Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Chapter 2: Australia Bound

Chapter 2: Australia Bound

A Chapter by S. Waldo

At the same time, Brianá Belle Joliet-Ducet walked into the De Gaulle Airport in Paris, France with a black, Gucci messenger bag slung over her shoulder. She had shoulder length brown hair and doe brown eyes. As she walked through the halls, people turned and stared at the sixteen year old. Dressed from head to toe in designer name brands, Brianá smiled sweetly at all her admirers. Her deep green, knee length paisley skirt brushed the tops of her tall brown boots and the girl’s shirt was an off white color with 3/4 length sleeves. Brianá wore a silver bracelet on her right wrist and a matching silver pendant. As she reached the private lounge for her jet, she reached into her bag and pulled out a manila envelope. Opening it up Brianá scanned a letter identical to Anna Maria’s and Cheska’s. Two photographs fell out of the envelope when Brianá sat down and in picking them up, the girl smiled and thought to herself ‘So these are my roommates.’ Looking up, Brianá noted the time, 10:45 A.M, she was fifteen minutes early. Taking out a sketch pad, the girl began to draw a little girl she saw playing with her doll. As the time passed, Brianá finished her sketch and looked up at the clock. The hands showed that it was now 11:00 A.M. She closed her book and tucked it back into the bag just as a stewardess came up to the girl to let her know it was time to be heading out. Brianá nodded as she gathered her bags and went to board the plane. Once she got settled into her seat with her book, Brianá  glanced out the window, her eyes gazing up to the clouds she was soon to join. 

“I hope this all goes well, I’m off to meet two girls I’ve never met and will be living with them of all things.” She chuckled and shook her head before preparing to be flown to the great land down under.


*****

The older woman sighed “That will be all for tonight my dear child. I must retire now, and so should you. Mustn’t keep your father waiting.”

“Yes ma’am.” The little girl kissed her grandmother’s cheek and slid off of her lap before walking over to her father’s side--who had appeared half way through the story. The young man, a tall and sturdy fellow of 31 years, smiled softly as his only daughter reached up for him to pick her up. He did so and kissed the girls cheek as she nuzzled into his neck and promptly closed her eyes. He shook his head at his grandmother, a stern look upon his face, before he turned to take the girl to her room. The elderly woman sighed softly and rose up from her seated position. She grasped the side table to help steady her body, then shuffled slowly to her bed. She moved the thick yet soft comforter aside and lowered herself gently onto the pillow topped mattress. Sinking down into the sheets, the woman closed her eyes. Suddenly a quiet knock came at her door and she opened her eyes to see the father back again, leaning up against the doorway.

“Grandmother...do you really think that this is the kind of story that you should be telling a six year old?” The old woman sat up incredibly fast for her age and had a fiery glint in her eye.

“What I tell my only great-grand child is none of your concern Lucas. If you recall my dear grandson, I was the one who took you as well as little Helen into MY home when you had nowhere else to go! I may be old, and I may be somewhat senile, but I am not, I repeat, am NOT going to be told what I can or cannot tell her. Do you understand?”

Lucas nodded and bowed his head. He had known not to confront the older yet still spunky woman, but he chose not to listen to his heart and instead followed what his mind had told him to do.

“Yes your Highness.”

“Good. Now please, I am very tired and would like to rest.” 

Lucas nodded again and strode to his grandmother’s bedside. He planted a kiss on her cheek, which she returned, then flicked off the side lamp. He left the room, closing the enormous door behind him. The older woman closed her eyes yet again and fell into a deep, fitful sleep. The next night and the night after that were exactly like that of the first, the little child asked for more of the story. So it became a nightly ritual that before the child would go to sleep, she would beg and beg until her great grandmother would continue the story of Anna Maria, Brianá, and Cheska.


*****


After a day of flying , a quick layover in Hong Kong for refueling, and a short trip to Brisbane, Anna Maria and Cheska waited patiently in their private lounge for their counterpart to arrive. Cheka busied herself clicking away on her cell phone, posting to various social media accounts while Anna Maria paced back and forth by the windows, twisting her lucky handkerchief between her thumbs. 

“You’re going to rip that to shreds if you don’t stop pulling at it.” Cheska commented, her eyes not wavering from the screen. Anna Maria stopped and gave a nervous chuckle. 

“I did not realize it was so obvious…I apologize.” She twisted her lips into a pout, thinking hard about something but nothing altogether. Cheska sighed and stuck her phone in her purse. 

“What is it? I can hear you thinking.” 

            "We only have two days before the term begins. How are we going to find our way around the campus before then?" Anna Maria worriedly responded. Cheska shook her head, chuckling. 

             "Haven't you done this before? Some sort of private academy that only the royal family goes to?" 

             "Well it's not a private academy, but I did go to school. I also was very well aquatinted with the campus. This is different." 

Cheska hummed, skeptical about Anna Maria's reasoning. She shrugged it off. 

             "I'm sure we will figure it out. It can't be that big." The two girls ceased conversation as their companion strode confidently through the door to the lounge, bags in tow.  

             "Bonjour!” the French girl called out cheerfully. Brianá offered her hand to the dark haired girl. 

             “You must be Cheska.” Brianá turned to the fair haired one. “And you are Anna Maria.” The British girl smiled as she shook hands with her new friend.

            “I’m so glad to meet you Brianá! We are all going to be such good friends, I know it!.” The two shared a laughed while Cheska forced a laugh. Brianá cocked an eyebrow, wondering what had this girl so moody. 

             While the trio sat and waited patiently with sodas in hand for their flight to Boulia, Anna Maria suggested they get to know one another better. Cheska indiscreetly rolled her eyes at the thought; Brianá clapped her hands and grinned. 

“Yes, that’s a great idea! Anna Maria, you start?" 

             "Oh all right. Cheska already knows this, and I'm sure you do too, but I am third in line to the throne of England." She said this with the upmost humility and Brianá could tell it was genuine, Cheska though, was doubtful Anna Maria was anything but snobby. Brianá smiled sweetly and nodded--she had known the little fact. 

             "I’ll go next. I am not actually full-blood French. My father is David Ducet, owner and CEO of Ducet International Technologies ; a computer software corporation. He is an American as you undoubtedly know. My mother, however is full-blood French. Anita Aimee Joliet.” The girl paused for breath and glanced at Cheska who seemed extremely uninterested in anything either of her companions said. 

             "Cheska, what about you? Tell us something interesting." Anna Maria smiled nicely, secretly hoping the Asian would cooperate instead of blowing up as she did previously.

“I’ve already told you what is interesting about me. There’s nothing really else you need to know.”

Brianá’s eyes narrowed and lips pursed at the shortness in Cheska’s response. It was a good thing that Cheska started fiddling with her phone, for a handsome flight attendant walked up to the girls and announced in a heavy Australian accent that the flight to Boulia was now ready and that they needed to board. Cheska was the first to grab she stuff and saunter after the young man, lustful eyes following his every step. 

A gulp of uncomfortableness sounded from Anna Maria as she and Brianá shared a hesitant glance. They then picked up their respective bags and jogged along behind. 



© 2015 S. Waldo


Author's Note

S. Waldo
critics welcome

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow this is even better than the first chapter.you are doing a great job:)

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

S. Waldo

10 Years Ago

thank you so much!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

121 Views
1 Review
Added on July 8, 2013
Last Updated on February 14, 2015
Tags: Paris, travel, meeting, France, young, story


Author

S. Waldo
S. Waldo

Huntsville, TX



About
I first fell in love with writing when I was in middle school. Throughout high school, college, and my post-graduate life, I began to write more and more. I ventured into poetry, and even started two .. more..

Writing
The Siren The Siren

A Poem by S. Waldo


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by S. Waldo