Sunday Bloody Sunday

Sunday Bloody Sunday

A Poem by London Calling
"

Inspired by the amazing U2 song that I listen to like a koran chant!

"

The crash of thunder and shots from a gun

hysterical mothers cry 'run children run'!

The gloom that stares them straight in the face

what is innocense doing in such a place?

 

Bodies strewn, some dead, some not.

Brave men soon to be forgot.

Freedom seems a distant drea,

A painful replay of what had been.

 

Another blast, this time a bomb.

Targets a child that did no wrong,

his death because of his going ways.

The way he lived to his dying day.

 

If Gods grace be done by war,

shoot the glory down to the floor

Erase all the life from their brain

So they'll no longer live with the pain.

 

 

© 2009 London Calling


Author's Note

London Calling
I am very passionate about war and history...twisted I know. But I just want your views on the poem.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love that U2 song too. When I saw the title I did wonder if it was inspired by the horrific killings that happened that day. You describe the horror of war well. It is so tragic when children and innocent bystanders get involved. I could not imagine what I would feel like if my son was killed in such a way.
it is good to kep these events alive and teach new generations so that hopefully we do not follow the same paths. I agree war and history are fascinating.

Posted 14 Years Ago


good work here. the message and imagery was intense and rich.

stanza 2, line 3 change "drea" to "dream".

the rhyming scheme was a tad restricitve for me, but you still made it work.

Overall great piece on "the troubles". Us Yanks don't have a good understanding of what went on during that time.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very powerful stuff. I can hear the song and I can see the news footage of the priest crouched down and waving a white handkerchief as they try and save a wounded man. It's how we were then ... We Brits. About 3,000 deaths later exhaustion led to an uneasy peace. But the old hatreds are still there beneath the surface and the peace walls are still there and the odd murder still takes place. What did all the posturing and killing prove? Boys will be boys...on all sides of an argument.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

257 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 3, 2009

Author

London Calling
London Calling

Jozi , Tattoos, South Africa



About
Mental person, who happens to enjoy writing. Love music with every ounce within me...(only decent music that is). Love poetry, love reading, love using the brain I was blessed with! Have a morbid.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..