Benevolence

Benevolence

A Chapter by Meradee

She was afraid of him, Garrett realised as he watched her stare down at her lap, but that was to be expected. However, not even their light banter had been able to steady her hands. He felt an odd urge to comfort her, tell her that it really would be alright, that as soon as her boyfriend agreed to his terms, she could go, no matter how untrue the statement was. According to the original plan she would be used as leverage for several other ventures. It was the purpose behind kidnapping a woman connected to such powerful people. He wanted to build and empire, and so he would, with her help.

It had been what he had dreamed about for years. Seeing men make something out of themselves from nothing, rising up out of the dust to become great people. That was how he wanted to be viewed as. Someone fierce, feared, yet appreciated, sought after, and powerful. After all, that was the great undying search that had plagued man-kind from the very beginning. The search for power. It had destroyed some, created others, and benefited society. He was going to be the next great leader, and nothing, not even a pretty face would stand in his way. However, if she was willing to rise with him to the top, he would have no objections.

* * * * * * * * *

The night was dark, pitiless, merciless, and scary. She had never really been a fan of the dark, not when she knew there were things lurking around while she was vulnerable and helpless. It was even worse now, Caer thought as she contemplated the heavy metal shackle on her leg. It was just long enough to allow her to use the toilet in the corner of the room-much like a prison cell-and kept her fairly close to the cot.

The room contained only a small cot, which was bolted securely to the floor, the toilet, and a chair, also bolted to the foor. It was small and impersonal. She felt like a dog in a kennel, abused and neglected. In between the toilet and the cot, a small window allowed her a small view of a ten foot yard and then woods. Deep beautiful woods cast in shadow by the clouds that were threatening to burst. If I can get out of here and into those woods...

The thought was quickly banished from her mind. After Garrett had left her alone she had check out the length of the chain, tested it's strength, and tested the strength of the window. She found no opportunities for escape through those routes.

At one point in her life, Caer had thought it might be terribly romantic to be kidnapped by a handsome dark stranger, to find love behind the thick facade he had thrown up. Those times had been when she was in high school, when odd renditions of Indians had come into play. As practical jokes the boys had kidnapped the girls at random intervals for whatever reason. Whether it was a cute way to ask someone to a dance ora birthday surprise it had been all fun and games then. She had enjoyed it, and had always felt as though she could escape with ease if she really wanted to.

Now, however, having felt the cold, unforgiving steel of handfuffs, being thrown into a trunk for hours and having her mouth duct taped shut, she didn't find it romantic in the least. Reading Nancy Drew as a girl she had thought it would be easy to release yourself from ropes or a gag. All it takes is a few twists of the wrist, and rubbing your head against something to get it off, she had assumed in all of her naivete. How untrue those assumptions had turned out to be!

All she wanted now was someone to hold her. Someone she could trust, someone who was willing to drop everything they had planned just for her. When I get out of this mess, she promised herself, staying optimistic, forcing herself to use when instead of if, I'm going to find me someone who will do just that!

Caer forced back the tears as she looked out the window at the brewing storm, her emotions echoing the chaos raging outside, just waiting to be unleashed.



© 2012 Meradee


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this. Really, the description in every sentence, just enough. It drew me in. An excellent chapter.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 18, 2012
Last Updated on January 18, 2012


Author

Meradee
Meradee

New York, NY



About
Okay guys, after nearly two years of being dormant, I've decided to completely re-vamp my account here. I'm going to try and be as active as possible and post things as much as I can. I will tell .. more..

Writing
Beginning Beginning

A Chapter by Meradee


Trapped Trapped

A Chapter by Meradee