Leaves

Leaves

A Poem by Vian
"

You know that feeling, when you're walking down the side walk one Autumn day...

"

Leaves


You know that feeling, when you’re walking down the side walk one autumn day and your foot happens to land on a perfectly crunchy leaf; the feeling of intense satisfaction that wells up inside you at the sound of the crisp destruction of a dead leaf. Then after, as you walk, you purposefully bring your attention to the leaves on the ground and look for an equal crunch to satisfy the uncanny need to turn the leaves into nothingness.  That is a perfect illustration of human evilness. This is the same feeling that spurs a man on to make the dreams of a human crunch into nothingness. It is the same satisfaction destroying a leaf as it is in destroying a hope. That’s why, after your first time, you crave the delicious noise that indicates destruction of a once cherished dream and look for more and more victims to the point where you don't even notice the strange dance you’re doing along the side walk in hopes of another crunch.  


The thing is, no crunch can ever rival that first accidental sound. Never again will that sound be replicated, in fact, any subsequent leaf-crushing crusade will be entirely spurred on by some obscene satisfaction of a sound that does not even exist in your memories anymore. Thus, every leaf crushed into oblivion was a leaf crushed in vain.

© 2014 Vian


Author's Note

Vian
Make my day, review.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Hey nice write and very interesting thoughts, I like the easy narrative style, which makes this very easy to read. Each leaf has a life and a separate identity.

this looks good as it is, to format I put it in MS word then centralise etc, then copy and paster the whole thing back again. Does that help?


Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing me! And, I think I will leave it as it is, thanks.
Leigh

10 Years Ago

Absolutely



Reviews

It was very different, before i read this i was like leaves really, a poem about leaves. Although i gave it a chance and read on anyway.
It actually has a deep meaning to it, and its a very interesting way to view things.
I think i get it, your saying if your the kind of person who likes to destroy leaves, you get a thrill out of it. Then your most likely a person to destroy people and laugh at someones mistakes or misery.
At least i think that's where your coming from.
Its very deep, and makes you really look into the meaning behind something as simple as leaves :)
Great write :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing, and leaving an interpretation too.
cimmy wuv xxxooo

10 Years Ago

your welcome :)
I had a couple of favorite lines: "This is the same feeling that spurs a man on to make the dreams of a human crunch into nothingness" and "no crunch can ever rival that first accidental sound. Never again will that sound be replicated, in fact, any subsequent leaf-crushing crusade will be entirely spurred on by some obscene satisfaction of a sound that does not even exist in your memories anymore." These are the lines where you really mash up the metaphor with the narrative. I would like to see a little less explaining and a little more description/meditation on "leaf-crushing" itself.

Posted 10 Years Ago


There is an autumn enchantment you've placed on these words... one that brings forth that chill, haunted air and makes the horizon come to life in fall fire. This is more than poetry.. this is magic.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much for the too kind review. You have made this day a better one.
If I were to utilize a single phrase to describe this, it would be, "Terribly beautiful." The metaphor you used, describing leaves to our own complex natures, is absolutely flawless. It seems that you have peered into the darkest corners of human souls to conjure this, and I adore it. I also love the reverse connotation you used: Typically, crunchy autumn leaves are viewed in a positive light, however you switched it around. Beauty in every letter.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

I love that you have quite simply given me all that I've wanted. Your review is so kind and pulled t.. read more
I'm stunned at how this piece turned out to be, I was not expecting that. I was suspecting this to be one of those sappy adoration poems about the crunching of dead foliage, not a piece declaring the malicious intent that all human beings secretly brew within them.
Utilizing a sound that many of us are familiar with and attributing the sound to the destruction of breaking leaves was quite brilliant, and I daresay I agree with this. Especially considering most humans pick a flower they deem beautiful, to which it most certainly dies. Well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing. I suppose I should warn you that most of my writing is anti-human. Even the.. read more
Tai Ryens

10 Years Ago

I'm quite misanthropic myself, especially hostile to certain personalities that I deem frustrating. .. read more
Vian

10 Years Ago

Try reading my Experiment 34.7 HUMAN
Oh, how deep this is! So apparently there's more to stepping on autumn leaves. This is really, really, really good~

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Cloud Composer, for reviewing the musings of the timeless and finding depth within these .. read more
I never thought about it like that, that leaf crunching was evil.
I've never tried crunching a leaf under my shoe or felt satisfied about it but I have liked to sit in the leaves and make a fort out of them with my best friend.
My dog likes to crunch leaves, I can't keep him away from them. XD
Well done! This opened my eyes to something new. ^^

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing my work!
Bluefire

10 Years Ago

No problem. ^^
It is funny how we seek out destruction even in the smallest ways, if anything leave stomping is a gateway act into later violence. A nice write, please keep adding your writing, even the small thoughts.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you, for reviewing. I think I will post something new soon...
"This is the same feeling that spurs a man on to make the dreams of a human crunch into nothingness. It is the same satisfaction destroying a leaf as it is in destroying a hope."

A splendid read and write...Thank you for sharing...:)........................

Posted 10 Years Ago


Vian

10 Years Ago

Thank you for reviewing my work, Sami.
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome...:)....................

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

376 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on November 27, 2013
Last Updated on February 6, 2014
Tags: autumn, musing, leaves, futility

Author

Vian
Vian

PebbleTown, Snowflake Chasm



About
Lord Vian is a resident of the Human Cage, as He's sure most who can read this are. This Lord unfortunately suffers from Binge-Writing and has a tendency to ignore the thing called 'Life' when consume.. more..

Writing
Mother Mother

A Poem by Vian


Magic Magic

A Poem by Vian


Orange Orange

A Poem by Vian