The Reader - Chapter 11

The Reader - Chapter 11

A Chapter by A.L.

Chapter 11

If Beckett hadn’t grabbed Emmeline’s arm last minute she would have died. And that was no exaggeration. 

The small boy yanked Emmeline, and although she didn’t budge far she had rolled far enough away that Newt’s sword hit the ground where she had just been, stirring up a small cloud of dust. 

The only thing that really saved Emmeline’s life was the slow reactions from her friends. They barely moved until after Newt had brought his sword from the ground back into the air. “We need to run, Emmeline!” Beckett called, scrambling to his feet. “We can’t fight them, they’re too strong!” 

“They’re our friends,” Emmeline argued, stumbling to her feet anyways. Newt’s face twisted in rage as Emmeline darted away, leaving behind her supplies. 

“Not anymore!” Beckett cried out, making a sharp turn around a tree. Emmeline was about to turn when she heard a thwack and saw an arrow embedded in the trunk of the tree beside her. Coral had her bow

Emmeline didn’t waste any more time, she bolted away, leaping over logs and other obstacles that slowed her other friends down. 

Or whatever had taken over her friends. 

She had lost sight of Beckett, and a flurry of panic overwhelmed her until she felt skinny hands around her ankles. Emmeline almost screamed but the hands pulled her downward. Emmeline hit the ground, and the hands pulled her under a fallen tree. 

Beckett was sitting there, his finger pressed to his lips and his eyes wide. 

Despite the fear pooling in Emmeline’s stomach, she felt calm enough to reassure Beckett with a nod. She couldn’t exactly hold out hope of her survival, but she knew that at least she would die quickly. 

“Can you fight them?” Beckett asked her, his voice high and trembling. 

Emmeline shook her head. “My weapons are all at our camp.” Beckett looked down, and Emmeline knew he was overcome by fear. “This happened to Newt before, he was possessed by a Rogue Goddess - probably Baelle. Forrest cut a gash in his arm and whatever was controlling him spilled out.” 

“How are we going to get close enough to cut slices in their arms?” Beckett whispered. “If you didn’t notice, they have swords.” 

Emmeline could feel her chest rising and falling at a quick pace. “I’ll distract them and you sneak up behind them and attack.” She knew it was a terrible idea, and it had little chance of working. But it made her less panicky. 

“Here, take one of my knives.” Beckett handed her a knife. “Stole it from some of the guards after our little brawl.” 

Emmeline accepted the tiny blade, but she knew it would be worthless against the swords and arrows that her friends/enemies had. What could a flimsy dagger accomplish? Absolutely nothing. 

Without waiting for another word from Beckett, Emmeline dashed out from under the log. She whistled loudly until she heard the crack of sticks under someone’s feet before darting away. The trees provided a difficult track, Emmeline was forced to continue making turns. A few times she ended up turned around and had to spin before Forrest or Newt caught up. 

But Emmeline was slowing quickly. The Reading from Beckett had sapped a good bit of her energy, and her adrenaline was running thin. 

Soon, Emmeline nearly ran straight into Clara, the girl’s weapons poised. Coral appeared on Emmeline’s other side, her bow held upright and an arrow pointed at the older girl’s chest. Newt and Forrest blocked off the remaining exits. 

Emmeline’s luck was gone, she was trapped. 

Newt flipped his sword around his wrist, completing a fancy move that Emmeline knew he would never have been able to accomplish if he was himself. 

“You have nowhere to go,” Newt said, his voice thin and robotic. 

Emmeline spun in a slow circle. She searched for an escape that she already knew was nonexistent. Forrest, Coral, and Clara had effectively cut off any chance for Emmeline to run. Her only hope was a small boy with a sharp knife. 

And that was if Beckett’s fear and logic didn’t overrule his need to save her. 

“Baelle,” Emmeline whispered, hoping maybe the name would earn her time and a reaction from Newt. 

His face twisted in a snarl. “Foolish girl, where is the Prince?” 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Emmeline spat. Newt snarled again and edged closer. Emmeline could hear the others in the clearing doing the same. “Maybe you should’ve paid more attention with all of your slaves.” 

“Slaves?” Newt asked, his voice shifting to a more feminine one. “You mean the villagers? Not even Maconil can protect them anymore. As for the Prince, I suspect you already knowing the amount of sharp things pointed at you. So answer my question or you might lose a finger.” 

Just keep her talking, Emmeline told herself. Beckett will come through. He has to

“Prince?” Emmeline raised an eyebrow, feigning confusion. “I thought there were no heirs to the throne.” 

“She is useless,” Clara spat in a voice not hers. It wasn’t Baelle’s voice either, it must have been one of the other Rogues. “The girl won’t tell us where the Prince is. But he won’t be too far - just kill her and get it over with.”

No! Emmeline couldn’t let them kill her. Not yet, Beckett had to be close. What was taking him so long? Was he waiting for a moment to attack, because there wouldn’t be a good time. “Who gets to kill me?” she asked as a last chance attempt to spare herself a few more seconds. 

Newt stroked his chin. “I suppose we all deserve the honor of your blood on our hands. On three.” 

He began to count down on his fingers and Emmeline braced for the worst. She expected an arrow and several blades to embed themselves into her, but there was no pain. Emmeline realized why. 

Beckett had pushed her from the spot and out of the way, he was on his knees, tears streaming down his face. “Don’t kill her.” 

“Beckett,” Emmeline hissed, but he held up his hand. 

Newt grinned, and Baelle spoke through him. “Fire away, ladies. Hit both targets.” 

The pain was immediate, but Emmeline felt no blood. She hadn’t realized she had closed her eyes, so she opened them and what she was magnificent. 

Beckett was standing over her, a pale green light radiating from his smaller body. His eyes were closed as the power flowed from him. The arrow and the blades shattered on impact with his body, the shrapnel flying everywhere. Something hit Emmeline in the cheek. 

She yelped in pain, which seemed to throw Beckett over the edge. His green light burst, exploding into a thousand pieces. The light seemed almost tangible as it brushed across a surprised looking Newt, Forrest, Clara, and Coral. The light sank into their skin and their eyes rolled up into their heads as they fell to the ground. 

Emmeline could feel the cool touch of the light as it sank into her as well. 

Beckett collapsed into an unmoving pile on the ground, and Emmeline tried to crawl to him. But then a silvery light shot outwards and hit Emmeline squarely in the chest. 

She could barely register the shock that came with the ice of the light. It sank into her, freezing her from the inside out. Emmeline felt her mind grow cold and numb as darkness pulled her into its grasp. 


Emmeline’s eyes fluttered open not long after, the still flaming logs casting shadows on her face. Soft fingers were touching her back, and Emmeline leapt to her feet assuming the worst. 

Clara stood over her, the younger girl’s fiery hair covered in mud. Her face was streaked with brown as well, but Emmeline didn’t say anything. 

Instead, Emmeline scrambled backwards over the uneven earth. She cowered near the closest tree, waiting for Clara to withdraw her blade. But the younger girl didnt move, she just stared at Emmeline in confusion.

Emmeline waited a moment for her heart to slow and let out a slow breath, calming herself down. The others were awake as well, except for Beckett. 

None of them seemed to want her dead, nor did they have the blank expressions that they had sported yesterday. “Is everything okay, Emmeline?” Clara asked her, eyes wide. Then she shook her head. “Never mind, that’s a terrible question. Something happened, you’re terrified of us. What’s wrong?” 

“Rogues,” Emmeline croaked out. 

Her chest throbbed where the silvery light had hit her, but she didn’t feel cold any more. 

Clara reached towards Emmeline with tentative fingers before grabbing her arms and softly pulling her closer to the fire. 

“Rogues,” Emmeline repeated. Her brain seemed to be functioning slower than normal. Was that a result of the silver light? Emmeline couldn’t be sure. She could only hope her thoughts would catch up. 

Newt handed her a canteen of water and Emmeline graciously took a sip, letting the cool water soothe her throat. 

“You were out cold - we all were,” Clara rambled. “I was the first to wake, probably due to my Blessing. I woke the others and tried to wake Beckett, but he won’t wake up. What’s going on, Emmeline?” A note of panic filled Clara’s voice in the last question. 

The throbbing had faded a bit, and Emmeline’s thoughts were coherent now, enough for her to speak. 

“I don’t know how much you remember,” Emmeline said, dropping her gaze. She couldn’t meet Newt’s eyes. Not after he had tried to kill her, even if he hadn’t been himself at the time. “Forrest, Coral, and Newt didn’t return from the village so Clara went after you. Beckett and I…” Emmeline paused. Beckett’s secrets weren’t exactly hers to share, so she skipped their conversation. “You attacked - all of you. We were scared, so Beckett and I ran. All of you cornered me eventually, and I thought I was going to die. Beckett leapt in front of me and…” Her voice failed her again and Emmeline simply stopped talking. She couldn’t tell them that Beckett had magic. What if part of the Rogues were still stuck inside them? 

“It was the puddles,” Clara mumbled. “You know all of the puddles Beckett jumped over? It was a trap - some of the puddles had some sort of trapping substance in them. It have the others time to find me and the Rogue took over my mind.” 

“Emmeline is hiding something,” Newt said, his voice low. “You can tell us, Echo. If Beckett doesn’t wake up you’ll need to tell us in order to save us.” 

“It’s nothing,” Emmeline repeated. It was just like her own secret - if the Rogues kept possessing her friends who could she trust. Only Beckett, obviously. Or could she even trust him? Emmeline shook with the strain of the decision. 

Maybe Beckett would wake up on his own. 

Or maybe the magic he had used drained him entirely and he’s dead, the tiny voice in Emmeline’s mind whispered. She pushed the thought away. 

“Emmeline,” Newt repeated, voice firm. “Please. Beckett needs to wake, we need to go. What are you hiding?” 

“I’m not hiding anything,” Emmeline lied. She hoped that it would throw the others off of her back. But Newt was not deterred by her lie. He crossed his arms, frowning at her. Emmeline had never seen him like this before. 

“You’re endangering the quest,” Newt told her. Coral and Forrest wisely remained quiet, but Emmeline could tell they were siding with Newt. Even Clara sent a longing glance in the direction of sleeping Beckett. “You told him your secret, didn’t you.” It wasn’t a question. “Emmeline, what happened?” 

“Nothing!” Emmeline cried out, getting to her feet. Her legs felt weak and unsteady, but she stumbled away. 

Newt got to his feet as well, coming after her. “Emmeline, we need to help Beckett so we can continue the quest.” Emmeline shook her head, panic rising in her chest. She was beginning to think Baelle hadn’t left yet. 

“Emmeline, come back!” Newt cried as Emmeline started to walk away. Her walk broke into a run as Newt’s footsteps followed her. 

“Stop, just stop!” Emmeline told him. “I’m just trying to protect you.” 

“I don’t need protection,” Newt argued. He was close - too close. Emmeline’s breath came quicker as Newt caught up to her. She knew she couldn’t run, so she stood tall and pretending to be confident. But her knees shook as Newt circled her until he was facing her. 

“You’re scared of me.” The realization hit him and Newt’s eyes grew wide. “You think Baelle still has control of me.” 

Emmeline didn’t respond. She didn’t move. She barely let herself breathe. 

“I’ve been purged,” Newt told her. “Whatever you and Beckett did to us, we’re all fine. No more Rogues, I don’t think they can get to us anymore.” 

“I can’t trust anyone,” Emmeline whispered, her voice hurt. She didn’t want to endanger Newt or the others. Maybe it was best if her and Beckett set off alone. The others could head back to the Sprite Hunter’s Cave or something. They could have the safety Emmeline would never be guaranteed. 

“You can trust me.”

“I can’t trust anyone. The Rogues could possess any of you, they could kill you if they wanted.” 

“Emmeline,” Newt said, his voice tender and soft. Emmeline looked up to see his expression had morphed into one so soft that she thought for a second maybe Clara had replaced him. There was no humor in his tone. 

“Newt, I need to take Beckett and go on alone,” Emmeline said, her own voice firm. “There’s no logic in putting the rest of you in danger, and…” 

“And you can’t trust us,” Newt finished, sighing bitterly. 

“That’s right,” Emmeline nodded. 

“I can show you that you can trust me,” Newt said defiantly, squaring his shoulders. “I can show you that I’m back to myself.” 

Emmeline stayed frozen like a statue. 

“Close your eyes,” Newt ordered. “Keep them shut.” 

Emmeline obliged, but she could feel her heart skipping wildly in her chest. Was this where Newt would pull out a knife and stab her in the stomach? Or cut off her head? Or… 

Something soft pressed against her lips. Emmeline’s lips parted in surprised as she felt Newt’s warm body against hers. Something fiery spread through her as they kissed and then she stepped backwards, feeling her lips with her fingers. 

Newt was standing not far away, blushing furiously, fiddling with his thumbs. 

Emmeline felt her own face burning as she met his eyes. She was at a loss for words - she had always thought of Newt as a friend. A close friend. An extremely good friend. 

“I…” Emmeline began to stutter, but she was saved an answer as Coral burst into the small grove of trees. 

“You have to come see this,” she panted. “Beckett is a awake.” 


The younger boy was indeed awake when Newt, Emmeline, and Coral finally wove their way back to the makeshift camp. 

Beckett was propped ip against a tree, his face pale but his eyes open. Clara was sitting next to him, Forrest a few feet away. Emmeline kneeled right in front of Beckett and the corners of his mouth twisted upwards. 

“Hey, you’re alive,” Beckett rasped. Clara handed him a small canteen and he took a swig, clearing his throat. 

“It’s good to see you awake,” Emmeline told him, patting his knee gently as she sat on the bed of pine needles. She sent him a look that she hoped would convey her question about his secret. Beckett didn’t seem to notice. 

“Same with you,” Beckett smiled at her. “I was wondering if maybe I died.” 

No one could really think of anything to respond to that, so the only sounds were ones of the forest for a moment. 

“Well, none of us are dead or possessed, I think we managed to live through this one,” Newt said at last, breaking into a smile of his own. “But maybe we should take a break from life threatening endeavors.” 

“If you say so,” Beckett said, tracing a fake tear down his cheek. 

“I thought you were dead!” Clara told him, frowning. “I sat with you, my hand on yours for forever hoping my Blessing would heal you. That’s no joking matter!” 

“I’m sorry?” Beckett raised an eyebrow at Clara’s outburst. “So, did Emmeline explain everything?” He glanced at her expectantly, but Emmeline shook her head slightly so only Beckett could see it. 

Newt elbowed Emmeline, clearing his throat. “Why don’t you explain what happened that last part, I told them everything else.” 

Beckett seemed to get Emmeline’s message about not telling the others about his magic yet. He thought for a moment before saying,”we can trust them, Emmeline.” 

Well, if Beckett thought it was okay, Emmeline guessed it was okay if he told them. 

“When I was asleep in the Temple of Purity there were these people who floated around me. They told me about powers and magic and things I didn’t understand.” Beckett wrung his hands in his lap as he spoke. “Long story short, my heritage gives me this… this magic of sorts. And my magic is born of necessity, so to spare all of this, I guess my magic protected me before purging all of you of the Rogues.” 

Beckett’s explanation made sense for the most part, but Emmeline wasn’t sure about his reasoning. His magic just happened to help him whenever? Then why didn’t it rescue from the guard camp? Maybe it sensed Emmeline and the others coming to rescue him. 

Emmeline wasn’t entirely sure, and she was skeptical of Beckett’s mysterious power. They would have to ask Ibenily later on. 

“Well, if everyone is alive, I guess we best get going,” Newt decided, brushing off his trousers as he got to his feet. He helped Emmeline up too, his palm slick as he held her tightly. Emmeline felt heat rising to her cheeks by the touch, so she broke away quickly. 

“That’s not all though,” Clara said, her eyes widening. “Show the, Beck.” 

Beckett raised his arms into the sunlight and Emmeline gasped. 

Spirals of green trailed down his right arm and spirals of silver swirled down his left arm. Both spirals ended on his palms where a pale spot of the colors was displayed. Clara elbowed him, a broad grin on her face. “Show them the special part.” 

Beckett closed his eyes, squeezing them tight. 

The spirals began to glow with eerie dim light as it spread downwards from his shoulders down towards his palms. Emmeline changed her mind - they weren’t spirals. They were more like veins, but they were only on his arms. 

The spots in the center of Beckett’s palms began to glow with the same dim light, flickering like tiny flames. 

Beckett’s eyes opened and he beamed at Emmeline. “Magic,” he breathed. 



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on July 9, 2020
Last Updated on July 9, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, adventure, fantasy, death, prophecy, fortune teller, magic, mythology


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.