Lock and Key: The Ring

Lock and Key: The Ring

A Story by Beth Lindsay
"

A High School detective smalls a small case of a missing ring before she goes home for the day.

"

“I Know you are the one that wrote that note!” A boy screamed into another boy’s face. “Give me back my girlfriend’s ring, else!”

“I told you already! I don’t give a damn about that snot of a girlfriend of yours! Why would I steal her ring from your bag! And why would I leave a ransom note at that?”

Locket overheard the dispute on her way out the door. She followed their voices into an empty class room. Her friend Adam Butler followed her, worried that she may make the situation worse.

“You are the only one that knew about the ring!”

“Hmmm?” Locket leaned on the door frame, crossing her arms. Butler stood on the other side of hers. “Someone took your ring for ransom?” She smiled with amusement. “Animals just keep getting greedier and greedier by the second don’t they?”

“What do you want, Locket?” The accused boy snapped.

“May I see the note, Cole?” Locket walked over to the vitcom. He handed her the note.

“It was written yesterday. I went to go meet them, but he never showed up.” Cole glanced at the other boy with great hate.

“‘I have you’re ring. Meet me at the library after school.’” Locket read it out loud. She smiled as if she had won the lottery.

“Shouldn’t you ask around who saw the person that wrote the letter?” Butler asked in annoyance.

“Why should I when he is standing right here!” Cole pointed to the boy. The boy tensed up in anger.

“I told you--” Locket wasn’t even listening to them. She was more preoccupied with cleaning out her bag.

“Ah! Here it is!” She pulled out a baseball. She tossed it in the air a couple times.

“Where did you get that, Locket?” Butler asked, rather annoyed.

“I found it outside during gym.” She smiled as she continued to toss it. “You play?” She asked the accused boy. He nodded in confusion. “Catch!” She quickly tossed the ball at him. The boy caught it in his left hand. Locket smiled a smug smile.

“This isn’t the time to have a game of catch! I want my ring back, Mike!” Cole snapped.

“Mike isn’t the one that took your ring.” Locket announced. Everyone looked at her in confusion.

“It could only be him!” Cole protested.

“He couldn’t possibly have done it.” Locket insisted. “When did you receive the ransom note?”

“Third Period, It was left on my desk when I got up to go do something.” Cole stated.

“I figured as much.” She smiled.

“You know who it is, Locket?” Butler. asked.

“Well of course I do! This is I, Emily Locket Kiens, we are talking about. I was born for the soul purpose to know.” She flashed him a smug glance. Butler just sighed, knowing he shouldn’t have had asked. “I have this case under Lock and Key,”

She walked hastily out  of the classroom, followed by the three boys. They all crossed the building, through the maze of hallways, and found themselves at the lunchroom. The group walked in and stopped abruptly. With a smug smile, Locket snapped her fingers, “I present to you fine, uneducated boys, the girl that has the ring.”

They looked in shock at the girl sitting on the table in front of them. She moved nervously as she noticed Cole standing behind Locket. “Umm, Cole, your ring--”

“Why Angel? Why would you of all people take that ring? Are you really that poor that you take a girl’s birthday present for ransom! ” He asked bitterly.

“I didn’t take it! You dropped it yesterday during lunch!” She pleaded.

“Why didn’t you give it back to me then!” He growled.

“Because Natalie was with you and--”

“And you didn’t want to ruin the surprise for her.” Locket finsihed. Angel nodded.

“Still, I came here yesterday and you weren’t here like you said you’d be!” Cole proceed.

“She got injured during fourth period gym.” Locket explained.

“Can you just give him the ring and get this over with.” Butler sighed. “I want to go home.”

“I--I put it in Natalie’s locker before forth today.” Angel laughed nervously. Before Cole could blow a fuse, Angel continued. “I didn’t want her to think you forgot about her birthday and I felt bad that because of me she didn’t get her present, so I put it in her locker.”

Cole sighed in defeat. “Did she say something about it?” He asked.

“She said she thought it was super romantic.” Angel smiled.

Mike looked at Locket in awe. “So how did you know it was Angel?”

“On the letter there are smug marks, meaning whoever wrote it was left handed. They also used the wrong ‘your’. I could tell it wasn’t you because you caught the ball with your left hand, meaning you're right handed. Also, there is only four in our grade that is left handed, one being myself. So judging by who had third period English with bad grammar and left handed, it could have only been Angel. That will be Twenty-five dollars!” She smiled innocently.

“Twenty-five?” Cole cried out. He opened his mouth to protest but saw the warning glare on Locket’s face. In fear, he paid up. “That was the last of my paycheck this week.”

“Come with me, Butler. Time for some Pocky and Ice cream!” Locket cheered. Butler sighed.

“You should really watch your diet.” He commented as they left the school.

© 2015 Beth Lindsay


Author's Note

Beth Lindsay
This is just a short little story that I wrote for class, so its far more simpler that I my taste, but I think its okay. Opinions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It is great !! Good writing skills !!


Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 9, 2015
Last Updated on December 9, 2015
Tags: Detective, ring, baseball, ransome

Author

Beth Lindsay
Beth Lindsay

NE



About
I am a college student, studying to become a writer. My desired career is in graphic novels, but I also enjoy writing short fiction and poetry. Aside from my writing ambition, I paint/draw, read, and .. more..

Writing
A Story A Story

A Chapter by Beth Lindsay


Spelled out Spelled out

A Chapter by Beth Lindsay