you guys later."

"Wait, Juan," Samson called, "Before we go, we would like your permission to go into the forest Fine Divine to recollect the Ancient Power of old, if you don't mind."

Juan smiled, "Samson it's okay," he replied, "Permission granted. Hurry, before sunset, though. The forest makes it hard for you to find the Ancient Power of old after dark. Good luck."

Samson and Maqsedeth departed from the Patriarch's palace and made their way towards the forest Fine Divine. Samson gasped and Maqsedeth looked back at him, "Samson what's wrong?" he asked.

"I just realized that Juan and Queen Martha are probably kin to each other," Samson speculated, "Since the king is already Queen Martha's uncle and I've just found out that he is also Juan's uncle, then he and Queen Martha must be kin to each other somewhere down the line."

Maqsedeth smiled, "Not somewhere down the line, Samson," he corrected, "They're more like immediate family."

"What do you mean?" Samson asked.

"He and Martha are brother and sister," Maqsedeth replied, "He's Martha's elder brother."

Samson gasped, "That close of kin?" he asked in bewilderment, "Wow! I had no idea! I never would've guessed that. It's probably because they don't look alike."

"It's sort of like you and me," Maqsedeth added, "At first glance, no one would've guess that you're my son, but if they knew your mother, that would've come easily. No one knows how they’re related, but it could be because their mother was an Erosian. They probably had different fathers but no one knows. The king of Summer Breeze is not from The Living Circle, and if he's the Patriarch's father's brother, then that explains why he and Martha look nothing alike."

Samson sighed, "And that also explains why Queen Martha and the king look nothing alike," he said as they crossed into the forest Fine Divine.

The forest loomed over them sinisterly as the sun began to set, causing the shadows to grow longer. "We must hurry," Maqsedeth said as he rushed forward and Samson ran to keep up with him. The air grew stuffier the further they ran into the forest and the trees began to change positions the closer they came to the Grand Raven.

 The Grand Raven towered over them just as the last bit of sunlight disappeared into the distance. Its bark was twisted into a doorway from whence shone a suspicious lime-green light.

Maqsedeth stopped short of the bark, "Samson did you bring the scabbard and chain?" he asked.

Samson nodded as he took the chain from his pocket and the scabbard from his hip, "Yes, Father," he said, "they're right here."

"You must enter the lime light with the scabbard and chain and search for the Ancient Power of old," Maqsedeth said, "But, hurry because once the sun sets, it won't be that easy." Samson ran towards the large black tree and entered the lime light of the tree.

The world inside the Grand Raven was a large labyrinth with passageways that led into nowhere and tunnels that brought the visitor back into the forest Fine Divine. Ancient Power of old, Samson thought, where are you? Show me to you. No response.

Samson marveled at the silence of the Sword and Pendant as he started forward. Before him loomed two dark corridors, one led into the center of the maze but the other led back into the forest Fine Divine. They were both identical but one of them exuded a powerful aura while the other one didn’t.

The aura captured his interest and lured him in its direction. He followed the aura until he made it to the center of the maze, where he discovered Devious the Deceitful Dragon slumbering with the Sword under his claw and the Pendant around his neck. It was too late: it was already nighttime.

It’s not real, Samson, he thought, trying to calm his nerves, it’s just a hallucination. He crept as quietly as he could, trying his best to get to the Sword under the dragon’s claw, without waking him. When he was within arm’s reach of the Sword, his feet snapped a twig, waking the dragon from its slumber.

Samson silently cursed as the dragon began to stir. He yawned and peered into Samson’s face. He made a weird crackling noise that Samson later realized was a laugh, “My have you grown,” he bellowed, “Samson Cleopatra.” He slithered his tongue in Samson’s face and Samson worked to steel his nerves.

“I sent you into an inescapable prison,” he called to him, “How did you escape?”

Devious’ laugh boomed like an explosion, “How did I escape?” he mused. “How do you think I escaped?” He closed in on him and hissed, making the Pendant dance in the light like a star.

Samson still didn’t understand how he escaped, “But, that’s insane,” he said. “Inescapable means not escapable. How did you�"How did you escape? You shouldn’t have been able to escape! You should still be in prison.”

“And yet, here I am,” Devious snarled, “Beyond the boundaries of your reasoning. Give up now and I might spare you.” He cackled, his laugh sounding like sandpaper.

Samson picked up the Sword, “Not a chance,” he said as he sliced off Devious’ tongue.

Devious roared in aguish and stumbled backwards clawing at his bleeding mouth. He groaned and blew fire at Samson as he ran pass. The flames barely touched him as he ducked between Devious’ legs. Devious grabbed at Samson as he climbed his tail and made his way towards his back. He swung his tail, knocking Samson into the ceiling, but he did a backflip and landed on Devious’ back anyway. Devious turned his head 360° and blew fire at Samson. Samson jumped, dodging the flames, and brought the Sword down on Devious’ neck, severing his head from his body.

Devious disintegrated into ashes right before Samson’s eyes, burying the Pendant he wore completely. Samson fished it out and the chain it was on crumbled in his hands, leaving him with just the Jewel and the Sword. Samson placed the Jewel back on the chain, sheathed the Sword back in its scabbard, and departed the Grand Raven with the Ancient Power of old.

He still didn’t understand how Devious the Deceitful Dragon had escaped from his prison. But if he got out, why didn’t he attack The City of Aristotle already? Samson thought, puzzled.

When Maqsedeth saw him, he turned to leave, "Let's go," he said.

“Father, hang on,” Samson said, “Is The City of Aristotle still standing?”

Maqsedeth nodded, “Yeah, why?” he asked, puzzled at Samson’s sudden interest in The City of Aristotle.

“Well, I just saw Devious the Deceitful Dragon in the center of the maze inside the tree,” Samson replied. “That’s why.”

“Don’t worry about it, son,” Maqsedeth said, “that’s the forest Fine Divine messing with your mind. It’s using past memories against us and toying with reality. That’s why we shouldn’t be here after dark.”

They heard what sounded like wolf howls in the distance and they turned to rush out of the forest, but because the trees had changed positions, they forgot which way they had gotten in.

“Maqsedeth, Samson,” a voice said. “Come to me, my darlings.”

“MaryAnn?” Maqsedeth asked, apprehensively. “Is that you?”

They turned around and they were faced with three very mean and hungry wolves. They had glowing red pupil-less eyes, sharp teeth, and their mouths were dripping green saliva.

"Uh, Father, which way is the exit?" Samson asked, backing up slowly.

Maqsedeth shrugged, "The forest must have covered it up with its thickets," he said, trying to disguise his shaking voice, "I suggest we try to make a run for it."

They turned and ran with the wolves on their tail, barking and growling. The trees began to twist and stretch as they ran, some even moved to throw them off course. Creatures such as owls, vultures, ravens, and raccoons came out of their hiding places to observe them as they ran away from the wolves.

They heard cries from the forest as they continued clawing their way through the thickets and trees, trying to escape from the wolves. They ran until they saw a bright light ahead and they stumbled through to find themselves back in the Paradise Hills. The wolves didn't follow them out the forest because the light of the Paradise Hills startled them. They went back into the forest and forfeited pursuing them. Samson and Maqsedeth caught their breath.

Samson sighed, relieved, "I have never been any more scared in my entire life," he gasped, collapsing on the ground.

Maqsedeth gasped, "Me neither," he squeaked, "I almost thought we were goners. I haven’t ran that fast in years!"

Samson glanced at Maqsedeth, "Father, I don’t want to go back into that forest ever again," he said, clinging to the Strongest Sword and Pendant.

Maqsedeth sighed, "Come on, Samson," he said, as he helped him up, "let's go home and get some rest. And don’t breathe a word of this to anyone."

Pretty soon, like the blink of an eye, the day of their trial came and they had to go see the judge for their trial. Samson wore a peach-colored button down shirt with a black bowtie, black slacks, and shiny black dress shoes. His messy, curly blonde hair was combed and slicked back into a ponytail. Maqsedeth wanted to be casual, but he finally decided to be snappy casual with the urging of Samson. He wore a pale blue button down shirt, khakis, and brown loafers.

Lord Harold Thornsickle directed them to a table they had specified for the defendants. Juan came in and sat at the end of the table. He wore a black tux, this time and he had with him the file for their case. "I really hope you know what you're doing," Samson whispered to him.

Juan winked at him, "Just trust me," he whispered, "Everything's going to work out just fine." I hope, he thought.

"All arise," the bailiff called, "The honorable Judge Exaephor Smith presiding." The king of the Golden Twinkle Kingdom stepped behind the podium and took his seat. “You may be seated,” the bailiff said to the spectators.

Maqsedeth gasped, "Oh no!" he whispered, "It's the king of the Golden Twinkle Kingdom! He's gonna kill me!"

Samson grimaced, "If he's the judge then where is the king?" he asked.

"Case number 225897: the people verses Maqsedeth and Samson Cleopatra," the bailiff said. "Charges include theft, treason, assault with a deadly weapon, criminal possession of a sword, and impertinency towards the king of Summer Breeze."

Exaephor looked at the bailiff and sighed exasperated, "I know you didn't just say Maqsedeth Cleopatra," he said, "The Architect? He knows better than this!" Maqsedeth just sighed and lowered his head in embarrassment.

"Who is here for the defendant?" Judge Exaephor Smith added.

Juan stood and stepped forward, "Juan here on behalf of Mr. Maqsedeth Cleopatra and Mr. Samson Cleopatra, your honor," he said.

"Hello, Mr. Patriarch," Judge Exaephor Smith said.

“How’re you doing, Judge Smith?” Juan asked.

"I sure hope you know what you're doing and that you’re not wasting my time," Judge Exaephor Smith sighed.

“Trust me Judge Smith, I know what I’m doing,” Juan said.

Judge Exaephor Smith just sighed, "Mr. Hindridge," he said, "who do you call for your first witness?"

Sheldon cleared his throat and looked in Samson’s direction, "Your honor, I call Lord Thornsickle," he said.

Samson sighed, Great, he thought, Just my luck.

Lord Harold Thornsickle made his way towards the witness stand and one of the bailiffs approached the stand and made him put his left hand on a Bible and raise his right hand, "Do you promise to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help you God?" he asked.

Lord Thornsickle nodded, "Yes, sir," he said and he took his seat.

Sheldon Hindridge approached the stand, "Lord Thornsickle," he said, "You escorted the defendant to the king's sitting room, is that correct?"

Lord Thornsickle nodded, "Yes, I did," he said.

"Do you recall hearing anything after you left the defendant alone in the room with the king?" Sheldon asked him.

Lord Thornsickle nodded, "Yes, I do," he said, "I heard the king cry out in pain and the door slam shut."

“So you confirm that the defendant physically abused the king while the king was defenseless?” Sheldon asked.

Lord Thornsickle nodded, “Affirmative,” he replied.

Sheldon nodded and cleared his throat, "I see," he said, "no further questions."

Lord Thornsickle went to step down from the witness stand and Juan stood, "Your honor, I would like permission to question this witness further," he said.

Judge Exaephor Smith nodded and looked at Sheldon inquisitively.

Sheldon nodded, "No objection, your honor," he said and he crossed his arms over his chest as he took his seat, I've got to see this, he thought, amused. A doctor posing as a lawyer. This is gonna be rich.

Juan approached the witness stand, "Lord Thornsickle, do you know of the quest the defendant took before he returned to the king?" he asked.

Lord Thornsickle nodded, "Of course," he replied, "we all knew. He told us after the queen showed him to the secret path to his destination."

"Do you know of the device he allowed the defendant to use?” Juan asked. “Do you know of The Ghost Incinerator Deluxe?”

Lord Thornsickle nodded, "Of course," he said, "anybody from the kingdom Summer Breeze would have known about that device."

"Do you also know that the quest the king had the defendant to embark on was a scheme the king used to harm the defendant?” Juan asked, firmly. “Do you know that he didn't expect him to return from the quest alive and that the king said so himself?"

Sheldon jumped up from his seat, "Objection, your honor!" he shouted, outraged.

Judge Exaephor Smith banged his gavel, "Mr. Hindridge, please take your seat and let Mr. Patriarch continue," he said, firmly.

Lord Thornsickle was silent for a while, He usually tells us everything, but he didn’t tell us that he attempted to kill Samson, he thought, baffled at how secretive the king had been. Juan looked intently at Lord Thornsickle waiting for him to answer his question.

Lord Thornsickle shook his head, "No sir, I did not," he said.

Juan cleared his throat, "No further questions," he said as he took his seat.

Sheldon looked back at the king, who was seated in the seat behind him, and raised his hands in question. The king sighed and nodded. Sheldon sighed and mouthed, Why?

The king sighed, “I'll tell you later,” he whispered. During their silent conversation, Judge Exaephor Smith called, "Court will reconvene after a brief recess. Court is adjourned.”

Sheldon cleared his throat, "Very shocking," he said as he sat forward.

After the recess, and once everyone had returned to their seats, Judge Exaephor Smith banged his gavel to silence the courtroom, “Mr. Hindridge, who do you call for your next witness?” he asked.

"Your honor, I call Lord Gregory Jasperson," Sheldon said as he looked at Samson and Maqsedeth with a sly smile.

Lord Jasperson made his way towards the witness stand and one of the bailiffs approached the stand and made him take the same oath Lord Thornsickle took. He took his seat and Sheldon Hindridge approached the witness stand, "Lord Jasperson, you're usually the one who guards the vaults of the Sunflower Palace, am I correct?" he asked.

Lord Jasperson nodded, "Yes," he said.

"Do you recall the laws upon which the kingdom of Summer Breeze was built?" Sheldon asked him.

Lord Jasperson nodded, "Yes, I do," he said.

"So you know very well that, to quote Article I, Section 2b of the Enactments of Manorá, 'if an item currently possessed by the king of Summer Breeze is stolen from the palace's vaults and someone is called to fetch them for him, but refuses to return them, that individual must take the full blame for the action’, right?" Sheldon asked.

“Yes, I do,” Lord Jasperson replied.

You mean the laws you were built on, Juan thought with distaste. The original Enactments of Manorá didn’t sound anything like that.

Sheldon cleared his throat, "No further questions," he said as he took his seat.

"Mr. Patriarch, do you have any more questions for Lord Jasperson?" Judge Exaephor Smith asked Juan.

Juan nodded and stood, "Yes, your honor," he said, "As a matter of fact, I do." He approached the witness stand, "Lord Jasperson," he said, "I know you know your law because you’ve obviously studied it, but do you also know that for the defendant to be charged on this offense, the items have to be first owned by the king of Summer Breeze?"

Lord Jasperson nodded, "Yes, I do," he said.

"Do you also know that before those two items known as the Ancient Power of old were ever stolen from the palace's vaults, they were first stolen from the defendant years ago by the king himself?" Juan asked him. “And that because of this action taken by the king, the action taken by the defendant can be deemed justice?"

Lord Jasperson cleared his throat, "Um, yes sir,” he said. “There can be no charge if the items were possessed by force or illegal means.”

Juan cleared his throat, "No further questions," he said as he took his seat.

Sheldon Hindridge gritted his teeth, He's chewing up my witnesses, he thought, frustrated. I must throw in the big gun. "Your honor, I call Lord David Maltrodextrin as my next witness," he said, anticipating a turnaround for him and the king.

Lord Maltrodextrin sauntered towards the witness stand and Juan stood, "Objection, your honor," he said, "This witness isn't even on the list of witnesses. Each of us is supposed to get a list of all the witnesses on a case. If a witness isn't listed, then we are as an impasse because of the surprise witness."

Judge Exaephor Smith chuckled and shook his head, "Overruled," he said.

Juan sighed and sat back down as Lord Maltrodextrin stepped behind the witness stand, took the same oath the other two witnesses took, and sat down. Sheldon approached the witness stand, "Lord Maltrodextrin, you are the king's Chief of Security and right-hand man, right?" he asked. “The king confides in you.”

Lord Maltrodextrin nodded, "Yes, that is correct," he said.

"Do you recall the king telling you anything about the things the defendant said to him at his meeting with the king after Lord Thornsickle left them alone?" Sheldon asked him.

Lord Maltrodextrin nodded, "Yes, I do," he said, "He told me the defendant told him that he didn't care that he was the king and then when the king got near him, he threatened to kill him."

Sheldon nodded, "What were the defendant's exact words, Lord Maltrodextrin?" he asked.

Lord Maltrodextrin cleared his throat, "The defendant's exact words were, 'If you take one more step towards me, I can end your term just as easily as it started'," he said.

Sheldon nodded, "I rest my case," he said as he took his seat.

Judge Exaephor Smith cleared his throat, "Mr. Patriarch," he called, "would you like to question this witness further?"

Juan nodded, "Yes, your honor," he said as he stood. Oh boy, he thought, here goes nothing. He approached the witness stand, "Lord Maltrodextrin," he said, "are you familiar with Article II, which lists all the rights each of the citizens of the kingdom Summer Breeze are accustomed to?"

To his surprise, Lord Maltrodextrin shook his head, "No, sorry," he said.

Juan cleared his throat, "Well, let me enlighten you that there is a statement in the Article that states, 'In the event that their security and right to peace, liberty, and a sound mind is infringed upon by anyone, even those in a seat of power, the offenses that follow are dismissed as being self-defense'," he said.

"I didn't know that," Lord Maltrodextrin said, mesmerized.

The king jumped up from his seat, "Objection, your honor!" he shouted, "The offense was treason! There's no way around treason!"

Judge Exaephor Smith banged his gavel, "King Silus, please take your seat," he said. King Silus sat down and glared at Juan.

"Mr. Patriarch, you may continue," the judge said.

Juan cleared his throat and crossed his arms, "So, since the king had used the quest the defendant embarked on as an attempt to dispose of him, whatever action the defendant took afterwards, according to this statement, is deemed an act of self-defense. Did you know that?"

Lord Maltrodextrin was shocked into silence, but he shook his head.

Juan nodded, "The defense rests," he said as he took his seat.

Judge Exaephor Smith looked at Sheldon, who was in the process of checking the laws and discussing with the king, "Mr. Hindridge, has the jury reached a decision?" he asked.

Sheldon and the king were still discussing and the judge banged his gavel, "Mr. Hindridge," he called. When Sheldon didn't answer then, he banged the gavel again, "Mr. Hindridge," he called again.

Sheldon turned around, "Yes, your honor, we have," he said as he stood.

"What say, you?" Judge Exaephor Smith asked.

"In the case of the people versus Maqsedeth Cleopatra and Samson Cleopatra, we would like to drop all charges," he said.

Everyone cheered and the judge banged his gavel, "Order in the court," he called until everyone was silenced.

Samson and Maqsedeth were leaving the courtroom with Juan, when the king approached them, "Well, well, well," he said, "When things go wrong, call on the Patriarch. Not too, shabby, Samson. I underestimated you. I would like to see you and your father in my Sitting Room to discuss an important issue that has arisen. Meet me at the bottom of the stairs."

When he departed, Sheldon approached them, "Nice work, Mr. Patriarch," he said as they shook hands, "You made a pretty tough competitor. I have to admit, I underestimated you. I would like to know how you did it."

Juan chuckled, "Well, a good lawyer never reveals his secrets," he said with a wink.

Sheldon chuckled, "I look forward to competing against you, again," he said.

"Aw, thanks," Juan said, "but there won't be a need."

Sheldon cleared his throat, "Okay, fair enough," he said. "Good day to you."

Juan, Samson, and Maqsedeth were making their way towards the staircase when Judge Exaephor Smith approached Juan, "Nice work, Mr. Patriarch," he said as they shook hands. "Not bad for your first time. You got it done in no time flat. No fooling around, and no gimmicks. You studied your law and you got up there and shredded that case. I like that. You're one hell of a lawyer."

Juan chuckled, "Thanks, and you're one hell of a judge," he said. "I'm really sorry, I have to leave because I feel like if I don't get out of here right now, I might never get to leave."

Judge Exaephor Smith chuckled, "Patriarchal work never sleeps, huh?" he asked.

Juan sighed, "Not until about 6 am," he said. "I have to go. Samson and Mr. Maqsedeth, I'll see you guys later, okay? Remember to keep in touch. You can call me at any time. I'll try to pick up. If I don't, just leave me a message and I'll try to get back with you." Samson and Maqsedeth both shook his hand and descended the stairs to find the king, who escorted them to his Sitting Room.

Once they were all seated, the king sat forward and cleared his throat, "Well, that was a very short case," he said. "The reason I called you guys in here was there is a problem around the Treacherous Mountain. I'm pretty sure you guys have noticed it when you went to the Patriarch's palace, right?"

Samson thought back to when they went to visit the Patriarch and he remembered, when he and Maqsedeth approached the vicinity of the Treacherous Mountain, he saw a weird darkness surrounding the Mountain. "Yes, I remember," he said, "I didn't say anything about it, but I do remember seeing a peculiar darkness over there. Why is that?"

The king smiled, "That's what you're going to find out," he said, slyly. "You and your father are going to take a trip up there to investigate this problem."

Samson's jaw clenched and he glared at him, "Another quest?" he growled.

Maqsedeth placed his hand on Samson's shoulder, trying to calm him.

The king nodded, "Yes, another quest," he replied, coldly, "Let’s see if you know a thing or two about loyalty, eh?"

"I see nothing has changed with you," Samson said, firmly. "You're still the same bully manipulator you always were."

The king cleared his throat, "What will be your answer?" he asked, unfazed by Samson’s remarks.

Maqsedeth shrugged, "We'll do it," he said.

Samson's jaw dropped and he stared at Maqsedeth like he had two heads.

"Samson, what about you?" King Silus demanded, "What will you do?"

Maqsedeth looked at Samson, expectantly and Samson sighed, "Aw, damn it, peer pressure," he said, hiding his face in his hands. "Fine, I'll do it. But, don't you forget what I told you last time."

The king chuckled, "Oh, shut up, Samson," he said, "You survived the Ghost Town. Investigate the problem and return to me with an answer in two days."


© 2017 Desirée Tolliver


Author's Note

Desirée Tolliver
The Treacherous Mountain is also available on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and Lulu.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on December 1, 2017
Last Updated on December 1, 2017


Author

Desirée Tolliver
Desirée Tolliver

Port Gibson, MS



About
I'm just an aspiring writer looking to meet other aspiring writers. Writing is what I do. I live, love, and breathe writing. I live off this quote by Rainer Maria Rilke: "If, when you wake up in the m.. more..

Writing