Wings of Paper

Wings of Paper

A Chapter by A.L.
"

The Princess Problem

"

Just a quick side note - even though Alex had been helping me improve my sword fighting skills, I still wasn’t the best at using a weapon and, well, things went south. Fast

I wasn’t expecting every Dark Warrior to come bounding around the corner at once. I don’t really know what I was thinking, but every single cell in my body screamed for me to run away. Which I did. 

“Luke!” Alex shouted as she swung her sword towards one of the Dark Warriors. 

“Right, sorry!” I called back. But I didn’t need to return to where the others were, two of the Dark Warriors had pursued me. One was a man, a little on the heavy side. The other was a fierce looking young woman with rippling muscles. 

I dove out of the way just as the man chucked a knife at my head. He snarled at me, dark skin glistening with sweat. 

I swung my sword at the man’s ankles but the woman kicked me in the stomach and sent me rolling away before I could get a strike in. I cursed under my breath as fire erupted in my torso but I kept my mind focused in. 

The woman lunged for me with her two short sword extended. I barely managed to avoid the blades, which glistened with dark light. 

The man drew another knife and I saw him poise to throw out of the corner of my eye. Deciding it was now or never, I risked a trick that Alex had taught me. Just as the woman stabbed with her sword I spun away, extending my own blade. It plunged itself into the man’s stomach. Instead of him turning to Darkness he actually turned to a bright white light. 

The woman made a screeching sound like a bat and backed away from me. I advanced on her, taking advantage of her hesitation. 

The woman attacked with vengeance once she overcame her fear of my blade. Obviously she wasn’t phased by the idea of death - Dee had already killed her. She swung her blade wildly, and though she hit me it was with the flat of the blade instead of the edge. 

The force knocked the breath out of my lungs and sent me sprawling to the ground. Before I could get to my feet, the woman leapt on me. I thrashed wildly, trying to throw her off. 

She raised her sword to stab it through my chest but I brought my knees up against her back and threw her off of me. The woman rolled away with a yelp and I grabbed for my sword. It seemed to fly straight to my palm and I was on my feet again. 

The woman and I circled each other for a few moments before I realized she had a distinct pattern to fighting. She stepped forward with her left foot before attacking wide and backwards with her right before stabbing. I managed to block her attacks relatively easily from that point onwards. Soon I was on offense. 

She certainly put up a fight, our blades clashing with every strike. But she was tiring more quickly than I, for the last weeks I had been building up my endurance. 

Her blows grew weaker and her blocks slower until I finally managed to slice open her shoulder. Light seeped through the wound, burning her from the inside out. I didn’t watch to see if she stayed dead and ran to help the others. 

They needed my help. 

Alex was locked into battle with two brutish women twice her size, though she was holding her own. Kenzie was standing beside Sammy, both of them attacking wildly and with techniques and flourishes I had never seen before. 

Sadie, however, was in conversation with one of the Dark Warriors. I realized he was the leader of the group. So why was Sadie talking to him? 

She had a confused expression and I realized Sadie was suffering from another memory loss, courtesy of Dee and the Darkness. The Dark Warrior was probably swaying her to join his side. 

“Sadie!” I screamed. She turned toward me, eyebrows knitting together. 

The Dark Warrior said something and Sadie threw herself at me, two swords from fallen Dark Warriors in her hands. 

“Sadie, it’s me, Luke!” I tried, but the girl was relentless. 

Fortunately she was smaller and therefore weaker. But that also meant she was harder to hit, which I suppose was a good thing because I couldn’t injure her without consequence. 

I just had no idea how I was supposed to get her back on our side. 

Her hair was turning burnette now, and decided the best thing to do would be to make her see who I was before the Darkness took over. 

Looking back on it, I was probably being an idiot. But somehow I had the genius idea to let Sadie almost kill me. Of course, I couldn’t simply give up or it would look suspicious. But maybe if Sadie tried to kill me her memories would return. 

I had to hold out hope. 

So when Sadie feinted to the left and rushed to attack me I pretended to be out of breath and barely dodge the attack. I don’t know if she bought it or not but Sadie smirked and pressed harder. She already felt better with the blade, but I didn’t pay attention to her skill. I made myself look like I was wearing out and I maneuvered myself so the flat of the blade hit me in the stomach. 

I dropped to the ground and pretended to be in pain, which wasn’t harder because the swing had hurt more than expected. 

It only then occurred to me that Sadie might not think before delivering the final blow. If the Dark Warrior leader dude had poisoned her mind there was a chance that she wouldn’t hesitate to kill me. 

It was too late now and Sadie advanced on me, her swords drawn. She didn’t look remotely sorry or even like she recognized me at all. 

Just as she was about to bring the swords down Sammy called her name. I took my chance and rolled away before Sadie could turn her attention back to me. My plan was failed, and I had more important things to worry about. Not that Sadie wasn’t important. 

I turned my focus to the Dark Warrior leader who was chortling with laughter as Sammy embraced Sadie’s new amnesia with a fight. The two began to brawl and I took the opportunity to sneak up on the man. He noticed me coming from behind just as I brought my blade around to swipe at his ankles. 

He leapt into the air, higher than a normal human would be able to jump and hit the ground hard. 

I caught Alex and Kenzie still fighting out of the corner of my eye, though the number of enemies had dropped considerably. They were fighting together now that Sammy was locked into a battle with Sadie. 

The Dark Warrior man carried a wicked looking spiked club now, it was dripping with something that was either blood or poison. Either way it looked terrifying. 

I dove out of the way as his momentum carried him toward me. He swung wide and I ducked, attempting to stab at his legs. He hopped out of the way with even more extraordinary ability. He grinned at me before throwing the club at me. It flew like a boomerang and I barely managed to drop to the ground and avoid decapitation. 

“Come fight me, coward,” I taunted. 

“Hypocrite,” the man hissed. “I didn’t watch my friends die and do nothing about it.” Apparently news travelled fast. Hiro’s dying face popped into my face, sparking rage inside me. The spark grew into a wildfire and I yelled loudly before rushing into an attack.

The Dark Warrior didn’t see it coming. My blade made contact with his nose and he disappeared as I sliced a gash in his face. 

Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder. I wheeled around, sword at the ready. It was only Alex, gripping her own sword tightly. “Luke, it’s fine. Kenzie and I killed the others - Sadie is the only one left fighting for their cause.”

I sent a glance towards Sadie and realized with a start that Sammy was attempting the same tactic I had tried. But I knew it wouldn’t succeed. 

He wa lying on the ground, his hands up in surrender, his nose bloody. Sadie held one sword tightly, the other discarded on the ground not far away. I noticed Sammy was unarmed and ran to grab him the abandoned sword but Sadie saw me move. 

Without a second thought she shot a ball of pure light straight at me. It collided with me and sent me careening backwards into Alex and Kenzie. We collapsed in a heap and my entire body burned and ached. Alex was on top of me, patting out flames that had appeared on my shirt. The scent of burning flesh filled the air and I choked back a scream as the pain rose in my throat. 

“Sammy,” I gasped. “Sadie won’t fall for it again.” 

Kenzie had been hovering over me a second ago but her shadow darted away. Alex helped me up and I sat helplessly on the ground as Kenzie rushed towards Sammy and Sadie. 

The elvin princess had a sword raised above her head, prepared to strike and bring it down on Sammy. The bodyguard laid on the ground, transfixed by the blade that glinted in the dying sunlight. 

Just as the blade was about an inch from Sammy’s stomach did Sadie suddenly let out a gasp. She stumbled backwards, head in her hands as she tumbled to the ground. 

Sammy rushed towards her, crawling on hands and knees. 

Sadie met his eyes and a single tear spilt down her cheek. She rushed towards him, throwing her arms around his neck as she sobbed wildly. 

Kenzie stood helplessly between Alex and I and Sammy and Sadie. Hiro was gone, leaving Kenzie as a fifth wheel. Not that Alex and I were together. Or Sammy and Sadie. Or any of us for that matter. 

The telepath made her way to Alex and I, kneeling at my side. “You look like a toasted bird,” Kenzie commented wryly, a grin stretching across her face. 

“Thanks,” I mumbled, glancing down at my charred shirt. Luckily Alex had managed to put out the tiny fire before it did much damage, but my skin was still protesting from the flames and I felt achy all over. 

“Here,” Kenzie held out her hands. They hovered shakily over my stomach. Hesitant. “I, um, learned a trick to help with burns a while back. May I?” 

The dragon, I remembered. When Hiro had tried to steal a diamond from a dragon he had ended up with extremely painful - though not fatal - burns. And Kenzie had somehow come up with a trick to ease the pain. 

“Sure,” I answered. Kenzie’s fingers were cool to the touch and she hummed a soft song. It wasn’t elvish like Sammy and Sadie’s song from on the volcano. This one seemed cooler. Harsher. Like the song of the magical folks. I didn’t know where it came from or what it meant, but the song eased the pain in my stomach. 

It was like a blizzard had passed over my skin. Kenzie removed her hands and the pain left with it. 

Then Kenzie screamed. Alex and I jumped to our feet, instincts getting the better of us. I soon realized there was no danger and reluctantly sheathed my sword. Kenzie was staring at her hands like she had performed dark magic or something. 

“Kenzie?” Alex asked tentatively, stepping closer. Kenzie backed away, holding up her hands. Her fingers were blackened like she had held soot. 

But it wasn’t soot or dirt. I knew that it was Darkness. 

“Don’t use that trick again,” I warned her, feeling guilty now. “I don’t think it will spread unless you keep using magic.” I didn’t know how I knew this, but someone how I did. 

Kenzie looked at me with a startled expression but I didn’t have time to comfort her. Sammy and Sadie were making the trek over to us, Sadie leaning on Sammy for support. Her eyes were puffy. 

“Hey, we’re all okay,” Alex assured her. “We already fixed Luke up.” 

“I hurt Luke?” Sadie’s eyebrows rose and she began to cry harder. “I didn’t try it. I swear I wasn’t myself.” 

“Sadie…” I began, but Sammy sent me a look warning me not to. “I’m fine.” 

My shirt was ruined, of course. Or at least I had thought it was. Yet the fabric wasn’t even singed. Apparently my imagination-formed clothes were invincible. If only it were the same for characters. 

“I hate the Darkness,” Sadie grumbled. “Or at least I think I do. What’s the Darkness again?” 

I sighed. This was going to be tougher than I thought. 

“Sadie, what all do you remember?” Alex asked at last, her voice soft and gentle but also tinted with a note of panic. 

Sadie looked straight at Alex. Her emerald eyes flashed with dismay. 

“I … I only know who Sam is. Who are the rest of you again?” My heart sank to my stomach. The Darkness was taking everything from me. 


It took a little bit of persuasion to get Sadie to listen to us. She was completely in an upheaval, scared of all of us. Sammy assured her that we were friends not foes, and only then did she calm down. 

Kenzie noted that she had recognized me at first and Sadie admitted she was pretending to see if we would harm her. 

Finally, we managed to get Sadie to believe we were her friends. She was still stuck by Sammy’s side as she recited what she knew. She knew that there was a Darkness but she didn’t know what it was. She didn’t remember Hiro at all, nor Kenzie or Alex. I was a faded memory, simply a wisp of a thought. 

And despite all we had been through, the last thing Sadie was remembered was an oncoming threat that her father refused to tell her about. Sammy explained that this was about a month before the pair met up with Kenzie, Hiro and Kip. 

We set on our way to cover as much ground as possible before nightfall. Sammy filled Sadie in on everything - well, almost everything. He left out a lot of fighting parts and a lot of hopeless stuff, which I assumed was to protect Sadie more than anything. We collected what we could from the Dark Warrior’s camp, but there wasn’t much to scavenge. 

No doubt Dee knew we had killed them by now. Word travelled surprisingly fast in a place without phones. 

We made it down the large hill and surprisingly at the bottom we found a marshland. The swampy ground was sandwiched between the hill we had come down and another small hill in front of us. 

“I am not crossing over that,” Sadie informed us as Sammy dipped the toe of his boot into one of the puddles. She wrinkled her nose at the stench, reminding us that some things never changed. I had to agree with her though, I didn’t think that the swamp was a very luxurious option. 

Further down the swamp was a wooden bridge, the brown boards rotted in some place. It looked sturdy but it was too far to make out any details. 

“What about that?” I pointed at the bridge in the distance. 

“Ooh, a bridge,” Sadie exclaimed. “Now that’s an option fit for a princess.” 

Sammy rolled his eyes and I could feel Alex’s presence at my side. She was worried for Sadie. I was too, but I knew there was nothing we could do against the Darkness. I mean, my sword seemed to be extra effective but I couldn’t just stab the girl. 

Kenzie seemed pale. “Don’t cross bridges,” she mumbled under her breath. 

“What?” I asked. I didn’t think anyone else had heard her. Kenzie shook her head, or maybe it was a shudder. 

“It’s nothing,” Kenzie sighed. “I was just always taught to never trust a conveniently placed bridge. When I became Ash’s maid I went through about a year of schooling on how to protect her. The drill teacher pounded it into our heads.” 

“I keep forgetting you were a maid,” Alex said. “You don’t really look like maid material to me. Did the King and Queen have an ulterior motive or something?” 

Kenzie shrugged. “Unlike my parents, the royals praised my telepathy. I’m sure I wasn’t their best choice for a maid but they wanted someone with my talents hidden among the palace staff. It came in handy when Hiro tried to kill the king…” Her voice trailed off. “Anyways, bridges aren’t safe - especially when there’s another way to cross something.” 

“Luxury versus safety,” Sammy debated. “I was taught the same thing during training. Safety is always first.” 

Sadie humphed. “You do what you please, but I will not get dirty when I can cross a bridge. Unless any of you would rather carry me across.” She fluttered her eyelashes at me like she wanted me to carry her. I shook my head. 

“Sadie…” Kenzie began, but the girl was already making her way towards the bridge. Sammy sighed. Kenzie began to grumble under her breath but reluctantly followed the girl. 

I shared a look with Alex. “Let’s just go with the others,” she decided. “They can take care of danger and then we can cross the bridge.” She sent a look at the bubbling muck. “It smells disgusting.” 

Again, I didn’t really want to cross the swamp by foot. But the bridge felt risky. 

Alex started towards the bridge and I didn’t really want to be left behind so I followed behind her. Sadie was already at the base of the bridge. 

“See, everything is fine,” Sadie said, placing her toe on the edge of the bridge. 

The wood exploded into flames. Sadie leapt backwards as a chuckling form began to appear in the smoke. 

“I take that back,” Sadie muttered. “Everything is chaotic.” 



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

20 Views
Added on September 15, 2020
Last Updated on September 15, 2020
Tags: short stories, teen, young adult, fantasy, adventure, fiction, quest, darkness, heroes, castle, kingdom, imagination, doubt, confidence


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.