Amsterdam

Amsterdam

A Story by Lucy Joan

There once was a bridge in Amsterdam. You stood at the edge of the bridge and held a rope, so that I might climb to you. This rope, was called Love. Love was made out of selfless strings, and it was made so that it was strong enough to hold two people.

 

Some days, I grew tired of climbing because that bridge in Amesterdam was so high that it reached the skies. So I would lean on Love for support, and it would hold me up everyday. Some days, when I found myself a great distance from the ground, I would slip and fall down and accidentally let go of the rope, because the air was thin where you are on that bridge in Amsterdam. And everytime I tried to climb, it hurt to breathe; hurt to call out your name; and my heart would pound painfully against my chest in warning. Many times this happened, but I grew stronger, and each time I would climb a little bit closer to you. One day, I found myself being pulled higher and higher, so I stopped climbing because I knew that you were there on the other side, pulling us together.

 

But I was wrong. I looked at Love, and saw that you were pulling the rope for yourself, so that you might  hold it for someone else that come along. Then you pulled the rope over your neck so that it would never fall out of your grasp, and the longer I held on, the more I was hurting you.

 

Love is selfless. Nothing more, nothing less. The rope was breaking, and you were hurting. So I took one last glance of the rope, looked at Love and it’s selfless strings, then let go. When I fell, I hurt for a long time. But I didn’t mind, because now when I look up to where you are on that bridge in Amsterdam, you are with Love. I walk with a limp now, because I leaned on Love for much too long, but at least I’m on my own two feet.

© 2012 Lucy Joan


Author's Note

Lucy Joan
An analogy of love.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is a painful love you described in this poem. I like the use of climbing and the bridge. Love can play tricks on us and cause great pain. But without love. What would we have to look forward to. A strong ending to a excellent poem.
Coyote

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 20, 2012
Last Updated on February 20, 2012

Author

Lucy Joan
Lucy Joan

About
"You can't write feuilletons with half a mind or one hand tied behind your back... I am not an encore, not a pudding, I am the main dish. I don't write 'witty glosses.' I paint the portrait of the a.. more..

Writing
Br ken Br ken

A Poem by Lucy Joan