Love Made-up

Love Made-up

A Story by Becky Jones
"

This short story looks at how madness creeps in when you loose a loved one. I was limited to 750 words for the purpose of English coursework, and could have made this so much longer!

"

Liza Smith sat on the number 6 bus flicking through a copy of Heat magazine to wile away the time. The extravagant lives of the celebrities amazed her. She hadn’t a car and spent loads of money each week on transport for weekly errands like grocery shopping, where she’d been now, visiting auntie, and sometimes, for getting to work, but only on the rainy days. Liza worked in a pawn shop, Exchange Mart, a regular though poor wage, and money was scarce. Especially with a dog who ate 32 tins of Cesar a week to look after, and a jobless partner who was hooked on Cathedral City mature cheddar cheese, not the cheap stuff. She and James, her fiancé, were finding things difficult, especially in this Credit Crunch.

James was searching for a job but no matter where they looked not one was available. Even their local Asda seemed unable to offer him shelf stacking, so for now he was bound in the house tapping away on the computer in the corner, or out on afternoon walks in the park, pitiful he said, for a grown man. James still technically lived with his sister but nevertheless he spent most of his time at Liza’s.

Liza had met James in a pub on Bond Street. He’d made the first move, approached her and bought her a drink. Their eyes had met the moment he entered the door, and locked together. Liza knew he was the One. A tall surly figure, dark mysterious eyes and a healthy looking tan, her dream man. Behind the counter she’d heard the barmaid snicker “Who is she talking to?” with a punter.  There was clearly a distinct jealousy, thought Liza. Doesn’t she think I’m good enough to talk to him?

She’d been afraid by his approach, owning little confidence, but looking back she was so glad they’d met and truly thankful to fate. They were even thinking about trying for a baby. She was besotted with him, and he her, which surprised her. No man had ever returned her love until James, and he was so handsome and loving and good natured she often wondered what a man like him was doing with someone like her.

Plain, pale and bland looking with a mediocre persona and a less than interesting lifestyle, there was nothing special about Liza Smith. At thirty six she looked good for her age, but had achieved little. She’d been working in Exchange Mart for the past seven years, and before that only a charity shop. Sometimes she’d go bowling with her neighbours, Kim and Darcy next door.

Liza stepped through the door of her humble home, greeted by Buster, her two year old bashful Beagle.

“Where’s my Buster? Where’s my Buster baby boy!?” Coddling him in the hallway, she’d dropped the bags by the door.  James appeared out of the living room and kissed her on the cheek.

“How’d it go darling, did you get everything that you needed?” James was so well spoken and Liza adored his smooth chocolaty voice. He picked up the bags and followed her into the kitchen. “I thought we’d enjoy a lovely bottle of wine tonight, just you me and Bust. Well, preferably without the dog if you know what I mean…” Liza giggled as her nibbled at her ears. She was passionately in love with James. He knew how to look after a woman.

 

***

 

Next door in the Granger household, Kim and her daughter Melissa, a lawyer, watched as Liza Smith walked up her pathway and entered the house.

“You should file a complaint mum, the stench out there is unbelievable now.”

“How can I? She often comes out with us Melissa, a friend.”

“Then atleast tell her about it mum, that bin is disgusting. I’ll have to stop bringing Janey round this Summer if it continues, it’s not safe for a child.”

Kim knew it was true. The state of the bin overflowing with opened tins of dogfood, still containing the meat, and smelly cheese all decomposing amongst the other rubbish was a health hazard. Not to mention weird. But she didn’t have the heart to cause trouble with Liza.

“She’s never been normal though Melissa, not since…”

“I know mum. Losing a husband and child in the space of six months would be hard for anyone. But perhaps she needs help.”

“You think she’s…crazy?”

“And this James. Her supposed fiancé. Be honest mum, have you ever seen him?”

“You know we like to keep ourselves to ourselves. But I think I saw him from behind once, walking down the road.”

“That could’ve been the gasman mum! Anybody. Seriously though, normal people don’t act the way she does. It’s like she’s living in her own make-believe world.”

“I know. But what’s the harm if she’s happy? She seems happy. The best she’s ever been since her loss. I just don’t have the heart to spoil it all for her. Perhaps it’s best to leave her to get on with her life”

“But nobody can move on like that, not in her situation. It’s like she’s frozen in time. Her heart was ripped out and Lord knows, I pity her.”

© 2008 Becky Jones


Author's Note

Becky Jones
Please let me know what you think, I haven't handed this in yet.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I liked the plot in this story it was very captivating and kept my interest throughout,there is something about the characters in the script which remind me of people i know in real life,the difficulty is always identifying where your life is going and what needs to change once you get stuck in a rut.
It seems this couple have got it made on the romance front but perhaps he needs to start supporting his partner financially instead of leaving the burden to her.
I am guessing you mean BOND STREET in london where the couple met sounds my kind of joint.
If i was marking this essay i would give you 9/10 perhaps 10/10 if there is to be a continuation or part 2.
any way well done i was hooked DA BOCH NEK.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Ok, this was just awesome. Seriously.
I loved the way you wrote this, handled it. I mean yeah, 750 words isn't much to work with, but this was excecuted exceptionally. Anyway, awesome.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Wow Becky!!!! Looking at this makes me ashamed of my own assignment entry. It was amazing and totally believable. I loved it. You'd better submit more things, gosh, girl you can write! :D xxxxx

Posted 15 Years Ago


what was the assignment but it is good



Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 1, 2008

Author

Becky Jones
Becky Jones

Rhymney, Wales



About
Hello:) My name is Rebecca, known as Becky to most, or Becca, which I tend to dislike. I am currently studying for my AS levels in sixth form. I decided to study Physics, Maths, I.t. and English. At f.. more..


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..