I Am What I Am

I Am What I Am

A Story by Tales From the Mad Cafe

~taps nails against the hilt of a katana~

I think that there are things that one is not meant to understand, things that one must simply accept, things that one must simply realize that are and not try to comprehend or change them.

 
I am attempting to do this very thing, understanding the what and not the why, but it is.....

Difficult.

See, I am a woman that craves knowledge, answers to questions that some might say should remain unanswered. Yet when a puzzle presents itself, I am all too eager to fit the pieces together and when I cannot I get miffed.

Yes, miffed be the word.

Not mad, not angry so much as frustrated. See, instead of just enjoying the ride, quite often I long to know the destination- especially if the journey is fraught with twists and turns and I cannot clearly see the path.

That is a flaw of mine that I do hope you will understand and be patient with. It is my innate feline curiosity and need to know a thing when perhaps I do not yet need to know that bogs me down.

I am working on that.

Alas, the questions bubble in the brain until they ooze out the orifices, burning and itching, needing relief!

Ah! I am a hopeless immortal am I not? One would think after so many centuries I would learn.

But....

I am Kiernan MacLiedrydd of the Clan MacLiedrydd- born in 526 AD in the keep of Emain Macha. Priestess to Morrigan, trained to battle, I fell when the Nialls attacked and decimated the keep, taking everything dear to me.

Everything but my life.

I am Celt.

Patience is not one of our virtues and I doubt it ever will be no matter how diligently we strive toward that goal.

~leans forehead against butt of hilt~


The day I was reborn Immortal, cursed, some say blessed [what a farce], one would think I would have learned a bit of patience. One would think I'd content myself to walk the world alone, keeping to myself when the pain of many lost loved ones became too much to bear, yet I still crave contact, answers, knowledge about myself and my kind.

So, til the answers present themselves and until those who have them choose to reveal them, I will wait.

But not patiently.

Not so willingly.


~smiles, drawing the blade an inch from the sheath~
 


And do not be surprised if a little battle comes your way....

 

 



Copyright ©2009-2010 Spiritwind Studios Ltd

 

© 2011 Tales From the Mad Cafe


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You are quite an incredible writer, and I enjoyed this piece greatly. I loved the character and the thought that even an immortal can't find time for a little patience, makes me feel less upset when I hit myself for not being a little more patient (very much a virtue).

"So, til the answers present themselves and until those who have them choose to reveal them, I will wait."

I have many answers for you, ole (un)grateful one.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nice short! It does feel as if you're setting the scene for something larger, but as the piece is itself, it's an interesting character sketch. The idea of a Celt reborn into immortality from the era of Morgan makes me wonder how this being came to be immortal. Was it something she was born with or did she do something magical with Morgan...interesting concept.

...and of course, how did the Immortal Celt come into possession of a katana.

Good work. I'd be interested in reading more should you add on.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

@Amanda - do tell ;)

@ David - indeed it is not :/



Posted 12 Years Ago


impatience and immortality, not necessarily a good mix!

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are quite an incredible writer, and I enjoyed this piece greatly. I loved the character and the thought that even an immortal can't find time for a little patience, makes me feel less upset when I hit myself for not being a little more patient (very much a virtue).

"So, til the answers present themselves and until those who have them choose to reveal them, I will wait."

I have many answers for you, ole (un)grateful one.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

many thanks, dear Bard :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


An intriguing piece, almost a prologue of sorts to something much larger. This presents a peek behind the curtains of the mind of your immortal warrior woman, the barest look at the emotion and apparently violent turmoil she faces. Nicely done...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 13, 2011
Last Updated on July 13, 2011

Author

Tales From the Mad Cafe
Tales From the Mad Cafe

About
"I need no Harvard-bred shrink- my therapy is my verse...." This is a collection of odds and ends, finished and unfinished, short, long, wide, and tall tales. All are written by me, Lilith, and .. more..

Writing