Chapter One: Demise's Return

Chapter One: Demise's Return

A Chapter by Desirée Tolliver

In the village Fruits and Berries, Samson helped organize a birthday reception at Trenton's house for Maqsedeth while he was at their home sleeping. Samson really wanted to throw Maqsedeth a birthday party, but he remembered Maqsedeth told him, after his birthday party, that he was done with partying, so he decided to plan a reception instead. He made sure not to let Maqsedeth know about it so that it would stay a secret. He invited all of the villagers in the Chopin district of the village Fruits and Berries to the reception. They weren't obligated to bring a present for Maqsedeth, but Samson, the Parishes, and Trenton really wanted to make the event very special for him.

It wasn't long before Maqsedeth woke up. Samson waited until he was in the shower to return to Trenton's house and tell everyone that they had to hurry up with the reception and decorations. Maqsedeth was going to try to visit with Trenton this day because they haven’t been able to hang out for a while since things finally settled down. He left his home to go see Trenton for a leisurely conversation, unaware that what he was walking into was a reception.

Once he made it inside, he was met by a large group of his neighbors and friends who all gave him a hearty shout: "SURPRISE!"

He smiled, “What’s going on here?” he asked.
Trenton came forward smiling, and put his hand on his back, "Happy Birthday, Maqsedeth," he said. "Now, I know you said that you were done with partying, so we decided that we wouldn't give you a party, per se, but we didn't want to leave you hanging. So, instead of a party, we put together this beautiful reception."
Maqsedeth raised an eyebrow, "Who's 'we'?" he asked.
Trenton winked, "Me and Samson," he said.
Maqsedeth looked around and Samson emerged from the crowd, "Happy Birthday, Father!" he said. "We're sorry to bombard you this way, but today is your special day and we wanted you to be able to enjoy it."
Maqsedeth smiled, "Thanks, Samson," he said as he patted him on his back.
Samson smiled, "I just thought you might could use them for something, ya know,” he replied. “I mean, if you want them because you don't really have to."
Maqsedeth smiled, "Samson," he said, "It's alright. I really appreciate it."
Rob approached Maqsedeth slowly, "I have a gift for you, too," he said. "Come with me, please."
He led Maqsedeth outside and back to his own backyard, covering Maqsedeth’s eyes with his hands. Once there, he removed his hands from Maqsedeth's eyes. Before him was parked a dark gray sports car with a big red bow on it.
Maqsedeth gasped, "Rob," he said, "you didn't have to. We have a winged unicorn to travel on."
Rob shrugged, "Well, I just thought that maybe one day, if you decide to, of course, you could take it for a spin," he said. "And, this was also an apology for my behavior on the last time we met. You know, the time when you told me something important to you and I didn't believe you, which is crazy because I always believe you. But, that one time, I didn’t and I knew you were upset because you didn't say much of anything to me after that."
Maqsedeth smiled, "Aw, Rob," he said, "It's okay, I forgive you."
Rob smiled and Trenton met them there to show Maqsedeth to his gift. He showed him to where a newly built greenhouse and a tool shed, which housed a bright red driving lawn mower, a rake, a bag of garden soil, a jug of weed killer, a hose, and a hoe were on the far end of his backyard. Trenton built them there so that they wouldn’t interfere with Rainbow’s exercise space.
Maqsedeth gasped and smiled, "Trent, what's all of this?" he asked.
Trenton smiled, "Well, I remembered how much you said you loved landscaping before you got too busy," he said, "So, I decided, I’d get you some things to help you out. If you want them. No obligations."
Maqsedeth smiled, "Thanks, Trent," he said, "That was very thoughtful of you. I would definitely be using these."
Maqsedeth, Trenton, Samson, the Parishes, and the rest of the villagers turned to go back to Trenton's house, when the sky got dark and the wind picked up speed. Branches broke off the surrounding trees and slammed into the sides of Maqsedeth's and Samson's house, falling onto the surrounding houses as well. Maqsedeth used his Mind Transfer power to move his sports car into his garage then he and Samson went to go follow Trenton when things got out of control.
The wind was the least of their problems when the ground began to quake vigorously and split apart as meteors crashed onto the village's surface. Many of the villagers' homes were completely destroyed and the meteors didn't just crash onto the Chopin district but all over the village Fruits and Berries. Not long after, there was a huge thunderstorm that was so heavy that it caused the Rainbow Falls to rise to an unsafe level and flood the entire village. Many of the villagers got swept away with the current and some nearly drowned.
Maqsedeth swam to the surface of the rising waters and searched frantically for Samson. His search continued for what seemed like hours before he finally caught a glimpse of the dark blue shirt his grandmother Becky knitted for him for his birthday. He pulled him from the water and swam him to a log floating nearby.
He pressed on his chest until Samson awoke and coughed up the water from his lungs. Once he recovered, he and Maqsedeth went to find the others, but to no avail. While they were searching for dry land, lightning flashed across the sky and struck a nearby tree. The tree cracked and crashed into the water where Samson and Maqsedeth were and hit Maqsedeth on the side of his head. He sunk under the water just as something flew into the village.
Samson swam into the water and brought Maqsedeth back to the surface. He coughed and sputtered and climbed the tree that had fallen into the water and he and Samson sat there until they washed up in Monteverdi on a roof of an old steeple. The steeple had a flat roof with a bell tower in the middle. It was the only elevated ground.
A strange man approached Samson and Maqsedeth while they were catching their breath. He had short cropped jet black hair, tan skin, and he wore a black long-sleeved tunic with a gray belt strapped around his waist and gray gloves on his hands, he wore red trousers tucked into tall black boots, and a royal blue cape. He had a sword strapped at his left hip, the Termination Sword, which has the ability to sever the victim's essence from their body with just one touch of the blade, and a purple scepter also at his left hip.
When Maqsedeth spotted him, he stood, "Samson, let’s back to Chopin right now," he said.
Samson nodded, "Okay, Father," he said as he stood.
But, before Maqsedeth and Samson could leave, the man had blocked their way, "Hello, Maqsedeth," he said with a cold smile, "Leaving so soon?"
Samson narrowed his eyes, "And who are you?" he asked. "Father, you know this clown?"
Maqsedeth glared at the man that stood before them, but he said nothing.
Demise smiled, "Go ahead, Maqsedeth," he said. "It’s about time you told him who I am. Don't be shy. Introduce him to your frère. I think he can handle it."
Samson gasped and from his knowledge of the Northern Xeroxian language, which is a combination of French and Italian, he was able to decipher what he was saying, "Frère?" he asked. "Your 'brother'?"
The man smiled, "He doesn't talk about me much," he said. "In fact he spent his whole life trying to forget me even though we’ve encountered each other four times since planet Eros became the Forbidden Planet. How would it look if The Living Circle’s great mage, Maqsedeth had a brother on the dark side?"
"You're not my brother anymore," Maqsedeth said, gritting his teeth.
Demise smiled, "Are you forgetting about Charmander and the vow that we made?" he asked Maqsedeth in French.
"Yes, I forgot," Maqsedeth replied in French.
Demise smiled, "You spare my life every time I destroy this place," he said in French. "You could've rid this planet of a great liability and played the hero but you couldn't force yourself to destroy me because you cannot escape your past."
Maqsedeth growled, "I didn't destroy you because I'm not a murderer," he replied in French.
Demise smiled, "Let me repay the favor, Maqsedeth," he said in English. "I'll spare you and your family's life if you promise to leave Manorá tonight, for good."
Samson smiled, "You got a deal. It was really nice meeting you," he said. "Listen, that's a terrible costume. Let's get the hell out of here, Father."
Maqsedeth looked Demise deep into his eyes, "What about the rest of the villagers?" he asked.
Demise chuckled, "Let's just think of it this way: one of them has to know the way to the treasure,” he said. “I have no choice."
Maqsedeth gritted his teeth, "Then I have no choice," he growled.
"Wait a minute,” Samson said, cross, "what treasure are you talking about? And what do you mean you have no choice?"
Demise chuckled, "Some secrets are worth dying for," he said.
In the blink of an eye, he had knocked Samson into the side of the bell tower, dazing him, and he had grabbed Maqsedeth by his collar. Maqsedeth struggled to get out of Demise's hold but failed because Demise had tightened his grip, "No one else in this village knows where the treasure is, except me,” he said, hardening his gaze. “So, why don’t you give up the search now, Hector?”
Demise frowned at his words, "Not a chance,” he said as he tossed Maqsedeth into the side of the bell tower, hoping to daze him. But just before hitting the bell tower, Maqsedeth teleported behind Demise, and almost caught him off guard. Before Maqsedeth could attack, Demise pushed him into the water surrounding the steeple.
Samson recovered from the blow Demise dealt him earlier and when he saw Demise push his father into the water, it angered him. He stood and unsheathed his sword, "Hey, what do you think you're doing pushing my father into the water like that?" he asked.
Demise chuckled, "My Samson, you’ve grown,” he said. “I remember when you used to scream like a little girl. Now, look at you. You’re a spirit of vengeance.”
Maqsedeth climbed out of the water and back onto the top of the steeple. “Demise, leave him alone,” he said. “If the beef’s with me, leave him out of this.”
“Oh, but he’s already been a part of this,” Demise replied, unsheathing his sword. “He’s been part of this whole thing since the day he helped you hide that pendant. Now tell me, where is it?” He pointed the sword at Samson’s chest.
“Eat me,” Samson growled.
“I have tried to be patient with you and your father, but now my patience has reached its end,” Demise growled as he raised his sword to attack. “Tell me or I’ll use this.”
Samson glared at him as Maqsedeth shot red hot flames at his back. Demise howled in pain and dropped his sword. Maqsedeth grabbed it as Demise reached for his scepter. He used it to shoot a beam of electricity at Maqsedeth, which Maqsedeth deflected with the sword but the impact from the strike pushed him over the edge into the water.
“FATHER NO!” Samson cried. He growled at Demise, “You’re gonna pay for that!”
He raised his sword to attack, and Demise retrieved his weapon from the water, the Termination Sword, which is a six-foot double-edged sword of wickedly sharp black and red metals: black on one side and red on the other, the two metals glistening wickedly in the light of the setting sun. Samson rushed in to attack and their weapons collided. They fenced with each other for a while, in a battle that lasted well into the night.
For a while, it seemed as though Demise had the upper hand, until Samson's right hand began to glow. His senses sharpened up and he had better focus. Samson was able to see Demise's attacks before he performed them, which allowed Samson to parry them with ease. He toyed with Demise for a while before blocking Demise's attack with a counterattack. He spun around and kicked Demise, knocking him into the side of the bell tower. He dashed towards him and flipped forwards, bringing his sword down onto Demise's chest. Maqsedeth climbed out of the water and lied down on the roof of the steeple to catch his breath.
Demise grunted in pain and clutched his chest, and then he laughed, "You cannot defeat me," he said. "I will be back!" He lied down on his back and slowly disappeared.
After Demise was gone, Samson looked around for Maqsedeth before finding him passed out on the roof of the steeple. He gathered him in his arms and swam him towards where he remembered the Chopin district was, but he couldn't recognize it since it was still under water. He laid him on the roof of their house and shook Maqsedeth until he finally stirred. He smiled, happy to know that he was still alive. Maqsedeth sat up, startled and turned to Samson, “Samson, where are we?” he asked.
“We’re in Chopin, on our house,” Samson replied.
Maqsedeth breathed a sigh of relief, “Did you check for survivors?” he asked.
“No, Father, I haven’t,” Samson sighed. “I was worried about you.”
Maqsedeth sighed, “Don’t worry about me,” he said.
Samson brought out the lamp Queen Martha had given him and turned it on. He shined the light around them to see if there were any survivors, but he didn’t see any. “There are no survivors as far as I could see,” Samson sighed.
“All of those people,” Maqsedeth said, “why’d they have to suffer because of something I made?”
Samson turned off his lamp and they spent the night on the roof of their house until the water subsided. He and Samson climbed back inside through their balcony and Maqsedeth set to work repairing their house from its flood damage.
Samson made breakfast while they rested from a long morning’s work. As his father Maqsedeth finished eating, Samson went out to the backyard to check on Rainbow. He groomed her, fed her, changed her horse shoes, and rode her around the village, looking for survivors. He discovered Trenton and Ebonie near the Rainbow Falls and breathed a sigh of relief.
He dismounted Rainbow and approached them, “Hey, you guys,” he called. “What happened to you?”
Trenton looked up at Samson and smiled, “We got swept away but it’s no biggie,” he replied. “We’re back now.”
“Have you seen Jason, Ken, Dan, Rob, Molly, Butch, and the others?” Samson asked him.
“They haven’t washed up yet,” Trenton replied. “But, if I see anything or anyone of them, I’ll let you know. I don’t wanna assume the worse.”
What if they’re dead? Samson thought uneasily. He managed a smile as he watched the Rainbow Falls gurgling peacefully next to them. He mounted his horse Rainbow and rode her back home. He cleaned out her stable of excess water while she trotted around their backyard, nickering and picking at the grass.
Maqsedeth came out to meet them just as Samson observed Rainbow’s body language, noting the change in the sounds she made while he groomed her. “How’s Rainbow, Samson?” he asked him.
“She’s agitated, Father,” Samson replied, his brows furrowed. “The sudden flood and everything else that occurred yesterday must’ve upset her. I think she’s gonna need some time to calm down.”
Maqsedeth inspected her stable to find that a tree had crashed down inside it near where Rainbow usually lays her head. “Oh no,” he said. He removed the tree and repaired the stable roof as Samson continued grooming her. He and Maqsedeth fed Rainbow before finally heading back inside their house.
Samson made Maqsedeth and himself a grilled cheese sandwich and some hot cocoa. He brought it on a tray into the parlor where Maqsedeth sat. “I made your favorite: grilled cheese and hot cocoa,” Samson said as he set the tray on the table in front of him.
Maqsedeth smiled, "Thanks, Samson," he said. He sat up and grabbed his plate of grilled cheese and took a bite. While Maqsedeth ate, Samson picked up his mug of hot cocoa and took a sip. He sighed and lowered his gaze, "Why didn't you tell me about Demise, Father?" he asked.
Maqsedeth swallowed his bite of grilled cheese, "I wanted to protect you," he said, simply.
Samson looked at him, "And, you thought the best way to do that was to keep him a secret from me?" he asked. “What did he mean when he said I became a part of this whole thing when I helped you hide that pendant?”
Maqsedeth sighed but said nothing. He set his plate of grilled cheese down and picked up his mug of hot cocoa. He took a sip, “He was referring to the first time he wreaked havoc on the village Fruits and Berries,” he replied. “That day I sent you to the Rainbow Falls with the pendant and ever since then he has held a grudge.”
Samson thought back to when he was helping his father clean up and the ground shook them off their feet. That was the very first cataclysm of Summer Breeze and when he first met Demise. He was just eight years old then and Demise had threatened to kill him if Maqsedeth didn’t tell him where the pendant was. Samson sighed and looked intently at his father, “What was the pendant called?” he asked him. “I mean if the Ancient Power of old is called the Xeroxygoniean Diamond Sapphire then what was the name of the treasure Demise is so desperate to find?”
Maqsedeth sighed, “The name of the pendant is the Nieaockonioan Sapphire,” he replied. “It was created to use along with the Termination Sword but I realized, too late, that I had made a mistake. I sought every opportunity to destroy it but the pendant is self-sustained. It can only be destroyed with a pure magic.”
“Do you have the power to destroy it?” Samson asked.
Maqsedeth shook his head, to Samson’s surprise, “The pendant now has the power to destroy us and everything we stand for, if it falls into the wrong hands,” he said. “The pure magic needed to destroy it is only contained within an Erosian who doesn’t have close ties to the dark side.”
“But, you don’t,” Samson said as he set his mug of hot cocoa down and took a bite out of his grilled cheese sandwich. He peered at Maqsedeth who had suddenly fallen quiet. “You don’t, right?” he asked him.
“I wish that was true, Samson,” Maqsedeth sighed, “I really do. But, it isn’t. The truth is, Samson, I do have close ties to the dark side. I know Demise. He and I we’re best friends�"like brothers, long before planet Eros stopped sustaining life.”
Samson fell silent and almost dropped a bite of grilled cheese out of his mouth. He gasped and swallowed at the same time and ended up choking on his sandwich. He sipped his hot cocoa and took a deep breath, “Wow, that changes things,” he coughed.
“You remember when I told you about Sharon?” Maqsedeth asked him.
Samson nodded, recalling their conversation the past summer about Samson’s younger sister. He had tried to go searching for her but to no avail. Maqsedeth sighed, “Well, she was his daughter,” he said. “After the death of his wife, Amelia, Hector�"that was his name before he called himself Demise�"lost it. Because of his mental condition, Lord Eros took custody of his daughter, delivering the final blow to Hector’s mental instability.”
Samson choked on his sip of hot cocoa, “I’m sorry,” he gagged, “did you just say that my younger sister is actually Demise’s�"I mean, Hector’s daughter?”
Maqsedeth sighed, “I know this is a lot to swallow,” he said. “But, yes. He’s my brother-in-law. Amelia was my older sister.”
“Then, that means Demise is my uncle,” Samson said, almost choking on the word ‘uncle’. “And Sharon is actually my cousin.”
Maqsedeth nodded, “Yeah. We made a vow back in Charmander to always have each other’s backs,” he said. “I gave him the Termination Sword with the understanding that he’d only use it defend and protect my family and I will defend and protect his. But, after the death of his wife, my sister Amelia, he went berserk. He said he heard about the Nieaockonioan Sapphire from one of the guys that helped me mold and sharpen the Termination Sword. He felt he was entitled to it since it was the corresponding pendant to the Termination Sword. But, I refused to let him have because I was still looking for a way to destroy it.”
Samson finished his grilled cheese sandwich and sighed, “But, you just said that the pendant can only be destroyed by pure magic,” he said. “If we have close ties to the dark side then there’s really no one available to help.”
Maqsedeth turned to look at Samson and sighed. Samson turned to him to discover he was watching him, “What?” he asked.
You don’t have close ties to the dark side, I do,” Maqsedeth corrected. “You don’t know Demise that well. You’re not tainted with close ties to the dark side in this life. Your magic is still pure.”
Samson’s jaw dropped and his eyes widened, “And yours isn’t?” he asked. “But, Father, I thought you were a good guy.”
Maqsedeth sighed, “There’s so many things about my past that I still have yet to tell you, but now isn’t the time,” he said. “Right now, I’ve told you all you need to know about Demise. Anyway, you must destroy the pendant before Demise comes searching for it, again.”
"He's dead," Samson said, finishing his hot cocoa, "I defeated him in battle. But, he said I could not defeat him and that he'll be back. What did that mean?"
"He can't die," Maqsedeth replied. "He's a mage too. He's a Necromancer, which means that he can bring himself back to life or he can place his essence into another vessel." 
“Oh okay,” Samson said as he stood. He picked up the tray of dirty dishes and departed the parlor. Maqsedeth followed Samson into the kitchen, "I think I should probably get some sleep," he said. "I'm tired. I'll see you when I wake, Samson."
Samson smiled, “Sleep tight, Father,” he said as Maqsedeth departed the kitchen. He washed the dishes and waited for Maqsedeth to go into his bedroom before going upstairs to get his guitar and karaoke machine. He returned to the kitchen, lifted up the cabinets in the back of the room, and went inside. He turned on the lights to reveal a grand piano and a large harp in the corner. The room was enormous with cream colored marble tile on the floor and neutral colored walls. There was a golden and diamond chandelier in the middle of the room, which painted the whole room in a golden light.


© 2017 Desirée Tolliver


Author's Note

Desirée Tolliver
The Petrifying Woods is also available on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and Lulu.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

155 Views
Added on December 1, 2017
Last Updated on December 1, 2017


Author

Desirée Tolliver
Desirée Tolliver

Port Gibson, MS



About
I'm just an aspiring writer looking to meet other aspiring writers. Writing is what I do. I live, love, and breathe writing. I live off this quote by Rainer Maria Rilke: "If, when you wake up in the m.. more..

Writing