Leave Out All The Rest

Leave Out All The Rest

A Chapter by Jeff

Austin and Jessica had saved us the pair of seats behind them.  As we boarded the bus and took our seats, it was fairly plain to see that the flush of our cheeks wasn't just from hurrying to pack up and make it to the bus in time.

Austin and Jessica ogled us, waiting for us to speak first. We were inclined to let them stew.

Finally, Austin caved. "So did you two finally do it, or what?"

"The truth?" I asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, d****t!"

Lauren and I looked coyly at each other, without looking away from the love of my life I answered, "That's none of your damn business."

Jessica opened her mouth to protest, but Austin knew well enough to let it drop and conveyed the message to her with a quick shake of his head. Jessica grudgingly conceded, but Lauren and I knew that the two of them were not about to give up on getting all the sweaty details, even though there technically aren’t any. Well, at least for the time being they were leaving us alone.

I took Lauren's hand in mine, "I've been thinking..."

Austin chimed in, "I thought I smelled something burning!"

I shot Austin a look so fierce that he flinched. Lauren and Jessica laughed at him.

To Lauren, I said, "Since I woke up this morning, I've had this fear that I won't be leaving anything worth-while, if at all, when my time IS finally done..."

Lauren kissed my cheek reassuringly, "Honey, we're just kids, what are we supposed to leave behind?"

"I guess that's not really what I meant. I mean," I was acutely aware that both Austin and Jessica were listening intently to our conversation, "present company excluded, I don't think anyone will notice that I'm gone. It’s not that I want to be remembered for doing something great or fantastic…” I shrugged, “I just want to be remembered..."

Lauren, more compassionate than I had any right to deserve, pulled me to her; pulling my ear to her chest and caressed the back of my neck as she whispered, "As long as this beats, it beats for you. As long as this beats, you will be remembered. Fondly."

A tear formed at the corner of my eye. Even Jessica cuddled into Austin's embrace in the sincerity of Lauren's words. I pulled Lauren's hand from my neck to my heart implying the same in return. She raised my head to kiss me softly on the lips.

I leaned back against the window and Lauren took her rightful place, her head on my heart. "Mmm, nice and strong. Just like you."

"You are entirely too good for me. You must know that. I don't know what I possibly could have done in this or a previous life to ever deserve someone as wonderful as you, but I'll gladly do it a million times more."

Lauren simply shook her head at me and patted my cheek before drifting off to dream in my arms.

I whispered in her ear, "When my time comes, forgive the wrong that I've done. Help me leave behind some reason to be missed. Don't resent me, and when you're feeling empty; keep me in your memory and leave out all the rest."

Lauren smiled sleepily, "Give it a rest Chester; you're not nearly as bad as you think you are."

Jessica whispered to Austin, clearly confused, "Why did she just call him Chester?"

Lauren mumbled incoherently and then fell asleep on my chest. I answered for her, "We have a little game where I'll say a few lines of a song and if she gets it, which she usually does, she'll address me as the artist. I sang a few lines of 'Leave Out All the Rest' by Linkin Park and the lead singer's name is Chester."

"Aww, that's so sweet!"

Austin looked at me, "You two are so weird."

“Don’t hate ‘cause you’re jealous.”

Before drifting off with my arms wrapped around the best thing that’s ever happened to me, I whispered to Lauren:

“I cannot be all I want

Just now

But someday…

I will be more”

 

Lauren smiled in her sleep and held me a little tighter. I kissed the top of her head, wrapped my arms lovingly around her, “It’s all because of you.”



© 2010 Jeff


Author's Note

Jeff
At the end of the chapter, Brandon whispers to Lauren the final lines of an AMAZING poem ('My Last Poem') by a *true* talent, WritersCafe's own Emily Burns! I sincerely wish to thank her for allowing me to use her words in my story and can only hope that I haven't let her down.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

a very sweet chapter... full of love and all those good things...
great continuation of the story...

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
Rating
Added on December 4, 2008
Last Updated on December 22, 2010
Previous Versions


Author

Jeff
Jeff

Boothwyn, PA



About
more cat pictures more..

Writing
Still Still

A Poem by Jeff