Needs Repair

Needs Repair

A Poem by Lipstick_Lesbian
"

My grandfather, Aaron Shapiro, used to carry my poetry with him in his pockets wherever he went. The night he died, I thought I would never write again.

"
The sound of his voice tipped me off
That something in the universe had broken.
As reality shattered
Scattering sharp shards in every direction
One of them nicked my father's vocal chords
Because my father
The public speaker
The university professor
The speech and debate national champion
His voice 
cracked.
"I'm so so--cough--rry.
My love, he didn't make it."
Then
Another crack
Plastic striking linoleum
Broken batteries and buttons
My head and my heart
Hitting the cold hard floor.

© 2012 Lipstick_Lesbian


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"Scattering sharp shards in every direction
One of them nicked my father's vocal chords"

I really thought this hit home. The allusion to a terrorist bomb and its traumatic lasting memories is very effective in conveying the horror and sadness of the death.

Hope my poem "Elders" didn't bring back too many bad memories!

You end it well too. "Plastic striking linoleum" makes me think that there's something that becomes artificial in us when a loved one dies, if just for that split second.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Nicely written and I truly felt every word, thanks for sharing..

Posted 10 Years Ago


What a wonderful, heartfelt description of how earth shattering the death of a loved one really is. Something in our universe does break with loss, and it takes time to put the pieces back together. I'm glad you did write again!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


The feelings exhibited in this poem has been well mentioned. Thank you for your sharing. A good write. With wishes.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The pain here is intense. One of those moments when there seems to be no redemption in this cold, cruel universe. A deeply personal poem this. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Oh... wow....
I absolutely loved this, enjoyed reading it to the very last word. I had to read it twice, it was that good. I loved the title linked with the "As reality shattered
Scattering sharp shards in every direction" and his voice crackling. You kept the message alive, with beautifully constructed and chosen words. Well done, gorgeous :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


Descriptive and illustrative, with a precise and evocative choice of language which is very effective. The devastation and destruction of a personal moment in tragedy is clinically conveyed in this poem. An imaginative and effective piece of writing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I guess I sorta live under a rock . . . What bombing is everyone talking about in these reviews?

Posted 11 Years Ago


A really fine piece of writing, well observed with a high degree of emotional power,and what I think is very well done is that although it is autobiographical it is not obscure, but transports a moral message that is universal. Like especially the vocative quote, and the whole tempo. Good literature.

Posted 11 Years Ago


"Scattering sharp shards in every direction
One of them nicked my father's vocal chords"

I really thought this hit home. The allusion to a terrorist bomb and its traumatic lasting memories is very effective in conveying the horror and sadness of the death.

Hope my poem "Elders" didn't bring back too many bad memories!

You end it well too. "Plastic striking linoleum" makes me think that there's something that becomes artificial in us when a loved one dies, if just for that split second.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Tim
You brought a tragic event to life and we all feel the shock from your choice of words. A riveting and very sad piece.

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

646 Views
17 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 3, 2012
Last Updated on May 3, 2012

Author

Lipstick_Lesbian
Lipstick_Lesbian

Los Angeles, CA



About
Fierce femme with a fabulous fiancée. No photos or fonts here. Just words. [Check your homophobia at the door. It's all love, baby.] more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Succubus Succubus

A Poem by Muse