Melody Two

Melody Two

A Chapter by Spade

 The only way to describe Prescott's, was big. It was as large was Hogwart's, but as comfy as your grandmothers'. When you walked in you felt right at place. Well, at least I did.
 It was lush and full; there was a shade of green almost everywhere, save the round concrete area my new classmates obviously walked on.
 The only thing that was out of place was the symbols on each big section of the school. There were 5 sections total, and each one had a shape of some sort atop it. One shape was a pearl pink heart, one a gold star, a emerald flower, a turquoise tear drop, and the last was a lavender butterfly.
 As I walked into the front gate, I realized I was alone. Was I the only new student here? This was going to be more awkward than I thought. I've never been one at first impressions, and I don't think that's going to change now.
 When I finally walked in, I saw a stuffy looking lady who reminded me of a hawk. Sharp features, and a head of mousy, undone blond hair. Combine that with Elmer's glue skin, a pointy nose, and odd tinted yellow lips and teeth, you get her.
 She was obviously waiting for someone, and when I had gotten closer with my suitcases, I realized that someone must be me. She waged her skinny little finger and motioned for me to come nearer, faster.
 When I finally approached her, I stopped, thinking Hawk Lady would be gracious and welcome me. Gosh, was I wrong.
 "Why are you just standing? I don't have all day, hurry along," she snapped. "You're already missing the first part of the assembly. I'll take you to your room, 399, so you can just throw your stuff in there. Then we must be on our way."
 Sure, her looks were hawk-like, but the way she talked reminded me of that rabbit from Alice in Wonderland; always in a hurry, always late. I didn't even have time to check my iPhone.
 We entered the heart building which reminded me of a hotel, only there was no receptionist and groups of girls chattering away. There was even an elevator, and as we walked closer to it I noticed something; the normally white circles were replaced with pink hearts. The pink hearts each had a number in it, 0-9, almost like an alarm system.
 Sensing my curiosity, or perhaps my lagging behind, Hawk Lady explained, "Each Chamber has 399 rooms, separated into 3 floors," She punched in 3-9-9. "Every 10 rooms on each floor has a elevator next to them. The system automatically places you in one closest to your room, depending on what room number you punch in, speeding up the process."
 My mind was spinning with thoughts (almost 10 elevators on each floor?), but the most active one was what a "Chamber" was. "Um, Miss, is a Chamber one of the buildings with the symbols on it?" I asked once we were in the elevator.
 "My name is Ms. Hosten, and yes, yes, child," she rushed all out. Was the assembly that important? "The Heart Chamber, the Star Chamber, the Flower Chamber, the Tear Chamber, and the Butterfly Chamber. Now, no more questions. They will be answered once we get to the assembly." Hm, Hawk Lady has a name. Who would've guessed?  
 We boarded off the elevator, me with my suitcases and her with her clipboard. As we rushed to my room, she gave me my key. "Don't lose this key, and make sure to lock up every night." She thrust the item in my hand while simultaneously throwing my things in the room. I quickly put the key in my pocket. Wow, this lady meant business.
 But something caught my attention before she closed the door; I saw two beds. "I have a roommate?" I inquired. "When will I meet her?"
 "Later!" she barked. Good God, it was just a question! "But for now, we must hurry to the assembly, or you'll be ignorant to the rules here."
 As we scrambled to the elevator, I thought to myself, This school is insane.










 As we just arrived at the assembly, everyone started getting up. I almost laughed, realizing that Ms. Hosten, in all her hysteria, had a point. We were late, so late that we missed everything. But the giggles climbing up my throat quickly stopped. I just missed a whole assembly explaining how things work around here.
 Oh, and I don't think many people would've taken to someone who laughs for no apparent reason.
 While everyone was scrambling out, Ms. Hosten pulled me aside, which wasn't very hard considering the size of the space we were in. The room, if that justified the space, was pretty large. It was almost like 3 cafeterias put together.
 And everything was decorated like prom, but something told me that was this school's regular. Pink and white streamers hung from every wall space between benches (which were covered in pink heart pillows!), up above. The floor was covered in white carpet, with large pink hearts every 10 feet, or so. I guess I'm going to have to get used to pink, for a while.
 "Ms. Rose," she stared, using my last name, "you have missed the meeting, as you can clearly see. This is most likely because you were late arriving, and took your time settling in. It's now your own responsibility to figure out the rules, and whatnot." And with that, Ms. Hosten, who I now vowed to call Hawk Face for her rudeness, left.
 How was I late arriving? I was here at 7:45, 15 minutes before school would've started, if it were a school day. Plenty of time to just drop my things off and do what I needed to do. And I hardly called being shoved into an elevator and getting a key thrusted in your face, settling in.
 As I stood there, debating weather to ask for help or just follow everyone else, I wondered if I would be seeing Hawk Face often. Knowing my luck, I would.
 Suddenly, a skinny girl, who looked like she could pass for 18, popped up, and my eyes widened almost instantly. She had purple hair the color of a plum, full and rich. It ran to her shoulders and was in a kawaii side ponytail. Her eyes, which were the standard Japanese eyes, were tilted almonds, her irises being the same color.
 She mirrored my expression. After a moment, she cracked a smile. But that was the last of the silence. "Oh my gosh, are you the new girl? Everyone's heard about you, and we were wondering why you weren't at the assembly. Personally, I thought you had, like, died in the airplane or something, but deep down I knew you were coming. Hey, what's with your eyes? What happened?" She paused. "I guess that's not really a welcoming thing to say to a newbie," she giggled. "Hi, my name's Mio. What's your name? With your arrival spreading like wildfire, nobody told anyone your name. At least, not me."
 I wasn't surprised she commented on my eyes, but damn, this girl could talk. And that's coming from me.
 I cracked a small smile of my own. "Hey, Mio, I'm Spade." As I reached for her hand, her smile faltered. "I'm sorry, was that too formal?" Better to ask then go around doing it to everyone else.
 She blushed slightly. "No, no, no, it's just that I thought only important people get their hands shaken. You know, like stars and stuff?"
 My small smile now turned into a full one. "Everyone's important. And my eyes? I was born that way."
 Mio blushed a little more. "Well, they're beautiful that way." Then she asked, "You look a little lost. On my first day, I was totes lost, too. But after I attended the first-day meeting, I was set straight."
 That brings me back to square one. "You see, I sort of missed the meeting. Is there anyway to...you know, get accustomed?"
 She looked thoughtful for a moment before speaking. "Not officially, no. But, word of mouth is everything." Of course she would say that. "What room do you have? You can always ask your roommate, but the bitchy ones will haze you."
 I rolled my eyes. "I've dealt with my Mother, and no b***h can amount to that."
 "You'd be surprised what vicious things these girls will do to be on top. Especially since there's only 3 boys."
 "Well, it's good to know everyone's evil. And boys don't really notice me,  so no complications there." I laughed. "Oh, and my room is 3-9-9 in the Heart Chamber."
 The look in her bright eyes faltered for a second. "Rina Mint is in that room. Normally, I would be doing homework on Saturdays, but why would I pass up this chance for that?" She grabbed my hand. "Come with me."
 Half-being-dragged and half-walking, I asked, "Where are we going? And is my roommate going to tell me how things work?"
 As we passed people, I noticed the were staring. At me, or at Mio, I have no clue. She cleared her throat. "I don't want you to be alarmed, but your roommate is one of the Top B*****s in Prescott's. I'm going with you to see her in her natural habitat."
 I could feel my face fall. "So she won't tell me anything?"
 "She might. Who knows? Nobody ever says anything to her."
 "Then how do you know she's a b***h?" We were in the Heart Chamber now, about to get on the elevator.
 Mio looked me dead in the eye as we stepped in side it. "Rina Mint is definitely a b***h. She once heard a girl was talking smack about her, so she pushed the girl down the stairs and broke her leg. The girl hasn't come back since, but rumor has it her dancing career is over because of that fatal fall."
 Great, I thought as we opened my door, the elevator ride being done. I live with a sociopath.


© 2011 Spade


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I thought it was strange that such a high-profile academy would be decorated with pink and the chambers would be named after tween-ish symbols...just my opinion, though. You're writing the dialogue really well. I do think that you could look through this and just replace some of your verbs with stronger ones, like:
"when I had gotten closer" My advice is to try to avoid using "got" or "gotten" in a story unless you absolutely can't think of anything else. Maybe say "inched closer" or something more descriptive?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Few things that could be better here and there, but I'm liking the story line.

Posted 12 Years Ago


I thought it was strange that such a high-profile academy would be decorated with pink and the chambers would be named after tween-ish symbols...just my opinion, though. You're writing the dialogue really well. I do think that you could look through this and just replace some of your verbs with stronger ones, like:
"when I had gotten closer" My advice is to try to avoid using "got" or "gotten" in a story unless you absolutely can't think of anything else. Maybe say "inched closer" or something more descriptive?

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Getting tense I like that and the thought of living with a sociopath, less of the Hogwarts can't stand potter lol, you are really filling your time with some creative ideas try spreading your wings a little more and broaden her character a little more self assured as she sounded so in the first chapter to be in charge of all situations. I will keep reading and see if it is just me, not picking holes in your ability as you are a very talented young author and I only say it as I see it. Keep em' coming

Posted 12 Years Ago


Mio seems like an interesting character and I'm warming up to Spade some.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow! This had me riveted! Love how you give your characters such wonderful personalities. I especially loved how you wound down this chapter! Can't wait to read the next! And don't worry about what other kids say about your writings. Coming from a published writer I think you are doing very well indeed. Also as an adult I find it interesting. You had me smiling in several places! Keep up the awesome work!

Posted 12 Years Ago


I got it. you'd do good in teen series. It's PERFECT. You'd do well with kids 7-13 they're interested in this kind of stuff. Although, you'd have to delete the b*****s and a******s and cuss words...

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

dang0.0

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

424 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 19, 2011
Last Updated on August 9, 2011
Tags: Melody Droplets


Author

Spade
Spade

Park Forest, IL



About
No words can describe me without being bleeped on television. :] more..

Writing
Blake Blake

A Poem by Spade


Melody One Melody One

A Chapter by Spade



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Melody Eleven Melody Eleven

A Chapter by Spade