Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

A Chapter by LilMissWriter17
"

October ended....November started. Florence is now home and settled again, she and Wayne have been together more but she is still worried about Sarah. What events will occur in the near future?

"
Chapter Ten; 
October ended, November started….
Leo was bursting with happiness about Christmas coming up, and Mum was bustling about, hurrying to buy Christmas presents. I wasn’t bothered about Christmas, I’d told Mum and Dad to spend more on Leo, cause well, he deserved it.
I’d been a b***h in the last few months, and yes I had blamed my hormones and got away with it, but I’d been better in the later weeks of October and early November.
Wayne had been seeing me more, which made me happier. He’d take me out to dinner, to the cinema…anything really, just to get me out of the house. I hadn’t heard anything from Michael, which I was overly pleased about, but I hadn’t heard from
Sarah either, which was worrying since I hadn’t had time to check about her again at the hospital.
I was waiting for the horrific call, that Sarah was dead, or a call from Michael, threatening me. I was waiting and waiting, everyday, but no one called, and nothing happened….
So I stopped waiting, and started to enjoy my life, and my pregnancy. I was now nearly four months, it wasn’t obvious that I was pregnant but if I pointed it out and showed someone, they could easily see the bump. Basically, I just looked like I gotten a bit fat…
I’d also stopped helping with the police, they had said that because I was now later in my pregnancy, it would be too stressful. Gladly, I agreed to stop, but maybe not for the same reasons.
I wondered if this was just a faze, as everything right now was perfect. I knew it wouldn’t last, I could feel it in my beating heart. With the luck I’d been having, why would of it suddenly changed for the better? There was no reason for it to…
I didn’t really deserve it did I? Well certainly not in my eyes anyway. I desperately needed for someone to call, it was abnormal for life to go on without anyone saying anything! I mean, what had happened to Sarah? If she was dead, I needed to know and if she wasn’t I still needed to know! Either way, I needed to see her, or find out any information. I just wanted to know that she was okay, which right now was rather doubtful.
Since I’d been out of hospital, the school had been sending me all my coursework and had said that if I kept up with it, I’d still be in with a chance of passing my exams. Mum and Dad were pleased, but they didn’t pressure, because they finally had realised what I was going through. But I still tried to do a little everyday, and send it back, so far my grades were getting better, but I wasn’t sure it would be enough to pass my exams.
I didn’t even know if I’d be able to sit my exams, cause by June I’d of had the baby, and would be rather busy. Though I knew this, I still finished up some essays and other written work, just to show that I was making an effort.
 
I’d been finishing off yet another English essay, when suddenly upon my side table, my phone vibrated against the wood. I didn’t hear at first, and then the buzzing became louder that I glanced over to see that the phone screen was flashing furiously.
I turned over the page of the many booklets spread out across my bedroom floor. I was sat against my bed, with hundreds of pillows and cushions supporting every inch of my aching body. Just as I reached out to grab my phone, the buzzing faded and I retreated back to my studies.
Five minutes later, it wasn’t the buzzing that interrupted me. My phone was now ringing, on full volume. I huffed, and hastily snatched the phone from the table, not wanting it to fade again.
‘Hello?’ I answered, my voice rather edgy.
‘Oh hello is this Florence Bridge?’
‘Yes this is she…’
‘Sorry have I called at a bad time?’ 
‘Depends what its about..’ I trailed off, a little absently.
‘Well I’m Nurse Victoria from Central London Hospital…’
Suddenly, I became fully attentive, ‘Oh hi.’ I said, a little more enthusiastically.
‘Hi Florence. I’m just calling to tell you than a certain patient has been asking for you. Sarah Martins? She gave me your number for visitor requests…’
‘Okay.’ I swallowed hard, silently solving the puzzle in my head, ‘Yeah I know her.’
‘Would you be able to visit the hospital any time soon?’
‘Um yes, absolutely.’
‘Great!’ The nurse replied brightly, ‘When are you free this week?’
‘Thursday would be good?’ 
‘Yep, Thursday will be fine. Shall we say one o’clock?’
‘That’s fine yeah.’
‘Okay, good. Right Florence, when you arrive if you just go to reception and ask for Nurse Victoria, and then the receptionist will call and I’ll come and see you okay?’
I smiled wholeheartedly, ‘Yeah that sounds good.’
‘Okay, thank you Florence. Sarah will be very happy to hear this.’
I smiled even wider, ‘Great, okay. See you Thursday, bye!’ I hung up, and breathed out heavily. Wow.
So, that was sudden. But one, at least I know that Sarah is okay, and two, that she remembers me and still wants me there for her. I suddenly feel much better about the whole situation, but then calm myself and tell my brain that I shouldn’t get my hopes up.
~~~~~~~
For the rest of the day, I wondered how I’m going to explain to Mum why I was going back up to the hospital. I considered saying that they’d called me and said that I needed a  general check up….and the other option was just telling her.
I mean not telling her everything, because I think she might just end up in hospital herself with a heart attack, but just telling her the basics….
Someone I know is in hospital, and their asking for me. The next problem is, would Mum want to come in with me? For support? This was a problem that I couldn’t seem to solve so I just crossed my fingers that she wouldn’t be allowed.
So after thinking it over, and then rethinking it again, I settled back to my coursework and by the time Mum had got home from work, I’d finished at least two essays.
‘Florence? Love, you alright?’ 
Before Mum could start worrying if I was okay or not, I jumped up from the floor making my books fly everywhere and ran downstairs to greet her. ‘Hey..’
‘Oh hello.’ She smiled, ‘How you feeling today?’ Her eyes examined me speedily before she hung up her coat and removed her shoes.
‘Fine.’ I told her with a flat tone.
‘Good!’ She replied, a little breathlessly as she hurriedly entered the kitchen. 
‘I’ve been doing some school work before you ask…’ 
‘Oh that’s good.’ She said, overly using her vocabulary.
‘You okay? You seem very…..stressed.’ 
‘Oh I’m fine love, it’s just work….don’t worry.’ She said, flapping her hand at me, forcing a smile onto her face.
I shrugged, ‘If you need help with anything…I’m still able to do things, so I can help?’
‘Oh no, it’s my problem. I’ll get it sorted, but thank you for offering.’ Her smile was still hovering upon her face. ‘I am proud of you, you know that don’t you?’ She said, after a moment.
‘No, but I do now.’ I laughed.
‘I don’t mean to be unsupportive and naggy…’ 
‘That’s okay. I’ve been a b***h, I got what I deserved.’ I said, my tone sounding surprisingly mature.
‘You’ve had a lot to think about love…’ 
I nodded, smiling. ‘Sorry anyway.’
‘Apology accepted, and I’m sorry too.’ 
I hugged her close, ‘Totally accepted.’ I squeezed my eyes shut, making a mental note that I must not cry.
‘Ah dear, what are we like ay?’ Mum slowly pulled away, and began clattering about. 
‘Yeah.’ I sniffed, and then snapped out of it. ‘So, what’s for dinner?’ 
‘Hmmm..’ Mum began to scan the cupboards, ‘How about we get a take away or go out for dinner?’
I stared at her, a little shocked. ‘But we never do that, you always say its too expensive!’
‘Well I think we deserve it! I think we need a little treat…’
I shrugged, ‘Okay, if you really fancy it..’
‘We don’t have to!’
‘No.’ I smiled, ‘I think it’ll be nice…’ 
‘Good! You can invite Wayne as well if you like?’ Mum added quietly, her eyes gleaming a little. I knew that all she wanted was to be a big happy family. 
I guess I could try….I thought to myself, it was only fair after all I’ve put her through.
‘Sure.’ I said, my voice unnaturally high, ‘I’ll ask him.’
‘Great, that’s sorted. Now which restaurant? What do you fancy?’ She softly patted my stomach, ‘Or rather what does the baby fancy?’
‘Oh Mum.’ I laughed, ‘Italian!’
‘Perfect!’ Mum exclaimed, and settled to clattering about again.
It was ten minutes later that Leo bounced through the door, after saying goodbye to someone outside. ‘I’m home!’ He called, skipping into the kitchen.
‘Did you have a good day Leo?’ I was the first to ask, ruffling his hair. ‘Get off Flo!’ He whined, moving my hand away. ‘Answer your sister Leo.’ Mum said, softly but sternly as she also ruffled his hair.
‘It was great!’
I sighed, knowing that it was only because Mum had let him walk home with his friends for the first time. ‘Were they your friends outside?’ I asked, my voice high with interest.
‘Yeah, Tom and Sam.’ Leo smiled proudly.
‘Where do they live then?’
‘Down the road I think! What we got for dinner Mum?’ 
‘We’re going out for dinner.’ Mum explained, getting a cup out and some apple juice from the fridge for Leo. ‘Me and Flo decided that we all deserve a treat.’ She glanced at me, smiling. ‘So we’re all going to dress up and go out for a lovely family meal! Wayne might come too!’
Leo didn’t exactly seem the most enthusiastic about the plans we’d made. ‘Why? Can’t we just have pizza?’
‘You can still have pizza, we’re going to the Italian.’
‘Ooh cool!’ Leo suddenly cheered up, and then disappeared out of the kitchen, running up the stairs.
‘Do your homework before you get on that computer Leonardo!’ Mum had suddenly ran out to the hall and roared up the stairs. She quietly walked back, and I laughed under my breath. ‘Something funny dear?’ Mum turned round to face me, raising an eyebrow on her nonchalant expression.
‘Oh no, nothing.’ I forced the smile out, running away upstairs and bursting into giggles before she could notice. What a wonderful person she is, absolutely unbelievable.
I knocked lightly on Leo’s bedroom door, and waited for him to reply in any way. ‘What do you want Flo?’ He answered quietly. I opened the door, to see him sat at his computer which was recently new because his school had downloaded a new schooling system on the internet. But to be honest, I’ve never seen him use it, only to play video games and such.
‘Leo. Mum told you to start on your homework..’ I walked further into the room, and stood by his chair. ‘Do you want some help and we’ll get it done faster?’
‘I’m not six year old Flo, go away!’ Leo shoved his arm at me, which preferably was a sign for me to leave. ‘Fine, don’t say I didn’t ask.’ I quietly shut the door, and retreated back downstairs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I helped Mum tidy up the living room, and the kitchen, then we sat together at the kitchen table, chatting and waiting for Dad to arrive home.
‘So, how have you been feeling? Pregnancy wise?’ Mum asked, her voice soft but enthusiastic.
‘I was sick this morning, and my back is starting to ache…’
‘Aw. Well, I’m sorry to say it is going to get worse.’ Mum said, sipping her coffee.
‘I know.’ I sighed, ‘But their worth it..’ I replied, smiling down at my stomach.
‘They? Its not twins is it?’ Mum glanced at me, her expression full of alarm.
‘No!’ I laughed, ‘I just don’t know if it’s a girl or a boy and I don’t want to call it ‘it’…’ 
Mum rolled her eyes playfully at me, ‘You are special Florence.’ 
‘In a good way or a bad way?’ I questioned.
‘Good of course!’ She exclaimed, as if I was stupid to even ask the question.
As I picked up my cup to sip my tea, I heard Dad hurrying into the hall, and then the door slammed. ‘Hello? I’m home..’ Dad called out, a little breathless.
‘Alright Dad?’ I smiled, standing up to hug him.
‘Fine thanks sweet, you alright Claire?’ He kissed her quickly, ‘So what’s this big emergency then?’ He finally pushed the words out.
‘Emergency?’ I laughed, and then looked at Mum. ‘What emergency?’
‘Nothing nothing! I just said that to get you out of work!’
‘Claire, is that really necessary? You know I’m very busy at work!’ Dad explained, his tone a little irritated.
‘Sorry, but I just wanted us all to go out for a meal together, and you haven’t been home early for ages. I’m sure they won’t hassle you.’
‘Yeah, you’re right. Okay, well that sounds good.’ Dad finally agreed, his expression relaxing. ‘So where we off to?’ Dad breathed heavily, sitting down at the table as Mum poured him a coffee.
 ‘Italian.’ I grinned, ‘The baby is craving it!’ I giggled.
‘Really?’ Dad looked baffled.
‘it’s a joke…well it might be! But Leo wants a pizza, and Flo said Italian, so why not?’
‘Yeah, Italian sounds lovely. Ah thank you.’ He grabbed his coffee as soon as Mum had set it down, and sipped it. ‘Ah, I needed that.’
‘Busy day?’ Mum returned to the table.
‘Claire, it’s always busy. You know that.’ He grinned at her.
‘Well you know, I was just asking.’ Mum said, ‘Oh Flo? Did you ask Wayne about tonight?’
‘Um, no I haven’t.’ I said, ‘I wasn’t sure if you all wanted him to come….I mean…’
‘Florence, he’s the father of your baby…of course you’re allowed to invite him!’
‘We don’t have anything against him love…’ Mum and Dad smiled with encouragement, and I suddenly felt a wave of difference…Mum and Dad were happier than I’d ever seen them. I was so happy they’d finally realised how happy Wayne made me, and they’d accepted it. 
‘Okay.’ I said quietly, ‘I’ll go ring him now.’
‘Oh! Invite Eve too!’ Mum suddenly chirped as I left the kitchen. ‘Really?’ I called back, with doubt.
‘Yeah, it’ll be lovely.’ 
‘Okay…’ I said, nervously. Wayne and Eve? I mean, not that I don’t want them to come but wouldn’t that be awkward? Mum and Eve haven’t always been exactly best friends. Hmmm, maybe they could start now?
With a little more confidence, I climbed the stairs and went back into my room. I began to tidy up my school books and papers that were scattered across the floor, and placed them on my bed. My eyes began to wonder, where the hell did I put my phone?
After five minutes of searching my room, including underneath my bed and in my bed, and in all my draws and even in my wardrobe, I’d given up. I sat down on my bed, and sighed heavily, where the hell did I put it?
I quickly walked to the door, and called down the stairs. ‘Mum? Have you seen my phone? I can’t seem to find it…’ I looked back into my room, frowning.
‘No love, I haven’t…’ Mum called back, ‘Are you sure you’ve looked everywhere? Is it in a jeans pocket or a jacket or something?’
‘I don’t think so…’ I mused, trying to remember when I had it last.
I walked back out of my room, and knock on Leo’s door. ‘Leo? Did I leave my phone in there with any chance?’
‘Nope! Leave me alone.’
I rolled my eyes, ‘Thanks a lot!’ I huffed, ‘Where the hell is it?’ I mumbled to myself. 
I stood in the landing for a few minutes and then to my own relief, it started ringing. I hurried into my room, and there it was, sitting on my side table. I stared at it, completely and utterly baffled. How the how did it get there?! It wasn’t there five minutes ago, I frowned as I walked towards it, picked up and moved it about between my hands, just to make sure it was my phone…
Nervously, I turned around and examined my room with narrowed eyes. Don’t be so silly! No one is hiding in here, no murderous….crazy person… I breathed out heavily, because I knew that I didn’t believe my own words.
I was completely kidding myself. Someone was in here, or is in here. Someone moved my phone, and that person is making me feel like some crazy person right now!
I snapped out of it, and told myself that I was being completely stupid. I closed my door, and slowly walked back down stairs, looking back at my door with every step I took. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


© 2012 LilMissWriter17


Author's Note

LilMissWriter17
Not edited :) Enjoy!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

very nice kinna spooky but i really enjoyed it sorry took so long havent had the chance to read your work as of late!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

381 Views
1 Review
Added on January 23, 2012
Last Updated on January 23, 2012


Author

LilMissWriter17
LilMissWriter17

United Kingdom



About
Hi! I'm Jess, i'm 19 :) I love reading, writing and drawing :) My dream is to be a published writer, I love writing, it is my passion and I'll never give it up! :) My favourite authors include JK Rowl.. more..

Writing