Fatefall - 19

Fatefall - 19

A Chapter by A.L.
"

Jett

"

Chapter 19 - Jett

Dusan was surprisingly stoic in our care. He never attempted to escape and yet he still refused to betray his siblings. I had to admire his bravery, however misplaced. 

Jett was glad he didn’t have an appetite because if he’d eaten lunch, he probably would’ve vomited it all back up during the Elimination. 

The arena from Qualifiers had been arranged to resemble a large, open-air banquet hall, complete with a feast and plenty of wine to go around. Koda had dropped off formal attire for the Elimination, meaning Jett was forced to wear a stiff vest over a button up shirt. 

At least he was allowed to keep the mask. It obscured most of the bruises still covering most of his face. Even with Poppy’s newly returned Grace, there was only so much healing she could do. Or so she claimed. 

King Hector and the panel of Trial judges sat facing the competitors. Jett didn’t dare touch the food, but the judges didn’t seem to mind the tension in the arena. The king seemed content to survey the competitors, his eyes inspecting each and every one of them. 

No one at Jett’s table spoke, as was the case for the majority of other competitors. Poppy poked mindlessly at the food on her plate while Adrian curled into himself as though determined to avoid his father’s keen gaze. Nakoa folded her hands politely on the table, her eyes fixed on the stage at the opposite side of the arena, where roughly twenty members of the Golden Guard stood with emotionless masks plastered over their faces. Sage fidgeted with a napkin, folding it and unfolding it repeatedly. 

Jett didn’t blame any of them. They would lose half of their competition tonight, to a fate worse than death. He shuddered at the thought of it. 

Eventually, King Hector stood and waited until the arena fell silent, which admittedly didn’t take very long. He lifted a chalice, radiating pride as he announced how pleased he was that everyone could make it to the banquet. 

Poppy made a low scoff. “As if we had a choice.”

Jett sighed. Armed guards escorting them from their apartment to the arena hadn’t exactly been optional. They’d even brought in a Graced of Deceit to ensure no one had replaced themselves with a non-competitor.

King Hector continued on to announce the placement of the top five teams from the first Trial. Just as Jett’s teammates had promised, they’d placed third to finish. No thanks to him. 

“I also must offer my sincerest condolences to those teams which failed to place in the top five in the first Trial of the Tournament,” King Hector said. “But, alas, your punishments are deserved. No war is without its consequences, and this Tournament is no different. As promised, each failed competitor will have their Grace removed.”

Jett’s stomach twisted and he wasn’t even one of the competitors being forced to march to the stage. Ominous quiet seemed to thicken the air. Jett found it hard to breathe. 

The twenty-five failed competitors were arranged in a line and forced to their knees by the Golden Guard. A few of them struggled, a few of them sobbed. Most were stiff. Their masks were stripped away, leaving a variety of faces and reactions. Fates, one of the competitors couldn’t have been older than thirteen. 

Curiosity pinned his eyes to the stage when his mind screamed at him to turn away. 

“We thank you for participating.” King Hector bowed his head in acknowledgement, though it didn’t seem like he meant it. “You have honored your fallen brethren by taking part in this Tournament of Fates. Once again, thank you.”

He nodded once, his face cold and eyes distant. It was remarkable how little Adrian could resemble his father at times. 

Then Koda strode onto the stage, decked out in all kinds of royal finery. 

Adrian sucked in a sharp breath and Jett’s head spun. Maybe the medics were right, he thought. I don’t think I’m up for this kind of stress. The world tilted but suddenly Sage’s hand was on Jett’s leg, squeezing gently, the pressure a reminder that he was alive. 

Jett exhaled slowly. 

Koda held a glass vial filled with some sort of oil and a box filled with empty bottles in the other. He dipped his gloved fingers into the oil as he approached the first competitor and then whispered something under his breath. The competitor held out his arm, eyes wide with terror as Koda drew a small line across the competitor’s wrist. 

The scream was inhuman. Jett’s hands flew to his ears and then Sage’s skinny arms were the only thing keeping him upright. He forced himself to look at the stage again, determined to remind himself what was at stake here. 

Anxiety flooded his trembling limbs as Koda set his box on the ground and withdrew a small knife. He made an incision in the competitor’s wrist and some sort of golden light trickled from the wound. Koda bottled it quickly and the competitor’s screams faded to stifled sobs. And then Koda was moving on to the next competitor. 

Jett’s chest burned and he struggled to breathe as the agonized screams erupted over and over again. Sage scooted his chair closer so he was directly at Jett’s side and Jett buried his face in Jett’s shoulder. Iron bands squeezed the air from his chest. 

There was a thump beside him and then Poppy was hissing Adrian’s name under her breath. He must’ve fainted, Jett realized as he caught the brief image of Poppy shaking a pale Adrian. If what Adrian claimed was true about sensing Graces, Jett couldn’t even begin to imagine how overwhelming this must be for him. 

It seemed like the torture would never end but after too many deafening minutes, Koda stepped off the stage, taking his box and oil with him. 

King Hector declared the end of the feast. Dismissed the remaining competitors to their rooms. A week to recover before the second Trial. Good luck.

Jett barely heard any of it as Sage ushered him back to the apartment. His gaze locked on the little girl competitor he’d noticed earlier, her limbs strewn about as the Golden Guard left the now Graceless ex-competitors to fend for themselves. She didn’t even seem to be breathing. 

“Keep going,” Sage whispered in his ear, pushing him faster. 

Adrian hobbled along between Poppy and Nakoa, his skin glistening with sweat. 

Everyone must think we’re pathetic or something, Sage thought to himself, realizing that they’d been a mess over a punishment that didn’t even belong to them. 

“You’re going to be okay, Jett,” Sage murmured repeatedly. “You’re going to be okay.”

Jett nodded numbly and let Sage guide him away. The screams echoed through his mind, never ceasing just growing louder and louder and louder until they consumed him. 

If I ever become Graceless, Jett decided, I’m going to find someone to put me out of my misery.


“Hey, Goldie,” Jett called. “Do you want to run some errands with me?” 

Sage lifted his head, glaring at Jett through bloodshot eyes. “What kind of errands? Actually, let me rephrase: will it be legal?”

“This time, yes,” Jett answered honestly, flashing an attempt at a smile. 

“All right,” Sage conceded. “But only because I have nothing better to do.” 

Sure, Jett thought. He wanted to make some sort of snarky comment about Sage wanting to spend more time with him, but he couldn’t find the energy. 

After the Elimination, Adrian had taken a sleeping draught and gone to bed. Nakoa disappeared to visit a “friend” staying nearby and Poppy left to “let off some steam”. Jett had paced back and forth before remembering it was time to pay a visit to his parents. 

Jett grabbed his jacket and Sage copied him, even donning a tiny golden scarf that brought out the caramel of his eyes. Jett tried to look away and failed miserably. 

Sage frowned, tugging subconsciously at the scarf. “Is there something wrong--”

“No, no, it’s fine,” Jett muttered, an idea flickering to life in his mind. “Just, uh, can you promise to follow along with whatever I do? Please?”

Sage’s eyes narrowed. “I thought you said this won’t be illegal.”

“It won’t be,” Jett assured him. “I want to visit my parents, okay? They’re in prison, but I’m not going to die in this Fates-forsaken Tournament without saying goodbye.”

“So why am I coming?”

“Because I can’t do this alone.” Jett’s voice cracked and he sighed. “Look, you don’t have to come if you don’t want to. I understand--”

“I’ll come,” Sage interrupted, cheeks flushing as he realized how aggressive he’d sounded. “I’ll come,” he repeated, calmer. “But why do I have to follow along with what you’re doing? What are you planning?”

Jett hated to ask this of Sage, but… 

“I want to pretend that we’re…that you care about me and that you’re working with your dad to pay off their bail.”

“Absolutely not,” Sage said. “I will not play a part in lying to your parents’ faces. Why would you even consider this, Jett? It’ll kill them when they find out that they’re not being released. Imagine how betrayed they’ll feel--”

“Okay, fine, I get it,” Jett sighed. “It was a mistake to ask this of you--”

Sage grabbed Jett by the shoulders, his eyes flashing with anger. Jett froze, fear rooting him in place. Sage seemed to realize this and dropped Jett at once. “I’m sorry,” he whispered. “I’m sorry. I just…I can’t bear to see you lie to your parents when they so obviously love you. I could only wish my parents would care that much about me, and to see you throw it away…” 

Jett swore internally. He’d forgotten Sage’s rocky relationship with his parents, and yet he’d been so quick to flaunt his own family. 

“I just wanted to protect them,” he said, softly. 

Sage nodded. “Believe me, I know what you were trying to accomplish, Jett. But that doesn’t make it right. I’m still willing to go with you and I’ll help to explain the Tournament situation to them. I pressured you into it after all. On one condition---you don’t lie to them.” 

“They’d be able to taste it anyway,” Jett said. “I just hoped it would deter them from asking any questions.”

“The only thing they’re able to do for you right now is worry,” Sage said. “Don’t take that away from them.”


None of the prison guards asked questions when Jett brought Sage with him to the gates. Jett had brought Evangeline with him before, so they probably just assumed Sage was a new lover or something. 

Not that anyone would dare refuse service to a nobleman’s son. 

Jett led Sage across the lawn and through the hallways, feeling like the world’s most miserable tour guide. At least Sage seemed slightly more enthusiastic. Or maybe he was just curious at seeing how the other half lived. 

“They’re just ahead,” Jett whispered at last, feeling like the walk had gone by all too quickly. “Last chance to turn back.”

“Of course not,” Sage said. He gave Jett a reassuring smile. “Thank you for inviting me.”

We’ll see if you’re still saying that by the end of this visit, Jett thought bitterly before stepping into range of his parents’ cell.

“Jett!” His mother’s voice---though muffled---could not contain her eagerness. “I see you brought a visitor. Do you want to get him another stool?”

“Mama, Papa,” he said. “This is Sage. He’s a…friend.”

Sage offered a shy smile. “It’s nice to meet you, Mrs…”

“Please,” Jett’s mother said. “Call me Joyce. And my husband’s name is Oren. If you’re Jett’s friend, there’s no need for formalities. Are you sure you don’t want a stool?”

Sage shook his head, splotches of color dusting his cheeks. “I’ll be fine, ma’m.”

“So,” Jett’s mother continued, her tired eyes meeting Jett’s again. “How’s the weather today?”
“It’s windy,” Jett described. “In Aecheral, the children would be swarming the streets with paper kites. The clouds are gray enough that the kites would stand out too, like little freckles. And the wind has a bite to it---enough to make a jacket necessary. You’d call it spring’s greeting.”

“And the streets?” his father asked. 

“Dead,” Jett answered, closing his eyes. “The market is half-empty on a good day---which today isn’t---and there aren’t many goods worth swiping.”

He risked a glance at Sage, wondering if he’d be reprimanded for speaking so freely of illegal actions. But Sage was listening with rapt attention, no sign of disgust evident. He seemed…intrigued. 

Jett’s mother sighed, snapping him back to harsh reality. “We’ve missed you.”

She pressed her hands to the glass and Jett’s palms rose to meet hers. His missing left ring finger stood out like a sore thumb---no pun intended. His mother winced at the sight of it. Another fate she’d failed to protect him from. 

“I’ve missed you too.” The words had never felt truer. Fates, he wished his parents were free so badly it hurt. 

“What happened to your eye?” Jett’s father interrupted, his voice dripping with fear. 

Jett grimaced, dropping his hands to fold them politely in his lap. “Would you believe me if I told you it was a street fight?”

His parents’ identical sighs told him no. 

Jett glanced at Sage for support, earning only a shrug in response. So much for support. 

“I found a way to make enough money to pay off the bail,” Jett started slowly, dropping his gaze. “I’m competing in the Tournament of Fates.”

Silence, itchy and awkward. 

“Oh, Jett.” His mother’s voice broke. “You shouldn’t have.”

Jett met her eyes, which were devoid of anger. She looked like she wanted to hug him through the glass. “You’re not mad?” he risked asking. 

“I’m not exactly happy,” his mother said. “But if the Tournament has already started, there’s nothing I can do to stop you, is there?”

Jett nodded, relief pouring over him. “We made it through the first Trial already.”

“The prize is 50,000 marks a person,” Sage explained. “And with our team, I think we might actually have a chance at winning. Your son is incredibly brave to be doing this for you.” He gave a comforting smile, his eyes filled with warmth. 

Jett’s mother flushed with color and the corners of his father’s mouth twitched upward. 

“We are proud of him,” Jett’s mother said, as though needing to defend herself. Her brow wrinkled and when she spoke again, her words were directed at Jett himself. “Jett, sweetie, never think for a moment that your father and I aren’t proud of you. We were blessed to have you as our son. I just…is there any other way to get the money? A way that doesn’t involve you putting your life on the line?”

“Mama, this is the only way,” Jett insisted. 

“If I may,” Sage jumped in,”I…My father has a lot of money. He and I don’t exactly get along, but I’d be more than happy to pay off your bail using some of his funds. If you don’t mind, that is.”

Jett felt like he’d run straight into a brick wall. His heart skipped a few beats as he spun to gape at Sage. “Sage? What are you doing?”

“You all love each other so much…” Sage looked away as he trailed off. “It’s the least I can do,” he added with more fervor. “Please. Let me help you. I can’t stand to see people who care for each other separated while people like my family have everything we could ever want. You deserve this, Jett. Let me help you.”

“I’m not a charity!” Jett protested. “I don’t want your money--”

“Jett!” his mother burst, standing abruptly. “Apologize to your friend--”

“No!” Jett spat. “He doesn’t get the right to step into our family just because he doesn’t have one of his own! I can pay off the bail by myself. I don’t need his help or his pity--”

“Jett, are you even listening to yourself?” his father asked calmly. “This poor boy is just trying to help us and you’re pushing him away.”

“I shouldn’t have offered,” Sage mumbled, hanging his head. “I’m sorry.”

“No,” Jett’s mother said. “Jett doesn’t want to impose. He’s worried about being in debt, isn’t that right, sweetie?”

No, Jett wanted to say. He really didn’t know why he was so opposed to Sage paying off the bail. It wasn’t like he needed the extra money or anything. So why did it make Jett’s gut simmer?

Because you’ve worked so hard for this, the voice in his mind hissed. He’d spent years on the streets, living meal to meal with no idea when death would wrap him in chains and drag him to the afterlife. And now Sage strolled in, offering to fix everything that Jett had worked so hard for with no struggle at all. It was … insulting. 

So he forced himself to nod, dropped his gaze to the floor, and rested his face in his hands. 

Sage hovered behind him, an unshakable presence. “It wouldn’t be imposing. I’d be delighted to make some sort of change in this awful world. But if Jett doesn’t want this, I won’t force it. We probably can win the Tournament--”

“Just do it,” Jett whispered. “That way if I die in the Tournament, at least someone will benefit from it.”

Jett’s mother began to chastise him but Sage cut her off. “What about a compromise? We’ll wait until the end of the Tournament. If our team wins, Jett can pay off the bail and in the case that we fail, I’ll still have the means necessary to provide assistance. Are you okay with that?”

It was hard to argue when Sage sounded so reasonable. 

“Fine,” Jett relented, his stomach swirling with bitter jealousy. “You can become the golden boy of my family when you swoop in and save the day.”

“Jett!” The scolding came from his father this time. “This is uncalled for.”

Something inside of Jett deflated. He curled in on himself, not brave enough to face Sage after all the nasty words he’d just said. “I’m sorry. I really am. I didn’t mean it.”

“I understand that you feel like this is your duty,” Sage whispered, crouching so he was at Jett’s level. He smelled like some sort of spice that tickled Jett’s nose. “So why don’t we make it fair? I’ll pay off the bail, and you can pay me back when we win the Tournament? You won’t be imposing because it’ll be sort of like a loan. Does that sound any better?”

Jett nodded reluctantly. “How…how soon can you get the funds?”

Sage smirked.

“Legally,” Jett clarified. “I don’t want my parents getting arrested as soon as they’re free for faking payment.”

“It’s legal,” Sage stated, but the mischievous gleam in his eyes said otherwise. “The bank is closed right now, but we can visit first thing tomorrow morning. Sound like a plan?”

Something like exhilaration sparked to life in Jett’s chest. “I’m in.”

“Great,” Sage laughed, rubbing his hands together excitedly. “I just wish we’d get to see the look on my father’s face when he finds out he’s been swindled by his own son.”



© 2022 A.L.


Author's Note

A.L.
Once again, this chapter took an unexpected turn and I'm still not entirely sure that it'll work out plot wise, so this chapter might undergo revision at some point.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on July 19, 2022
Last Updated on July 19, 2022
Tags: adventure, Grace, Fates, Fate, teen, ya, fantasy, fiction, magic, tournament, game, competition, enemies to lovers, young adult, assassin, thief, royalty, prince, priestess, death, survival, noble


Author

A.L.
A.L.

About
When I was eleven, my cousins and I sat down and decided we want to write a fifty book long series that would become an instant bestseller. Obviously, that hasn't happened yet (and I doubt it will) bu.. more..

Writing
Fatefall - 1 Fatefall - 1

A Chapter by A.L.