A Man of Distinct Honor

A Man of Distinct Honor

A Story by Lisa R Taylor, Author
"

Last words for my Grandfather

"

A Man of Distinct Honor

 

So few stand out as a distinct personality but I grew up with such a man and January 5, 2012 the world was less one.  He was no hero to all but to some a hero none the less. He lived life in quiet resolve and with respect for all individuals no matter their past sins.  He never stood on front lines but always gave quiet thought for those who did.  He wasn’t a man of many words but when he spoke the words meant a great deal. He was a man of laughter and love but never had to voice either, it was obvious.  His family values produced future generations of strong and hardworking members that carry on those values to this very day.

His name is Willard Taylor and he was my grandfather.  When I think back (more now than ever) I think of the lessons he taught, lessons like: how silence is golden especially when you must consider an outcome, why forgiving is essential in life, and why family is so very important.  Then I think about the simplicity of this wonderful man and those lessons he so tenderly passed to his younger generations.  Lessons of the good life: How to bait a good hook, where to watch bears, walking through the vast timbers to enjoy an outing to the fullest, sunsets and sunrises, the early bird really does get the worm, and a smile to brighten a sad day.

So; as I sit here in Alabama (so far away from saying my good-byes) I think about my grandfather and those values he instilled and far more then I can write in a small article of gratitude.  For I am truly grateful that my life consisted of such a man who’s values taught my mother, who passed to me, I passed to my sons, and they now pass to their children.  This man with my grandmother, long passed away, gave root to a family that loves and who have the strength to overcome obstacles set in the day to day thing we call life.

I’ll try not to cry much grandpa for you have lived a long and strong life. Instead, I will take a walk with you today and speak with you of simpler times. I will consider more carefully how I speak and how to forgive.  I will walk to the river bank and bait a hook for you then we will watch the sunset so we can rise early for another day bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. Finally, Grandpa, I will close my eyes and give quiet thought to all those who suffer in the day and then say a soft prayer that God permit you to say hi to Grandma, Uncle Peanuts,  and mom along your way for all of us left here to say �" Good bye.  WE love you Grandpa and you will be missed.

Most Somberly;

Lisa

© 2012 Lisa R Taylor, Author


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Beautiful Lisa, well said. My condolences to you and your family. Revisit those memories, and keep your grandfather's lessons and his spirit alive.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very moving piece. I could feel the love and respect you carry for your grandfather. It sounds like he was indeed a grandfather to cherish. And you do that well here.

I have no writing advise for this. It speaks well as it is.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

327 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 6, 2012
Last Updated on June 6, 2012

Author

Lisa R Taylor, Author
Lisa R Taylor, Author

Dothan, AL



About
This video speaks loudly for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUdj7XGOE8M It is my journey. more..

Writing