Chapter 5: Getting Settled

Chapter 5: Getting Settled

A Chapter by S. Waldo

After the quick drive through campus, the vehicles pulled to a dusty stop in front of a beautifully ornate administration building with tall steps leading to the front doors. On the bottom step was a petite woman with hair pulled back into a bun so tight, that the corners of her eyes were pulled taught, giving her an Asian appearance. She impatiently tapped her foot, clasping a beige portfolio to her chest. Patrick opened the doors for Brianá and Anna Maria, Cheska’s driver doing the same for her. 

“Welcome to Queensland Boarding School. I am Ms. Baker. I hope that your trips were peaceful and uneventful. Your drivers will deliver your luggage to your rooms, since Dr. Rosenpaul would like to meet with you to discuss housing arrangements. Follow me, if you will.” She barely smiled, as she turned on her Mary Jane heels and marched up the steps. Anna Maria, Cheska, and Brianá exchanged curious glances before Cheska led the way up the stairs after Ms. Baker. Inside the building were pockets of students waiting in line to see their varied advisors for the scheduling of classes. A few of their eyes wandered over when the group made their way through the people and to yet another set of stairs. One of two people began to whisper rumors�"they recognized Anna Maria. At least three people bowed their heads slightly in respect. The young girl blushed, hoping she would not have been so quickly seen and recognized. She had enough attention at home as it was. Brianá noticed this and slipped her arm into her friend’s, hooking her hand into Anna Maria’s elbow. 

“Don’t worry about them, we’ll show them that you’re just like them.” Brianá whispered in French. Cheska snorted ahead of them, eavesdropping like a child. 

“She’ll never be normal. She’s a princess.” Ms. Baker licked her tongue harshly at those words. 

“We do not tolerate hostile words between students here. You will mind yourself Ms. Nagasaki, or you will be put on probation until further notice.” Cheska rolled her eyes as she mimicked what the secretary has saying.  The lady brought the trio to the third floor and straight to a frosted glass door with script reading ‘President’s Office’. She held open the door and followed the girls inside. Motioning to waiting chairs, Ms. Baker settled herself in her desk chair and began ticking away at her keyboard, entering the new student information into their school wide database. One by one Cheska, Briana, and Anna Maria were called into the inner office to speak with Dr. Rosenpaul. The tall, slender, man of aboriginal decent strode silently out of his office after speaking with each girl. Anna Maria smiled politely and Briana nodded. Cheska remained slumped unladylike in her chair. 

“Due to shortness of available rooms, I have deeded that the best learning experience to be had from this is to put the three of you young ladies in one of our largest housing units. It is a three bedroom two bath unit in our Darnell Hall dormitory.” He closed his eyes and sighed at the noises of protest from Cheska; and he chose to ignore her childish outburst. 

“Ms. Baker here will give you your keys as well as directions and welcome packets. You have the rest of today to settle in. Tomorrow is orientation starting at the Johnson Coliseum. I hope the three of you can work out your differences. I see great potential in you all, do not make me regret those words.” With that, he turned of his heel and went back to his office, the door shutting with a bang. 

“Well then. You heard the doctor. Here are your packets,” the secretary said curtly, handing each girl a smooth folder in the school’s white and blue colors, “You will find a map of the school, financial aid papers, a list of emergency numbers, move-in information, and a list of our dining options here at the school. Follow me please.” The girls scurried to gather their personal bags and trotted after the speedy Ms. Baker who was already out the door and ten feet down the hall. A short trip back outside and to the building next door, a rusted brick, one story structure. She opened the door to show off a sunlit atrium with classrooms all around it. She gazed around over the tops of her glasses, looking like a ninety year old woman, before spying two young men and a girl chatting with each other by a bench. 

“Master Crowman! A word.” 

Anna Maria’s eyes wandered to the young man, her jaw dropped as she recognized him as being the sandy haired cowboy from earlier! The young man sauntered over to the new group and touched his fingers to his brow in greeting to the newcomers. 

“Yes’m Ms. Baker? To what do I owe this pleasure?” He flashed a smile at Anna Maria who blushed and turned to Briana.

“Tyler, I’d like to introduce you to Ms. Anna Maria, Ms. Briana, and Ms. Cheska. They’re new and I want you to show them to Darnell, make sure they get situated. No funny business either!” The secretary pushed her glasses back up to the bridge of her nose before peering at each student expectantly. Tyler nodded politely. 

“Yes’mam secretary,” he chuckled and coughed at her stare “Ms. Baker I mean. I got this. C’mon ladies, your castle awaits!” He motioned to his companion, who leaned in and pecked the girl on her cheek before loping over to the group. Dr. Rosenpaul’s secretary clicked her tongue, knowing all too well what the two rogue’s were up to. She left the group and headed back to her secretarial duties as the second young man came up. 

“Greetings! I believe you three were in the caravan that showed up her this morning? I’m Ari Tchaikovsky. This is Tyler Crowman. Welcome to the school!”

He stuck his hand out for Briana to shake, she flashed him a sweet smile and cooly shook his hand. Tyler turned to Cheska, “I know you, you’ve been on the front page of the Empire for a week. Your father right? Emperor of Japan, leaving some university to his son, who in turn made the university fall into ruin. right?” He feigned innocence upon seeing Cheska’s smooth features turn to hardened ice sculptures. Briana and Anna Maria both turned surprised faces to the girl, this they hadn’t heard yet. 

“Why you�"“ she started angrily. 

“Cheska! Don’t you think that we ought to find our apartment before anything else?” Anna Maria interrupted



© 2015 S. Waldo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

151 Views
Added on April 12, 2015
Last Updated on April 12, 2015


Author

S. Waldo
S. Waldo

Huntsville, TX



About
I first fell in love with writing when I was in middle school. Throughout high school, college, and my post-graduate life, I began to write more and more. I ventured into poetry, and even started two .. more..

Writing
The Siren The Siren

A Poem by S. Waldo


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by S. Waldo