Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Dinner with Friends

Dinner with Friends

A Story by Longing for Home
"

Stopping for a late lunch at Olive Garden, we are privileged to witness an extraordinary exchange.

"

They came in together, small and frail, with clothing that was old and frayed.  She had a bandage over her eye; he was holding her hand as he guided her to the table.  “Let’s sit on the same side of the table,” she said.  And, so they sat, side by side, quietly perusing the menu, discussing, with a great deal of interest the many different dishes to choose from.

At one point, she was fussing with the bandage, and he gently leaned over and moved her hand away.  “Why is my eye bandaged?” she asked for the third time. 
He leaned over and lovingly whispered his response in her ear—for the third time.

Their order came, and she made sounds of satisfaction with each bite.  He silently sat and watched her enjoy her lunch, answering her questions of “What is this again?” over and over.  She acted as if she hadn’t enjoyed eating in years.  “This is such a treat!” she offered.  “Why can’t we do this more?” “Because then it wouldn’t be a treat,” he replied.

They discussed a particular dessert that she saw on the menu—she asked him, “Do I like strawberries?”, to which he lovingly replied, “It is your most favorite, my love.” “We’ll order two.  One to share here, and one to enjoy later.” And she clapped her hands like a small child.

While they were sharing their dessert, she inquired, “How long have we been married?  I hope that it’s been a long time....” and the sadness in his eyes was deep.

Kevin and I watched and listened to this loving exchange during our entire dinner.  When the couple’s server delivered the check with the dessert meant “for later”, Kev quickly took it from her before the husband could see.

We may have given them the gift of a free meal, but they really gave us so much more....

© 2008 Longing for Home


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a sweet, touching and sad story. I don't know which is worse--losing ones physical or mental health. How good-hearted of Kevin to pay their bill.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This touches me personally because a member of my family is suffering from dementia. This story shows true love, how people should care for each other when they take their wedding vows. Your word choice is simple, but it hits deep cords, and the message is very touching. This is true beauty.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Simply beautiful write that doesn't have enough words in a dictionary to describe how much it touched my heart. Well Done! P.W.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh! This piece brought tears to my eyes. It has been a very long time since a piece has done that lately.
Thank you for sharing this story. Heartbreaking and heartfelt all at the same time. I am speechless...


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a wonderful story, I really touches my heart when I see someone do something for someone else. Excellent poem, hope more people read this poem and follow your example. Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

356 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 27, 2008

Author

Longing for Home
Longing for Home

Madison, WI



About
Who am I? I am a mom (with an indomitable spirit) of 3 young adult children -- one of whom suffers from Paranoid Schizophrenia. I am the wife of a very gentle soul. I am an employee to a savage co.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..