Wings of Paper - Chapter 15

Wings of Paper - Chapter 15

A Chapter by A.L.
"

The Nymph and the Sword

"

The air was sweltering and I was sure my face was going to melt off. The tunnel was illuminated by tiny glowing worms that lined the ceiling. It wasn’t much light, but it was enough for me to see. 

Alex was right behind me, her sword drawn like she expected attack. I was sure we would be safe - nothing could live in a volcano anyways, not easily at least. 

Besides, we just needed to make the sword and leave. And defeat Dee. And stop the Darkness. Okay, so I had a lot on my bucket list. But it was the only thing I could do to prevent my friends from dying. 

“So, how exactly do you plan on forging a sword? Have you ever even worked with metal before?” Alex asked me. 

I shrugged. “I took a workshop class a few years ago. It can’t be that hard.” 

I was lying to myself. I had no idea how to forge a sword. And I had taken a workshop class, but it was mostly wood and even then I almost failed it because my skills with the machines were terrible. 

Alex didn’t question it, but I knew she could tell I was feigning confidence. 

The tunnel ended abruptly, leading to a large ring of stone ledges overlooking the inner circle of the volcano. The ledges were about four feet wide at the largest, one wrong step would send us plummeting into the white lava below. 

The top of the volcano was open to the sky. Dark mixtures of navy and violet churned together above us, stars dotting the sky like freckles. It was night already, and the volcano was drawing power from the stars. The lava bubbled below us, actually rising up. It stopped at the edge of the ledges, about two inches below. 

Alex pulled me back. “Why is it rising?” 

I pointed upwards. “It’s drawing energy from the stars. It’s at its most powerful now.” 

“So you should forge the sword right now,” Alex said. It wasn’t a question, it was an order. An order I would obey. 

Maybe I couldn’t forge a sword, but that didn’t mean that my imagination couldn’t. 

I pictured a large stone piercing the lava and I heard crackling. I opened my eyes and found some of the lava solidifying into a crystal pathway. The path led to the center of the volcano where a small table was forming. On the table was a blade whiter than snow. 

“This seems like a trap,” Alex muttered, her eyes flitting around the cramped space. I glanced downwards over the edge of the path. The lava bubbled and popped, it could still kill me. Alex was right - this was far too easy. I could simply walk over, grab the sword, and leave. Unless the challenge was getting here alive. 

“We don’t have a choice,” I said. It was more of a statement for me, but Alex nodded along. “I don’t think the volcano wants me dead.” 

“A volcano can’t have feelings,” Alex argued. 

“No, but a nymph can,” I said, remembering the creature I had created by accident. I made a lot of things by accident apparently. 

A figure formed in the lava, rising higher as she stepped onto the pathway. Alex took a step backwards behind me, grabbing my wrist. I didn’t move away, I bent down on one knee before the figure. 

Stella was a nymph I had created for Ayra’s story - she was supposed to be the source of a strong fire for Arya’s dragon. But I forgot she existed. 

“Creator,” Stella purred as she bowed her head in recognition. I was surprised she knew who I was, but then again, I had created her to be intuitive beyond all others. “I am shocked to meet you, though it is a pleasant surprise.” 

Long, gorgeous locks flowed from her head, the color of the starlight that streamed into the volcano. She was taller than me, maybe seven foot. She wore a blindingly white dress with tiny pearls sewn into the fabric. Her skin was deathly pale, her eyes a dangerous light blue. Her lips pressed into a line as she took in Alex behind me. “An accomplice, I see.” 

“Stella, this is Alex,” I said, wondering if a formal introduction would help my case. I sent a frantic look towards the sword, hoping Stella would catch it and decide to give me the blade. No such luck. 

“You know what’s happening in the world?” Stella asked me. “The winds whisper dark secrets to me, but they are quite the gossips, I’m afraid. Not quite truth tellers, I’m afraid.” 

I hesitated. Stella was intelligent too, and I worried that if I spoke wrong she would punish me for it. Nymphs weren’t known for their kindness in my world, and Stella was no exception. Nymphs weren’t kind, natural beings here - they were representatives of power. They weren’t to be trifled with. 

Alex didn’t share the same fear apparently because she began to speak loudly. “Have you not heard about the Darkness? It’s kind of a big deal…” 

She was going to get us killed. Stella narrowed her eyes and I sent Alex a look. She sent me a look right back, telling me she was handling this. I didn’t believe her but I figured I would at least let her try. Worse case I would just imagine Stella as dead and we would take the sword - though I wasn’t eager to kill a nymph. The power released would be unimaginable… 

“Do you have any idea who you are speaking to, foolish girl?” Stella asked, her eyes flitting across Alex, taking her in. 

“Probably someone powerful if you’re guarding a sword,” Alex answered. “But you didn’t answer my question. Have you heard about the Darkness or not?” She crossed her arms, pretending to be impatient. 

“I have heard of it,” Stella grumbled. “But I have not heard what it is or even if it exists in the first place. Would you care to fill me in?” 

“A powerful being such as yourself should be able to figure it out,” Alex retorted. 

“I would gain the knowledge if my lava consumed you,” Stella offered. “And there would be the added bonus of your silence.” 

My heart picked up speed. What was Alex doing? Was she trying to die? 

“The Darkness is real,” Alex explained. “It’s a force that destroys everything it touches. I know all about it.” 

“All?” Stella asked, her interest piqued. “That’s impossible. Only a truly powerful being could know all… unless…” She gasped and Alex gained a smug look. “No, impossible. It couldn’t be.” 

I had no idea what Alex was playing at. She was just a girl, not powerful at all in this world. Stella could crush her, destroy her, literally consume her essence. 

“Have you heard of a girl called Kenzie?” Alex asked. 

Stella nodded. “The heroine from Atlantia? Of course I have heard of her. I’ve seen her too, the lava shows me images from the present - or it used to. Come to think of it, she does look like you.” 

“Because I am a Muse,” Alex lied. “Kenzie - along with a few others - are my chosen children. They bear parts of my gifts and spread my greatness throughout the land.” 

Stella snorted. “You may look alike but I find it hard to believe that you’re a Muse as you call it. Anyone could know the simple facts you stated if they went outside long enough. Prove your power and you can have the sword.” 

It sounded easy except Alex didn’t have any powers. This was my world, not hers. 

“Um, Alex,” I began. I wanted to let her know this was a terrible idea. If Stella discovered the lie she would kill both of us. 

“I got this,” Alex whispered to me. She turned to Stella. “Kenzie inherited my gift for mind magic. I have a gift known as telepathy - I can read thoughts, send thoughts, and control minds. Would you like to see this gift in action?” 

She turned to me, her blue eyes meeting mine. Trust me, they said. Please

I couldn’t endanger our mission, and Alex had led me through the Darkness already. I had to trust that she would keep me safe. She placed her hands on my shoulders, her grip tight as her hands shook. 

Luke? Can you hear me? Her voice was entirely in my mind. I startled at the voice. She tightened her grip, forcing me still. I nodded subtly. I picked up some of Kenzie’s magic earlier, it kind of just bolted into me. I can only send thoughts, so I need you to clear your mind. You will be under my control. It will be over soon

I felt a cold feeling wash over me and my body was racked with shivers. 

It will all be over soon. Bitter wind crept into my mind, wrapping around my brain and seeping into the cracks. My own consciousness receded into a tiny corner of my mind and a new force took over. 

“I’m waiting,” Stella reminded us. 

My knees buckled as Alex struggled for control over my mind. I didn’t want her to have it. But I knew Stella would kill us if I didn’t comply. I surrendered my mind to Alex. 

My legs and arms moved without my permission, my body numb with an odd coldness. I saluted Alex, my knees locking. Then I was forced into a bow. Stella seemed amused, her laughter rippled through the cavern. 

“Do something interesting,” Stella ordered. “He could be faking. Do something the Creator would never do.” 

That was a challenge, and Alex knew it. I tried to battle her again, to regain control so I could do something on my own accord. But Alex fought me back, locking me into my cage to stay away. 

“A Creator would never destroy,” Alex decided. She sent me a pitying look. “Not his world. But also not himself.” 

I hope you’ll forgive me, but you need to trust me

I didn’t trust her, not as Alex made my limbs ram me into a wall. Pain shot through my bones, washing in waves over my head. I felt blood drip from a dozen various scratches. Again and again, the agony struck like white lightning. Alex was breathing heavily and I finally dropped to the floor. Her hold on my mind relinquished, leaving me with the fiery pain. 

“Very good,” Stella mumbled to herself. “You truly are a Muse, my dear.” 

“Heal him,” Alex demanded, her voice shaking. I couldn’t move but Stella’s form grew larger and larger, forcing Alex to back away. Alex took a step back, ready to retaliate. Except Stella wrapped her hand around my body. The molten lava poured around my body, but instead of burning me it seeped into my skin, closing the scratches and leaving me feeling energized. 

Alex ran to me, wrapping me in a hug as Stella shrunk away. 

“The sword is yours,” Stella announced as Alex helped me to my feet. The nymph disappeared into the lava and the white liquid lowered, sinking back into the volcano. 

I didn’t speak. Alex’s actions were terrible - she had forced me to slam myself into a wall in order to win Stella’s belief that she was a Muse. I was sure I could have convinced her otherwise, but Alex had taken charge of the situation. What if she had killed me? 

I stood without her, taking measured steps as I made my way across the bridge to the sword. Alex followed behind me, trying to get me to look at her. She wanted to talk. 

I didn’t want to look at her or her deceitful form again. She wasn’t in control of this situation and she pretended she like was. What did she not understand about the Darkness - it was my problem. 

“Luke,” Alex whispered. I ignored her, my fingers wrapping around the hilt of the sword. I lifted it off the platform and it molded to fit my hand. The weight was perfect, balanced even. The blade was white as snow, pure as an innocent child. A sheath appeared at my waist, the leather a soft kind. 

I placed the sword in the holder. It felt natural, like the weight had always been there. 

Alex tapped my shoulder. I spun to face her, but she wasn’t looking in my direction. She was looking up at the cavern walls. I was shaking with rage. 

No, the volcano was shaking. I glanced downwards to see the lava rising quickly, Stella’s maniacal laugh echoing from below. So maybe I was being a little irrational … 

The bridge crumbled, leaving Alex and I stranded on the tiny island. The rocky pieces splashed to the rising lava, sending a spray of mist upwards. Alex stepped closer to me, though she seemed afraid. Maybe I had been too harsh on her after all. 

“You cannot lie to me,” Stella said, her voice shrill. “And those who attempt to will face consequences.” 

Obviously Stella didn’t appreciate Alex’s story. 

The whole cavern was shaking and the temperature was rising almost as quickly as the lava. There was no way we would escape in time. The only exit was up and we wouldn’t be able to make it. 

Unless… 

I closed my eyes and remembered the wings I had formed while in the Darkness. I could feel their feathery, white forms growing on my shoulders. I opened my eyes and the wings flapped once, twice, faster and faster until I was lifted off the ground. 

Alex watched me in awe - or maybe it was horror. She began to leap upwards, grabbing for my feet. “Luke, don’t leave me!” 

I couldn’t leave her. The volcano was affecting me somehow, changing my thoughts. Alex would die if I didn’t help her. But these wings were barely supporting me as it was. The lack of concentration made me drop a foot. No, Alex needed to make her own way to escape. 

“Imagine something,” I told her. “Picture a solution clearly in your mind.” 

Alex closed her eyes, sweat beading on her brow. “I can’t!” she called out. “Luke, just grab me!” 

“The wings won’t hold you,” I argued. 

Alex closed her eyes again, but opened them quickly. Her movements were frantic as she raked her fingers through her hair. “This is your world, I can’t change anything!”

It seemed logical enough, but I wasn’t sure how I was supposed to remedy that. “Alex,” I sighed. “I give you permission to alter anything in this world. Now you have to change something.” 

“Change what?!” 

“Something random.” 

Alex closed her eyes a third time, her body shuddered before becoming still. “I think I did it,” she mumbled. Suddenly, feathery wings sprouted from her shoulders. They were identical to mine. 

I forced the wings to work harder, pumping faster to keep me in the air. I landed on the top of the volcano, rocks tumbling beneath my feet. My wings collapsed inwards, disappearing immediately. Alex was still fluttering higher, kicking her feet in extra effort to gather height. But her imagination wasn’t as strong as mine. Without my wings to look at, her own were fading quickly. 

There was a soft plink as Alex’s wings popped out of existence. My body acted without me. My hand shot out, grabbing her wrist and holding her tight. Alex was screaming. My muscles were screaming. 

My palm was sweaty, slick with moisture from the warmth of the volcano. The sword at my side buzzed with energy. 

“Luke, just drop me,” Alex begged. “Go defeat Dee without me!” 

“I’m not leaving you,” I argued. “You don’t have to be here.” 

Alex was gritting her teeth too hard to respond. My muscles were screaming in agreement to Alex. I couldn’t hold on. 

“I’m sorry,” I gasped as her hand slipped out of mine. 

Alex plummeted into the depths of the volcano. 



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

43 Views
Added on September 7, 2020
Last Updated on September 7, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, fantasy, adventure, fiction, quest, darkness, heroes, castle, kingdom, imagination, doubt, confidence


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.