Melody Eight

Melody Eight

A Chapter by Spade

 I walked in the room as quiet as a mouse. If Rina was asleep, I didn't want to wake her. Even if she did it to me.
 That's why I was surprised to see her sitting on the bed, listening to her iPod. She waved at me.
 It was almost 11:00 and we had to be in class by 8:30 tomorrow. "Um, Rina? You should get to bed." I said.
 She took out her head phones. "What?"
 I repeated what I said. "We have to get up early," I explained.
 She snorted. "I haven't slept before 12:00 since I was 9. Insomnia."
 I rolled my eyes and walked to the bathroom to take a shower. "Well, you should do something about that."
 "Just like you should do something about your 'I-Can't-Sleep-Alone' phobia?"
 Ouch. I turned the shower on. "That's not funny- It's real!"
 "And so is my insomnia! But you know, I always sleep better with a partner..."
 "Shut up!" I yelled from the bathroom.
 I could hear the smirk in her voice. "No? Maybe I'll ask Hunter..."
 I almost dropped the shampoo bottle. "W-W-Why Hunter?"
 She laughed loudly. "If only I could see your face right now," she said. "Relax, my songbird. Nobody's going to steal him from you."
 I rinsed the suds out of my hair and grunted. "He's not even mine to steal. But while we're talking about him...Does he have a girlfriend?"
 "No. But I would be careful around him," Rina warned.
 I shut the shower off and stepped out. Wrapping a towel around me, I asked, "What do you mean?"
 She looked at me as I stepped out the shower. "Spade. He's a sexy boy in an all girl's school, save for two other boys. Do the math." She kept staring. "Hey, what size bra do you wear?"
 "34C, why?"
 "I was just seeing if you'd be able to be a Triple Threat."
 I was at a loss. "Huh?"
 "You know, a Triple Threat. Sing, dance, act.Singing you've got down, but I don't know if you can act; that can't be too hard, though. It's the dancing I was elaborating on."
 "And? What does that have to do with my b***s?"
 "Well, you probably can't do ballet, but anything else, pretty much."
 I looked at her b***s as I walked to change into my pajamas. "You've got pretty big b***s, yourself. How are you able to do ballet?" And it was true; they looked like D's.
 "That's what we're here for, right? Making the most of what we've got and making a name for ourselves, even if it is something as crazy as "The First Big-Busted Ballerina".
 She had a valid point. Is it bad that I don't take my talent as seriously as she does? I quickly changed and walked out the closet. "Well, I'll keep that in mind tomorrow for school."
 Her eyes followed me to my bed. "You're really exited for that, aren't you?"
 "Aren't you?"
 "No."
 She switched of her light, and I followed suit. Before I could ask why she seemed so dispassionate, she spoke up.
 "Spade, have you ever sang yourself to sleep?"
 "Not that I remember. And you want to know because...?"
 I could hear her adjusting her sheets. "Before Mama started hitting me, she used to sing to herself. I don't know if it was apart of the disease, or if she was just coping after Dad's death, but that is one of the sweetest memories I have of her. Sometimes I..."
 She couldn't see me, but I turned to her. "Rina, I don't mind."
 That was invitation enough for her. At first she started out quiet, so quiet that she could be barely heard. Then, after sometime, her voice escalated. I didn't even know what she was singing. Her voice wasn't as low and throaty as mine- it was more of a tinkling sound, more delicate. I kinda wish I had it. Kinda.
  She wasn't the best, but with a little practice, I'm sure she could be a lovely singer.
 Soon, before I knew it, I was drifting off to sleep, listening to Rina's Song.










 My first thought waking up was Cut that damn phone off, but the second was Omg, I have school!!!
 
Rina attempted to throw a pillow at me, but missed. "Go the f**k to sleep!"
 She obviously wasn't a morning person (really, who is?!), so I silenced my phone. "We have school today!" I whisper-shouted.
 "Mhm, yes, we do, now let me get back to sleep."
 I scrambled to get to her bed. I shook her. "Rina, we have to be in class in one hour! I don't know how long it takes you to get ready, but that's a time crunch for me."
 She swatted me away. "All you have to do it brush your teeth and put some clothes on," she mumbled.
 I started for the bathroom. Putting toothpaste on my toothbrush, I said, "That might be easy for people who don't dress fab, but since I don't fall into that category..."
 "Shut up." I heard her grunt.
 "No!" I yelled, brushing.
 I finished brushing my teeth and washing my face. I skipped to the closet. "Rina, I'm done, so you have no excuse to stay in bed," I sang.
 After putting my face cream on, I slathered pure coca butter on the rest of my skin. If I learned one thing from Mel and Zo, it was that people appreciate a smooth skin.
 Just as I was choosing what color I should wear today (lavender, or hot pink?), Rina walked in. "Just pick an outfit, Spade."
 I shook my head. She just didn't understand. But because I needed time to do my hair and makeup, I hurried and picked purple. Pairing the white oxford and white skirt with a clutch, purple (3.5 inch) heals, a long purple pearl necklace (and matching big earrings!), and a super-slim purple tie, I was ready to begin on my face.
 Running to the bathroom (only 15 minutes left!) I quickly tied my long hair in a beehive bun and added a headband with giant purple bow the size of my foot. Pushing my thick bangs out the way, I applied nude eye shadow and mascara. "Rina, I'm done! Are you?"
 She was sitting on the bed, obviously tired. "I've been ready for the past 15 minutes."
 I grabbed my schedule, something I hadn't looked at even one time. "Hey, who do you have for homeroom?"
 "Ms. Kato."
 "So do I. Let's go," I said.
 She stood up and followed me out the door. I looked at my phone when we were in the elevator; it was 8:25. Then, suddenly, I became conscious of something. S**t.
 "Rina, I-I forgot my key!"
 "She fumbled for hers. Just take mine to go get yours. Give it back later," she dashed out the lobby. "Bye!"
 I scurried (a feminine way of running like a lunatic) across the hall once out of the elevator. I opened the door using Rina's key and grabbed mine. Then I made my way back.
 I took out my phone, but was scared to look at it. I peeked anyway. Damnit, it was 8:33.
 Knowing I was late anyway, I took my time stepping out of the lobby. The school, right across from the Chambers, wasn't a far walk.
 I studded the outside of the building as I approached it. Surprisingly, it was a normal school; none of that pink or heart stuff.
 Walking into the school, I looked for my homeroom. On my ID it said room 24. I skipped to the room, because my legs were kinda numb with anticipation and exercise is important. Tee hee. I'm smart.
 I arrived in front of the wooded door leading to room 24. I took a deep breath (a real one, not mental), pinched my cheeks for color and entered.
 Everyone who was chatting amiably stopped to look at me. The teacher, with her black bob, pulled her glasses down and said the longest sentence I have ever heard in my life.
 "Excuse me miss, but do you need an invitation telling you to be on time like everyone else in here, because if you do there is a special class for people like you, due to the fact that they can't be put in here, and I'm sure the teacher wouldn't mind another student, especially one who thinks having a wrapping bow on top of her head is stylish and wears heals that are pushing the limit like she's going out to a club after school, which you aren't thinking of doing I hope, because that would be illegal and you have homework to do after school and if you don't do your homework, you won't be smart enough to do your part in the world as an adult, as many kids don't, nowadays, and your talent can only get you so far in life because without an education you can't really do much of anything. Now, what's your excuse for being late?"
 Good f*****g God. Today was going to be one hell of a day.


© 2011 Spade


Author's Note

Spade
I tried to use 'bigger' words. :]

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Haha, the teacher's super-long sentence made me laugh. She kinda has a point...three and a half inch heels are pretty insane. I think you did a good job with using bigger and more descriptive words. :) One thing I noticed--where Rina says, "Is Opera and Rock the same?" it should be "Are...?" Nice work, though.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Nice chapter

Posted 12 Years Ago


your story is quite well written, it is also very girly. You need something bigger to focus on or a bit of depth and maybe add a bit of grit too. Then you would really have the audience. But yeah... its good.

Posted 12 Years Ago


lol lmao i coudnt help l;aughing tyhose meanie teachers oh gosh i had one it was ms atencio she was m chorus teacher i swear her eyes looked like owls !! well amzing chapter you got me hooked!!:)

Posted 12 Years Ago


Wow Spade this was awesome! Can't wait for the next chapter! keep on penning!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

280 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 23, 2011
Last Updated on August 9, 2011
Tags: Melody Droplets


Author

Spade
Spade

Park Forest, IL



About
No words can describe me without being bleeped on television. :] more..

Writing
Blake Blake

A Poem by Spade


Melody One Melody One

A Chapter by Spade



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..