Child labor

Child labor

A Story by Cy!
"

This takes place in the Industrial Revolution, where children are forced to work in cotton factories, and mining caves.

"

July 12, 1914

78℉ ~ Sunny with clear skies


“It’s time that you work Jack.”


These were the first words my mother said on my seventh birthday. I really don’t know what that meant, but I hear that children who work get paid. And mother always had told me that with money you could get lots of things. Food, candy, a good home, bread, candy….


July 13, 1914

80℉ ~ Humid with partially cloudy skies


Today, I went to the factory. Some men showed me how to use the machines, and what to avoid. I saw many other children there working. Some my age, some younger or older. I looked at their faces, and they didn’t seem very happy. Many had dark circles around their eyes. Mother said when you get old you get dark circle and droopy eyelids.


I wonder if this factory makes you age faster, than you really should. I find this sad, because they probably didn’t have a long happy childhood.


July 14, 1914

77℉ ~ Sun peaks through the windows


I am tired, and I can barely write. I had to wake up early to go on my first day of the job. It was hot and humid, especially with a the other children around. I had to change the ‘cans’ which held fluffy cotton and replace them with empty ones.


Since I am very small it is very hard to carry these cans. I coughed on the cotton fibers that were in the air. It was hot and I could barely breath. I never felt so light-headed, I feared I might faint. I tell myself to be strong like mother to me to.


Once, I dropped a can on the floor. Cotton spilled out of it like soft, silky, snow.  Footsteps come my way as I try to pick up what I dropped.


An angry voice shouts. “Darn cack-handed kid!”


I am beaten with fierce blows from the man.


After my shift was over, I went to the cold damp bed that waited for me in the house of many other children. Covering myself in a thin blanket I cried myself to sleep.


The worst part was, at the end of the day, I didn’t have enough money to buy candy.


June 12, 1920

75℉~ Haven’t seen the sky lately


I haven’t written in some time. Today is the same day my mother sent me to work in this place. The same day I deluded myself with fantasies, of warm houses, happy children, and candy.

My birthday.


I am now thirteen years old. The doctors told me this was my last year. Of living that is. Not that they care. They just use me for work. I guess, that’s why I’m writing this. In hopes that, I can be remembered somehow. Or someone can stop this from happening to any other child.


Because I had to grow up the hard way. I would say I exactly grew up though. I more grew like a mourning willow tree. My back was constantly in pain, and I can’t take a simple breath without breaking into a cough.


Although I haven't been out much, I imagine (Or delude myself you might say) that the sky has a sun that is as bright as the day, I left my mother.


© 2016 Cy!


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very sad story. Well written and easy to read.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This is so sad :( The fact that the readers can feel emotion that the boy envokes shows how good a writer you really are! good job! Now I wanna go and cry T_T

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are very good. the logs of his days are very believable. Its also so sad that you can really feel fot the boy. very well done.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very, very vivid pictures from the off on this well written piece on such a terrible hidden trade.
Incredibly hard hitting words, really made me think about thepoor people who work in these terrible conditions.

Flowed really well written - definately an emotional read.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
matrixmark

7 Years Ago

You are a good writer and it shows.

Mark.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

364 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 17, 2016
Last Updated on November 17, 2016
Tags: children, Revolution, diary, journal entry

Author

Cy!
Cy!

Albany, NY



About
hi i like reading, writing, video games, drawing holy crap i made this account a long time ago about time i change my bio? I have decided to move my writing to different website, but i also reme.. more..

Writing
Figuring it out Figuring it out

A Story by Cy!


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Cy!


Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Cy!



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..