Chapter One: A Nautical Birthday Party

Chapter One: A Nautical Birthday Party

A Chapter by Desirée Tolliver
"

The morning of the village chief's birthday, Maqsedeth is given a wake up call about his impending doom as Camille the Fairy visits him in a dream...

"
It hit him like a hurricane when he finally realized his time was up. As he lied in bed in his room, he could hear the sound of footsteps on the floor outside his bedroom door. Samson’s awake, he thought. I’d better get breakfast started. Maqsedeth sat up in bed, and threw off his covers. He knew he had to keep a good mood since today was Trenton’s birthday, but he couldn’t stop thinking about that one line from his prophecy, One day one of your comrades will turn against you because of jealousy and you’ll die by his hand. He always knew this day would come, but it wasn’t until last night that the severity of it settled in. That was the night Camille visited him in a dream.

He was standing on the roof of a building over-looking a city. Small restaurants and stores lined every corner. Children walked home from school on the busy streets. In the distance was a large park and thirty large golden buildings that rose until their tops got lost in the clouds. This city looked oddly familiar to him, though he could not recall why.

He recognized the familiar sounds and smells in the air. The sound of the wind blowing through the trees, the smell of fresh bread from the bakery down the street, the sound of laughter from the neighborhood kids, and the sound of the dinner bell from the house behind him. He turned and saw his young beautiful mother in her house clothes standing on the front porch. “Supper’s ready,” she called. He moved towards her and the dream shifted.

This time he was at a cemetery and everyone was wearing black. Sorrow was in the air and the sky above them became dark. Suddenly, it began to rain as the pastor began to speak. He sat next to his mother as she mourned the loss of her dearly beloved. He comforted her as best as he could. He looked up and locked eyes with Camille, the fairy.

She pointed to the casket as it was lowered into the ground and mouthed the words, “You’re next”. Suddenly, it wasn’t his father’s funeral anymore, but his own. He was in the casket as it was lowered into the ground. They began covering it with dirt until he could no longer see the sky. Everything around him went dark and he awoke.

“You’re next” she had said.

Maqsedeth rose from his bed and showered. He got dressed and went into the kitchen, where he found Samson cooking grits. “Good morning, Father,” Samson said as Maqsedeth took a pack of raw sausage patties from the freezer. “How are you feeling this morning?”

Awful, Maqsedeth thought, but I don’t want to dampen his mood. “Fine, thanks,” Maqsedeth replied, dryly.

Samson studied Maqsedeth as he began cooking the sausage patties in a pan. He seemed to be distracted by something. “Father, are you sure you’re okay?” Samson asked him. “You’re awfully quiet today. What’s wrong?”

Maqsedeth didn’t answer. He opened the refrigerator and brought out a carton of eggs. He opened it and began to cook scrambled eggs still deep in thought about the dream he had that morning.

Samson sighed, “Father, what’s wrong?” he asked.

Maqsedeth still didn’t answer. He seemed to be quite taken by the sausage and eggs he was cooking. Samson sighed exasperated, “Father, why won’t you answer me?” he pressed. “Father? Say something!”

“Yes, son?” Maqsedeth finally replied. “Did you…say something?”

“What’s wrong?” Samson asked.

Maqsedeth sighed, “Sit down, Samson,” he said.

Samson sat down at the table and looked at Maqsedeth. “I didn’t want to say anything because today is a special day for a friend of ours, but you’re right Samson. I’m not okay,” he said as he turned the sausage patties over in the pan and continued scrambling the eggs. “This morning, I received a wakeup call about my…terrible fate. I realized I hadn’t done much planning for my departure. But, I know I can’t just leave you here by yourself because you need someone. You’re never too old to need someone.”

Samson suddenly got a bad taste in his mouth when Maqsedeth said the words ‘terrible fate’. He swallowed, hoping it would go away but it didn’t. “What do you mean you received a wakeup call about your…fate?” he asked.

Maqsedeth placed the cooked sausage patties and scrambled eggs on a plate and set it on the table. He cut the stove top off and sat at the table across from Samson. He sighed, “I had a dream last night,” he replied. He proceeded to tell Samson about the dream he had. When he had finished, an eerie quiet settled over the breakfast table and for a long while, no one said a word.

Samson recalled when Maqsedeth first told him the news. It was the day after his birthday, a week before his trial. He was sitting next to his father in the upstairs parlor. His father explained to him about his secret. As wonderful as it was, there’ll be a price he’d have to pay. He told him, “You can’t get angry because of my fate. Just remember what I said to you earlier about your grandmother. Just cherish the moments you have with me and everything will be fine…”

He had just lost his grandmother the night of his birthday, moments before he had been arrested. What hurt worse than the loss of his grandmother was: he wasn’t given much time to spend with her before her death. The moments of her time with him he had to cherish were just that: moments.

Now, it was his father’s turn for departure. He sat in the kitchen across the table from Maqsedeth as he let the news settle in. The reality of the matter was that Maqsedeth and Samson wouldn’t have much time to spend with each other and the time they spend together would only be limited to moments in their lives. Samson didn’t like that at all.

“What am I supposed to do without you?” Samson asked, holding back tears.

Maqsedeth sighed, “You’ll be fine,” he managed, “You have Trenton, Ebonie, oh, and Ptolemy. We can’t forget Ptolemy. They’ll always be there for you, Samson. And, I will always be with you in your heart. But, enough about me. Let’s start planning Trenton’s birthday party, shall we?”

Samson considered that for a while. Well, it would be a good idea since we already decided, weeks ago, to do something special for him out of gratitude for all that he’s done for us, he thought. He nodded, “Okay,” he said. “What plans did you have in mind for Trenton’s birthday?”

Maqsedeth sighed and rubbed his chin, “Well, I know the Parishes have already begun their plans for Trenton’s birthday,” he said. “They called recently and suggested that you and I help.”

“Yeah, I remember,” Samson said, recalling their phone conversation a couple of days ago. “They said that anything dealing with music or the sea would be good for Trenton’s birthday. Ptolemy and I were thinking about having his birthday party on an actual ship. He said the Parishes have already agreed to it.”

“Where will you get a ship?” Maqsedeth asked.

“Well, Ptolemy and I already bought one,” Samson said. “We were hoping to present it to Trenton as his birthday gift during the party.”

“That’s nice, Samson, but Trenton already has a ship, in case you’ve forgotten,” Maqsedeth replied. “It’s called the Nocturne Voyager.”

Samson dropped his gaze and gritted his teeth. “He had a ship,” he said softly.

Maqsedeth sighed and studied him for a while. He saw from his expression that something must’ve happened to Trenton’s Nocturne Voyager. “What about now?” he asked.

Samson explained that when he went searching for Sharon, a large sea serpent attacked the Nocturne Voyager. When he fought the sea serpent, he lost control of the Nocturne Voyager and crashed into some large rocks by Margin beach off the coast of Warm Welcome, causing the ship to sink into the Gulf of Manorá. Maqsedeth sighed, “You didn’t tell Trenton any of this?” he asked. “Why didn’t you?”

“I was afraid,” Samson said, disappointed in himself. “I was afraid he’d hate me for it.”

“You know he’s gonna ask you eventually,” Maqsedeth said. “Especially, since you’re giving him a ship for his birthday.”

“I know, I know,” Samson said, “I’ll tell him.” Maqsedeth found it hard to believe him and it showed on his face. “I will,” Samson insisted. “I’m just…I’m still afraid.”

Maqsedeth and Samson fixed their plates and ate their breakfast, which had eventually gotten cold. After breakfast, they departed their house and met with Rob, Molly, and Butch to head over to Margin beach to decorate for Trenton’s birthday.

“Ptolemy told me to tell you that he’ll meet us over there,” Butch said.

Samson nodded.

They passed through the clearing by his and Maqsedeth’s house. They passed by the Sunflower Palace and went through the Gates of Manorá until they made it to the Magical Forest. Rob led them to their right and they found themselves at a sandy area lined with restaurants, bars, hotels, and beach houses. The ocean was a deep blue and glistened in the noon sun, and the wind was fair so there weren’t very many waves in the water.

Rob led them towards the far end of Margin beach where a large ship was docked. It was pearl white and navy blue. It had large cabins and looked to hold at least 1,500 passengers and 500 crew members. Samson thought it looked exactly like Trenton’s Nocturne Voyager, except this ship didn’t have a name yet.

Rob led them up the gangway towards the ship’s deck, where Ptolemy stood waiting for them. He was dressed in blue jeans, a blue T-shirt, and white sneakers. His golden blond hair wasn’t braided this time, so he looked like the splitting image of Samson, except he was bronze while Samson was a shade lighter. When he saw them, he smiled broadly, “It’s about time y’all showed up,” he said. “I was getting worried.”

Samson smiled back, “So, where have you been?” he asked. “I didn’t see you this morning at breakfast.”

Ptolemy sighed, “I had to work,” he said. “You know, I work for the Patriarch as his right hand man. But, enough about me, did you bring the decorations?”

Rob nodded, holding up a large banner roll, “So, what’s the game plan?” he asked.

Ptolemy smiled and led them aboard. He showed them the banner, which read “HAPPY BIRTHDAY TRENTON!!!” would go over the ship’s cabin house. While Maqsedeth and Rob were putting up the banner, Molly and Butch went back to Fruits and Berries to get the gift they had for Trenton, reminding the villagers there about Trenton’s birthday. The villagers followed Molly and Butch back to Margin beach, bringing their entrées with them.

Ptolemy led the villagers aboard the ship and showed Molly and Butch the gift they had brought for Trenton would go in one of the cabin rooms. Maqsedeth took the entrées into the ship’s galley and kept them warm. Samson and Ptolemy set the tables. Ptolemy went into one of the cabin rooms, brought out Samson’s guitar and his violin, and placed them by the cabin house.

Samson nodded towards the violin, “I didn’t know you played an instrument,” he said.

Ptolemy smiled, “Yeah, well, there are a lot of things you don’t know about me,” he said.

“So, why bring them here?” Samson asked. “Are you gonna present them to Trenton for his birthday?”

Ptolemy shook his head and lowered his gaze. “I just thought we could maybe perform for Trenton on his birthday,” he replied.

Samson went pale with shock. He gasped, “We? Please tell me you don’t mean us,” he said. “I’ve never sang in front of a large crowd before…”

Ptolemy sighed, “Neither have I, but there’s more to a performance than just singing, Samson,” he said. “Don’t worry. I’m just as scared as you are. Your father suggested the idea…”

Great, not only do I have to tell Trenton the news about his grand Nocturne Voyager, but I also have to perform before him and hundreds of people? Samson thought, uneasily. Why would my father do that to me? He knows I have stage fright…

Ptolemy placed his hand on Samson’s shoulder and smiled, “Don’t worry, it’s gonna be fine,” he said. “Just take a deep breath.”

Samson nodded, “Okay,” he said, “I’m breathing.”

Molly and Butch ran on deck, and said, “Guys, Trenton and Ebonie are on their way here.”

Trenton and Ebonie emerged on deck and were confronted by the villagers, who swarmed them and shouted, “SURPRISE!!!”

Trenton laughed, “Samson, what did you do?” he called. “And, whose ship is this?”

Samson’s face turned red with embarrassment, “Um, I can’t tell you that,” he replied. “It’s a surprise.”

Trenton smiled, “A surprise?” he asked. “Speaking of surprises, who told y’all today was my birthday? The only people I told were Samson and Maqsedeth.”

Samson and Maqsedeth exchanged looks. “Well, um, we would’ve taken it to our graves but Rob pulled our ears,” Samson replied.

“You wouldn’t talk to us,” Rob said.

“I promised Trenton that I wouldn’t tell you the secret,” Samson returned.

“It’s alright, Samson,” Trenton said, “because now the cat’s out of the bag.”

Ebonie sat at one of the tables as Rob and Maqsedeth brought out a platter of baked trout and mushrooms, and a tray of sparkling grape juice. They served her and she ate while Jazz music filled the air. Samson sat across from her, “Hey, do you wanna play Uno with me?” he asked her.

She chuckled, “You know I don’t play card games,” she replied, sipping her drink.

“Come on,” he prodded. “Unless you’re afraid you’ll lose.”

Ebonie smiled, “You’re on,” she said.

Samson grinned, “That’s the spirit,” he said.

He shuffled the card deck, giving the both of them seven cards, and placed the deck in the middle of the table. The game of Uno began in Ebonie’s favor, since she successfully got Samson to draw more cards and she was down to her last two. But, she gave Samson the ammo he needed to beat her at Uno and he played 4 skip cards and 3 wild draw four cards. “Well played,” Ebonie said. “Until next time.”

Samson gave Butch his Uno cards back. He and Ebonie enjoyed some baked trout and sparkling grape juice, chatting about various topics. “I can’t believe it has been ten months since we last hung out together,” Ebonie sighed, gazing into the distance. “When The Chaos began to rise and we were kidnapped, I have to admit, I was more worried about you than I was about us.”

Samson was shocked that she’d say such a thing. He sipped his drink, “Why? Y’all were the ones in trouble,” he said. “With The Chaos rising in seven days, I was worried that I wouldn’t have much time to stop him…”

Ebonie sighed, “I thought you were dead, that The Chaos had already devoured you. It wasn’t until I saw you in the darkest part of The Dark Lands that I knew you were still alive,” she said. She took Samson’s hand and squeezed it, “I have a bad feeling that some harm will come to your family in some way, but I just can’t put my finger on it…I had a dream last night…” Just then, Rob and Maqsedeth came out of the ship’s galley with Trenton’s birthday cake.

Samson squeezed her hand back, “Tell me later, okay?” he said as he stood. They sang “Happy Birthday” to Trenton and everyone applauded.

Trenton cut and served the cake and Maqsedeth approached Samson and Ptolemy, “Guys, it’s time,” he whispered.

Samson felt sick to his stomach and he placed his plate of half-eaten birthday cake on the table by Ebonie’s plate. He looked over at Ptolemy and saw that Ptolemy looked almost as nervous as he felt. Ptolemy managed a smile and handed Samson his guitar, “Let’s do this,” he said, picking up his violin.

Samson gulped, “Yeah,” he whimpered.

“Samson, just breathe, okay?” Ptolemy said.

Samson nodded. He took a deep breath and worked to steel his nerves.

They went towards the back of the ship’s deck where everyone was dancing and celebrating. Samson plugged his guitar into an amplifier. He sat on the stool provided and began tuning his guitar. He took a deep breath as Ptolemy unpacked his violin and bow. Samson knew that Ptolemy was as nervous as he was but he was very good at hiding it. Ptolemy tapped the mic, “How are y’all doing this afternoon?” he asked the crowd that had just formed in front of them. “Samson and I would like to make a presentation to the birthday boy, but first we’d like to play a song.”

Dan and Ken soon joined them. Dan sat at the drums behind Samson and Ken stood at the keyboard behind Ptolemy. Samson looked back at them and gave them a questioning look. Dan picked up the drumsticks and winked at him. “Trust me, I know what I’m doing,” he said to him.

Ken nodded in agreement, “Let’s play the song you and Ptolemy wrote together,” he suggested.

Samson sighed and looked at Ptolemy. He shrugged, “I guess that’ll do,” he said.

“Alright,” Samson relented, “as long as we all agree. Ptolemy, are you ready?”

Ptolemy nodded and turned to face the crowd. Samson strummed a chord on his guitar and began playing a soft melody. He played for a few heartbeats, allowing himself to get lost in the music. Ken joined in the melody, playing a few chords on the keyboard. Dan tapped a beat on the drums. Ptolemy picked up where the lead vocals would have, replacing them with the notes on his violin. Their instruments harmonized together for a while, filling the air with a lovely sound.

At the conclusion of the song, the crowd applauded. “At this time, we’ll make our presentation to the birthday boy,” Ptolemy announced. “Would y’all be so kind to follow us off the ship, please?”

He packed his violin back in its case and led everyone off the ship via the gangway. They all gathered on the white sands of Margin beach on the coast of Warm Welcome. Ptolemy and Samson stood on the docks, facing the villagers, “Mr. Trenton, would you join us, please?” Ptolemy asked.

Trenton climbed onto the docks and looked curiously at Samson and Ptolemy, “Guys, what’s going on?” he asked.

“Remember when you asked me whose ship this is?” Samson asked.

Trenton nodded, “So, whose ship is this?” he asked.

“This is your ship,” Samson replied. “Ptolemy and I pooled our money together and bought this ship for you.”

Trenton smiled, “Thanks, Samson, but I already have a ship that looks just like it,” he said. “The Nocturne Voyager, that’s its name. Surely, you haven’t forgotten that.”

Samson’s expression darkened and Trenton knew immediately that something was wrong. “Now, that I think about it, I never got my ship back,” he said. “When I let you borrow it, you never returned it to the docks near the Shakespeare district of Fruits and Berries. Why?”

Samson looked like Trenton had just hit him between the eyes. He lowered his gaze and departed the docks towards the gangway.

Trenton followed him, “Samson,” he called, “What happened? What’s wrong?”

Samson sighed, “Well, this is your ship,” he said. “I was hoping you’d like it.”

Trenton smiled, “Yes, I do. Thank you, but you still haven’t answered my question,” he said.

Samson’s face went pale from fright. “Not in front of all these people,” he said softly.

Trenton sighed, “Would you prefer telling me in private?” he asked.

Samson nodded, “Later, after the party,” he said.

They returned to the docks. “Happy Birthday, Trenton,” Ptolemy said. “Here’s your very own ship. Hope you enjoy.” He approached Samson, “Are you alright?” he asked him.

Samson nodded, “Yeah, I just…got a little bit of stage fright there,” he said.

Ptolemy nodded, unconvinced, “Okay,” he said. He handed Trenton some paint. “So, what will you name her?” he asked Trenton.

Trenton approached the ship. He took the paint from Ptolemy and painted the words Nocturne Voyager No.2 on the ship’s port. He smiled, “I’ve named her Nocturne Voyager No.2,” he announced. “Thank you, Samson and Ptolemy for this beautiful ship you got me. And, Samson, we’ll talk later, okay?”

Samson nodded, feeling like his heart was about to combust, and Ptolemy led everyone back on the Nocturne Voyager No.2. He had Trenton sit down at one of the tables on the deck while he went into one of the cabin rooms to get the other gift brought to the party.

Rob presented Trenton with his gift, “Here you go, Trenton,” he said. “I know the one you had was broken.”

Trenton smiled and took the box gingerly. He opened it to discover a shiny gold object inside. “A sextant,” he announced. “Thanks, Rob.”

“Well, that’s all the presentations we have for our birthday boy,” Ptolemy announced. “Please, enjoy the refreshments.”

“Thanks, you guys,” Trenton said. “I didn’t expect this. I mean, a birthday party on a ship? You guys really know how to spoil someone.”

Samson and Ptolemy laughed.

“I’m glad you enjoyed it,” Samson said.

Once all the food was devoured, Samson, Ptolemy, Maqsedeth, and Rob all cleaned up the Nocturne Voyager No.2. They took down the banner that was over the ship’s cabin house and discarded it. They washed the dishes and returned them to their proper places in the ship’s galley. They picked up the tables from the deck and returned them to the dining area of the ship. They packed up the musical instruments and hauled them off the ship via the gangway.

They followed the rest of the villagers back towards the Magical Forest. When they caught up with the others, Dan took the drums from Maqsedeth and Ken took the keyboard from Samson. He retrieved his guitar and amplifier from Ptolemy as they passed through the Gates of Manorá. Once they came to Samson and Maqsedeth’s house, they parted ways.

Trenton turned to Samson, “So, what happened to my Nocturne Voyager?” he asked him.

Samson sighed, “It crashed into some large rocks off the coast of Warm Welcome and sunk,” he replied. “I’m really sorry. That’s why I--we--bought you a new one. I hope you’re not too pissed off at me.”

“Why you never told me?” Trenton asked.

“I was afraid,” Samson said.

Trenton sighed, “It’s alright. I forgive you,” he said. “Thank you for the ship, Samson. And, you too, Ptolemy.”

Ptolemy winked at him and followed Maqsedeth and Samson inside the house. Ptolemy and Samson went up the stairs to their rooms while Maqsedeth cleaned up in the kitchen. Samson put his guitar back inside his closet and departed his bedroom. He and Ptolemy joined Maqsedeth in the kitchen to help him get dinner started.

Ptolemy fried chicken and Samson boiled some vegetables while Maqsedeth cooked some rice. After a while, they fixed their plates and took their seats at the table. “Well, today was interesting,” Maqsedeth said.

Samson sat in silence, picking at the vegetables on his plate. Ptolemy studied him for a while. He saw his face was downcast and he could read grief in the slump of his shoulders. His eyes darkened, like the deep blue sea after a storm. Ptolemy immediately knew something was ailing him. He sighed, “Hey, you okay?” he asked him.

Samson looked up from his plate, startled, “Huh? Oh, yeah, I’m fine…” he said.

“Samson, it’s alright,” Ptolemy said. “You can tell me.”

Samson sighed and glanced at Maqsedeth, “Really, it’s nothing…can we talk about something else please?” he said, eager to change the subject.

Maqsedeth sighed, “You’re still thinking about what we discussed at breakfast, are you?” he asked.

“I don’t want to talk about that,” Samson said, quickly. “Let’s talk about the party cuisine. I really liked how the sparkling grape juice accented the baked trout and mushrooms. I thought it was really good. What was y’all’s favorite?”

“Samson, why don’t you want to talk about what you and Mr. Maqsedeth discussed at breakfast?” Ptolemy pressed. “What did you guys talk about?”

Samson refused to answer and instead shoveled spoonfuls of vegetables and rice into his mouth. Ptolemy sighed and nibbled on his fried chicken. He looked at Samson and back at Maqsedeth. “So, what was it?” he asked, softly.

Maqsedeth sighed, “In order for it to make sense, I’d have to start from the very beginning,” he said. He proceeded to explain to Ptolemy about his secret and the grave consequences he’d have to suffer because of it. He told him about the dream he had that morning and once he was done, an eerie quiet settled over the dinner table.

Ptolemy read the expression on Samson’s face and he immediately knew that this was very hard for him to handle. Samson sighed, I know I probably shouldn’t feel this way, but I wish they would stop talking about this, he thought, bitterly. I understand he’s leaving soon, but does he have to rub it in my face like that? I can’t stand it anymore…

Ptolemy ate a spoonful of vegetables and sighed. “I guess that explains why Samson didn’t want to talk about it,” he said. “It’s depressing…”

Samson blinked the tears out of his eyes, “Yes, it is. Now can we please stop talking about it?” he asked.

They ate their dinner in silence and afterwards they cleaned up the kitchen. They departed into their bedrooms and while Samson got ready for bed, he heard a knock on his bedroom door. He opened it to find Ptolemy there. “What are you doing here?” Samson asked him.

Ptolemy sighed, “I just wanted to check on you,” he replied. “Are you okay?”

Samson sighed, “You already know I’m not,” he said. “I just wanted to end the day on a happy note, that’s all. But, instead--never mind…I don’t think you’d understand…”

“I do understand, Samson,” Ptolemy replied. “I know I was raised by a king but it doesn’t mean we’re any different. I feel your pain…” Sometimes, more than you know, he thought.

“I already lost my mother and my grandmother,” Samson grumbled. “Why must I lose him, too?”

Ptolemy sighed. “Do you remember what I told you when you asked me why I must protect you?” he asked him.

Samson nodded, “You said you’ve been protecting me my whole life, and that you watched me grow up,” he said. “Why?”

“I meant that quite literally, so I’m very familiar with your pain,” Ptolemy replied. “I wanted you to be happy, but I can’t stop trouble from happening. The more I interfere, the more people get hurt. If I could do anything about your father’s predicament, I would, but he said it won’t help. So, no matter what I do, or don’t do…someone would still get hurt…I’m so sorry, Samson.”

Samson’s jaw dropped, “What do you mean the more you interfere, the more people get hurt?” he asked, turning on Ptolemy with surprising force. “Are you saying that you’re responsible for my mother’s and grandmother’s deaths?”

Ptolemy was shocked to silence. He couldn’t believe Samson would accuse him of something like that. I would never intentionally harm him or his family, he thought. “No, of course not,” he said. “I meant to say that I requested everyone’s help to keep you safe. You were--and still are--the most wanted man in all of planet Eros and planet Xerox. It was hard, but I finally convinced everyone to give you a second chance, including The Living Circle. Unfortunately, your father made some enemies and you got caught in the middle. King Silus was impossible to stop. He wanted you dead so badly…He came to your birthday party with his…so called gift. I wanted so badly to dispose of it but before I could, Dan took it into the house. I couldn’t do anything without accidentally alerting you to my presence before it was time, so I had no control over what happened that night…”

Samson glared at him. “So, you just let it happen…because you didn’t want to alert me to your presence?” he asked. “That sounds selfish to me.”

Tensions rose between them as Samson worked to control his anger. He knew he probably shouldn’t blame Ptolemy for his grandmother’s death because it really wasn’t his fault, but the fact that Ptolemy was there and didn’t do anything to stop it just made it harder for him to stay calm around him. He felt a cold shiver crawl down his spine and he saw his shadow shift beneath his feet, as though it was trying to break free. Alright, I really need to stay calm, he thought, taking a deep breath. I don’t want to bring back The Chaos. But, still, why didn’t Ptolemy do anything to prevent my grandmother’s death?

“If I had interfered, Infinite Blade would’ve erased your memory of me, along with the memory of your birthday party, forever,” Ptolemy replied. “It would hurt everyone involved: your father and your friends, so I couldn’t risk it. I’d really appreciate it if you didn’t judge me so harshly.”

Samson mused over that for a while. Then, something clicked in his mind. “Wait a minute, Infinite Blade had already done that,” he said. “You said a few months ago while we were in The Dark Lands that Infinite Blade wiped the memory of you along with the memory of me losing my mother from my mind forever. Does that mean you interfered with my mother’s death?”

Ptolemy fell silent and didn’t answer for a few heart beats. “You should probably get some rest now,” he suggested after a while. “You’re really tired and I don’t want you to be groggy in the morning.” He turned to depart Samson’s bedroom.

“Wait, Ptolemy,” Samson called. “You still haven’t answered my question.” He pulled on Ptolemy’s arm and made him face him. “Please, just tell me the truth. Did you?” he asked him.

Ptolemy’s eyes filled with tears and he turned towards the bedroom door, away from Samson’s intense gaze. He took a deep breath and held back a sob. “Look, Samson, I only wanted to protect you,” he said. “I never meant for your mother to die. I had a very hard choice to make. I tried to save her, I really did, but the ground took her before I could…I’m so sorry…”

“What was the choice you had to make?” Samson pressed.

Ptolemy sighed, “It was either you and Maqsedeth or her,” he replied.

Samson was shocked to silence. His gaze softened a little and his throat closed up as he considered Ptolemy’s reply. “And, you chose to save me and my father,” he said after a while. Well, this certainly changes things… he thought.

Ptolemy nodded and wiped his eyes, “Now, I really think you should get some rest,” he said, his voice rich with emotion.

“Are you crying?” Samson asked.

Instead of answering, Ptolemy opened Samson’s bedroom door and departed. He went into the bedroom next to his and closed the door. Samson sighed and closed his bedroom door. He mused over the conversation he and Ptolemy had. I guess that explains why I thought he looked so familiar, he thought. He was there at the Cataclysm of The City of Aristotle…so I guess this means, if it wasn’t for Ptolemy, I wouldn’t be alive today.

He got ready for bed and opened his door to go out into the backyard to check on Rainbow, when he discovered Maqsedeth standing there. “Father, I thought you were asleep,” Samson said.

Maqsedeth sighed, “I couldn’t sleep,” he said. “I also couldn’t help overhearing you and Ptolemy talking in here.”

“I hope we didn’t keep you awake,” Samson said.

Maqsedeth shook his head. “So, he finally told you, huh?” he said.

Samson nodded, “Yeah, he did,” he said. “I didn’t know he was even there. How did you know?”

Maqsedeth sighed, “I was there, too, Samson,” he replied. “I witnessed the whole thing. He made me promise not to tell you. He also made me promise not to reveal too much of my past to you.”

Samson thought about what Maqsedeth said for a while, but he didn’t know what to make of it. He sighed, “Alright, well, good night, Father,” he said.

Samson went out to the backyard to check on Rainbow. He groomed her, fed her, and kept her company for a while before returning to his bedroom to go to sleep. He lied awake for a while before finally drifting off into a deep dreamless sleep.

Meanwhile, Maqsedeth couldn’t sleep a wink. He went into the kitchen for a glass water before returning to his bedroom where he lied awake in the dark, staring at the ceiling. He couldn’t sleep for fear of what he’d dream about next. Eventually, his eyelids began to feel heavy and he fell asleep against his will.


© 2018 Desirée Tolliver


Author's Note

Desirée Tolliver
The Magical Forest is the fifth and final book of The Adventures of Sam series and immediately follows the events of The Dark Lands.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

61 Views
Added on September 15, 2018
Last Updated on October 3, 2018


Author

Desirée Tolliver
Desirée Tolliver

Port Gibson, MS



About
I'm just an aspiring writer looking to meet other aspiring writers. Writing is what I do. I live, love, and breathe writing. I live off this quote by Rainer Maria Rilke: "If, when you wake up in the m.. more..

Writing