Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Randy Billett

Chapter 2

During my morning run, pausing at a street corner pretending to tie my shoes, I planned my route into The Vault. A secret area underneath the Eden Citizen Registration offices I learned of from my grandfather’s notes. Supposedly it was home to Pre-War Literature, books and other media that was deemed offensive or conflicted with the fabricated histories of Eden. It was here I would strike my first blow against this false paradise.

Among the documents, which lead me to The Vault, there was also official paperwork which I’m sure my grandfather liberated from the vault by some means. I could barely control myself as I read through one of the documents: A government order for the death of two “dissenters”; my parents. This led me to the idea that maybe my grandfather’s death, too, wasn’t as natural as I’d been lead to believe. So, I decided that I myself would take a trip to The Vault and see for myself what our beloved Chancellor had been hiding.

The route the notes suggested would take me up onto the rooftop of the Registration office building. Once up there, I should find ventilation grating that would grant me access to the inside. From there I would need to refer to a crude map left with the notes to navigate through the ventilation system. That would actually take me to the underground Vault level. From there it was little more than bypassing a few security measures, also covered in the notes, and entry to the Vault itself was mine.

As I “tied my shoelaces” I eyed a few pipes and fire escapes that would aid me in my ascent to the roof. Satisfied that I had a route planned out and that if I spent any longer anyone looking would question me, I stood and finished my jog before returning home to get showered and dressed for my day. I didn’t have an actual job yet, I just did occasional favours for neighbours while keeping myself supported on my grandfather’s bequeathed funds. This left my day open to prepare myself physically and mentally for what I was to attempt once darkness was upon the city and everyone was sleeping soundly in their own self-contented little worlds.

After lunch, which was at about 12:30PM, I meditated in my bedroom, playing the details of my plan in my head. As I did this I would frequently try imagining complications to the plan and ways to deal with them. I could only hope that The Vault wasn’t heavily guarded or my first truly rebellious act would likely be my last.

After my meditation I stretched, my joints stiff from an hour of sitting still, and decided I’d take a stroll to a nearby café for some tea. I preferred not to drink coffee as it tends to leave me jittery and nervous as opposed to tea which was deeply calming. And I felt I needed to be as calm and collected as I could manage right now. Three lightly sweetened cups of tea later I felt very relaxed, almost drowsy.

I walked leisurely back to my apartment and checked the time: 4:30. I guess I was really just trying to waste time now, anxious for the night. I decided that instead of watch TV, which was largely horrible programs laced with propaganda, I would take a bubble bath, soaking in the tub to further relax myself. I would often question Grandfather as to why, if civilization was so recently collapsed that all of these luxuries were available to us. He explained that although nearly all of civilization was destroyed cities still stood, lone beacons of hope in a sea of despair.

As I soaked in the lightly scented water I reminisced of times with my grandfather, and my mother and father before him. Slowly I felt my consciousness begin to slip and I pulled from the water, suddenly realizing it had gone cold, my body now covered in goose bumps. Pulling a towel around myself I checked the time again to find it was getting to be 6 ‘o clock. I decided that given my increasing drowsiness it would be a good time to take a nap, since it would probably prove fatal to break in to The Vault drowsy.

I woke three hours later, looking out my window and smiling to find darkness had settled on the city. Everyone would be asleep within the hour, so I moved to get ready for my night’s activities. Pulling on a slightly snug pair of black sweats and throwing a few tools: rope, a flash light, and few other odds and ends the notes suggested into a tight fighting low profile back pack I downed a glass of orange juice and was out the door. I took the back way; into the alleyway though to avoid anyone out late seeing me and deciding I looked suspicious. Retracing the map in my head I set out into the dark alleys to what I hoped would be illumination as to what my family had died trying to do.



© 2010 Randy Billett


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

180 Views
Added on May 13, 2010
Last Updated on May 13, 2010


Author

Randy Billett
Randy Billett

PA



About
I'm aspiring to do great things in novel writing. Just thought to share some of the stories I'm working on and not have to worry about them being stolen. more..

Writing
Chapter 3 Chapter 3

A Chapter by Randy Billett


Chapter 4 Chapter 4

A Chapter by Randy Billett