Summer 2007

Summer 2007

A Poem by Logan Carryall
"

How did you spend your catatonic summer vacation?

"

In the summer, heat was tremendously bleeting. Sweat was incredibly fleeting. Love had found no place at the county pools, and children stayed indoors not knowing what to do. There was nothing but the terror heart in men of my age, for everyone I knew had lost something good.
Everyone I knew got drunk more than me.
I got drunk alot.
One day was hot. The next day was like fall, with orchards chipping and cracking due to the constant change. And the AC seemed like an odd and callous friend, comforting one hour, ironic the next, as I would awake in a frost in the middle of July.
There were women I met. And I would know them, and walk. I would walk long distances to straighten out my head, so to say. I more often than not found hope in the girls that met me.
I always found, by dinner time, how useful they found me to be.
I was the greatest tool, in a way that got the lady's in good with someone else. I was a well tampered tampon of sorts, and the emotional discharge was enough to make anyone tend towards sleep.
Dreams have a way about them. And in some way it was better in Fall. I would dream on Fall. The days when couples complained about the sudden chill, about the lack of tanning, I would smile.
The AC came on, with cold and colder air outside. With fog boiling on the edge of the yard. I saw my breath to smile. No one finds it as comforting, I imagine, as me, to be surrounded with the feeling that everything just might ice over.
And of course, like all of the summer, I went to sleep.

© 2008 Logan Carryall


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ok....the metaphors were very well scripted...it just all seemed so humorous to me though...I thought it more a story than a poem.
Cheers,lea

Posted 15 Years Ago


Gorgeous. Just wonderful. "Dreams have a way about them. And in some way it was better in Fall. I would dream on Fall.-- love this so much. I too adore fall.
"The days when couples complained about the sudden chill, about the lack of tanning, I would smile. " --so poingnant.

Aw man. This is a such an observant poetic account of how summer really can seem draining rather than energizing. Everyone loves it .. but nowadays .. I don't so much.. seems like you don't either. I sense a bitterness in this that I strongly relate to. Summer.. is a time of romance .. of possibilities.. and yet when all your chances are flushed before your eyes.. you welcome the fall.. the dying .. the decaying .. the beauty of it all .. the summer at least is over .. with all its hot oppression and remembrance of hotter summers that have long gone... the chilly falls bring a crispness that is so refreshing and you can forget.

I loved this write. Its going in my faves.

Posted 15 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Kia
I really like your style!!!!...Good piece!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

302 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 13, 2008

Author

Logan Carryall
Logan Carryall

Upstate, NY



About
Logan Carryall is a young man who lives in the apple orchards of New York, New York. About ten minuets from the Hudson River, Logan drinks near barges and trains. The world seems much bigger without a.. more..

Writing