The Reader - Chapter 18

The Reader - Chapter 18

A Chapter by A.L.

Chapter 18

Wiley was extremely proud of Emmeline’s progress to say the least. Despite her lacking lessons she was really improving and could now Read the majority of the symbols without help. Wiley moved her onto tracing the symbols onto new fake arms and Beckett was in charge of choosing the life she had to create. 

When Emmeline was busy Writing out Beckett’s chosen life for the arms and the backs, the prince improved his magical abilities with Wiley’s help. 

Beckett learned to channel his emotions into energy that he could use. 

After Emmeline had successfully Written ten arms in a row, Wiley brought her to the front of his makeshift classroom for a special talk. Beckett remained in the corner using his magic to knock over towers of blocks. Emmeline had shared Clara’s theories with Beckett (he didn’t really care) and the younger girl had run to find the others for the same reason. 

“Emmeline, I must say, I am impressed,” Wiley praised. “It took me years to master what you have accomplished. Today’s lesson is over, but tomorrow we will discuss some more of what lies ahead.” 

“Thank you,” Emmeline smiled. “It must get boring being dead,” she thought out loud. “I mean, you know you can’t die again and you’ll be stuck in that form forever.”

Wiley shrugged. “There is a way that ghosts can die again, but I won’t speak of it and you needn’t worry. It’s highly unlikely that the process will work and the information is extremely classified.” 

With that, Wiley vanished into thin air. Emmeline sighed, knowing he was right. Who would want to kill a ghost anyways? It seemed like a waste of time to her. 

“Beckett!” Emmeline called. The boy trotted to her side like a dog. “I’m going out on an adventure. Want to come?” Beckett nodded excitedly and Emmeline smothered a laugh. She had no idea where she would go until nightfall, but she wanted to avoid the others and any possible risk of Marlene’s execution conversations. 

They made their way into the streets, Beckett waving at numerous people. It still surprised Emmeline how many villagers could fit into the tiny town. Not to mention the fact that no one in the Kingdoms seemed to miss them enough to find them. 

“So, where exactly are we going?” Beckett asked. 

Emmeline shrugged. “I don’t know. I didn’t really have anywhere in mind. Is there anything you want to do? Spend some quality bonding time together.” 

“First of all: gross,” Beckett said in disgust. “When you say it like that it makes it sound … weird. And two, I know just the place - and just what to do. I’ve been wanting to talk to you about something but couldn’t find the time.” 

“Sounds great,” Emmeline lied, suddenly dreading her decision to bring Beckett along. 

He took her up a road that Emmeline had never seen before. The path was overgrown with weeds and obviously not travelled. 

“I found this place while ditching lessons,” Beckett explained. 

“You need to train,” Emmeline sighed. If Beckett wasn’t going to try to protect himself she would be fighting a losing battle trying to keep him alive.”What if we’re in battle? You and I both need to know how to wield a sword or weapon of some sort.” 

“I have magic,” Beckett argued, rubbing the stripes on his arms absentmindedly. 

“What if it fails?” Emmeline asked him. Beckett shrugged. “I’m going to need someone to protect me as well.” 

“That’s Newt’s job,” Beckett said, jumping over a large weed. “You’ll be fine. And my magic won’t fail. Now shush, we’re almost there.” Emmeline tried to speak but Beckett hushed her. Emmeline sighed, rolling her eyes. 

She followed the small boy around a corner and through a clump of bushes. Finally, they emerged outside of the town in front of a very tiny lake, the water glowing eerily with silvery light. “What is this place?” Emmeline breathed, feeling overwhelmed by the beauty but also cautious. What if it was dangerous? 

Beckett shrugged, taking a seat on the dirt that rimmed the pool. He patted the ground next to him, welcoming Emmeline to take a seat. 

“So, what did you want to talk about?” Emmeline asked him in a hushed voice. She hoped it wasn’t something about her Reading again. Or about Writing. Or Newt and her - that would be terrible! 

“I’ve been thinking a lot about what happens when this is all over,” Beckett responded. His voice was serious for once. “When the war is either won, lost, or stopped and when Baelle and the Rogues are subdued - maybe killed.” 

“What do you mean?” Emmeline asked him. 

“When everything is all said and done, what will happen? Will we all be friends or will we be dead?” He shook his head as if the very thought was exhausting him. “I think I might want to find Dixral and ask her if I can say goodbye to my parents. Maybe I’ll settle down and find a family.” 

Emmeline had to admit that her thoughts had never strayed far enough from their current predicament to even consider the future. There wouldn’t be a future if they didn’t focus on the now. 

But because Beckett had mentioned it, Emmeline’s mind was a blur of thoughts and ideas. Would they remain friends? Would she go on to become queen or something crazy? She didn’t want to be queen. Emmeline sighed. “Right now we have to worry about the now rather than the future.” 

Beckett nodded. “I was just wondering. I mean, you didn’t Read far enough to see past the … you know … bloodshed?” 

“I saw a castle and I saw you learning about your powers, but nothing else. I don’t really want to Read you again …” Emmeline said quickly. 

“I don’t want you to Read me again. I know you don’t like the visions.” Beckett looked down at his lap after his interruption. Emmeline sensed sincerity in his words. “I was just wondering if maybe you could look at my markings to see...” his voice trailed off. 

Emmeline knew what Beckett meant. He wanted her to look at the symbols etched on his skin and he wanted her to make sense of them, see what his future held. 

But now that Emmeline thought about it, she had seen the castle and guards in the visions after her eyes. She had seen him harnessing his magic after he saw her. Which meant those things were yet to come. And the bloodshed… 

Emmeline had to Write the war away, and fast. Then find and kill Baelle if Clara’s theories were right. And find a way to keep the kingdoms from going to war over Beckett. 

Okay, so her bucket list was long. She had a lot of things to do - including answer Beckett. She didn’t want to say no in case it hurt his feelings, but Emmeline wasn’t sure how much she wanted to delve into Beckett’s secrets. It had helped unmask his magic, but it also made Emmeline uneasy with the visions of war.

“I guess I can take a look,” Emmeline said quietly. Her voice felt weak and empty, but Beckett nodded and began to take off his tunic. 

The undressing made Emmeline uncomfortable, but after growing up and Reading people day after day it became easier. Beckett’s markings on his back were the easiest to Read without the green and silver streaks. Emmeline tried to make sense of them, forcing her vision not to swim. She kept her hands behind her back just in case. 

Emmeline could make out small shapes amongst the dark markings. She saw chains and clouds pouring rain. She saw a heart with words in it - probably who he would love, but the words were so tiny that Emmeline’s couldn’t read them without getting too close. 

“I’m done,” Emmeline whispered at last, not bearing to look at the markings any longer. Beckett turned to her expectantly. “It’s so confusing. I saw chains - which means you’ll be imprisoned. A cloud with rain means a rough patch. The heart with words is your true love but I couldn’t read it.” 

Beckett nodded solemnly. “Thanks, Echo,” he said, voice soft. “I’m glad you even tried. You’re getting stronger.” 

Emmeline smiled at him and Beckett opened his mouth to say something when something rustled behind him. The boy whipped a knife out of his shoe, holding it in front of him, veins pulsing with mysterious light. Emmeline was weaponless but she raised her hands in a fighting stance. 

A familiar freckled face burst into the clearing, panting heavily. “Come quick!” Clara panted. “Forrest and Coral are burning to tell something and I don’t want to wait.” 


Beckett refused to leave the side of the water, although he did pull on a shirt. Clara blushed but went to find Forrest, Coral, and Newt because she thought the water was better for a deep conversation. 

Soon enough, the three others appeared with Clara. Forrest was clutching the hilt of his sword tightly. It seemed that he never parted with the blade these days. 

Coral focused on the water, making small waves that lapped up against the shore. Emmeline kept her feet out of reach of the water until Beckett strode in. The water had no effect on him so Emmeline wiggled her toes in the coolness. Newt sat besides her, splashing her with his own feet playfully. 

“So, Forrest and I have some news,” Coral began after a long while of silence. Emmeline was on the edge of her seat with anticipation. 

“You’re getting together as a couple?” Clara blurted in excitement. 

“You’re breaking up!” Beckett gasped in even more glee. Emmeline and Newt laughed. Forrest and Coral did not. 

“Forrest and I, well, we decided we’re going to leave,” Coral said at last. Her voice was almost inaudible. “I made a mistake swearing his safety on my Blessing. But we’ve gotten you this far, Emmeline, and I hope this doesn’t sound rude. But it’s not safe being around you. Tomorrow after Marlene’s execution we are going to leave for Nelith. Maybe we can sail into a new world or something.” 

“That’s insane!” Newt burst in anger. 

“There’s no other worlds,” Clara argued.
It was Emmeline who said, “I understand.” Coral nodded thankfully, her eyes shining with tears. 

“Are you seriously taking Baelle’s words to heart?” Beckett asked her. 

“No,” Coral said firmly. “I’m taking precautions. Although it was my pleasure to be on this journey with you, it’s time for Forrest and I to leave. His Cure and my possibility of losing my Blessing will drag you down. It will drag us down to be with you.” 

Emmeline nodded, but she had a sinking feeling that Coral was just trying to stay away from her. Not that she didn’t have a good reason too, everywhere Emmeline went she brought danger with her. 

“Please don’t go,” Clara begged. 

“We’ve already made the decision,” Coral said, her voice strong. Emmeline knew that inside the girl was breaking down. 

“Forrest hasn’t said anything,” Clara noted, her voice cracking. 

“I want to stay, but I need to leave,” Forrest responded quietly. “I am a danger to all of you and I agree with Coral. It was a pleasure to serve you and adventure with you, but the time has come for us to seperate. For your sake and for ours, I hope we won’t meet again.” 

Newt was silent and Clara clutched Beckett for support. “We leave tomorrow,” Coral repeated. “We say our goodbyes then. I hope you’ll forgive us.” 

There was no sound except for the lapping of the waves on the shore and the soft sobs of Clara. Emmeline wasn’t sure what to think. Forrest and Coral were leaving. They were really, truly planning on ditching Emmeline. 

It felt wrong to be this far into their journey and still leaving friends behind. But Emmeline knew Coral had already made the choice. There was no turning back. 

The conversation she had overheard from Forrest and Coral the night she had woken up for a snack was probably about their choice. It made sense now, and Emmeline silently cursed for being so oblivious. How could she have not seen it? 

No one spoke, but finally Beckett stood (he had pulled his tunic back on, thankfully) and placed his hands on his hips. “If no one is going to say it, I will. You’re making a stupid choice that I highly disagree with.” 

Forrest nodded silently, his eyes welling with tears. Coral said nothing, she stared at her feet. Beckett humphed before turning on his heels and running away. 

His feet slapped against the round and Clara began to cry louder, not even bothering to wipe the tears off. Emmeline felt her emotions climbin her throat and begging to be let out. She clamped her mouth shut. 

“I’m sorry,” Coral whispered like the words would make it better. 

Emmeline fled. She didn’t want anyone to see her cry. She ran as fast as she could, cloak floating in the air behind her. Her boots hit the ground hard as she ran, Newt calling after her. 

Her entire world was falling apart and all the hope she had just gathered was failing.

She needed some good news. News she would not be receiving.


“We gather here today to witness justice being brought to our people,” Scarlet called out to the crowd that had gathered especially for Marlene’s execution. “Marlene has attempted to murder our fellow villager, Emmeline. Therefore, the Elders have sentenced her to death.” 

Emmeline pressed her lips together in a tight line, her fingers interlaced with Newt’s because without them she would be no more than a lump on the ground. 

Marlene was standing on the wooden stage that had been placed in the center of the main street. Tears rolled down her face as her hands grabbed at the flimsy robe she had been given. No one wanted to strip a dead person so Marlene had been given clothing that no one would want or need. 

Scarlet and the other Elders didn’t seem affected by the execution. Each one wore their normal robes, the material far richer than the fabric used for Marlene’s. 

Emmeline had been forced to dress up for the occasion. Her dark colored dress seemed to be the only one fitting for the execution. Beckett and Clara had stayed back at the house per request of Lena. But Emmeline knew that if all of her Readings were right then Beckett and Clara would face plenty of bloodshed. 

Violet wasn’t present either, but Titus was standing directly in front of the stage. His fingers were clenched, flames licking up from the sides of his fists. 

“Justice will be served,” Scarlet droned on. “Due to Emmeline’s near murder being from poison, we have decided it right to perform the execution from poison as well.” She held up a small flask of red liquid. 

Marlene stood still even though she had every opportunity to run. Emmeline admired the girl’s bravery, she only wished Marlene had been brave enough to stand up for herself at the trial. Scarlet handed the flask to Marlene but did not uncap it. Marlene nearly dropped the bottle but kept a grip on it. 

“This is to show what happens to rulebreakers in our village, as well as traitors. May Marlene’s death be a warning to all of you.” The woman turned to the girl. Marlene gulped. “Bottom’s up, dear.” 

Marlene’s hands shook as she uncapped the bottle. A drip of liquid spilled onto the stage, disappearing with a sizzling hiss. She inhaled deeply and another tear leaked down her face. Marlene tipped the bottle so its contents poured down her throat. She dropped the flask and it shattered loudly on the ground. 

Next came the screams. The wails were so loud Emmeline was sure the kingdoms would hear them and come running. Over and over, Marlene stated her innocence. She pleaded for mercy. Titus’s shouts joined the mix until he was subdued by several of the villagers. 

Emmeline forced herself to look away. She buried her face into Newt’s shoulder, trying to block out the pitiful cries. There were sounds of flesh hitting wood - Marlene must have been writhing on the ground. “Make it stop,” the girl screamed. “Please!” Emmeline had to keep herself from crying out. If she showed any sign of resistance she would be the next one on the podium. 

Finally, the screams silenced. Emmeline kept her face shoved into Newt’s arm. She worried that if she let go of him that the guilt would pull her away and force her into her own prison. 

“We have to go,” Emmeline whispered into Newt’s tunic. “I don’t want to be here any more.” 

Newt nodded, and he began to shepard her towards the exit of the street. Emmeline didn’t even resist, she let Newt push her through the crowds. Marlene’s screams echoed around her brain and Emmeline wished that Titus had stood up for her or something. 

No one seemed to notice their absence immediately, so Newt led Emmeline down one of the back alleys used as a garden. They emerged into the original ruins of the town. 

Newt drug her down the streets until they found a private yet well protected porch to sit on. Emmeline wasn’t crying at all, but her body shook from guilt and emotions. She kept her tight grip on Newt’s arm as he stroked her hair soothingly. 

“It’s fine,” he whispered. “We’re alive. We’re alive.” He kept repeating reassuring words to her, but it didn’t make Emmeline feel any better. 

“It was all my fault,” Emmeline cried at last. 

Newt pushed his finger against her lips, forcing her to be quiet. “Stop that right now, Em.” There was the nickname again. “It is not your fault. It is entirely the Elders fault - they didn’t have to condemn her like that. Maybe being a tree takes away your compassion. But it is definitely not because of you. If you think that it’ll just cause more problems. So stop thinking. Turn off those bad thoughts and think good ones.” 

Emmeline nodded, though she had no idea what kind of “thoughts” Newt was talking about. Her entire life was pretty much a bad memory. 

“I don’t have any good memories,” she told him. Newt snorted. 

“Oh, so growing up together didn’t count? Or having fun with Beckett, Clara, Forrest, and Coral? I mean, if being alone in the dark with Titus made a good memory, by all means think of that,” he laughed. 

“Eww, no,” Emmeline protested, blushing. 

“What about my lips on yours -” 

“Newt, I swear I might just kill you!” Emmeline said, flustered and embarrassed. 

“Hey, what did I do? I’ve been nice to you - except for when I was Baelle’s puppet, but I thought that was behind us.” Newt sighed. 

“You’re right,” Emmeline admitted, not sure where these words were coming from. Her body was pretty much on autopilot now. “You’re too good for me. I’m always awful to you and you’re always so nice to me. Go find someone that’ll actually kiss you and be happy about it.” 

Newt’s brow wrinkled. “Wow, you actually believe that, don’t you?” He sighed. “Emmeline, I would never trade you for a girl who would willingly kiss me. And besides, you being a moody little girl is part of the challenge.” 

“What, I’m a quest now?” Emmeline asked with a lugh, pretending to be offended. Really, she was beginning to feel better. Newt’s words had lifted her off of the rock floor and put her back on her feet, maybe even dusting her off a little bit. No one had ever said something like that before. 

Suddenly, Emmeline felt a wave of emotion crash down on her. What if Titus and Marlene had been a … a thing? “We’re supposed to be mourning,” she told Newt. She forced a frown onto her face with much difficulty. 

“Trust me, the sooner we forget this terrible day, the better. And the smile is a better look for you,” he smiled down at her and Emmeline felt flooded with warmth. 

“Thanks - for everything,” Emmeline whispered. “You’re like an anchor for me.” 

“That’s what I’m here for,” Newt told her, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her to her feet. “Let’s go, lunch is getting cold and I need food before the last goodbyes.” 

“And you call me hungry!” Emmeline scolded with a laugh. It felt good to laugh.



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on July 25, 2020
Last Updated on July 25, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, adventure, fantasy, death, prophecy, fortune teller, magic, mythology


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.