The Writer - Chapter 10

The Writer - Chapter 10

A Chapter by A.L.
"

The Reader

"

Emmeline knew that she was being petty but she couldn’t help it. 

To be honest, she had pictured the quest as her own since the moment she and Newt had left the circus however many months ago. She had been the one to Read Beckett, to chase after him, to fight back against Baelle, to die for their cause. 

And now the Generals weren’t going to let her fight. 

Emmeline was ashamed that she had burst out of the meeting like that, but her emotions were running wild. 

She understood completely why the Generals didn’t want her to leave. Baelle wanted Emmeline desperately, and the goddess probably would stop for nothing to get her way. But that didn’t make Emmeline want to fight less. 

She was perched on the edge of the roof of the mansion, although it wasn’t the safest of places. A cool wind tousled her hair, as if trying to comfort her. 

Coral had tried to speak with Emmeline, but she had turned the girl away. Emmeline was still Coral’s friend, of course. She was just a bit miffed that the others would be leaving in the morning. Clara would head off with her army, Forrest and Coral with their crew. 

Emmeline hadn’t waited to see why Newt was forced to stay with her and Beckett, but she didn’t care enough to ask. She wouldn’t be imprisoned alone, and that was what mattered. 

The hatch that led to the roof slammed, making Emmeline jump. 

She turned to see Newt approaching, his arms stretched out for balance as he made his way towards her. His eyes practically glowed in the milky light of the full moon. 

Silence hung over them as Newt took a seat beside Emmeline. She leaned into him, savoring the warmth he offered. The gesture reminded her of old times on top of the buildings in the Tower Ruins of Layene. 

“So, are you feeling better now?” Newt asked. 

Emmeline shrugged. “I’m fine,” she lied. “Did the Generals tell you why you’re not allowed to go anywhere?” 

Newt nodded, his eyes fixed on the tops of the trees where flocks of birds fluttered restlessly. “They said because it would be a danger to you. I mean, last time Baelle tortured me you gave into her, so…” He didn’t finish his statement. 

Guilt welled up in Emmeline’s stomach. She hadn’t known that Newt was stuck here because of her. “I’m sorry,” she whispered. 

“It’s fine,” Newt lied. What a common lie it was, for one to say they were fine when they really weren’t. The whole world was basically collapsing and here they were, cuddling for warmth on the roof of a mansion. 

“I just wish that they wouldn’t try to protect us so much,” Emmeline sighed at last. “Baelle isn’t going to turn away just because I’m locked in a mansion. We’re just sitting ducks.” 

“I don’t agree with it either,” Newt said. “But if we do anything against the Generals, there’s a chance we’ll lose our only allies. Besides, it’s just a few days stuck inside the mansion with Beckett.” 

“You make that seem so easy,” Emmeline scoffed, a smile forming on her lips. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad after all, since Emmeline would have Newt with her. 

“Easy? Why would something in our life be easy?” Newt laughed. “You know, things would be a lot easier if I wasn’t so wonderful.” He pretended to pose, which made Emmeline laugh and she playfully shoved him. 

“How so?” 

“Well, I’m so great-” 

“Don’t forget the cocky part.” 

“I’m so wonderful, amazing, and confident that you gave up your life for me.” 

“That was to defeat Baelle, not to save you and your egotistical head. I only saved you because I knew Forrest would kill me if I came back without you.” 

“... sure, like I believe that.” 

“Fine, and because I would miss snuggle-time on the roof with my blonde cheerleader.” Emmeline sighed at last. She felt ten times lighter, as if laughter really was the cure. 

Newt held Emmeline close to him for what felt like forever. 

Emmeline wished that the world wasn’t in danger. She wanted to live a normal life, be a normal person. She wished that Baelle had never been born in the first place - which she knew was selfish. 

But life was so hard now and Emmeline didn’t even know if she would make it through the next few years. Or weeks, for that matter. 

Emmeline pulled away from Newt. The moonlight made him seem to glow with unearthly radiance. His expression was blank, but his eyes told the story that a million words could not convey. 

That was when the weird thing happened. Emmeline couldn’t describe it - the occurrence happened so fast she thought for a moment that she imagined it. 

Light flashed from the moon, washing the entire world in silver for less than a second. 

When Emmeline’s blindness subsided, she found Newt unconscious beside her. 

And he wasn’t breathing. 

Panic overwhelmed her senses and Emmeline called out for Elyviella’s mini Blessing. She wasn’t sure how exactly the goddess magic stuff worked, but her fingers sparked gold. She placed her fingers on Newt’s temples, acting purely on instinct now. Her magic sparks sank into his skin, disappearing. 

Nothing happened and Emmeline’s heart leapt into her throat. 

His chest suddenly rose and fell. Emmeline’s grief turned to shock as his breathing returned to normal a moment later. 

She thought she hallucinated the entire thing at first, that her and Newt had fallen asleep in each other’s embrace. But then his eyes fluttered open and pain etched wrinkles across his perfect features. 

“Emmeline,” he whispered before his voice trailed off and he collapsed backwards again. She caught his head, cradling it in her shaking hands. 

Then she screamed for help.


“So much for a party,” Clara mumbled grumpily. “I was looking forward to cake and biscuits and…” 

“No cake,” Emmeline argued pettily. She knew Clara was just trying to keep her mind off of Newt, but cake brought back so many bad memories for Emmeline that she really didn’t want to think about it. 

“Fine, no cake,” Clara humphed. “But what about party hats?” 

Emmeline bit back a retort. Her fingers strayed to the necklace that dangled below her collar, resting on her chest. She rubbed the cool metal with her thumb, reminiscing the day Newt had given it to her. It was a small key charm, one Newt claimed was the key to her heart. 

“Stop worrying,” Clara chastised. “Newt will be fine. You guys have the best medics here, and he’s breathing, is he not?” 

“We don’t have the best healers,” Emmeline argued. “You’re leaving tomorrow.” 

Clara didn’t respond. The pair was sitting in the Division alone. Beckett was off brooding somewhere, Clara said he was probably raiding the kitchen. Newt was hidden away with a bunch of medics - Clara wasn’t invited. Forrest’s room was closed, but no one knew why. And Coral was writing letters to the Sprite Hunters in her room. 

Worry pooled in Emmeline’s stomach like a pit of writhing snakes. What if Newt died? What had even happened? 

“Can you explain what happened again?” Clara asked, sensing Emmeline’s anxiety. “It might help me to understand what’s wrong so I can help - if the medics will let me.” She sent a glare at the closed door that hid Newt. 

Emmeline sighed before bursting into explanation. “We were just sitting up there-” Clara coughed and Emmeline glared at her, “and I turned to look at him. Then all of the sudden there was this flash of light, and he fell over and I tried to save him. He wasn’t breathing, Clara. So I summoned Elyviella’s magic and it restored him.” 

Clara ran her fingers through her fiery hair. “I don’t understand how you weren’t affected by this mysterious light.” 

“Neither do I.” 

Clara thought some more, but she seemed to come to no conclusions. The two sat in silence for a while longer. 

“What’s taking them so long?” Emmeline asked nervously. Why were the medics not coming out? Clara shrugged, obviously other things were weighing on her mind. She knew that she should be worried for her friends. 

After all, there was a fair chance she would never see them again. But somehow, Emmeline had a feeling that this wasn’t the last of Clara. Besides, they would say goodbye in the morning. 

Just on cue, the door to Newt’s room creaked open and the medics poured out. Emmeline didn’t recognize anyone, but they look trustworthy enough. 

“Hey,” Emmeline interrupted. Only one of the medics turned to her, an older woman with mousy gray hair. “Ma’m, did you figure out what’s wrong? Is there anything I can do to help? Is he alive?” 

The woman gave a nervous chuckle. “You must be Echo, the Reader. He’s doing fine, honey. He’ll be awake by morning, and there’s nothing we can do for him to change that. As for what’s wrong…” She seemed uncomfortable and Emmeline felt her hope drain away. Something was wrong with Newt. 

“You haven’t figured it out?” Clara asked for her. 

The woman gave a solemn nod. “It’s so odd. There’s nothing physically wrong with him - at least not yet. Like he’s contracted a virus, but it’s doing nothing to him. All we can do is pray that he gets better.” 

Emmeline thanked the kind nurse before sinking back into the cushions of the couch. 

Yeah, right. Pray that he gets better. May the goddesses help them now. She sent out a quick prayer to Elyviella anyways. 

“C’mon, Echo, we should be getting to bed,” Clara decided. “We have a big day tomorrow.” Emmeline nodded an acknowledgement, and Clara practically had to drag her to bed. 


Emmeline felt terrible. Her nightmares had kept her up all night, as did her worries about Newt. She felt guilty about not caring enough for her friends in addition to everything else. The moon cast pale light across her pillow and made it impossible to sleep for long. She rolled back and forth, trying to get comfortable. 

After what seemed like hours later, there was a soft squeal as the window slid open. A shadow appeared across Emmeline’s bed and her muscles tensed. Adrenaline pumped through her veins and her heart raced. 

Fire flickered to life a few inches from her face and Emmeline relaxed a little bit. She sat up and glared at the figure standing beside her. 

“Did I scare you?” Titus snickered. Emmeline slapped him. “Sorry, matchstick. I just wanted to see you before I leave.” 

If it were anyone else, Emmeline would’ve been really embarrassed. Especially considering he called her matchstick, which had been her nickname since she burnt down a castle. 

“You want Written,” Emmeline guessed with a sigh. Titus looked away, but Emmeline couldn’t tell if he was ashamed or embarrassed. 

“Do you have the pen?” he asked instead. 

Emmeline nodded. The pen hadn’t keft her side since she found it on the Beach of Lost. She had fashion a skinny, leather strap that hung at her waist, hidden under her shirt and pants. The pen was tucked in the strap safely. 

She pulled it out carefully. Titus studied the object closely, as if he doubted the genuinity of it. Emmeline’s hands shook, her fingers trembling as she gazed at the pen too. The dark body was slim and smooth. The nib was sharper than any dagger, and just looking at it made memories flood Emmeline’s mind. She forced them back. 

“Do you know what you’re doing?” Titus asked, his voice stern. 

Emmeline shook her head. “You weren’t really entirely clear one what you wanted done-” 

“I want to forget Marlene,” Titus decided. “I want to forget that I ever loved her, that I ever knew her. Can you do that?” He looked so scared, so sad, and yet so determined. Emmeline clutched the pen tightly in her hands. 

“I suppose I can, but are you sure about this, Titus?” Emmeline met his eyes. They were filled with fear but also a strong determination. “Yes, heartbreak hurts. But is forgetting it existed better?” Emmeline knew that even if she and Newt ever ended - not that she wanted to think about that - she would never forget. It was better to learn from her mistakes. 

“I’m sure,” Titus said firmly. “If you felt what I felt…” His voice trailed off and he rubbed his arms uncomfortably. “I’m trusting you, matchstick. Don’t mess this up.” 

“Geez, no pressure,” Emmeline mumbled. “This is only my second Writing ever.” 

But Titus didn’t seem afraid. He slowly pulled up his shirt so Emmeline could see his back. Dark marks swirled in her vision but Emmeline forced them away. 

He lay down on the floor, obviously not wanting to destroy any of Emmeline’s stuff. She knelt down beside him, her fingers shaking so hard she thought they would fall off. When Writing Baelle, Emmeline hadn’t worried about the outcome because she had thought she wouldn’t be around to deal with it. 

Titus was her friend and she didn’t want to mess anything up. 

She hesitated for only one more moment before plunging the nib into Titus’s back. His skin rippled where the pen touched it and he fell limp. Emmeline inhaled deeply, reminding herself that this was all part of the process. 

Just like before, she followed her instincts. She tried to not to read any of the other markings as she searched for the marks that would dictate where Marlene was. 

She found a small doodle of a lovely girl. Her hair was silvery, her eyes pale. Her ear was missing, the result of a Curse. The ink did her no justice, even in death. In their short time of being considered friends, Emmeline had grown fond of the girl before her untimely death. 

Titus shifted and Emmeline took another deep breath. She brushed her hand against the picture of Marlene’s face. It disappeared entirely, leaving pale skin like a scar. 

Emmeline hesitated again. She had so much power resting right under her fingertips. She could make Titus immortal, give him true love, give him the happiness he deserved. And all with a quick doodle. 

She sat down the pen and waited for Titus to wake. If he wanted happiness or a leisurely life, he would’ve asked. Besides, a person could only be Written once. 

When Titus finally groaned to life, he looked unsteady and pale. Emmeline helped him to his feet, sliding the pen under her bed for later. He was out of it, and she didn’t want to freak him out. 

Titus carried himself to the window before blinking once. “Thanks, matchstick.” 

And then he slipped away, disappearing into the night. Emmeline closed the window behind him and retrieved the pen from under her bed. 

The nib called to her, like an invisible rope. 

Memories pulled at her mind but Emmeline forced them back. She was not ready to relive her time with Baelle. 

She forced herself into bed, even more thoughts weighing on her mind as sleep eventually pulled her under. 


Emmeline didn’t want to see her friends go. It was noon the next day when the mansion was bustling with activity, since everyone was leaving at the same time. 

“Half of the army will meet us in Ibeni at the Library of Knowledge,” Clara was explaining quietly. Her hair was tied up in a tight, red bun. Her boots were laced and her white shirt was prim. She looked so mature, and Emmeline choked up a bit. 

Forrest and Coral were standing beside Clara wearing identical black outfits. A group of other teens in the same clothing was gathered not far away, deep in discussion. Emmeline assumed this was the group Forrest and Coral would be travelling with. They looked friendly enough, but Emmeline didn’t recognize any of them. 

Beckett and Newt had joined the farewell party, though the latter wobbled slightly on his feet. The kindly nurse from the previous night had assured Emmeline that Newt was fine, he had woken up this morning good as new. Emmeline didn’t believe it. 

“One of the girls in our group is an expert tracker,” Coral recited. “We’re heading out to Dinrali first.” 

Somber silence fell over the friends. Emmeline didn’t want to say goodbye, she couldn’t accept it. We’ll meet again, she promised herself, but doubt pressed down on her mind like a heavy blanket. 

“This isn’t goodbye,” Clara decided, echoing Emmeline’s thoughts. “We’ll all see each other again - whether in life or in death. Are you all wearing your bracelets?” 

Emmeline and the others nodded. The charm bracelet gifts were from Clara, each bracelet had a different wooden charm. Emmeline’s was a book, and she ran her fingers over the smooth wood when she was anxious. 

“The bracelets will help us find each other again, it’s part of the magic,” Clara whispered with a gleam in her eyes. Emmeline didn’t believe in magic like that, but she didn’t argue. 

“And we’ll send letters by Guides,” Coral assured them. “We can keep each other updated, and who knows, maybe we’ll meet up again sometime sooner than later.” The girl gave a small, sad smile. 

“Leaving in ten minutes!” a gruff voice screamed from not far away. Emmeline shifted uneasily. It felt like the last few minutes with her friends would be gone so quickly. 

“Well, I suppose this is farewell for now,” Beckett sighed. 

Emmeline pulled Coral into a hug first. The two embraced, and pulled away quickly. “Don’t do anything crazy, Echo. Promise me.” 

“I promise,” Emmeline sighed, rolling her eyes. Coral laughed sadly. 

Emmeline wrapped Clara in a hug next. The younger girl squirmed for only a moment before pushing Emmeline away. “Stay safe. I won’t be able to heal you the next time you jump out a window.” 

Emmeline stuck out her tongue, not trusting herself to talk. 

Finally, that left Forrest and Emmeline. They shook hands awkwardly, but then, surprisingly, Forrest pressed Emmeline into a quick hug. She gave in for a moment before Forrest pulled away. There was an odd look in his eyes, either fear or determination. 

Emmeline tapped the jar secured in his belt and gave him a look that she hoped conveyed her message. It’s your choice to accept your voice, Forrest

“Five minutes!” the voice yelled. 

“Well, see ya!” Clara called out before darting away into the hoards of people. Coral and Forrest followed her, more slowly though. 

Emmeline felt emotions rising in her stomach, but she pushed them down. 

She sent out a prayer to all of the goddesses that they would keep her and her friends safe. Many hardships lay ahead, and Emmeline knew she wasn’t ready for them yet. 

She inhaled deeply before grabbing Newt and Beckett and spinning them around. “C’mon, let’s see how much havoc we can wreak.”



© 2020 A.L.


Author's Note

A.L.
This is the start of the part of the story where it should start picking up speed, so bear with me through that. The end part was a bit tricky to write because I know what's going to happen (no spoilers, though!), and I'll leave it at that.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on November 11, 2020
Last Updated on November 11, 2020
Tags: goddess, ya, youngadult, king, queen, princess, prince, kingdom, friendship, love, death, mythology, fiction, cursed, blessed, fantasy, adventure, sword


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.