Perspective

Perspective

A Story by LimitlessCoffee
"

Pain is subjective.

"

I have struggled, haphazardly, through depression, anxiety, eating disorders, and suicidal thoughts. Those who know this about me commend me for my strength and my perseverance. I never saw myself this way. Rather, I give credit to those around me- for support, advice, and their presence.

 

It's selfish.

 

It's the easy way out.

 

I think back to my ex-boyfriend who hung himself, and refuse to see him this way. The media portrays suicide as weak. Those who like me who made it through are praised as strong. Our stories are told as victories. The problem with this is that we put the memories of those who did kill themselves at risk. How do we view them? Weak? That negates their experience and their pain.

 

It is the same thing as comparing our experiences to others. Would you tell someone who is dealing with the loss of a pet: "Well it could be worse. It could have been a person." ? I hope not. Their pain is REAL. It as real as the person dealing with the loss of a friend. Our feelings are subjective and no one should tell us how much we are supposed to feel them.

 

When we cast suicide as being weak or the easy way out, we ignore the magnitude of their pain. What sends some people over the edge is the not the same as others but that does not make them weak. Pain is subjective and we can't judge because we won't ever know, because we are not the ones feeling it.

© 2016 LimitlessCoffee


Author's Note

LimitlessCoffee
I do not believe suicide is an acceptable response to pain. I only want to change how we perceive loved ones who are gone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I've always felt it takes a great amount of strength to want to physically end your life. I've never understood why it is looked upon as a weakness, or a way out. Pain can be incapacitating, and there's only so much a person can take - of that I believe.

May you continue toward better days. And welcome to the WC!



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LimitlessCoffee

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I see your point, though, I think there is a danger in saying there is strength in suicid.. read more



Reviews

I've always felt it takes a great amount of strength to want to physically end your life. I've never understood why it is looked upon as a weakness, or a way out. Pain can be incapacitating, and there's only so much a person can take - of that I believe.

May you continue toward better days. And welcome to the WC!



Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LimitlessCoffee

7 Years Ago

Thank you! I see your point, though, I think there is a danger in saying there is strength in suicid.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
1 Review
Added on October 5, 2016
Last Updated on October 5, 2016
Tags: rant, suicide, perspective, subjective, pain, emotion, perseverance, strength

Author

LimitlessCoffee
LimitlessCoffee

IN



About
I would like to use this place as somewhere to put my thoughts- thoughts I want to share. All feedback is welcome- agreements and disagreements. more..