The Wildplanet Part 0

The Wildplanet Part 0

A Story by Michale Rune
"

A Prelude to a Short Story I may yet one day write.

"

Picture somewhere at the edge of the galaxy, no the universe and pick a spot on the horizon of known space. If you do this and then look immediately to your left you will find my planet. It is not a large planet, but average sized with gravity little less than ancient earth’s own. It is a green planet and from its farthest of three moons all the subjective observer would see is a green sphere somewhat reminiscent of a feline eye. The surface of my planet is mostly covered in great forests not the giant seas that we are accustomed to seeing on maps. There is water on the planet and for this reason and others the planet is rich with life. In the forests dwell tribes of ape like animals that made war on each other for eternity until they were enslaved by another race. In the seas and rivers and lakes many lobster like creatures thrive though their numbers too have been shaved away by the coming of the Space People. For millions of years the planet survived like any other, save lacking one key feature; intelligent life aware of the thousands upon thousands of miles of beauty that covered the wild planet. That was, until the Space People came.

They came in their thousands descending in fiery pillars from the heavens to conquer the world from the grip of the wild gods. With their mastery of fire and light and lightning they tamed the world and its beasts and beings until they had reshaped the green wild planet into a more accommodating figure. And so when they had used up the last of their elixirs, and their tools fell to dust were the men from the stars no longer on an alien world but their own. They originally classified it a “Geo-Sphere”, but over time as they settled into their new existence as a land tethered people it became Josfur and so it stayed. And men being men they expanded and sent out rootlets like a young plant until where there had been one town there was now two and where two, three, until the world was filled with the noise and vitality of the race of men. But Humanity is a race that has the ability for both great goods and great evils and so many times did man make war on man. And so in the burning of towns and in the struggle to survive did the weak and stupid become weeds before the sun and the men of Josfur were hardened and toughened.

Between the times of peace and war the men fought the land as well. Though the Geo-Sphere had appeared a rich and fat land in reality Josfur was a wild beast starving and alert for blood. Many times a village was destroyed by beasts from the great forest, or boats sunk by the jaws of great sea monsters from the depths below.  So after many thousands of years the Johs-Fu came to be a hardy people that thrived on even in the hardest times. They used even their last breaths to shout their defiance into their enemies’ faces. Because of the nature of their world they were actually physically weaker than their ancestors. The atmosphere had changed their ability to breathe as much air as they once had, and their gravity being lower than earth made their muscles become less.

And so it came to pass in the days when men were weak and brother fought against brother and the planet of Josfur was covered by war and destruction did a ship approach from the far heavens and begin its descent on the wild planet. 

© 2013 Michale Rune


Author's Note

Michale Rune
What do you think? Interested in more?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A good beginning! So is ancient earth our earth? Or is he referring to his own "ancient earth?" Ape like people I presume are humanoids (human primates) who have ruined their own planet through abuse and neglect (sort of like us!) - I see a parallel with pollution and global warming here.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 31, 2013
Last Updated on August 31, 2013
Tags: Space, Civilization, Aliens, War, Death, Beginnings

Author

Michale Rune
Michale Rune

WA



About
I'm a long time reader of Fantasy, Sci-Fi, and interesting Fiction. I like to write when I can, but I have trouble building my stories to conclusions. I hope that joining this site and becoming a memb.. more..

Writing