Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by S. Waldo

A cool, cloudless night had fallen and the Amor de Cofresi had been traveling at a steady pace. Henri stood solid at the helm, steering them silently through the dark. Once they had put England far behind them, Graciella had sat down with Marie and discussed their situation. The girl was to be in Graciella’s charge until she turned twenty, then it would be further decided what was to become of her. 

Marie was fast asleep after her trying day, but Graciella couldn’t get the image of her father’s dead body, swinging in the afternoon smog, out of her head. She rolled out of the bunk she graciously shared with her new friend, and grabbed an oilskin blanket. She strode out of her cabin, wrapped in the blanket to keep the salty mist from soaking into her skin. 

Upon reaching the main deck and leaning against the railing, she looked up to see the stars peeking out from their lazy daytime nap. They glittered and sparkled in the darkened sky like precious diamonds on silky velvet. Graciella could pick out the patterns of ancient gods, ranging from Cassiopeia to the hunter Orion. 

As the young woman welcomed gusts of wind, the quiet sound of pipes wafted down from the crows nest. Graciella tied the blanket around her waist and proceeded to climb towards the music. The night crew paused their duties and watched silently, seeing a much softer side of their captain than ever before. 

“Ah Marco, I thought it might be you playing such sweet melodies.” Graciella whispered as she poked her head through the bottom of the platform, spying her young employee.

The boy nodded shyly, continuing to play his piped flute. Graciella climbed further in and perched herself on the rail of the nest, her legs straddling the wood. She closed her eyes and listened to nothing but the sweet notes spinning a lullaby from her childhood. 

Hush my sweet, dry your eyes

Let the waves sing your lullaby

Go to sleep, worry no more�"

Your mama is here, it will be all right. 


Graciella began to sing softly, surprising even herself. She heaved a sigh before opening her eyes to stare into the midnight waves far below. 

There is no fear, no hurt, no sorrow

Now we’re home, never again to run

Let the waves wash the past away

Hush my sweet, dry your eyes

Let the waves engulf you, it will be all right.


Her voice trailed off into a whisper; and broke as she finished the last line. Marco watched his captain in silence before braving wrath from her by speaking out.

“That was beautiful ma’am. Very sad.”

Graciella hummed in agreement�"withholding herself from crying. She sighed again and turned her head.

“Marco, I pray you never have to go through such pain as I have in my lifetime.”

“What do you mean?”

The woman chuckled and slid off the railing to sit beside the young man. She wrapped her blanket around the two of them so they wouldn’t get chilled in the cool air.

“I mean, you have your whole life to find a wife and to have a family. I am past that point.”

She folded her arms against her chest and snuggled in closer to the boy. 

Marco knew he should keep his emotions from getting his better judgement; but he felt he needed to comfort the sorrow filled woman. He adjusted his arm so it rested around her shoulders, and her auburn hair laid against his rapidly beating heart. 

“Surely you will be able to do the same señorita. This will end eventually, sí?”

He felt her shake her head, the scent of her hair�"lavender and sea salt�" wafting to his nostrils.

“No Marco. I’m afraid it won’t be over for a very long time. This is my fate, my destiny now. It has been pushed into my lap and it is the only path I see myself taking. I have built my company from what your father left to me; and it will serve well as a cover. But no, this is my life.” Graciella smiled though, despite her depression.

“I love the ocean, and I am happy to be returning to the islands. I have missed them so.” 

Marco chuckled, he felt comfortable enough to speak freely.

“I have never been away from España. It has been my dream to travel the exotic places in our world, but never as a pirate!”

“You do not have to stay Marco. I will put you on a ship back to Spain if you wish to return to your brother. I trust the both of you to run the company just as I want and your father would have wanted.”

Marco quickly shook his head. He wanted to be by Graciella’s side for as long as she needed. She sat up away from Marco and looked him dead center in the eyes, her blue one’s not blinking as she questioned him again.

“You are certain? This will not be an easy journey for you. It will mean running for your life, fighting to the death�"many of whom you will cause yourself. Is that something you are sure of?” 

The young boy nodded, a smile spread across his face. Graceilla returned the smile before standing up and glancing out at the moonlit sea around her.

“It has been a long day Marco, go get some sleep.” she said softly, rustling the boys hair. Before he had a second to say anything, Graciella had disappeared below, sliding down the ropes like a monkey and slipping silently back into her warm bunk.



© 2016 S. Waldo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

122 Views
Added on May 2, 2016
Last Updated on May 2, 2016
Tags: pirates, pirate, adventure, spain, caribbean, sea, ships, sailing, england, fiction, history


Author

S. Waldo
S. Waldo

Huntsville, TX



About
I first fell in love with writing when I was in middle school. Throughout high school, college, and my post-graduate life, I began to write more and more. I ventured into poetry, and even started two .. more..

Writing
The Siren The Siren

A Poem by S. Waldo


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by S. Waldo