It Snowed Again Last Night...

It Snowed Again Last Night...

A Story by Jeff
"

There's just something about waking up to snow...

"

Ryan reached for Karina as he was coming out of a sleepy haze, but she wasn't there.  He sat up and found her; bent over so her elbows sat on the window sill, her forehead pressed against the glass and her light brown hair pushed back behind her ears.

 

"Good morning, beautiful."

 

His sudden intrusion startled her out of her silent reverie. "I didn't realize you were awake!" she giggled.

 

"Just woke up." Ryan groaned as he stretched. "Whatchya looking at?"

 

Karina smiled her irresistable smile, danced a little happy dance and pulled Ryan to the window, "It snowed last night!"

 

Ryan wrapped his arms around his beautiful girlfriend and inhaled her sweet scent, relishing in the feel of her skin against his.  Karina hugged his arms and lay her head back against his chest.

 

Ryan kissed Karina's cheek and asked, "What do you say we ditch work and walk down to that little diner on the corner and have some breakfast?"

 

Karina turned to Ryan and kissed him on his lips, "I say let's do it!"

 

The couple walked hand-in-hand down the empty street, laughing about the finer points of the '24-hour bug' and salivating about what they were going to have for breakfast. After eating, they took two coffees to go and walked around the city; window-shopping and taking in the sights that they were normally too busy to notice every other day.

 

Karina stopped to adjust one of her boots. Ryan turned to look at her and, for the first time in a long time, he was overwhelmed by her beauty.  It had been too long since he last stopped to take her in as he was now; the way her bangs danced across her eye brows and lashes and cascaded down the side of her face, her intensely expressive chocolate brown eyes, her full lips that naturally curved up at the edges, the way she looked in his jacket and a pair of jeans... even the way the snow was landing on her was perfection of beauty that Venus herself would be envious of.

 

Karina noticed a change in Ryan and smiled, "Ground Control to Major Tom. Can you hear me Major Tom?"

 

Ryan blushed, when he realized that he had been caught staring, "I couldn't help myself. You're just so beautiful."

 

It was Karina's turn to blush now.

 

He helped her to her feet and wrapped her in a tender, loving and passionate embrace that took their breath away. They had been together for three months. Ryan knew that there was something truly special about Karina, but it wasn't until this very moment that he realized that he would never feel about another woman the way he felt about her.

 

"I love you."  He had said it before.  He even thought that he meant it before.  Saying it to her, in the snow, it felt like it was the first time he had ever said it.  A tear formed in his left eye and threatened to fall.

 

Karina had heard those words before.  She had even said them before, too.  Hearing him say those words to her, in the snow, she finally knew that they were real and not just words people throw around.

 

They didn't hear the plow until it was almost too late and had to dive out of the way into a very large pile of snow to avoid being squashed like bugs.

 

That night, Ryan and Karina sat together on the sofa watching old movies and feeding each other popcorn and ice cream.  At the end of 'The Maltese Falcon', they put their bowls in the sink and retired to the bedroom.  Karina had taken her contacts out and was wearing her cat's eyes glasses, her hair in twin braids resting on her shoulders.  She stripped down into a light pink cami and a pair of white boy shorts.  Ryan was already dressed for bed in a pair of loose-fitting flannel lounge pants and a ribbed a-shirt. They made sweet love before falling asleep, tangled in a lovers' embrace.

 

The next morning, Karina reached for his warmth as she grudgingly relenquished sleep's hold of her. He wasn't there.  He wasn't anywhere.  She called out to him and he responded by entering the room, bringing her breakfast in bed.

 

Ryan smiled as he set the tray, "It snowed again last night."

© 2008 Jeff


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very nice short story, what I especially enjoyed is that it is a very realistic "And that's when we knew" moment, as opposed to being so perfect it comes across as too surreal. Because people do act the way portrayed here, it's very easy for the reader to picture the events as they occur. Keep up the good work. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh - that would be the perfect day. Playing hookie with someone you love - new love, fresh like the snow and full of anticipation and charm. So sweet in the ordinary sense of them doing what you do in a 24 hour period but made special by their togetherness. Sharing popcorn and a movie, looking into each other's eyes and finding the wonder and excitement of just being together.... Ah, this feels good - just good enough to do again....

Kath

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It was a good beginning and it made me want more! It flowed well and kept me interested! What else happens?

Tina

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

what a beautiful and romantic story... while the last thing i want to think about right now is more cold and snow -- i really enjoyed this ... i had to laugh at the part with the snow plow and nearly getting smashed like bugs... because isnt that the darn truth... sigh

great writing... very enjoyable story... i can almost see this turning into a series... these characters coming back again...

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
Entirely loving and romantically sensual. I take it u guys wear the same size clothing hehe! Very beautiful words here :) Im sure u'll get first prize!!

Mikey

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow. youve gotta get a good placing in that contest. wow. its just so sweet. idk.. kinda not sure what to say about it. its just so sweet. i wish i was the girl. things feel so perfect. i love the snow, and this made me love it more. ive got to share this with some people.

-kristin

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Such a sweet ending! Maybe it turned into the 48 hour flu?

Gorgeous descriptions and every girl's dream.

Oh, and it's snowing here now. It's such an exciting meteorological event. We turn into children with the white flakes.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Very nice short story, what I especially enjoyed is that it is a very realistic "And that's when we knew" moment, as opposed to being so perfect it comes across as too surreal. Because people do act the way portrayed here, it's very easy for the reader to picture the events as they occur. Keep up the good work. :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Awww! Such a cute story! ^-^ Heheh. I loved that. It was adorable. :D The imagery and emotion were really great too. :P Keep up the good workk. :]

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This was such a sweet tale of new love. The young couple taking the pleasures the day brought with the new snow, and a "sick day". I enjoyed reading this. Great write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

379 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2008
Last Updated on May 20, 2008

Author

Jeff
Jeff

Boothwyn, PA



About
more cat pictures more..

Writing
Still Still

A Poem by Jeff



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..