Five

Five

A Chapter by Loubilou

The school bus that was carrying Ellie-May and other students to their homes came to a sudden halt, hurtling forward any child who was not properly seated.  (Fortunately nobody was hurt.)  The bus stopped suddenly because " totally unexpected to anybody sitting on the bus, including the driver, or anybody who happened to walking in the street at the time " standing there as plain as day was a giraffe.

Gasps of shock came from the children as news of this unusual sight travelled up the bus, children scrambled forward eager to see the giraffe. Even Ellie-May, who moments before was taking great pleasure in considering what punishment she should hand out to her brother, found the sight of the giraffe in the middle of the road amusing. With her nose pressed up to the front window she laughed along with the other children as they watched two zoo-keepers trying to drag the huge animal out of the road. 

The giraffe paid little attention to the scene around him, he ignored the zoo-keepers who had somehow managed to lasso a rope around his long neck whilst he ate leaves from the tall trees that lined the street.  The zoo-keepers wanting to turn the giraffe around, pulled the rope with effort when the giraffe swung his neck into the zoo-keepers causing them to hurtle across the road. This caused an eruption of laughter from the children and Ellie-May had tears running down her cheeks.  She continued to find the sight amusing as the zoo-keepers again at-tempted to pull the giraffe, but again were hurtled away. This was repeated a few more times until the zoo-keepers admitted defeat and gave up.  By this time traffic had queued up behind the school bus and frustrated toots from drivers who could not see what was happening came more and more from behind.

Then, without any reason, the giraffe turned around and walked back up the street from where it had come, leaving the zoo-keepers and onlookers surprised.  The bus and built up traffic followed the giraffe, some onlookers had taken to walking alongside the giraffe, wanting to see how this caper would end. After walking for two miles, the giraffe, who seemed to be totally unaware of the chaos it had caused, then turned right toward the zoo, the school bus headed left, towards Ellie-Mays house, the first stop on its way to take the children home.

The children were chatting and excited at the prospect of telling those waiting at home for them about their unlikely run in with the giraffe; even Ellie-May joined in with the chatter and as she stepped off the bus she waved a goodbye to everyone before hurrying up the drive to share the news.

***

Jack, still hidden under the covers of his bed, braced himself as he waited for his sister’s call. He knew that she was late home, the fact that she had not yet called him, told him so. He considered jumping over the six-foot fence at the back of his shed to hide in the forest but he discarded this thought because he didn’t want his parents to suffer instead of him.

“Jaaaack Jaaack.” It was loud and clear, and although Jack expected it, it made him jump. Jack pushed the covers away but lay there still. He knew he should move but his body did not want to respond.

“Jaaaaaack come here now.” Bile filled the back of Jack’s throat, he lifted his legs over the side of the bed and sat up. He felt sure that Ellie-May would call again and the thought caused a rush of fear to run through him equal to the fear he felt at facing his sister.  He stood and walked over to the door.

Jack walked up the garden, his stomach churned and it reminded him of the feeling he had had earlier that morning.  He replayed the day over in his mind as he walked and decided that he could not have prevented the disaster that had unfolded today.  He wondered if he explained the events to his sister she may take pity on him and not punish him.  Then he concluded that this was not an option " his sister would never give him the opportunity.  He shuddered as he walked past the Wendy house, he did not look back as the image of the open door with the bucket at the bottom of the stairs he saw before, had not left his mind.

Jack neared the back door he could see Ellie-May through the frosted glass window, she was flailing her arms and Jack knew it was at the mess he had left.  Jack placed his hand on the door handle and bile shot to the back of his throat, he couldn’t hold it this time and he spat-up at the side of the step.  He wiped his mouth with the back of his free hand, the other still on the door handle, he pushed it down. 



© 2016 Loubilou


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on July 31, 2016
Last Updated on July 31, 2016


Author

Loubilou
Loubilou

SHEFFIELD, Yorkshire, United Kingdom



About
Hi - I've been writing this story for a long time now, inspired by you nephew and niece. I would appreciate some feedback on the story. Thank you in advance. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Loubilou


Two Two

A Chapter by Loubilou


Three Three

A Chapter by Loubilou