Improve Your Putting Accuracy

Improve Your Putting Accuracy

A Story by Lewis B. Harvell
"

Here are tips on how to improve your putting accuracy in golf.

"
This article is to deliver simple golf tips that may improve your putting precision and eventually lower your putts per hole. You can drive the ball 200 yards all day long, but if you cannot make the final put you will never improve your score.
Some of the putting tips below are to help you read the green with perfection, but to help you practice getting the 'special touch' that so many professional players have.
Improving golf putting skills 
If you need work on your short putts, try to putt to a dime. This is a great game for improving focus and concentration. Another putting drill is to sink five in a row from one foot, then from two feet, then three feet, and so on. If you miss one, you have to start again. And you cannot go up in distance until you have made all five! This should occupy you until tee time. Another important factor to putting well is reading the green before starting the game. The break and the speed are two factors you will need to concentrate on. It's also a good idea to take a few putts on the practice green before beginning; this helps you judge the speed of the greens on that particular day at that particular course.
When reading a green, get behind the ball and squat. This will allow you to see the contours of the green. Also remember to look at the putt from the side; an alternate view helps you better gauge distance. Watching your partners' chips and putts is also very important. And when you go up to putt, pay attention and mentally record everything, whether good or bad. This helps your brain circuitry develop a better golfer out of you, which is what really matters in the end.
The proper putting stance 
If you suffer from topping the ball, or hitting it thin, try to get in the habit of placing your right shoulder under your chin before looking for where the ball goes. This does not mean, of course, that you will keep your head down throughout. Your head should be able to move, but your shoulder should be made responsible for bringing it up after contact.
Besides your own face (we know: it's beautiful!), you should be paying attention to the face of the club. This face is so small that few golfers realize how important it is for that face to be square to the ball throughout the swing to ensure making a correct shot. A large number of golfers do not even start the swing with the face square. Most assume that it is the top line of the club face that one should refer to in order to determine if the face is square at address. Contrary to that assumption, it is actually the bottom line of the face that determines whether the club is square or not!
Also, remember that if a player rushes the backswing, the club is likely to change position in his/her hands. Hence, you must start square and then make sure you control your swing so that you stay square.

Improving your grip
When playing golf, your grip can often make the difference between a slice and no slice; a victory and no victory; which is why it's important to improve your grip. Firstly, make sure that your grip is comfortable. Then, as you look down towards the address, you should be able to see the first two knuckles of your left hand and two V's that should have formed between the thumb and forefinger of both hands. Orthodoxly, the V's should be pointing between your chin and right shoulder. If you think the grip is too light, move your left hand a little over to the right There are also golf balls to reduce slice that helps you improve your putting accuracy.
You also need to keep the right side stable for a powerful shot, without letting this carry through to your grip. A number of golfers grip the club too tightly with the right hand, believing that they have to grip it hard in order to hit hard. This leads to unnecessary tension, aside from making you swing over the top and cut across the ball. Remember, tense muscles are slow muscles. To fix the problem, check your right side grip, arm, and shoulder tension before each swing. Light muscles are better than tight muscles, so work on a 6 or 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 of muscle tension. Clubhead speed is crucial for distance, so grip it light and hit it far!

© 2019 Lewis B. Harvell


Author's Note

Lewis B. Harvell
It is also very important to be ready for any unforeseen circumstances, especially weather conditions. The rain can knock you out of the rut, so it’s better to stock up on best golf grips for rain in advance so that it doesn’t get you out of the way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

321 Views
1 Review
Added on January 28, 2019
Last Updated on February 4, 2019
Tags: golf

Author