Thorny love

Thorny love

A Story by Lonti Buzzfern

There he was just sitting in the room, talking animatedly with my brother. Just one look at him and I knew I’ll never forget him, never forget those beautiful eyes, blue like an ocean and seemed so inquisitive. His hands moved with every word he said and that slight dimple on his right cheek just took my breath away. At that moment I also knew he’d never be mine.

It was my first day back at my mom’s house. It had been two years since the divorce and for two years I hadn’t stayed with my mom for more than a day, nor had I spent any time with my brother but this year my dad let me come after a huge fight. Two years back when everything was normal we used to live in San Francisco. Everything was fine, we were a happy family until my dad decided to end his marriage for no reason at all. It wasn’t until late that I got to know the real dispute. My brother and I were 15 and 13 respectively. When the incident took place I went into a shell whereas he fought and fought with both of them. After the whole trial when mom got his custody and dad mine, we both sulked since I had to move to L.A. but before I boarded the flight, which marked my not coming back there for full two years, he hugged me tight and whispered into my ear that whatever happens he’ll never stop loving me, doesn’t matter how far I am or how much I change, he’ll never give up on me. I was teary eyed at that moment as something like that coming from my brother’s mouth was a miracle. He had always been an introvert and a stoic. He never told anyone anything, nor did he express his emotions much. The first time I’d heard him talk in a loud voice was when the divorce had happened. My brother’s name is Luke and I’m Ivy.

When I finally mustered up the courage to walk inside the room, they both got up. Luke grinned at me and gave me a huge hug.

“Ivy I missed you so much.” said he while still holding me in his arms.

“Of course, I missed you too brother. I missed our fights most.” I said while poking him teasingly. The other guy was just staring at us all the while. Luke finally went back to his senses and introduced us. His name was Ray and he was in the senior year with Luke. Ray held out his hand as he said hello and I eagerly shook it. I would have hyperventilated just looking in those oceanic eyes if they were both not there. Luke and I talked a little more before mom called him in the kitchen.

There we were just sitting alone in the room. He scrutinized me for a while, whilst I staring at the ceiling. He finally broke the awkward silence as he asked me “How old are you.” I said “I’m going to be 15 in another 10 days. I’m a sophomore in high school.” “Your eyes seem a lot older, you know. You don’t look like a 15 year old.” “Well, thank you” I said as I blushed. It wasn’t the first time somebody had told me I looked older for my age. Again the awkward silence resumed as Ray looked at me some more with those inquisitive eyes. Luke finally came in again with a box of chocolates and unasked for all of us jumped in to eat it. They were finished before I could actually say their name. Even my mom was surprised when I went to return the box in the kitchen. She smiled at me and shook her head. I didn’t go back in the room to avoid Ray’s curious gaze, however, I went to the back porch with a book in hand to read it on the swing.

I sat there on the swing for a while, taking in the beautiful view of the house’s backyard. It was mesmerizing to my eyes as I had forgotten how much I loved this place. I loved the soothing golden mountains, the ever present cool wind and even the people who’d say hello to anybody passing by. As I sat there I couldn’t help thinking about Ray. I couldn’t help thinking about his curly jet black hair or his muscular arms or even his little scar on his left eyebrow. Just then as if reading my mind, the porch door opened. Ray walked through it and started towards me. I looked at him as he came and sat down beside me on the swing.

“Your brother’s on the phone and it’s probably going to take him some time. So I figured I might as well get acquainted with you more.” he said with a devious smirk on his face, which was actually pretty cute.

“Luke never spends much time on the phone.”

“Well, he does now.” Another smirk appeared. “Does he have a girlfriend? Okay now that’s news. I never would have though Luke, my brother, would ever have a girlfriend. Gosh you’ve changed him.”

He laughed and I was awestruck at that sound. His laugh resonated in my ears for another five minutes and even after that I never really could forget it. “Well, I don’t know,” said he “if I changed him but Lisa sure did. She’s a lovely girl really, you’d like her. Anyways, tell me do you have a boyfriend?”

I snorted, “Nope never had one and probably won’t have one either.”  He smiled and said “Oh really.”

“Yeah, actually I have ego issues with guys and they usually infuriate me with their chauvinistic remarks and when I fight they just can’t seem to handle it. So I’m one of the hater-type-girls.” I said as I once again heard his fascinating laugh. “You’re really funny though.” I smiled as he said that.

“What about you. Do you have a girlfriend I can tease you about?” I asked mockingly. Somehow his face turned from utter glee to gloomy. With a straight face while looking at the mountains he replied “I don’t believe in love and truthfully girls are just better far from me.” My face must have shown disappointment because suddenly he changed the topic. “Anyhow do tell me about your favorite authors. I’m dying to discuss books with you since Luke told me you’re a novel junkie.” I laughed and for some time we just talked about novels, characters, the storylines and the settings. Mom then called us for dinner and we got up reluctantly still discussing.

After dinner when Luke and I went to see Ray off by the gate, I must have stared at him for a second longer because when I turned Luke was looking at me funnily. His mood somehow drastically changed from contentment to disappointment.
“Ivy be careful. Don’t fall in love with him. You’ll both only get hurt nothing more.” Luke said and then turned and went straight to his room, leaving me there aching as I pondered over his statement. 

© 2012 Lonti Buzzfern


Author's Note

Lonti Buzzfern
This is my first attempt at writing a love story. Please do tell me if you think it's any good. I'll post more chapters soon.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

158 Views
Added on July 29, 2012
Last Updated on July 29, 2012
Tags: Love, heatbreak, romance, family, divorce.

Author

Lonti Buzzfern
Lonti Buzzfern

India



About
I'm a very crazy girl or so my friends say. I'm an a avid reader of fiction. I love some of the classics too. Writing for me is expressing my emotions in the truest form and I love it. I write from my.. more..

Writing