A Story to Calm The Storm

A Story to Calm The Storm

A Story by Kyle
"

“Daddy, how long until the storm passes? I’m scared!”

"

A tree branch crashed against the window, the winds howling.  I held my daughter close; I could tell that she was terrified by the storm brewing outside.


 “Daddy, how long until the storm passes? I’m scared!” Annabelle looked up at me with frightened eyes. Lighting flickered outside as another clap of thunder caused the house to shake a bit. “Hopefully not long, darling.” I said in the calmest voice I could muster.


Knowing my daughter was scared, I needed to think of something quickly that would ease her nerves. Running my hand through her golden hair, I held her head against my chest. Out of nowhere, a lightning bolt struck down the street. Our lights blinked on and off a few times before ceasing completely. “Daddy! The power! I’m scared. It’s dark daddy, it’s dark” Without any electricity inside to light our house, I knew she was going to panic. “Don’t worry sweetie, daddy’s here to keep you safe.”


I stood up, still holding my daughter as I made my way into the kitchen to light some candles to hopefully calm my little girl’s fear of the dark. “Does that help, Annabelle dear?” I ask softly as we made our way back to the recliner in the living room. She simply nodded her head, eyes still locked on me as we sat back down in the chair. “Daddy, tell me a story. The one of you and Mom. Tell me, pretty please with sprinkles and a cherry on top” Annabelle blinked her tiny eyes, wanting me to begin. “Yes sweetie, I’ll tell you a story of your mother and me”


It had been twenty-three months since my daughter’s mother, my wife, had passed away. I knew that Sarah was in a better place but I often wondered why she had been taken away from me and Annabelle.  “You want to hear the story about the time I first meet your mother?” I asked, seeing my daughter nod her head with a bright smile, I began.


“March 24th, 2007. I’ll always remember that day. I had just got out of class and was in the library studying for my statistics class. At the time, daddy wasn’t doing so good with the school work. I wasn’t sure if I would be able to get a good grade. Basically sweetie, your dad was pretty confused and didn’t know what he was doing.” I looked down at Annabelle, her eyes still trained on me as she was focused on the story I was passing on to her. Maybe one day she’d tell the story of how her grandparents meet to her children.


“As I tried to figure out one of the problems, I got frustrated and slammed the book shut. I guess it was pretty loud, next thing I know mommy was rushing over to my side. It was the first time we had ever talked, though I had seen her around the campus a few times before” I stopped the story as I felt my daughter pulling on my sleeve. “Mommy helped you with it, didn’t she daddy?” With a smile, I nodded my head. “Yes, your mother helped me with the homework. Have I told you this?” I inquired with a raised eyebrow. “Many many many times” Annabelle replied with a giggle. Of course, it was one of my favorite stories to tell my daughter. You don’t forget the first time you talk to the person who would end up holding your heart until the end of time.


“Want me to continue?” I asked softly, glancing out the window as the storm continued to rage in the night. Annabelle again nodded her little head so I continued my story of the first time I talked with Sarah. “Your mother helped me figure out the problems. She helped me find clarity just as she did many times during the course of our short time together. I’ll never forget her light blue eyes, the golden locks of her beautiful hair. You remind me so much of her. Anyways, I was really shy dear and I didn’t ask for her number. When she stood up and began to go to her next class, I rushed down the hall.” I laughed a little, remembering all of this in my head like it was yesterday. “Your daddy is clumsy; I kind of tripped and fell to the floor. Your mother heard me fall and turned around and saw me lying on the ground. As I sat up, she was reaching her hand down for me. I took Mommy’s hand and she helped me off the floor. It was the second time she had helped me, the first with the homework.”


Feeling my daughters breathing begin to slow its pace, I knew the story was calming her and keeping her mind off of the chaotic weather outside our walls. “Annabelle, at that moment I asked for your mother’s number. As our eyes meet, I just felt something. It felt right. I knew she was the one I wanted to be with. Was it love at first sight? I believe so. Your mother gave me her number and that evening we meet up at the park and just sat and talked for hours and hours. Whenever I was with your mother, it was like time didn’t exist and nothing else really mattered.”


I paused for a moment, smiling as I thought about Sarah and I sitting on the park bench while feeding the geese at the pond. “Your mom and I were out late that night and let’s just say her daddy wasn’t too happy with me when I walked her home.” I leaned down and kissed my daughter on top of her head, “It’ll be the same way if you’re ever out late and keep your daddy worried.” I whispered.  “It was a great day; I’ll always remember it just like it was yesterday.” Deep down, it felt like yesterday. Sarah had been taken away from us way too soon but I knew I had to be strong because of the precious child who was now sleeping in my arms, safe from the storm.

© 2012 Kyle


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Beautiful story. :) Amazing how you showed the story as to how the dad and the mom met as something to ease their daughter's nerves.

I have to suggest to be careful with the verb tenses. Sometimes you're switching between past and present. Avoid that so your reader won't get confused. :) Also, maybe you can separate the dialogues so the story looks more organized.

Aside from those minor mistakes, this was a great read!

Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful story. :) Amazing how you showed the story as to how the dad and the mom met as something to ease their daughter's nerves.

I have to suggest to be careful with the verb tenses. Sometimes you're switching between past and present. Avoid that so your reader won't get confused. :) Also, maybe you can separate the dialogues so the story looks more organized.

Aside from those minor mistakes, this was a great read!

Keep writing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

351 Views
1 Review
Added on June 10, 2012
Last Updated on June 10, 2012
Tags: hurricane, storm, life, fatherhood, parents, kids, children, death, acceptance, parenthood

Author

Kyle
Kyle

Huntington, WV



About
Kyle. 27. Ohio University C/O 2012. Married to my lovely wife, Carolyn. more..

Writing
Refuge Refuge

A Poem by Kyle


Marisol Marisol

A Story by Kyle