Ode to Technology

Ode to Technology

A Poem by Everchanging Disaster

Oh dear Technology,

how I need you so-

You light up my life, literally.

 

I give you my problems,

I lay them at your feet.

My burden was heavy and yet you can carry all.

 

How is it that we ever lived without your "divine" power?

What would I do without your cars, and air conditioning?

If it weren't for your televisions I might have to think for myself rather than

follow the teachings of the ignorant.

Oh how different things would be without your glorious pollution and by products.

The sky would be blue...what a funny concept-I've become very fond of gray.

And what would I do without my high powered rifle-

God forbid I have to work for my food,

or anything else for that matter.

How did we get by before surgery and pills, It would seem we all need them

but we didn't used to.

I suppose ignorance really is bliss.

And so a prayer for the savior of our universe...

 

For you are my shepherd, and give me all that I want.

Because of you I lie down in a sleep number bed.

You leadeth me toward my jacuzzi, and rumbling waters.

With your antibiotics I can restore my soul.

You lead me on the path to oblivion for goodness sake.

And

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death-

I will fear no evil, for thou art with me.

Your processed food and TV remote, they comfort me.

You prepare a war around me in the presence of my enemies.

Thou annointest me with guns and bombs and tanks, my cup runneth over.

 

Surely goodness and mercy shall be shown me on the day that you kill me,

And I will dwell in the house of regret forever.

 

Amen

© 2008 Everchanging Disaster


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Basically, this poem is a combination of thought-provoking observations and sarcasm throughout. Interestingly, the writer looks at all forms of technology. She compares modern society to that of the past, those days when people survived without it. Indeed, she suggests that perhaps not all of our technology is really needed, "It would seem we all need them but we didn't used to". Having said that, I am sure that the writer did not intend to trivialise the great value which technology has brought to our lives. Instead, she is simply questioning our reliance on it.

The writer's references to "surgery" and "pills", are probably to the non-essential medical help which some people now regard as vital in their lives (e.g. cosmetic surgery and headache tablets).

"How is it that we ever lived without your "divine" power? In this line, the word "divine" suggests that some of us almost worship technological strength. Her words, "glorious pollution and by products", are a sarcastic (but meaningful) comment on the negative side to our industrial output.

The tone of this poem is darkest towards the end (and more cynical). Particularly of course, in the writer's references to words such as "war", "guns", "bombs" and "tanks". Clearly, she is reminding the reader of that relationship between technology and the weapons of war.

Good writing! It holds the reader's interest throughout. Indeed, it is also quite thought-provoking!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I don't suppose I need bother explain the underlying themes, but I will do anyway. This is a poem about our society's ever increasing reliance on technology, and it's overall adverse affects. As we grow more comfortable we grow more apathetic to the negatives of technological advance, so far as to ignore the drawbacks entirely. Your poem even praises a few, such as the damage to the atmosphere with the lines "what a funny concept- I've grown very fond of grey".

As an aside, this line struck me as extremely curious. It may just be a matter of preference but I rarely find myself drawn to or interested in anything grey. The colour is dull and boring. That said, for someone to favour an unengaging grey over a vivid blue carried a rather disturbing connotation for me. It seems to convey the mind that all effects of technology are beneficial - which contrasts with your overall message but is in line with another theme. I'll get to that in a minute.

The most obvious aspect of this poem is of course, the sarcastic tone. While not immediately obvious, the tone becomes as subtle as a punch in the face about halfway through and afterwards felt somewhat like you were beating me over the head with it. I get the feeling that you could cut out about a third of the poem and achieve the same effect without the repeated pummelling ( though I do not actually suggest doing so, it would be detrimental).

In the second half you give the poem a very religious feel. Unless I'm mistaken, a number of lines are even biblical in origin. When I mentioned the mindset of "all technology is good", it ties in extremely well to the idea of worshipping technology. The negative effects of technology that you earlier praised - the grey sky, weaponry and pollution - reminds me of a sermon I once heard where "the evil that men do" (in the words of the speaker) was explained away as part of god's designs.

Actually, it's around here I hit a bit of a roadblock. You see, I would continue to delve into the technology/religion comparison, but the whole poem is dripping with sarcasm so my analogy is somewhat a moot point. As it is now, you give off the vibe that this line of thinking is only for fools. People wouldn't really worship technology like a god. People wouldn't pray to their TVs and kitchen appliances. So, the poem comes across as a rather articulate joke.

Now, I'm a little hesitant to suggest this, but I believe the poem would benefit from an extension that details how people really think along these lines. To better explain what I mean, the founding principals of Scientology are often treated as a joke, and it generally takes a bit of convincing to get someone to believe that there are really people who live by that code. You poem as it stands is comparable to those principals, and I feel that if you extended on the poem to explain how people would actually worship technology, it would strike a chord with the reader. I'm not too sure how to explain why I think this. The best I can put it is that people become more concerned with an issue the closer it gets to being personal. To shift it from an abstract concept to something that exists in real people's minds would bring it closer to the heart of the reader.

Anyway, I believe I've rambled on for long enough. There was very little here for me to criticise, so instead I did the best I could to explain what I saw in the poem. Hopefully it wasn't too long winded that you didn't come far enough down to receive my compliments; this is a well written poem that communicates it's subject with no ambiguity as to it's intent. The only issue I could find was small; so small I don't think I should class it as an issue at all. Excellently done, and I hope to read more works like this from you in the future.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Basically, this poem is a combination of thought-provoking observations and sarcasm throughout. Interestingly, the writer looks at all forms of technology. She compares modern society to that of the past, those days when people survived without it. Indeed, she suggests that perhaps not all of our technology is really needed, "It would seem we all need them but we didn't used to". Having said that, I am sure that the writer did not intend to trivialise the great value which technology has brought to our lives. Instead, she is simply questioning our reliance on it.

The writer's references to "surgery" and "pills", are probably to the non-essential medical help which some people now regard as vital in their lives (e.g. cosmetic surgery and headache tablets).

"How is it that we ever lived without your "divine" power? In this line, the word "divine" suggests that some of us almost worship technological strength. Her words, "glorious pollution and by products", are a sarcastic (but meaningful) comment on the negative side to our industrial output.

The tone of this poem is darkest towards the end (and more cynical). Particularly of course, in the writer's references to words such as "war", "guns", "bombs" and "tanks". Clearly, she is reminding the reader of that relationship between technology and the weapons of war.

Good writing! It holds the reader's interest throughout. Indeed, it is also quite thought-provoking!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is just great!... and it is very true. It's like it attempts to be serious-- but it is hard not to laugh. Amazing how technology changed everything. Especially as you say "you prepare a war around me"...

I like the form of the poem. And the mocking of old traditional poem language. "you leadeth" haha.. Very neat.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It is a true write... It is a funny write... I chuckled as I read... but had to agree with every single line that was said! :) Technology that makes our lives easier...just might one day kill us! :)

Techie ink! :p


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 28, 2008
Last Updated on November 30, 2008

Author

Everchanging Disaster
Everchanging Disaster

About
The names Loeva...as in (L0W)-[E]-{VAH} Well I am living at home. Which is probably one of the best places for me. I was into some pretty bad trouble about two years ago but I consider myself fully re.. more..

Writing