Life

Life

A Story by Jeff
"

I just finished reading "The Meaning of Life" by Sad Little Read Angel and it got me thinking, 'What do *I* think it's all about?'

"

"Oh life is waiting for you. It's all messed up but we'll survive."

-Our Lady Peace

 

"Life is a b***h and then you die..."

-Forget who said that

 

"The secret of life is a good cup of coffee."

-Faith Hill

 

"The secret of life is there ain't no secret... and you don't get your money back."

-Faith Hill

 
So what do I think it's all about, in the end?  I don't think I've ever really put too much thought into it.  Not because I don't/can't care; usually when I get lost in thought, something shiny catches my eye and I get distracted. Sad but true.

 
I really don't think that there is a "Meaning" in or of life.  We were put here for one of two reasons:

1) The amusement of the higher powers that be. Let's face it, from an outside perspective, people are pretty hilarious.

2) An experiment by the higher powers that be to see if it's worth expanding.  Right now, I gotta tell you: I think we're failing.

 
I'd rather think that it's the first option.  It gives me a warm feeling inside to know that someone/thing somewhere is getting a kick out of the fact that this morning, I threw coffee all over myself for no apparent reason and slipped on a tiny patch of black ice as I was trying to get to my office and landed flat on my back.  And that was just this morning!  Who knows what I'll do before the day ends?

 
I agree with Sarah (if I may be so bold as to call her that) in that there isn't a universal purpose and that we all have to make our own way.  One of her reviewers had asked, "What if killing people makes someone happy?"  I am sure that for everyone that gets off on hurting or killing people, there is at least one person who gets off on locking creeps like that up.  For some, eating a good sandwich makes them happy.  For others, there is no greater joy than to make a good sandwich for someone else to enjoy.

 
The key is to find what makes you happy, surround yourself with like-minded people and search out those who enjoy feeding into and off of what makes you happy. Once you've done that, you find someone who is willing to tolerate all of you (and you them) for the rest of your natural lives and start the cycle over again.

 
... but that's just my opinion.  I'd love to see what you think.

© 2008 Jeff


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i think life is what you make of it - the good the bad and the ugly... you can live a happy life poor and a s****y life wealthy...
i like your last paragraph a lot... its so true... you need to surround yourself with good peoople...

great and interesting piece... nicely done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked what you wrote. At first it kind of made me sad becasue I agree that there doesn't seem to be a reson for life. But it ended on a more positive note. And I agree with that. We can find happiness even just for a little while. And over all I like what you wrote becasue it made me feel something and it made me think about it.

Thanks, Tina

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Worthy thoughts. I love the fact that you don't take yourself too seriously. The MEANING OF LIFE in a warm and inviting tone.

I think--that we're here for many reasons. Our purpose changes as often as the direction of the wind. Today my purpose just may have been all about reading your anecdote about coffee and black ice. I like your words.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wow!! i agree with this 100%! i definatly agree with your two choices and i definatly want 1 to be true cause there has to be a reason why i do all these stupid things. of course we probably are failing 2. keep writing!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

384 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 11, 2008

Author

Jeff
Jeff

Boothwyn, PA



About
more cat pictures more..

Writing
Still Still

A Poem by Jeff



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..