Orientation class

Orientation class

A Chapter by Penny
"

First four characters introduced

"
Wrapped all over in a purple towel, a petite figure came outof the bathroom. Humming in a melodius voice she headed towards her room. Shagun, the owner of this voice looked shorter and more plump in this attire. Cute. As she opened the door she hugged her mother, hwr humming now changed into a seductive old Bollywood number.She pushed Shagun away and shouted "Dress up or you'll be late for college" as she left the room.

Now, despite being good in academics and exvellent in disciplone Redwood college was still disliked by its students because it had a uniform the way schools do. Cream salwar-suit for girls. Yuck! Still Shagun looked cute in it. She glanced the mirror for a moment and then left.

Riding the scooter to college, Shagun was smiling but not singing like she always did. Why? Because she had certain questions in mind. First, how would be this college like? Second, how would she make friends here? And last, what the heck was this orientation class?

Before she could get an answer Shagun reached the place. The college was red by name but cream in colour. It was 10 AM when she parked and went to the auditorium, fashionably half an hour late. To her surprise though nothing had started yet. The miniature of an auditorium, the place was already saturated with pupils but there was no one on stage.

Luckily she found a place in third row from the back. Though, she regretted sitting there as she was surrounded by villagers, students of course, talking in their wierd dialect. What caught her attention was the seemingly sensible talks of two girls sitting ahead of her. The one right infront was a short but taller than her girl, having shoulder length straight black hair and she was dark as it seemed from her neck. The one next to her was a tall, lean girl with long black hair.

"What were your subjects in school" asked the tall one.
"Science, with maths" came the reply".
"You were among the toppers of your school?"
"Yes" the conversation progressed.
"Then why didn't you go for engineering!" She exclaimed.

The shorter one said clarifying "Aray, Mumma was after my life to have one degree atleast. Actually I am preparing for CLAT. I just cleared class 12th and this entarance without actually taking interest"

"Great going future lawyer" said the other one giggling.
Shagun raised her eyebrows in disgust. "How can someone be so overconfident". Meanwhile activity started on stage. An hour went by in introducing faculty (teachers) and singing praises of the college followed by rather helpful speeches from senior students. Then came the time to reward brilliant new comers, the interesting part.

The Top 20 were being called and Shagun gaze was fixed on stage waiting for her name to be called. The last name was calked, Ragini Pandey and the short girl sitting ahead of Shagun stood. As the proctor called out ger entarance test marks, Shagun realised they were exactly equal to hers but Ragini's school results gave her an edge. As she was giving her little speech Shagun's temper was rising. Her place was taken by an arrogant worthless girl. All this attention she was getting belonged to her. She was not going to let it go.

After that students moved out, and gathered in the lobby to note down the college timings, different for all students. Shagun had an eye on Ragini who, stood right infront of the line with her friend Ritu. Though, struggle was on to get the information Shagun reached the correct spot and pushed Ragini, hard enough to make her fall. Ritu held her and said turning back "What the f**k! Can't you see?"

"I saw everything, specially your friend's overconfidence" Shagun's eyes were red "I got the same marks as you but you got the medalwhich you certainly don't deserve."

"Go to hell! If you didn't waste your school life in cat fights you would have performed better. " daid Ragini balancing herself. "Admit it, I may be undeserving but I an better."she added with a wicked smile.
"Not for long, just wait till semester exams" said Shagun.
"Then wait till November" Ritu finally said "For your defeat" she too got furious.

Shagun tossed her hair in anger and left while the duo walked towards the parking discussing about this new challenge when someone patted Ragini's shoulder. She turned to see a tall extremely skinny, extremely fair guy smiling at her.

"Qasim!" She greeted him jovially.
"Hi Ragini! Congratulations for your award" said he smiling.
"No big deal Yaar! By the way this is Ritu" she pointed. They both said Hi to each other. "She was in our school too" added Ragini.

"When?" Qasim gave a confused look.
"She left two years prior you came" came the reply.
"Oh... What are your subjects?" He asked in a friendly gesture.
Ritu : "English, Political Science and Psychology"
Qasim : "You too have psychology!"
"And we all have english." Ragini said cheerfully. "We'll have so much fun. You know Ritu, Qasim makes great pasta" she added.

Qasim : "Dont you drag my tiffin to college at least"
Ragini : "I will. Its so yummy!" They both chuckled while Ritu excused herself for a moment. Advancing towards the gate Ragini asked Qasim "How was your other result, BBA entarance I mean."
"Better than this. I got eighth rank" said proudly.
"OMG! Duffer, then why are you doing BA then?" Her tone was wierd. Qasim kept silent for a few minutes then said "I love geography. Two years without it have made me a loser. Can't take a risk now." His tone was extremely serious.

They had reached the parking and Ritu too had come back. Bidding farewell to Qasim both sped away on Ragini's scooter while he dragged his way back home. Ragini's question echoed in his mind and disturbed him continuously. The confidence he built up in last three months shatterd suddenly and he was left to question himself whether he made the right choice. Failures of school life started to haunt him yet again.


© 2014 Penny


Author's Note

Penny
"Yaar" is the Indian equivalent of buddy or mate. It will be used in the whole book
I have introduced four characters in this chapter. Please review this piece and tell me
Are all characters well developed?
Which character you liked most?
Which one you disliked?
Which one is perfect and who needs a little work?
Does this chapter help in plot development or is it too meandering?

Please, take time and review this piece. It would be even more helpful if answer my questionsin you r review

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting starting Yaar..
Like Lucknow magic in it.
Keep going friend. i know I am late but looking for more from you friend. It is Quite interesting. You should make a book on it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Penny

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. Really encouraging!!
Penny

9 Years Ago

Thanks for the review. Really encouraging!!
Saddam

9 Years Ago

That is pretty interesting so you should make it. You're welcome Yaar.
I like the Idea! great I think.The Idea of making a novel from the experience of college

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Penny

9 Years Ago

Thanks a bunch mate, its really motivating. Glad you liked it.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

191 Views
2 Reviews
Added on May 13, 2014
Last Updated on May 15, 2014
Tags: girls, cat fight, college, insecurities


Author

Penny
Penny

lucknow, India



About
An introvert by profession, I've developed a love for writing to express my feelings. Sadly its my only talent, wanna know from you good people if I can be a writer professionaly.I dont fit into any g.. more..

Writing