Introduction

Introduction

A Chapter by S. Waldo

15 April 1835


How I remember his voice, so smooth and deep; I think that is what ultimately won my mamá’s corazón. She was the very image of the Virgin Mother, with hair so brown that it was nearly midnight, yet wildly curly like the serpents of Medusa. She is of Spanish royal blood; however those that reside on our beloved Hispanola and Puerto Rico are not as fond of her as my Papí and I are. The people adored Papi very much. They never questioned his trade for it brought them fortune; and he never intentionally harmed the innocent�"at least not to my knowledge. 

Mamá grew tired of my treasured Caribbean; she longed to be home in Spain. When Papi was away on a voyage, my mama decided to whisk me back to Espana; we did not stay long enough to say goodbye to Papi. Though I was just eleven years old, it broke my young heart to leave the islands behind. Once we made port in Europe, I would sit up on the rocks, staring out at the raging waves of Oceano Atlantico for hours on end, waiting. However, I eventually became accustomed to the silence from Papi and grew tired of wasting precious time. My mother forced my to occupy myself with activities of a more feminine nature. Over the next four years, I was trained in how to be a proper lady.

Around my fifteenth birthday, I was offered a position as part of the  guardas for Her Royal Highness Eva Mercedes Fracisca de Borbón, Princess of Asturias. Fortunately, I was well liked in the court and had many young �"and old�"suitors. Through my mother, sister to Her Royal Majesty Queen Maria, I was able to gain a position of influence among those at court.

For the next five years, Eva and I grew to be quite close, some called us lovers. She soon filled the empty cavern in my heart that my father had left. We were inseparable to the point that she had me share her bed for fear of monsters in the night. I studied with Geneviva, everything from mathematics, to world navigation, to various languages. On the night of my twentieth birthday, a messenger came from my mother’s villa, bringing word that she had fallen ill with a fever. Without so much of a word to anyone save from Eva, I saddled my stallion and began my long ride home to Vigo. 

My mother eventually recovered, though still not well enough to do more laborious work around the grounds as she had been so accustomed to doing. Throughout the summer of 1834 until June of 1835, I took up the responsibilities my mother used to have. I hired a full staff for Mamá and Amancio, her manservant, and gave them someone to look to for guidance. I was happy at the villa, but not entirely. From the day I saw my mother fall prey to the fever again, this time, not recovering, I knew I could not stay there. I needed to spread my wings, stretch my heart’s aching muscles, rediscover myself and move on. 

Here is my tale of vengeance, love, misfortune, and adventure; vivir haste los confines de la tierra

Graciella



© 2015 S. Waldo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

183 Views
Added on July 6, 2015
Last Updated on July 6, 2015


Author

S. Waldo
S. Waldo

Huntsville, TX



About
I first fell in love with writing when I was in middle school. Throughout high school, college, and my post-graduate life, I began to write more and more. I ventured into poetry, and even started two .. more..

Writing
The Siren The Siren

A Poem by S. Waldo


Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by S. Waldo