Breathing Faint Air

Breathing Faint Air

A Story by Academy6
"

Angie is sick of smelling smoke at night

"
Angie sat on her bed and rubbed her temples gently. The smoky air from her balcony consuming her lungs and making her dizzy. The moon's bright light shined through the window and she stared at the reflection of her picture frame. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see her husband sitting in a chair, holding a ciggarette in his hand. Her frown deepened when he wiped the lit end on the table and searched for a new one.

She couldn't help but inhale the poisened air as she sat on her bed. She tried burying her face in the blanket to keep the smell away, but it was embedded in the sheets. She covered her face with the pillow, but even so the smell still followed Angie around wherever she went.

"I need to say something." Angie whispered to herself. "I can't breath when he's smoking." Her dark eyes looked up at him again. Dark shadows covered his body leaving a silhouette in his place. The only thing visible was the faint orange light from the small spark of his cigarette. She took a painful breath and stood, taking steps toward the balcony. She walked forward and pulled her shorts down before walking out into the cold night air.

"Spencer...?" No answer came from the man. Angie sighed and tried again. "Spencer?" She said a little louder.

"Yes?" He said quietly, his voice a small whisper.

"I don't like breathing smokey air." Her voice dropped back to it's quiet voice. Spencer shifted a bit before speaking.

"Then close the door." He stated with a hint of agitation. Angie sighed and went back into her room slowly, without closing the door. She doesn't like being without him at night and doesn't appritiate her husbands lack of concern. She crawled back into her bed, pulling her hair back so she can lie down comfortably.

"It doesn't matter," she whispered quietly to herself. "I'll be-". She was interrupted by a small cough which eventually turned into a coughing fit. Once it had completely stopped, she groaned and stood from the bed. Her feet patted quietly as she made her way to her jeans and coat.

Soon, she was out the door and about to step into her car. Ryan looked at her from his seat on the balcony in confusion.

"Babe?" He asked. Angie looked up at him, an angry scowl on her face.

"I can't sleep. Call me when you're done and I can actually sleep in my room!" He raised an eyebrow at his confused wife and sighed before bringing the cigarette up to his cold lips. Angie rolled her eyes at the clueless man before getting in the car ad driving off.

"""""

Angie twirled her cold coffee with her finger and sighed. She'd been in this diner for over an hour and she still hadn't felt better. Her headache had only gotten worse when she insisted on coffee instead on water or tea. She pulled her finger from the cup and licked off the brown liquid before it dripped on the table. She rested her aching head on her hand and let out a long breath.

"Can I get you anything else, dear?" Angie looked up and smiled at the waitress that had been very patient with her all night.

"No, I'm good. Just getting ready to leave." The older woman nodded and went off to fetch the check. Angie sat with discomfort as she thought of a place to go. Nowhere really made her feel safe unless she was at home or with her husband. Yes, she is trained in self defense for those time when people are try to pick a fight with her, but in the heat of the moment, she's not sure how she would respond to a punch in the face.

Suddenly, the door to the diner opened, and she heard the waitress welcome someone. She didn't hear them respond and didnt really care as she waited for her check to arrive. But she did notice someone sit across from her, and by the smell she already knew who it was. She looked up slowly to see Spencer sitting in his chair like a kicked puppy. But this time Angie didn't give in. Hie hand went to grasp hers and she quickly pulled away.

"Nope," she said angrily. Spencer's face grew even more sorrowful. "I'm mad at you." Angie explained. The sat in silence for a while. Enough time for the waitress to come back and drop of the not very expencive check. Spencer had been staring at his lap when he spoke.
"You have every right to be." He stated. Angie was a little taken back. On rare occasions had he ever admitted to being wrong at something. She turned to look at her distressed husband and waited for him to continue. "I was being a jerk earlier. I'm so sorry if I hurt your feelings and I want you know that I love you more than you can imagine, Angie."

She looked at what her husband was wearing. Everything on him was new as if he tried to buy new cloths to mask the smell (not knowing I didn't work to well). His short black hair was wet like he had just showered and his skin was pale and unmoisturized (as usual). Also, his normally large blue eyes were red and puffy as if he'd been crying.

"I should've stopped when you asked me to. I was so stupid! If it was messing with how you were breathing, that should have been what made me stop! You shouldn't of had to leave like that. I'm so sorry Angie! I have no self control over myself anymore. All I do is just smoke my life away when I have the most perfect girl in the world still having enough faith in me that I'll stop. He stopped for a moment to wipe away a few stray tears on his face. "I don't deserve something as amazing and as kind and as special as you Angie-"

"Spencer, that's enough-"

"No! I-I don't deserve you! Or your support, and love and patience! You should have so much better than me. I'm lazy, and rude, and stupid, and irresponsible, and ingrateful, and selfish, and wish I could just die sometimes-"

"Stop it! Stop!" Angie yelled suddenly. Spencer immediacy stopped his ranting. "Don't ever say that Spencer. You are the one thing That protects me from the stupid people around us. I could never give up on someone like you. I love you so much! I wouldn't want to live my life without you." They both were standing now, staring into the others eyes. Then Spencer's arms wrapped around her shoulders and he hugged her tight.

"Thank you, Angie." The man whispered. Agile smiled and hugged him back, for once enjoying the faint smell of smoke in his jacket.

© 2014 Academy6


Author's Note

Academy6
Enjoy!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very cute, very cute indeed. (: you are great at coming up with stories with such symbolism and meaning!

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 10, 2014
Last Updated on January 10, 2014
Tags: Smoking, romance

Author

Academy6
Academy6

CO



About
The children all over the world are crying out, and the world is darkening. It has fallen into dispair. We are those children. Hear our voices. more..

Writing
Fever Fever

A Story by Academy6


Screen Screen

A Story by Academy6