Red Queen: Chapter 1- A Day To Remember

Red Queen: Chapter 1- A Day To Remember

A Story by Scarlet Larn
"

My version of Alice on Wonderland. It’s about a girl named Quinn Abraham who discovers that she is the Red Queen, after being whisked away (on her wedding day) to ‘The Land of Wonder”.

"

Quinn Abraham, with her bouncy curl’s, pale white skin and sweet disposition, she is seems to be very ordinary lady of 21. With ordinary child hood, ordinary education and raised by and ordinary family, everything was perfectly organised around her and went according to plan. By now she was most certainly sick of ‘ordinary’. She wished for something different, for something exciting, to go on an extraordinary adventured and fall madly in love with the man of her dreams......

But, unfortunately it seems she is BOUND by the chains of misery to ORDINARY.

She felt her life, was already over, with her engagement and wedding already planned, she felt that there was no escape from her world of grey.

“This dull world of shades is not where I belong...”

No matter how much, she cried out or complained, there was nothing for her to do as the clouds rolled over and shadowed her dreams.

She there she was, standing in her white gown and her brown locks pinned back and platted in front of the mirror, “The first day of the rest of your life my dear.” Her mother said to her proudly.

But to Quinn it felt like the end.

“What a wonderful white wedding you shall have.” Her mother added.

“What if I’m not ready?” Quinn said looking at her Mother with a saddened expression.

“Oh my darling, of course you’re ready,” her mother said dusting the last of her curls from her face and placing the vale over Quinn’s face, “Now chin-up, it is your wedding day after all.” And with that she passed Quinn her bouquet of flowers.

With the bride now ready. Pianist started playing his piece along with the violin and cello player and the ring bearer, flower girl and bridesmaids were sent out. Quinn waited patiently behind a set of large white doors. Just waiting. Scared, nervous and even frightened or what lay behind the doors.

It was now Quinn’s turn, she heard the song ‘Here Comes the Bride’ through the cracks of the doors. It sounded bitter to her ears.

The doors were opened and Quinn was slightly shocked. She paused for a moment unable to move. She saw the scene before her.

The church was done up and looked amazingly beautiful, with thousands of white roses placed all over the room, with a long white carpet leading all the way up to the altar, where she could she David standing, his golden hair shadowing his eyes. He was smiling.

It wasn’t as if, Quinn didn’t like David, we was a handsome kind young man. But she didn’t love him; she knew that he didn’t love her either. They were both roped into the whole thing. They were to be forever bound in “Holy Matrimony”.

Her cousin, sitting in the church seats closets to Quinn coughed, looking at Quinn with a shocked expression. She realised she was still standing at the door. Quinn quickly started walking towards the altar, but her Mother signalled to her to slow down.

Quinn slowed almost to a stop, and took a deep breath; she looked down briefly and looked back up with her chin held high and a practiced smile and expression, as to not disappoint anyone.

She walked, almost gliding to the isle with her long dress flowing behind her. She kept her eyes fixed on the altar as she came closer and closer to it. Even though she was about half way now, that end seemed so far away.

She started to look around the church, seeing her smiling relatives and in-laws. They looked so happy, so proud... But Quinn started to feel sick in the stomach, this felt so wrong.

Quinn looked at the beautiful roses, the only thing in the room that eased her queasiness. But, something looked odd, about one particular rose that Quinn started to approach. It... It started to have a small droplet of red form on the end one of the petals. Got bigger and suddenly dropped, staining the white carpet.

At that same moment, the music suddenly came to a halt. Everyone gasped and looked over the left where the musicians stood. They were bent over, the pianist and cello, collapsed on their instruments and the violist dangling with his arms dangling violin still in hand. They suddenly snapped back into place and started playing very hearty, yet distorted tune. The three of them had wicked smiles on their faces and looked directly at Quinn. 

They started to sing a strange yet familiar song:

“We’re painting the roses red, we dare not stop, or waste a drop, so let the paint be spread...”

At that moment, all the roses began to bleed red paint, becoming soaked, with it dripping onto the once white carpet.

“Oh, we’re painting the roses red...”

“We’re painting the roses red,” Voice chimed from behind Quinn.

She quickly spun around to see her great aunt and she looked in horror at her once dead fur hat. It was Cheshire cat, curled up in a ball a top her aunt’s head. Its head poked up smiling at Quinn.

“What?!” Quinn said stunned, she lifted her veil, to see what was happening more clearly.

The Cheshire cat’s smile did not fade, he started to giggle and his body started to disappear and his head roll around in the air.

Suddenly the doors of the church burst open and flamingos came fluttering in through the doors.

“Anyone for a game of crochet?” A voice rung form behind the flock of flamingos, a small woman wearing a large dress covered in red hearts stepped from behind the cloud of feathers, with a flamingo slung over her shoulder.

People immediately started to panic and scream.

“Anyone for tea?!” Shouted a talking hare, hanging from the chandelier, he sat up right and looked corruptly at Quinn and laughed. Throwing a ceramic tea cup towards her. She quickly ducked, with the cup just skimming her head, and smashing behind her. The hare continued to throw more dinning wear at everyone else, laughing as he did.

Everyone went into frenzy, clambering out of their seats and screaming. One lady began to shriek, with her hands pressed to the sides of her face in shock. Quinn turned around to face her still lying on the ground. The woman head began to swell, and literally grew. When with one last scream her head burst into cards. One such card landed on Quinn’s face, she lifted it off her face and held it up. It was a joker.

Other people began to scream and shriek, their heads bursting into confetti, sparkles and cards. Things were getting ridiculous.

Quinn got up, ducking from the flying ceramic plates and started to head closer towards the altar. She suddenly tripped and fell over. She looked behind her to see a small white rabbit wearing a coat, with a pocket watch in hand.

“Watch wear you’re running young lady!” He said shaking his fist, “I don’t have time for this! I am late for a very important date!” With that the rabbit hurried off.

Quinn struggled to stand up again, trying to avoid birds and people. She could see the altar was only a couple of metres way and David standing their dazed and confused. She ran quickly over to him.

She fell into his arms, resting her head on his chest.

“What’s going on David?! There are wild animals loose and people are exploding! What are we to do!!?” She cried.

And she here’s a reply in a strange and unfamiliar voice with “It will be ok baby, now pucker up and kiss me” She quick let go and looks and to her shock she saw two short round men with one on top of the other’s shoulders wearing a suit. The bottom man started to laugh and the top one toppled over from the giggling of the first one. The both began to laugh and rolled on their round stomaches towards the middle of the chaos.

Quinn was stunned. This was madness.

She looked across the room, she could see smashed plates and paint covered roses, flamingo’s chasing one another, smiling cats, smoking caterpillars, dodo birds, singing oysters and cards and confetti exploding to from above the crowd.

The band still playing the same song in the background, “Yes, we’re painting the roses red, not pink, not green, not aquamarine, we’re painting the roses red!”

She slowly back up against the priest’s pillar, almost toppling it over as she slid down sitting on the ground.

“This.... This is insane.... Is so... Am I dreaming?!” Quinn said talking to herself aloud.

A voice from behind her said. “One can never tell the difference between Reality and a dream. For while in the dream everything feels and seems so very real. But once awake you realize how ridiculous it all was.”

Quinn stood up to see a young man with fiery red hair standing behind the pillar, he was wearing a tattered suit and an over the top top hat, he leaned in closer to Quinn, looking at her intently with his bright green eyes.

“Then what am I to do? How do I tell if it’s real or not?” Quinn asked bewildered.

The man drew himself even closer, “I guess you’ll just have to wake up...”

Suddenly all the sounds around her became muffled. Everything slowly began to slip away. She stood staring at the man and the floor disappeared she looked him as she fell towards and he soon along with everything else he faded away. She gasped as she began to fell surrounded by nothing but cards and red roses.

© 2011 Scarlet Larn


Author's Note

Scarlet Larn
Please ignore any grammatical errors or incorrect spelling.
I want to know what you think of the story as a whole.
What can I improve? What did you like? Is it a grabbing first chapter?

Thank you.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Totally love it, you do grab my attention in a few lines! I wish you would post the second part, so that I can know what's going on! I love the details and desription of everything aroung the characters, it makes it a fun nice read.


Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
1 Review
Added on February 28, 2011
Last Updated on February 28, 2011
Tags: red queen alice in wonderland fi

Author

Scarlet Larn
Scarlet Larn

brisbane, Redland Bay, Australia



About
I'm 15 years old and obviously I love to write. I have great ideas for novels, I have written some short stories. I also am interested in film and media and would like to start writing screen plays.. more..

Writing