Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
The Writer - Chapter 2

The Writer - Chapter 2

A Chapter by A.L.
"

The Reader

"

Unfortunately, Clara got her wish relatively quickly. Their camp was in the Crossover Forest, and Emmeline and her friends had been battling soldiers in Quigon. Though both locations were side by side, Clara and Beckett were angry about the whole ‘going off alone’ thing and purposely took a wrong turn. 

 By nightfall, the entire group was hopelessly lost. 

“I swear we’ve past this tree three times now,” Newt complained unhappily. 

“It’s not my fault,” Beckett lied, though he was smiling softly as if he thought no one could see. Emmeline thought of the boy like an imp. Mischievous. Devilish. And just a tiny bit passionate. 

“Look, we should have been back by now,” Coral sighed. “If Titus was expecting us sooner we’ll be in big trouble.” 

“What are they going to do to us?” Clara scoffed, elbowing Beckett in the side which nearly made him drop his lantern. “Kill us? Good luck defeating Baelle then. Lock us in a cellar for a week? Been there, done that.” 

Emmeline didn’t even want to know. 

“Good point, but we still shouldn’t take forever,” Coral said. “These woods are freaky.” 

Just on cue came a rustle in the bushes, Clara paled in the dim firelight. Beckett scanned the bushes with his lantern. The shadows seemed to deepen with every second. 

“Quigon is known for its animals,” Newt pointed out. “Maybe it’s just a creature.” 

“Is it Forrest?” Beckett asked. Forrest stepped into the light and crossed his arms, glaring at Beckett. “Sorry, he’s just quiet.” 

Emmeline silently cursed Beckett for being so ignorant. His century in the coma hadn’t improved his people skills. Nevertheless, adrenaline pumped through her veins. Her fingers grasped the hilt of her sword as she glanced nervously at each clump of bushes.

“Let’s keep going…” Emmeline suggested. She was interrupted by the rustle yet again. 

Something burst out in front of them and Emmeline stumbled backwards, falling into Newt. He caught her but Beckett wasn’t so lucky. 

The mysterious creature was pinning him to the ground, his lantern had rolled not far away. Beckett was beating the creature with his fists, wiggling helplessly on the ground. 

Emmeline could just make out the shape of a large, furry wolf. Beckett stilled and Emmeline’s stomach sank. Was he dead? Just like that? Clara was thinking clearly enough to slam her knife into the wolf’s flank. It yelped and dissolved into a puddle of mist. 

Coral knelt down beside the boy but he bolted upright, slamming his head into hers. “Sorry,” he apologised meekly. “I thought maybe I could fool it into thinking I was dead.” 

“Wolves travel in packs,” Newt said, his voice cutting through the night, a cruel reminder that they weren’t safe. He unsheathed his sword, holding the blade in front him. A flurry of movement caught Emmeline’s eye and she lunged towards it, sword drawn. 

A wolf pushed her to the ground, baring its fangs. Emmeline slammed the hilt of her sword into its head. The wolf stumbled away, its amber eyes gleaming with unnatural light. She attacked again, this time with the blade. The wolf melted away, leaving nothing behind. The others were standing there. 

“What exactly is happening?” Clara asked suspiciously. “Two wolves attack the two people we need most-” 

She didn’t get to finish her statement because just then six more wolves appeared in the clearing. Their gray fur rippled on their backs as they raised their hackles. And yet these wolves didn’t attack. They were waiting for something. 

Or someone, Emmeline thought to herself. 

Mist seemed to pour from the wolves, spiraling around them and forming a thick cover. Then, from the mist, a figure began to form.

Emmeline bit back a gasp. She recognized the unearthly, telltale glow of a Rogue Goddess. Technically, the Rogues weren’t real goddesses. They were born from the twelve patron Goddesses as Emmeline and her friends had discovered the previous year. 

“Interesting,” the Rogue said as she took in the group. 

At the same time Newt pulled Emmeline to her feet. She brushed herself off while inspecting the mysterious Rogue. 

While Baelle had appeared as a woman in her twenties, this Rogue looked to be about eight. She had stormy gray eyes and silvery-blonde hair that was pulled back into a tight braid. Her trousers and top were made of a similar hued material. 

“Interesting?” Emmeline stepped forward, determined to protect her friends. She was done with the Rogues - she wished that the Goddesses had never formed these children. 

“Interesting,” repeated the Rogue. “A Reader, a prince, a healer, a Normie, a Cursed, and a Blessed all working together in perfect harmony.” She scanned the group, her eyes lingering on each of the teens. 

“You’re the Goddess of Teamwork,” Emmeline guessed. 

“Close,” the Rogue admitted. “I’m the Goddess of Unity actually. Kalaia. And pleased to meet your acquaintance, also surprised you didn’t notice my slip.” 

“Slip?” Newt asked, raising an eyebrow. Kalaia gave him a sickeningly sweet smile that made Emmeline shudder. Emmeline gripped his arm, a reminder not to attack the demigoddess, even if she looked like a little girl. 

“That’s twice now,” Kalaia noted like she was speaking to someone who wasn’t there. “Oblivious.” 

“Kalaia, I appreciate the sentiment, but can you just start killing us?” Beckett interrupted, pretending to pout. Emmeline really needed to have a talk with him about his people skills. 

Luckily, Kalaia laughed. There was a soft slice through the silence as Kalaia pulled a silvery axe from the back of her dress. Emmeline was amazed at the demigoddess’s ability to conceal the weapon. 

Kalaia stroked her axe lovingly, waiting a few moments before meeting Beckett’s eyes. “Would you like me to kill you?” she asked, her eyes sparkling. 

“No,” Emmeline interceded before Beckett could make any more rash decisions. 

“Good,” Kalaia said curty, placing her axe back in the holster on her back. “I’m not here to kill you actually. I’m a Rogue - as you well know. Most of my sisters have allied themselves with Baelle.” 

Kalaia’s voice was toneless, as though she were reciting from a book rather than from her mind. She betrayed no thought, something Emmeline wasn’t used to. 

“You don’t seem to care,” Newt noted, thinking along the same lines as Emmeline. “Are you here to join us?” He sounded hopeful but Emmeline knew better than to expect pure passion from the demigoddess. 

Of course, Kalaia shook her head. “No, not yet, at least. You see, Baelle is trying to get all of us to join her side. Yet she offers little in compensation. It is quite possible I could be killed by the actual Goddesses. And why should I risk that? Baelle has offered me a city of my own - if only I join her side.” 

Kalaia paused as if daring Emmeline to interrupt. Emmeline wisely kept silent and Kalaia continued. 

“However, I am the demigoddess of Unity. The Rogues can’t possess a united front perfectly without me. And as much as they try, Baelle is not uniting us for our good, only her own. Therefore, I am prepared to make a deal,” Kalaia explained. “I will join your side if you can offer me a better deal than Baelle.” 

A demigoddess would certainly help their ranks. And the demigoddess of Unity, nonetheless. The offer was tempting. Emmeline wondered if maybe they actually stood a chance with Kalaia on their side. 

It was actually getting her in their league that was the challenge. What would Kalaia want that Emmeline could offer her? She knew the answer already, and bile rose in her throat. 

“You want me to Write you as a true goddess,” Emmeline clarified. 

Kalaia shrugged indifferently but Emmeline saw the glimmer of hope in the girl’s eye. “If it wouldn’t be too much of a hassle, but not exactly. I … I can’t tell you yet.” 

Why did everyone always want Read or Written? 

Emmeline sighed, silently weighing the pros and cons. Kalaia would bring major power and unity that could tip the scales in the rebel’s favor. But what if the girl was tricking her? Surely Baelle’s offer was tempting to Kalaia. It was entirely possible that she was in leagues with the new Goddess. What if she used her improved powers to kill Emmeline? 

She might not want to be a true Goddess, Emmeline reminded herself. Kalaia said she wanted something else. Maybe unknowable power. A seat among the great goddesses. 

Emmeline wanted time to debate this with her friends. Newt was always level headed and Coral provided the emotional aspect of the situation. But she knew that Kalaia was relying on her for an answer. Debate wasn’t an option. 

“I accept,” Emmeline decided at last. She figured that if Kalaia’s Writing demand was too unreasonable she could always Write a loophole like she had with Baelle. 

Kalaia nodded once, her gaze cold and calculating. For a little girl she looked much like a huntress. Kalaia was not someone to be trifled with, Emmeline reasoned. Crossing her, well, it wouldn’t be a good idea. 

“Very well,” Kalaia said at last. “I suppose I am willing to work with you.” 

“You suppose,” Beckett snorted. “Look, lady, Emmeline is willing to Write you which is something because she never does that. You should travel with us and give your eternal devotion.” 

Kalaia snorted. Emmeline swore that Beckett would be locked in a closet for a week when they finally got back. Insulting a goddess - even just a partial one - that was asking to be killed. 

“Y’know, Princeling,” Kalaia began, placing her hands on her hips. “Ibenily and I have talked multiple times lately over my allegiances. She has showed me bits of the future. I’ll tolerate your idiotic comments only because I know exactly what is going to happen.” 

That shut Beckett up. Emmeline felt worry pooling in her stomach. For Kalaia to be tolerating Beckett’s insolence, there had to be something unfortunate approaching. 

“So, all we have to do is Write you as a Goddess?” Emmeline asked, just to make sure there wasn’t anything else. Of course, Titus and the other rebels probably wouldn’t be happy that she was changing the plan. But they needed Kalaia on their side if they wanted a chance to win. 

Kalaia frowned. “No. I want you to make me a normal girl.”


Emmeline and her friends were nearly to the camp by morning. They stopped at around midnight for a break and rested until dawn. Clara and Beckett were the only ones actually able to sleep. Newt had assured Emmeline that she was safe and even offered her his shoulder as a pillow. But try as she might, Emmeline barely got sleep. And the shut-eye she did manage to steal was restless and filled with memories of past Readings. 

Kalaia had opted not to travel with Emmeline’s group. Since the girl was a demigoddess she decided that she would hide from Baelle but would come when Emmeline called. She’d run off into the woods with her dogs trailing behind her, leaving Emmeline to ponder her decision. 

“A normal girl?” Beckett had scoffed after Kalaia was out of sight. “Why normal?” 

It reminded Emmeline of a conversation she had with the prince right after their fight with Baelle. The pair had discussed what it meant to be different. 

Emmeline was still uncomfortable with her role as the sole Reader but she was growing into it. Readings didn’t freak her out as much anymore and she was willing to Write if she had to - which was a big difference than before. 

Of course, all of her friends were growing up too. Newt was more sure of himself and his powers. Clara was maturing quickly. Forrest had fallen silent. Coral was extremely protective. Only Beckett seemed the same, but even he was changed - he understood that he played a major role in the war. 

When the sun painted the sky with streaks of gold and pink, the group finally set off again in search of their encampment. 

“Where exactly is the camp again?” Newt asked, rubbing his head as he stared at the rows and rows of trees. Emmeline was struggling in a similar way. All of the trees were identical. 

“Near the birch tree,” Clara answered, scanning the forest as well. “Then to the pine. And then to the river and down until you see a clump of daisies. Make a right and then you’ll find the mansion.” 

“That would help if I knew what any of those were,” Newt sighed. “You think I’m from Zachryose?” 

“No,” Coral remarked. “The people there look nothing like you.” 

“We’ve been there,” Beckett reminded everyone. “It was where Emmeline killed that boy-” 

“Beckett,” Coral warned, shooting Emmeline a sympathetic look. 

“It’s fine,” Emmeline lied. “He’s just trying to relate. But we do need to have a talk about insulting goddesses.” 

Beckett blushed, pink rising to his pale cheeks. Beckett was abnormally pale all the time, his bright blue eyes the only colorful thing about him. His arms were striped with the normal black ink of the Markings, but green and silver tendrils snaked down the skin like vines. They were a result of Beckett learning to harness his power previously. 

“The birch is right there,” Clara continued onwards, her boots crunching the dead leaves on the ground. “See how the bark is-” 

“Please be quiet,” Newt grumbled. “The last thing I need is a lecture on trees. It’s like torture … and I should know.” The comment caused a heavy silence to fall over the group. Emmeline reached for Newt’s hand, gripping it tightly. 

Memories pressed at her mind. Newt’s anguished cries. The blood trickling down his forehead. “There’s one way to make it stop.” Baelle’s whispers. The harsh pain of the pen nib piercing her skin at her heart. The way the ink fused with the blood. Newt squeezed her hand, snapping her back to the present. 

“Here’s the pine,” Clara announced, trying to lighten the mood. 

The group followed behind her like a flock of sheep. Emmeline and the others weren’t keen on splitting up unless they had to. Fighting was different - Clara and Beckett were inexperienced and young. Not that Emmeline was much older or wiser. 

Emmeline tried to pretend she was going on a nice stroll with her friends. Yet every tree pressed at her like a face in the dim light. Kalaia’s warning of Beckett’s future kept attacking her mind, reminding her of their quest. Beckett or Emmeline would kill Baelle. Only they could, no one else. It was their duty. The thought weighed on Emmeline’s shoulders like lead. 

“You good?” Newt asked, squeezing again. Emmeline blushed and nodded once. 

“I wish this was all over,” she whispered. It wasn’t an entire lie but Emmeline didn’t want to burden her friends with her unhappy thoughts. 

“Don’t we all,” Coral mumbled. “But where’s the fun in that?” 

“We don’t die,” Emmeline said. 

Coral shrugged, but her gaze was determined. “We won’t die. Baelle can’t get rid of us that easily.” 

“Especially me!” Beckett piped up. Emmeline rolled her eyes. Too bad they couldn’t just throw Beckett into the palace. With all the havoc he could wreak, they could probably tear down the castle within a week. If Baelle didn’t kill him first. 

Silence blanketed the group again and about a minute later they arrived at the mansion HQ for the rebel faction. 

A figure was waiting for them by the door. He had golden brown hair and eyes as angry as a swarm of wasps. His arms were crossed, a fiery gold sword hanging at his side. His lips were pulled into a frown. “You’re late,” Titus from Waelia remarked. 


“Well this ought to be good,” Titus grouched from his seat near the head of the table. 

“Hey, lighten up,” Newt chided him, patting the guy on the back. Titus snarled at him but didn’t recoil at the touch. It was a definite improvement from a few months ago when the two had been enemies. It had helped that Titus had started dating Marlene, showing Newt he wasn’t interested in Emmeline. Not that he ever had been - though Emmeline’s Reading of him showed some conflicted feelings. 

Especially now that Emmeline knew that Titus would die in battle. 

It made the death seem like her fault. 

“Yeah, lighten up,” Titus grumbled. He pushed Newt away and the smaller boy reluctantly took a seat beside Emmeline. 

“So the Guide was yours,” Clara said. 

“Guide?” Titus raised an eyebrow. His hands were clasped tightly in front of him like he was politely waiting for something. Everything about him screamed serious

“Y’know, those glowing animal things that carry messages?” Clara asked, leaning back on her seat. Compared to Titus, she was like a lazy cat. Where Titus was tight like a coiled spring, Clara was relaxed and calm. 

“I know what they are,” Titus said. “But I didn’t send one after you guys.” 

“You didn’t?” The question came from Emmeline this time. She sent a look Clara’s way but the girl just shrugged. Forrest started gesturing all over the place and Coral watched him intently but said nothing. Emmeline assumed he was just angry that Clara hadn’t believed him. 

“I only said you were late because you were supposed to be back yesterday,” Titus explained. “Quigon isn’t that far away and it was supposed to be a scouting mission.” 

“There were soldiers and then Emmeline, Newt, Coral, and Forrest snuck off for a special date. Oh, and then we met a Goddess,” Beckett explained. Emmeline slammed an open palm against her forehead. 

“Explain,” Titus demanded. Emmeline took a breath before recounting her battle with the soldiers. She explained that her and the others didn’t plan to be at the waterhole for long but Titus didn’t look impressed. Emmeline was glad that he hadn’t invited any of the other strategists to this meeting. She concluded with their meeting and deal with Kalaia. 

Titus took the news well. 

“A rogue Rogue, you say,” Titus mumbled. “Interesting. And the demigoddess of Unity? Definitely useful.” 

“But first thing is first,” Newt interjected. “We need a pen.” 

“And I happen to know where to find one,” Titus claimed with a smile. “The Beach of Lost.” 

“Wiley told me that earlier!” Emmeline remembered. He had mentioned losing his pen previously which meant it would end up at the Beach of Lost. All lost things went there - and Emmeline had been journeying there when she was captured by Baelle. 

Titus nodded. “It’s not a long trip. The six of you could go and be back before anyone noticed. If I told some of the generals you were late from Quigon they might believe me.” 

“Why not just tell them where we’re going?” Newt asked. 

Titus shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “That’s the thing. Baelle has ordered all of you as high priority fugitives.” 

“What else is new?” Coral snorted. “We’ve been on the run for months now.” 

Titus stared directly at Emmeline, his mouth opening and closing a few times before he spoke. “The thing is, Baelle is changing her methods. She thinks that she can still be Written because Emmeline never finished the Writing. One of our spies informed us that, well, she’s trying to get another Reader.” 

“There are no Readers,” Emmeline replied automatically, not even bothering to ask about the spies. She knew they had people inside the castle. “I’m the only one.” 

“Baelle is ordering a high price on your head, Echo,” Titus explained. “She wants to create new Readers and she will go at any length to accomplish this. Which unfortunately includes capturing the only Reader left for study - you.”



© 2020 A.L.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

21 Views
Added on October 16, 2020
Last Updated on October 16, 2020
Tags: adventure, fantasy, blessed, cursed, fiction, mythology, death, love, friendship, kingdom, prince, princess, queen, king, youngadult, ya, goddess, sword


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.