Lava Floor

Lava Floor

A Story by R J Fuller
"

How to escape when gravity dictates otherwise? Isolation means truly being marooned.

"
 Hurry to the approaching vessel and take care to destroy the impending threat! Leave no witnesses, but the pirates all see him. He can't take them all away, so he might as well sit down and have a drink. Did he see the explosion? It was so bright. She might like a drink, too. Invite her over. She's smiling, but the explosion is continuing.
She opens her mouth to say something and begins singing, even louder than the explosion. Her voice is sharp, shrill and drowning out the crashes going on around them. What about his drink?
 
Gradually Thedron lost sight of the drink and the woman, and realized her now-piercing scream was all that was real. Without opening his eyes, his hand lashed out at the sound of the noise and struck the ringing alarm clock on the nightstand. He slapped the clock off the table. He'll pick it up later, he half-thought, as slowly he allowed himself to surrender once again to the influence of the pillow. His thoughts begin to submerge into swirling nothingness, compelled only by his rhythmic breathing. His striking hand was slowly reeled in from having removed the clock from the bedstand, and his fingers slid gracefully across the mattress, so smooth and soft.
Thedron desperately returned to the solemn slumber the alarm clock had so viciously disturbed, causing him to defensively strike and send it silently to the floor. Still once more, he continued inhaling and exhaling, the only movement he wanted to experience, and become lost again in his dreams.
Well, the woman with the drinks was gone, but that didn't matter. He was just interested in going anywhere that he could no longer hear the alarm clock, after it quietly hit the floor.
The thought was persisting. He knew it. Thedron thumped his finger on the mattress beside him and breathed a deep breath into the pillow, before he slowly opened his eye, the other eye so comfortably tucked into the pillow.
He stared at the top of the end table, where the clock had rested. Only his phone and a near-empty glass resided there now. His eye moved. It blinked a couple of times. He was unable to drop back off to sleep because he didn't know why the alarm clock had made no sound when he knocked it off the end table. There had been no rattle on the surface below.
He didn't feel like sitting up. He was wanting to go back to sleep. He was actually working on getting there and he reached out with the previous hand and nudged the glass to the edge. He nudged it some more. He closed his eye and gave it one final nudge.
Thedron didn't want to hear what this person had to say and he threatened the man to be silent. The man drove away without saying anything. That's the way Thedron wanted it. No one saying a word. Nothing to be heard at all. Only the balloons flying away into the bright sky, which suddenly turned dark.
The eye opened again and looked at the end table. No longer was there a glass. Was there broken shards and liquid with bits of ice mixed within upon the floor? All over the clock, he was thinking of a mess to clean up. He had heard no crash either time.  The eye glanced, and the hand withdrew once more from the end table, but now the sleep was completely disturbed.
He was having to focus on reality.
The clock and the glass were removed from the flat surface and neither gave any detection of striking the floor. Thedron was now awake and wondering why this was so. He wasn't deaf. He heard his breathing and snorting, he heard his hand dragging across the mattress. He had heard the alarm clock to begin with. Why was nothing coming off the end table making a sound?
Still somewhat asleep, Thedron began raising himself up to look over the side of the mattress, but the slowly-appearing wall was what he was seeing first. He yawned, but stopped when he saw the bedroom baseboard and continuing to move to the edge of the mattress, he saw not the tiled floor, but what appeared to be a cavernous wall. He stopped moving and stared at the surface, circling all the way down the wall that he could see, providing only the most peculiar ledge where the desk was standing on the opposite side of the room.
He ventured no further to the edge of the bed, but sat for a moment and studied all of this to make sure he was seeing it correctly.
The floor had given out over the course of the night, he deduced, so he had to be careful as he looked to see what any bridge structure there may have been going to the door.
Thedron allowed his eyes to head in the direction of the door, to see what escape may be available for him. He sat up some more, spying more of the rocky exterior beneath the doorway, then ever so cautiously cast his eyes downward, to see exactly how far this drop was, plus, if the floor had given way, he didn't want to jeopardize whatever was holding him secure on the bed.
But gradually Thedron saw what was below where the bedroom floor had been the night before. Far below the stony walls glowed a bright river of what Thedron could only deduce was molten lava, straight down, flowing liquid red. Clutching the corner of the mattress, his eyes just peering over the side, Thedron looked at his predicament. This was where the alarm clock and the glass had vanished.
Likewise, his shoes, belt and pants he had tossed in the floor as he retired for the evening must be gone as well, but the desk and the bed seemed unmoved.
Thedron darted his eyes to the end table to see how it was secured. In much the same way the desk appeared to be, the furnishing was on a small ledge also.
Now came the difficult attempt. Thedron slowly leaned his head out to see where resided the bed. Sure enough, it too was on a ledge, running the same length as a wall from the bed.
Thedron moved back upon the bed and looked up at the ceiling. Any wish to think he was imagining what he had just seen was done in by the glowing scarlet reflection in the light fixture. He remained prone upon the mattress, not wanting to move for anything.
He was definitely awake. He took a deep breath and looked about the room. The bed was against the wall on his opposite side. Thedron sat up a bit to examine other placements in the room.
On the far wall of the room, there was the window, the curtains still covering it. He contemplated which would be easier to reach, the window or the door, but he had no idea what might be out that window, and he could see the open bedroom door leading out into the hall, so door it was. He inhaled and kept his mouth closed as he pulled himself upright and clung to the headboard, just wanting to feel he was away from all ledges as much as possible.
This was when the phone rang. He had forgotten all about it. He reached for the phone still resting on the end table and picked it up.
"Hello?" he said rather hurriedly.
"Thedron!" the woman bellowed. "I have been texting and messaging you and you haven't been checking. When did you stop checking your messages? Huh? What's wrong with you? I'm almost at your place now. Just pulling in the driveway."
"Bazya, get away! Don't come any closer!"
"Don't tell me to stay away! What are you up to? You got somebody in there with you? I done caught you by surprising you so early, haven't I?"
"Bazya, something is wrong! Stay out!"
"Oh, something about to be wrong!" She wasn't listening at all.
Thedron heard Bazya pounding at the door and could make out her loud voice getting louder. She still spoke into the phone, but he could comprehend her words just as well outside in the yard.
"Bazya!" he yelled into the phone as loud as he could, to no avail. "Bazya, the ground is not stable!" he yelled to the figure outside his dwelling.
Bazya was still fussing as she pushed the window up on the bedroom. She stuck her head in and flung the curtains back.
"Are you still in bed?" she yelled.
"Bazya, don't."
She was gradually climbing into the room in the early morning darkened hours, not paying any attention to any possible disruptions in the room.
"If you got somebody in here, you are going to get it big time," she said, as she pushed away from the window to bring her other leg in.
Thedron could only stare blankly as Bazya brought the first leg down to brace herself and then she completely vanished from sight. Strangest thing was she didn't make a sound at all. She just wasn't there anymore.
Thedron stared silently. He still held the phone in his hand. He looked at it. It was silent. He let go of the phone and dropped it on the mattress. He began planning how to escape this room. 
To reach the door, Thedron had to climb off the bed and be where the end table resided. He moved his feet beside the table and then shoved the furnishing off its ledge. He had actually pushed it then thought about what was stored in there, but what's done was done. Wallet, keys, all gone. He watched the furnishing as it plunged to the molten flames, but not for too long as he felt definite vertigo taking place. He placed his bare feet on the small ledge, looking at how it was broken, crumbled. He would wonder later what might have caused this, but not now. He stood on the floor, still clinging to the headboard, not wanting to let it go.
Gasping from the knowledge of having no clue what might occur next, Thedron released the bed with one hand and reached out in the direction of the door. His hand fell short, so he permitted his foot to slowly inch outward, ever so slightly to see if he could get nearer the door. There was no improvement. It was still out of his reach. He pondered if he should release the bed and leap for the doorway, but the door was slightly ajar, and might deter his progress.
He was just about to let go of the bed and jump for the door and door frame, when he detected a slight shift beneath his foot nearest the wall. His hand still held the bed, but looking down, he stepped back to see what was occuring and as he did so, the small section where the nightstand previously rested slowly gave way.
Thedron moved back onto the bed, raising his feet off the flooring completely and upon doing so, the smaller ledge quickly crumbled and plummeted into the lava.
He remained clutching the bed, his feet still hanging over the side, looking at the bright glowing movement far below.
For some odd reason, Thedron wasn't worried anymore, or as worried. He was all but resigned to this being the way it must be. He looked about his room of his personal accumulations and regarded it as the sum of who he was. He pulled himself back on the bed and resided there, content with this isolation. He just had to think a bit, to rest, to contemplate so much.
He wondered how long this segment under the bed, or that one under the desk, or any others, might remain in place. He relaxed a bit. He wondered what time it was. The clock had gone off, so that was six in the morning. He couldn't see any daylight through the curtains and blinds. He was thinking of what would be a good chance of his jumping from the bed and making it to the door without colliding with the akimbo door too much.
Thedron looked back at the open window and wondered if there was some way he could make it across, but decided against it. He wasn't venturing toward the foot of the bed. He wanted out of this room. He would stick to his original intention and jump toward the door. He was now more determined than ever after what happened to Bazya.
Thedron gave a few springs on the mattress, knowing it wouldn't react so much like a trampoline and could potentially send him at his height into the ceiling, but he lunged for it. Two steps and he was propelled toward the door. His right arm fumbled at the door in the way, his body colliding partially with the door caused it to be pulled into his direction, much to his annoyance, but he had made it through the doorway and fell to the hall floor.
Thedron rolled over on his back, staring up at the ceiling. He ran his hand across his forehead. He didn't bring his phone, and Bazya had hers with her when she fell. And he didn't have any suitable clothes outside of his closet, which of course was still in the room. He took a few more breaths, then began standing, hauling himself up and away from the bedroom.
In the slowly illuminating morning, Thedron looked at the room he'd just escaped. He could make out shimmering reflection in a steady pattern on where the floor would be.
Thedron stood up and leaned into the doorway to turn on the light. The room filled with brightness and all was as it should be. There was a floor. Gradually, Thedron moved his foot onto the smooth, flat surface and felt the sturdiness beneath him.
He looked about the room. His phone still rested on the bed where it had bounced when he jumped. The desk was still in the corner of the room.
But the nightstand was gone. And the window was still open.
Thedron quickly dressed and grabbed the phone as he stepped out of the room. He dialed Bazya's number and received a disconnected message, as he approached the front door of his place.
He looked in his parking spot and there was her car. So whatever had happened really occurred. He wandered back to the bedroom and sat on the bed, then stretched back. His arm was still sore from striking the door, but all he could think about now was how would he explain where Bazya had vanished to, and her car was right outside his place. Who would believe he didn't know what had really happened to her?
He closed his eyes. Maybe it was all a dream. Maybe the lava floor would return and he could vanish within as well.   

© 2020 R J Fuller


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

55 Views
Added on February 22, 2020
Last Updated on February 22, 2020
Tags: lava, floor, phone, falling, trapped, confined

Author

R J Fuller
R J Fuller

Writing
ELEGANCE ELEGANCE

A Story by R J Fuller


Awareness Awareness

A Story by R J Fuller


RESENTMENT RESENTMENT

A Story by R J Fuller