I have died a thousand times

I have died a thousand times

A Poem by Leviari
"

free verse poem

"

I have died a thousand times

in my father’s disappointed eyes.


One thousand and one this time,

killed by the hand of pride.


I counted one thousand and two 

when I watched you leave,


left a note at one thousand and three:

I hope your sorrow dies with me.

© 2019 Leviari


Author's Note

Leviari
As always, I'm eager for honest feedback (and this time I'm particularly concerned with the flow).

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Dannnnggggggggg, Laviari! I love this! I could've been satisfied with a free verse, anaphoric poem. But, of course you had to through rhyme in made it so much better! I loved (or am saddened by) the theme of this poem. VERY well written, Levariari!

James

Posted 4 Years Ago


This is a short but impactful poem. A lot of meaning in a few words. I like that and I think it definitely takes some talent to accomplish that. Nice one.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Your individuality is awesome. Thank you for bringing flavour to the site!

Posted 4 Years Ago


I like minimalistic form and precise lines. Words are like pieces of whole mosaics which make poem very complete. Meaning for me is not just suicadal note but also transformation and find new your self again. To became more stronger and open to the world. On free verse is beautiful you can find any meaning what you want. Very nice write .

Posted 4 Years Ago


Leviari

4 Years Ago

Thank you and I love your interpretation!
Well, as you can see Leviari, if you want constructive criticism you have come to the right site. Jacob and John have both given you sound advice, which it seems you used to your advantage, although I did not read the first version of this.
The brevity of your poem adds to the emotional feel of the piece. I agree with John, this reads as a suicide note...and there is nothing wrong with that...I like the idea of the count...4 steps to achieve whatever the protagonist has in mind.
I'm not sure I would consider this free verse because of the structure...there is a rhyming feel to this...even employing a bit of slant rhyme...the flow is good...I like it.

Overall...a good write.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Leviari

4 Years Ago

Hello! Yeah both John and Jacob really helped me out:) thank you for commenting!!
Firstly these couplets read as a suicide note to me. It is a sombre toned piece depicting someone reflecting the power of a father's disapointment and consequential failings. So far as flow is concerned Jacob is a master of short form minimalistic allegorical poetry. I would consider some changes thus, knowing your first language is not English and that I can only write English (poorly).

I have died a thousand times
in my father’s disappointed eyes.
(This to me is a perfect opening stanza as it says this is a theme that haunts the protagonist. The rest I would have as follows. But as Jacob advises this is YOUR poem)

One thousand and one this time,
killed by the hand of pride.

One thousand and two
when I watched you leave,

So I left a note at one thousand and three
and hope your sorrow dies with me.

I hope this is constructive.

Posted 4 Years Ago


Leviari

4 Years Ago

That's exactly the kind of critics I was hoping to get! Thank you very much. I adjusted a few things.. read more
interesting perspective...it's almost as if the first stanza is from the son's pen...and the rest from the father's....there could be disappointment of father in son that turns into disappointment of the father in himself and how he expected too much of the son...expected him to be like himself...
for flow...i might have cut a few words..the "I was" in 4th line...the "I" in fifth line...
and the "I" in the seventh and eighth lines...read a bit smoother to me with a bit of the unnecessary wording eliminated...but it is your poem...those are just suggestions, since you asked for them.
but it is a fine poem...and allows us a couple directions.
j

Posted 4 Years Ago


Leviari

4 Years Ago

I am so grateful for your review! My first draft was more similar to what you suggested, but I added.. read more
jacob erin-cilberto

4 Years Ago

'tis definitely smoother...but I already had liked it much...glad i could help a little.
j.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 3, 2019
Last Updated on May 3, 2019
Tags: free verse, death, die, a thousand times, father, eyes, pride, sadness, note, sorrow, counting, killing

Author

Leviari
Leviari

Milano, Milano, Italy



About
I guess ink and paper are my tools to cope with life. I decided it was time to challenge myself and allow my writing to move from my journals to the internet. I hope to develop my skills through som.. more..

Writing
little note little note

A Poem by Leviari



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Carl Carl

A Story by Lyn Anderson