Jonty's Last Ride

Jonty's Last Ride

A Story by Les
"

The following was based on a suggestion in a writing course that I'm currently doing. It is based on a real encounter, with just slight embellishment, that I'd forgotten about until now.

"

9AM. A perfect summer’s day in an English coastal town. The stop for the bus to my son’s uni’ was central and handily close. I was looking forward to seeing him.


The bus was already there and I was the last passenger on. Just one seat left. The person I sat next to had to move up a little. I mumbled an apology in the way that we Brits do when we have nothing to apologise for.


It was hard to determine their gender but, from the stature, I guessed that she was female. She sat hunched, the hood of her summer anorak up and covering her face. In her lap, a large shopping bag that seemed to be moving slightly.


The bus waited a while before moving off. As I sat there, the woman’s shoulders seemed to convulse a little. I turned and asked if she was ok. As I did, a black curly head popped over the top of the shopping bag.


“No, not really” she replied but added nothing further. The dog was small and cute. I leant across and scratched its ears. The response was minimal and there was something so sad in that dog’s small dark eyes.


“His name is Jonty” she said suddenly in a voice that was small and cracked. And I found myself looking into a face equally small and pinched. Her complexion was pinker than looked healthy.


By now the bus was moving through the outskirts of town, the shops giving way to seafront houses, once grand, now a little unloved looking. “He’s lovely I said”, trying this time to rub Jonty’s cheek but still no response beyond laying his head wearily on his owner’s lap.

“I’ve had him nine years, since he was a pup. He was a rescue dog from a local home for strays.” The journey only lasted ten minutes but in that time I think I learned Jonty’s every last detail from his favourite food and toys to the time that he had a close encounter of the postman kind (the postman was forgiving and didn’t sue.)


“And now he’s pretty ill. Cancer, and the vet can do nothing more. I’m taking him to have him put to sleep.” Her voice trailed off as her shoulders shook again and tears rolled down her cheek. Any words of comfort that I might have had just wouldn’t come. “My stop” she said as she reached across to ring the bell. I could only mumble “goodbye.”

I watched her move down the street. More of a head-down shuffle than a walk.  As the bus moved away, I felt my throat tighten and the prick of tears in my eyes.


The sunshine had somehow lost its lustre and I spent the rest of the day thinking of my short-time travelling companion. I particularly imagined her return bus journey, but this time …… alone.

© 2018 Les


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Being a huge fan of the little furry canines, I am almost in tears remembering having to have my 15 year old Cori put to sleep because of his cancer. Although it made me sad, I am still glad I read your beautiful post which is so well written. ~Sharon

Posted 1 Year Ago


Les

1 Year Ago

Thanks Sharon. I still remember what inspired this piece vividly. I love pets if all types, but ther.. read more
Stunningly beautiful & full of caring emotion! I was transfixed by every word, drawn into your story while I was also remembering similar euthanasia missions during my own life over the years. You wrote this with the utmost empathy & realistic feelings. I'm really touched by this! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


Les

6 Years Ago

Thank you for this Margie. Having to part from our four legged companions is one of the saddest thin.. read more
Les, that was a very touching story and it hit home for me a little bit. I have had my dog for 10 years and she is perfectly healthy. I took her for a check-up and they told me that she had cancer and there was nothing they could do. They gave her 4-6 months to live. My dog is my whole world, I went home and cried. Its been 7 months now and she doesn't have any symptoms at all, thank God! Thanks for sharing that story!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Les

6 Years Ago

I guess we've all been in a situation like that. And when it's a creature that can't tell you how th.. read more
Donna

6 Years Ago

Your sweet! Thank you Les

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
3 Reviews
Added on March 25, 2018
Last Updated on March 25, 2018

Author

Les
Les

St Albans District, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom



About
Have always enjoyed writing. Just looking to see if I have any creativity left in me to write some fiction. more..

Writing
Daniela Part 4 Daniela Part 4

A Story by Les


Daniela Part 3 Daniela Part 3

A Story by Les