Insert Coin

Insert Coin

A Story by Jason Scott
"

The author reminisces about his first time playing a video game in an arcade.

"

Insert Coin

My First Time


I grasped the token tightly in my palm as I walked through the mall. I was in a rush to get to the arcade, as this would my first time there. I wanted to try out a video game. I had heard of them before and had seen them tucked into the corners of convenience stores and in the back of pizza places, which piqued my curiosity. But I never had the opportunity to actually play one until now.


It was a Friday night and the mall was bustling. My eager anticipation grew as I drew closer, until it finally came into view just past the food court. The arcade's garish neon red sign stood out like a beacon, and I was drawn to it like a moth to flame. I could already hear the sounds emanating from the arcade.


I suddenly slowed my pace as I walked in. The arcade's darkness immediately enveloped me and I felt like I just entered a place not of this earth. I was immersed in a cacophony of noise from alarming sound effects to catchy little diddies and garbled robotic voices. Bright colors and flashy graphics seemed to leap from the video game screens as they attempted to lure one in. Elaborate art work adorned the video game cabinets, depicting beautiful fantasy worlds and breathtaking space battles, all trying to entice the player. Simply put I was helplessly mesmerized.


The arcade was packed and I was overwhelmed with choices, what do I play? I slowly walked through the arcade checking out the machines. I noticed a game where some strange orange creature with a large nose was navigating a colorful pyramid. Another machine so big you had to step into it. The kid playing the game was immersed in a bright blue glow as he had to manipulate some type of trigger controller. Next I came across a game involving a short fat man with loud squeaky shoes who was climbing ladders and jumping over barrels. Another machine I couldn't see the screen at all, as the big kids had it surrounded. But I could clearly see the artwork which depicted a bipedal alien grasping a missile.


As I continued to browse the arcade one game seemed to threaten me as I walked past it. An intimidating alien voice bellowed “Beware I live!” I then saw the sit down version of Star Wars and I really wanted to play it! But the line of kids waiting their turn was impossibly long. I was able to get a glimpse of the bright green wire frame graphics, allowing me to witness the exciting dog fight the player was in with the Tie fighters, so cool! I then witnessed two kids playing a cocktail football game that featured black and white graphics with X's and O's to represent players, which even back then was primitive!


It occurred to me that my options of what game to play would be limited. I happened upon a game that had no one surrounding it and nobody playing it. I opened my clenched fist to see if the token was still in my hand. Not only was it still there, but I had squeezed it so tightly in my hand that it left an imprint in my palm! I apprehensively inserted the token into the slot. It made a loud metallic clunk as it dropped in, giving away how empty the coin box was.


I stared blankly at the game screen for several seconds not sure what to do next. Until I finally noticed “Press Start” flashing passively right in front of me. Feeling somewhat foolish I eagerly looked for the correct button to press. Upon finding it I quickly slapped the 1P button. The game started and it was then that I realized I had no idea what to do! Before I even had a grasp on the joystick I was already dead, a high pitched robotic voice mocking my immediate demise.


My character flashed as I was given a 2nd chance. I lined my man up to shoot one of the menacing robots, which proved to be much harder than it looked. In my frustration I got too close to the wall and it turns out they were electrified and I was instantly vaporized. Maybe I should have tried reading the instructions first.


But on my third attempt I fared a lot better. I stayed away from the walls and even took out several robots. However as I made my way to the other side of the maze a strange smiley face emerged from the opposite side. It spoke in a barely intelligible voice “Intruder alert Intruder alert!” It pursued me in a comical fashion, bouncing like a ball. I escaped the maze but was taunted for doing so. “Chicken fight like a robot!”


However when I did enter the next maze I was instantly gunned down by the robots who had suddenly become very aggressive, continuing to shoot me long after I was dead. And just like that my game was over very quickly, just like it would be the case for my first time at other things.


I stepped back from the machine wishing I had more tokens. But from that point on I would become hopelessly enamored with video games. And over 40 years later I still play them.



© 2022 Jason Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

42 Views
Added on April 29, 2022
Last Updated on April 29, 2022
Tags: Video game, Arcade, Reminiscing

Author

Jason Scott
Jason Scott

St. Petersburg, FL



About
I enjoy short story writing. I welcome criticism. I simply want to share my writing. I initially started posting short stories on Facebook that I called "Snipits" Because they were VERY short in lengt.. more..

Writing
Hero Hero

A Story by Jason Scott